Unsung Manly Movie Quotes for Every Occasion

by A Manly Guest Contributor on February 24, 2012 · 283 comments

in Movies, Travel & Leisure

Editor’s note: This is a guest post by Jon Finkel.

“I’ll be back.”

“You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya, punk?”

“Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?”

These are just a few common manly movie lines that you won’t be seeing on this list. This isn’t to say that the above lines aren’t manly–they most certainly are–but they’re manly in a tough guy, show-offy kind of way. If the character never said those lines, and simply, in the case of The Terminator, came back, or in the case of Dirty Harry, took care of the bad guy without saying a word, the story would not have suffered. It might have been less cool, but the outcome of the event and the movie would have remained the same.

In honor of the upcoming Oscars, this list of manly movie quotes honors those lines and/or speeches that not only are pivotal to the outcome of the movie, but also have manly implications in the real world and offer ways to deal with children, adversaries, evil, and groupthink. In no particular order:

MOVIE: Miracle

QUOTE: Herb Brooks: Great moments are born from great opportunity. And that’s what you have here tonight, boys. That’s what you’ve earned here, tonight. One game. If we play’em 10 times, they might win 9. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight we skate with them. Tonight we STAY with them… , and we SHUT THEM DOWN because we can! Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players, Every one of ya. You were meant to be here tonight. This is your game. THEIR TIME IS DONE! IT’S OVER! I’m sick and tired of hearin’ about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. SCREW ‘EM! This is your time, now go out there and take it!

THE STAKES: At the height of the Cold War, the underdog USA Hockey team has an opportunity to take out the nearly unbeatable Russian squad in the Olympics.

THE RESULT: This speech sparked the fire that led Team USA to beat the hated Russians.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Could anything have been manlier in 1980 than defeating Communism in its national pastime on a world stage? It might be hyperbolic to say that Herb Brooks’ speech led to the win that led to the United States’ confidence that led us to believe we could win the Cold War, but then again, it might not be. The “nine times out of ten” line is the ultimate manly motivator for anyone facing long odds.

MOVIE: Planet of the Apes (original)

QUOTE: George Taylor: Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!

THE STAKES: In the upside down world of this movie, apes are the dominant species and humans are treated like slaves. That is, until Charlton Heston showed up.

THE RESULT: The apes were forced to acknowledge the potential intelligence of humans, and it turned their upside down world, well, upside down.

WHY IT’S MANLY: What could possibly be manlier than speaking out for all of mankind? This line established Taylor as a man to fear and made certain apes question everything they believed in. Sometimes, when you can’t take it anymore, you have to speak out and put it all on the line.

MOVIE: ROCKY BALBOA

QUOTE: Rocky Balboa: I’d hold you up to say to your mother, “this kid’s gonna be the best kid in the world. This kid’s gonna be somebody better than anybody I ever knew.” And you grew up good and wonderful. It was great just watching you, every day was like a privilege. Then the time come for you to be your own man and take on the world, and you did. But somewhere along the line, you changed. You stopped being you. You let people stick a finger in your face and tell you you’re no good. And when things got hard, you started looking for something to blame, like a big shadow. Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that! I’m always gonna love you no matter what. No matter what happens. You’re my son and you’re my blood. You’re the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, ya ain’t gonna have a life. Don’t forget to visit your mother.

THE STAKES: After all Rocky has been through, he is watching his son grow up to be a finger-pointing coward. Rocky’s kid, like many in his generation, wants to blame everyone else for his lot in life instead of his own actions and choices. Rocky can’t watch his son go down that road.

THE RESULT: Rocky gets his son to believe in himself and to understand the value of taking responsibility and being your own person.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Nothing more manly than teaching your son how to be a man.

MOVIE: Crimson Tide

QUOTE: Capt. Ramsey: Mr. Hunter, we have rules that are not open to interpretation, personal intuition, gut feelings, hairs on the back of your neck, little devils or angels sitting on your shoulder. We’re all very well aware of what our orders are and what those orders mean. They come down from our Commander in Chief. They contain no ambiguity. Hunter: Captain… Capt. Ramsey: Mr. Hunter. I’ve made a decision. I’m Captain of this boat. NOW SHUT THE F*CK UP!

THE STAKES: An armed United States nuclear submarine may or may not have been given orders to launch its missiles and start World War III. Captain Ramsey, played by Gene Hackman, believes he has orders in hand, while his second in command, Hunter, played by Denzel Washington, does not. Hackman, like any man in charge, will not tolerate insubordination. While losing your cool is rarely manly, it is occasionally necessary to let people know who the boss is.

THE RESULT: Captain Ramsey forces Hunter into mutiny, which leads to a drawn out battle of wills over whether or not the sub has orders to launch. In the end, the order was not given and WWIII was avoided, but Ramsey’s bulldog leadership style makes the Navy rethink their nuclear launch strategy.

WHY IT’S MANLY: With the fate of the world hanging in the balance, Captain Ramsey will not accept any dissent in the ranks. While many of us have dealt with difficult colleagues, Ramsey doesn’t have to worry about being politically correct on a nuclear sub. He says what many of us would like to in our own version of this event, only he does it to defend the orders he has to effectively end the world as we know it. Having the courage to believe in convictions on that level is nothing short of manly.

MOVIE: Gladiator

QUOTE: Maximus: My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

THE STAKES: After Maximus has his entire life ripped from him by Commodus, he faces him for the first time on the floor of the Colosseum. Maximus’ entire existence and the existence of Rome hangs in the balance.

THE RESULT: Maximus strikes fear into the heart of Commodus and gives the Senate, as well as the Roman people, hope that the dream of Rome will one day return.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Defying an evil, unworthy emperor who is driving the world’s greatest empire into the toilet is always manly. Plus, Maximus’ line pulls off the triple crown of revealing that he’s alive, that he’s furious, and that he’ll have his revenge, in this life or the next.

MOVIE: WARRIOR

QUOTE: Frank Campana: Look at me! Look at me! Why are we here, Brendan? Why are we here? Are we here to win this fight? You tell me, ’cause if we’re not, I’ll throw in the towel right now. We’ll get Tess and we will go home. You don’t knock him out, you lose the fight. Understand me? You don’t knock him out, you don’t have a home.

THE STAKES: Brendan, a washed up UFC fighter, is getting pummeled by the greatest mixed martial artist alive in a nationally televised tournament for a ton of cash. He’s been fired from his job, he’s about to lose his house, he’s broke, and he has a wife and child to support. His trainer, Campana, reminds him about everything he is fighting for between rounds.

THE RESULT: Brendan rallies to defeat the incredibly intimidating Koba. No need to give away the ending of the movie for those who haven’t seen it, but needless to say, good things happen for Brendan after this.

WHY IT’S MANLY: With the current state of our economy the way it is, there are a million Brendan’s out there who would kill for the chance to make all their troubles go away in one shot. Brendan has it with this tournament. He is an overwhelming underdog, but he has much more to lose than any other fighter. When his longtime trainer reminds him of what’s at stake if he loses, Brendan rises to the challenge. His winnings will save his house and his family; nothing more manly than that.

MOVIE: PATTON

THE QUOTE: PATTON: Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

THE STAKES: Not to overstate it, but the outcome of World War II was on the line at the time of this quote.

THE RESULT: The United States was not on the losing side of World War II. Patton’s famously gritty and potent rhetoric obviously wasn’t the only thing to lead the US to victory, but it inspired the men who went on to lead the US to victory.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Patton was a controversial leader, to say the least, but he was the leader of the United States Third Army which captured a larger number of enemy prisoners and freed more enemy territory in a shorter time span than any other army to date. You can’t do that without knowing how to light a fire under those in your command. Leading men into battle to defend freedom and the American way is manly no matter how you slice it.

What are your favorite unsung manly movie quotes? Share your picks with us in the comments!
__________________________________

Jon Finkel is the author of The Three Dollar Scholar: Awesome Advice for Acing Life’s Major Decisions and Mindless Debates. He has written for GQ, Men’s Health, ComedyCentral.com, and The New York Times, among other publications. Follow him on Twitter @3dollarscholar or visit www.thethreedollarscholar.com

201 DiM February 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Star Trek First Contact:
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We’ve made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And *I* will make them pay for what they’ve done.

Man on Fire:
Elderly Man: In the church, they say to forgive.
Creasy: (as he readies a Type 69 RPG) Forgiveness is between them and God. It’s my job to arrange the meeting.

202 Tim February 27, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Best. Speech. Ever.

203 Ray February 27, 2012 at 6:24 pm

“The Professionals”
At the end of the movie Lee Marvin is called a bastard. His response”Yes sir, in my case an accident at birth. But you sir, are a self made man”

204 Miller Industries February 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm

“What one man can do, another man can do.”
“Never feel bad for a man who owns a plane.”
- both from The Edge

“When you kill with your hands there is a reverence.”
-The Hunted

“Load my shotgun with elephant-shot. We’re gonna hunt down these sickos.”
-The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

“He saved my life, you know. Thirty years ago. I was knifed at a bazaar in Calcutta, and he carried me to the hospital on his back. ”
“Who stabbed you? ”
“He did. There was a price on my head, and he was a hired assassin. Stuck me in the gut with a shiv.”
-The Royal Tenebaums

205 Manshway February 27, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Maximus Meridius is definitely the manliest…”Is this not what you came for? Are you not entertained??” Badass.

206 shane February 27, 2012 at 8:20 pm
207 capt-ronin February 27, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Better than a movie: a classic treatise on bushido, the way of the warrior, by Yamaga Soko:

“In matters of leisure, let others go first; in matters of labor, be first yourself. What warriorhood requires as duty, moreover, is in this one thing above all — in emergencies and combat you shouldn’t defer to others.”

I pray that I can live those words.

208 shane February 27, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Johnson: “Virginia needs all of her sons Mr. Anderson.”
Mr. Anderson (Jimmy Stewart): That might be so Johnson, but these are my sons! They don’t belong to the State. When they were babies I never saw the State coming around with a spare tit. We never asked for anything from the State and never expected anything. We do our own living and thanks to no man for the right.”
Shenandoah (1965)

209 phil February 27, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Kingdom of Heaven has gotten brought up twice already, but there are two more awesome, manly quotes from that movie worth listing:

Background: During the Crusades, Godfrey, one of the only remaining uncorrupt Christian lords in the area of Jerusalem is dying, leaving his land and title to Balian, who only recently discovered he was the lord’s son and only recently arrived in Israel.

Godfrey (Liam Neeson): “Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath. *slaps Balian* And that is so you remember it!”

Background: Balian is the leader of the Christian army set to defend Jerusalem after the main Christian force has abandoned the city. A far-greater Muslim army is outside the walls of the city preparing to attack. Balian speaks to the entire city.

Balian: It has fallen to us, to defend Jerusalem, and we have made our preparations as well as they can be made. None of us took this city from Muslims. No Muslim of the great army now coming against us was born when this city was lost. We fight over an offence we did not give, against those who were not alive to be offended. What is Jerusalem? Your holy places lie over the Jewish temple that the Romans pulled down. The Muslim places of worship lie over yours. Which is more holy? [pause] The wall? The Mosque? The Sepulchre? Who has claim? No one has claim. [raises his voice] All have claim! … We defend this city, not to protect these stones, but the people living within these walls.”

210 Seth February 27, 2012 at 10:59 pm

To those hollering about “Braveheart” or “Godfather” not being on their list, what part of UNSUNG do you not get. Those movies and quotations are heavily used.

Now, nobody in this forum has mentioned one of the most manly, overlooked, albeit questionable (from historical and film perspective) movie…”13th Warrior”. There are many great quotations, events and lines. Here is a link to some preparations before the final battle.

211 Darrell February 27, 2012 at 11:06 pm

John Wayne: “I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” – The Shootist (1976)

John Wayne: “…remember this, every man who signs on for the (cattle) drive agrees to finish it. There’ll be no quitting along the way…not by me, not by you.” — Red River (1948)

And one of my favorties from the Outlaw Jose Wales:

Josey: You be Ten Bears?

Ten Bears: I am Ten Bears.

Josey: (spits tobacco) I’m Josey Wales.

Ten Bears: I have heard. You’re the Gray Rider. You would not make peace with the Blue Coats. You may go in peace. Josey: I reckon not. Got nowhere to go.

Ten Bears: Then you will die.

Josey: I came here to die with you. Or live with you. Dying ain’t so hard for men like you and me, it’s living that’s hard; when all you ever cared about has been butchered or raped. Governments don’t live together, people live together. With governments you don’t always get a fair word or a fair fight. Well I’ve come here to give you either one, or get either one from you. I came here like this so you’ll know my word of death is true. And that my word of life is then true. The bear lives here, the wolf, the antelope, the Comanche. And so will we. Now, we’ll only hunt what we need to live on, same as the Comanche does. And every spring when the grass turns green and the Comanche moves north, he can rest here in peace, butcher some of our cattle and jerk beef for the journey. The sign of the Comanche, that will be on our lodge. That’s my word of life.

Ten Bears: And your word of death?

Josey: It’s here in my pistols, there in your rifles. I’m here for either one.

Ten Bears: These things you say we will have, we already have.

Josey: That’s true. I ain’t promising you nothing extra. I’m just giving you life and you’re giving me life. And I’m saying that men can live together without butchering one another.

Ten Bears: It’s sad that governments are chiefed by the double-tongues. There is iron in your word of death for all Comanche to see. And so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron, it must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life… or death. It shall be life. (he takes his knife and cuts his hand. Josey does the same and they grasp each others hand.) So shall it be.

212 Tim February 28, 2012 at 1:17 am

“Words are what men live by. Words that they say and mean.”
John Wayne in The Commancheros

213 John February 28, 2012 at 2:03 am

I think this first one from Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is fitting for any man today.
[His voice very hoarse] “Just get up off the ground, that’s all I ask. Get up there with that lady that’s up on top of this Capitol dome, that lady that stands for liberty. Take a look at this country through her eyes if you really want to see something. And you won’t just see scenery; you’ll see the whole parade of what Man’s carved out for himself, after centuries of fighting. Fighting for something better than just jungle law, fighting so’s he can stand on his own two feet, free and decent, like he was created, no matter what his race, color, or creed. That’s what you’d see. There’s no place out there for graft, or greed, or lies, or compromise with human liberties.” “…Great principles don’t get lost once they come to light. They’re right here; you just have to see them again! ”

Finally, one little quote from Finding Forester
“Someone I once knew wrote that we walk away from our dreams afraid that we may fail or worse yet, afraid we may succeed.”

214 GDF February 28, 2012 at 8:07 am

“dont give up, dont ever give up”
- Jimmy V Espys speech.

215 Mark February 28, 2012 at 9:26 am

“A warrior does not give up what he loves, he finds the love in what he does.”
- Nick Nolte playing Socrates, from The Peaceful Warrior

216 Jerome Patrick Shannon February 28, 2012 at 9:43 am

“Are you f*cking with me?”
-Zombieland

“Get to the chopper!”
-Predator

217 Craig February 28, 2012 at 11:26 am

“Well you may not know this, but there’s things that gnaw at a man worse than dying.” – Charley Waite “Open Range”

218 Caleb February 28, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Don’t push it. or your gonna get a war you won’t believe.

Rambo, First Blood

219 Joseph February 28, 2012 at 2:47 pm

“I won’t be wronged. I won’t be insulted. I won’t be laid a-hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

John Wayne as J. B. Books, “The Shootist.”

220 Sean February 28, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I didn’t read the preceding 200 comments, but I Think Mal’s Speech from Serenity is certainly worth of an unsung Manly Quote

Mal: This report is maybe twelve years old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried till River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear because there’s a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They’re gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I’m asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten, they’ll swing back to the belief that they can make people…better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave.

Jayne: Shepherd Book used to tell me, “If you can’t do somethin’ smart… do somethin’ right.”

221 mooney February 28, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I think every man can use this bit from Matthew Quigley in “Quigley Down Under.” The setting is that he’s lost in the desert with semi-crazy chick, she’s having a hard time keeping up and he says to her, ‘I don’t know where we’re goin’, but there’s no sense bein’ late.”

222 Mike February 28, 2012 at 7:08 pm

“I learned how to write it,
when I first started school
Some bully didn’t like it
Said it didn’t sound too cool.
So I had to hit him
and all I said when the blood came
‘It’s my last name’”

Grandpa took it off to Europe
To fight the Germans in the war
It came back on some dog tags
Nobody wears no more
It’s written on a headstone
In the field where he was slain
It’s my last name

[Chorus:]
Passed down from generations
Too far back to trace
I can see all my relations
When I look into my face
May never make it famous
But I’ll never bring it shame
It’s my last name

Daddy always told me far back as I recall
Son, you’re part of somethin’,
You represent us all
So I keep it how you got it, as solid as it came
It’s my last name

– Dierks Bentley “My last name”

223 Todd February 28, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Samwise Gamgee (The Two Towers):

Sam: It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it’s only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it’ll shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something even if you were too small to understand why. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there’s some good in the world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.

224 Jeremy February 28, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Westley “We are men of action. Lies do not become us”

Princess Bride, one of the best quotes of all time in my opinion.

225 Todd February 28, 2012 at 11:17 pm

From television (Battlestar Galactica):

My name is Saul Tigh. I’m an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that’s the man I want to be. And if I die today, that’s the man I’ll be.

226 Todd February 28, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Continuing with the Malcom Reynolds quotes:

Simon: I’m trying to put this as delicately as I can. How do I know you won’t kill me in my sleep?

Mal: You don’t know me, son, so let me explain this to you once. If I ever kill you, you’ll be awake. You’ll be facing me. And you’ll be armed.

227 Will February 29, 2012 at 12:26 am

“I hate rude behavior in a man. I won’t tolerate it.”
-Woodrow Call, Lonesome Dove

One of my favorite scenes in all of film.

228 rowdy February 29, 2012 at 1:21 am

I don’t know if anyone mentioned it yet, Charlie Chaplin gave one of the greatest movie speeches of all time in the movie “The Great Dictator”. This is in my opinion the manliest movie quote of all time.

229 Tyler February 29, 2012 at 1:45 am

Two favorites from the Commancheros:

1.Tully Crow: McBane, I’m only as drunk as I want to be.

2.Paul Regret: Mind a suggestion friend? Trouble with you is you don’t enjoy the game for its own rewards: stimulation, relaxation, pleasant association, and interesting conversation.

Tully Crow: Shut your mouth.

230 Anonymous February 29, 2012 at 4:40 am

In all seriousness, this is one of my most favorite movie quotes of all time, from an unlikely of movies. The message transcends beyond the stakes and the situation.

231 Jason February 29, 2012 at 10:52 am

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol’ Jack Burton always says at a time like that: “Have ya paid your dues, Jack?” “Yessir, the check is in the mail.”
- Jack Burton, Big Trouble in Little China

A movie about a guy who thinks he’s the hero but he’s really the sidekick.

232 dan February 29, 2012 at 11:19 am

I’m a big fan of Christopher Walken’s speach in Poolhall Junkies…

233 Robert February 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm

This is an overlooked line from a well quoted movie:

Mel Gibson after his oldest son had died: “I have long feared that my sins would come to visit me and now that they have it’s more than I can bear.”

- the patriot.

234 Tommy February 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm

The Patton speech and the Rocky speech….my personal favorites…..but where’s the one from Braveheart?

235 windsandandstars March 1, 2012 at 1:50 am

My favourite comes from the Star Wars movie where Han Solo is to be killed by being frozen in CO2. Princess Leia says: “I love you”
Han: “I know”
then… zap and he’s gone. Too cool to be forgotten.

236 Alvaro March 1, 2012 at 5:44 am

Maximus is the biggest badass around…no wonder he’s an Spaniard.

But for me, the best motivational/manly speech is the one from Al Pacino on Scent of a Woman, almost at the end of the film. His whole character is as manly as one can get.
Also his speech on Any Given Sunday is amazing.

Plus always, the epitome of a real man, Clint Eastwood. ALL his characters are badass, with a rough past, but he keeps on being the good guy that will do the right thing and sacrifice himself for the greater good.

237 John March 1, 2012 at 9:12 am

Too many to count from The Hustler but the best for me is:

“I don’t rattle, kid. But just for that I’m gonna beat you flat.”

and don’t forget:

“How should I play that one, Bert? Play it safe? That’s the way you always told me to play it: safe… play the percentage. Well, here we go: fast and loose. One ball, corner pocket. Yeah, percentage players die broke, too, don’t they, Bert? “

238 Richard March 1, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I didn’t see the other Kingdom of Heaven quotes so I’ll try…

King Baldwin IV:

You see, none of us chose our end really.
A king may move a man, a father may claim a son.
But remember that, even when those who move you be
kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone.
When you stand before God you cannot say “but I was told
by others to do thus” or that “virtue was not convinient
at the time. This will not suffice. Remember that.

239 Richard March 1, 2012 at 1:29 pm

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
“I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on.
I don’t do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.”

240 Richard March 1, 2012 at 1:30 pm

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading.
The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to
pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.

241 Michael March 1, 2012 at 2:19 pm

My latest favorite is from Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It’s quoted similarly throughout the series but it hits most when Spartacus is asked how they will escape captivity he replies

“There is but one path. We kill them all.”

To me there is nothing more badass than being willing to kill every last person that stands in the way of your cause.

242 Dave H March 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm

“Never give up, Never surrender”

Cmdr. Peter Quincy Taggart

243 Doug M March 1, 2012 at 4:14 pm

“Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shooting things!”

244 StormWx March 1, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Father Cavanaugh: “Son, in 35 years of religious study, I have only come up with two hard incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and I’m not Him.”

245 Nathan March 2, 2012 at 12:58 am

Man, I see in Fight Club the strongest and smartest men who’ve ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see it squandered. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables – slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don’t need. We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We’ve all been raised on television to believe that one day we’d all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won’t. We’re slowly learning that fact. And we’re very, very pissed off.

246 Matthew W March 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm

My favorite (though not unsung) is Aragorn’s speech before the Black Gate in Return of the King. I would type it out, but I’m on my phone.

247 Chad E. March 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm

“bunch of slack jawed faggots, this stuff will make you a sexual tyransaurus like me”

Jesse The Body Ventura

248 Robert Bain March 2, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Oddball: Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”
Kelly’s Heroes

249 dan March 2, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Not a movie but a line from a cutscreen in Empire total war. “Where a goat can go, a man can go. Where a man can go, he can drag a gun.”. Quote was by British Major General william philips. Check him out…he’s a man worthy of the term

250 J. Martin-Tardy March 2, 2012 at 10:07 pm

The movie was great but this is how it ended & it was just the best way to end it.

Lt. Barney Greenwald: I’m gonna drink a toast to you, Mr. Keefer.
[pours wine in a glass]
Lt. Barney Greenwald: From the beginning you hated the Navy. And then you thought up this whole idea. And you managed to keep your skirts nice, and starched, and clean, even in the court martial. Steve Maryk will always be remembered as a mutineer. But you, you’ll publish your novel, you’ll make a million bucks, you’ll marry a big movie star, and for the rest of your life you’ll live with your conscience, if you have any. Now here’s to the *real* author of “The Caine Mutiny.” Here’s to you, Mr. Keefer.
[splashes wine in Keefer's face]
Lt. Barney Greenwald: If you wanna do anything about it, I’ll be outside. I’m a lot drunker than you are, so it’ll be a fair fight.

251 Evan M March 3, 2012 at 3:00 am

Glory has some amazing dialogue like this between Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington’s characters:

Trip: Get your hands off me, gravedigger!

Rawlins: Goddamn it! Does the whole world gotta stomp on your face?

Trip: Nigger, you better get your hands off me!

Rawlins: Ain’t no niggers around here, you hear me?

Trip: Oh, I see. So the white man give you a couple of stripes, next thing you hollerin’ and orderin’ everybody around, like you the massa himself! Nigger, you ain’t nothin’ but the white man’s dog! Shit. [Rawlins slaps him.]

Rawlins: And what are you? So full of hate you have to fight everybody because you’ve been whipped and chased by hounds. Well, that might not be living, but it sure as hell ain’t dying. And dying’s what these white boys been doin’ for going on three years now, dying by the thousands! Dying for you, fool! I know, ‘cuz I dug the graves. And all the time I keep askin’ myself, “When, O Lord, when gonna be our time?” Gonna come a time when we all gonna hafta ante up and kick in like men, LIKE MEN! You watch who you callin’ nigger. If there’s any niggers round here, it’s YOU! Smart-mouthed, stupid-ass, swamp-runnin’ nigger. And if you ain’t careful, that’s all you ever gonna be.

252 Evan M March 3, 2012 at 3:06 am

And after Trip comes to terms with himself he finds that the men he’s trained with have become his family:

[addressing the 54th the night before battle] I ain’t much about no prayin,’ now. I ain’t never had no family, and… killed off my mama. Well, I just… Y’all’s the onliest family I got. I love the 54th. Ain’t even much a matter what happens tomorrow, ’cause we men, ain’t we? We men.

Another favorite of mine is from Pvt Jupiter Sharts:

Tomorrow we goes into battle. So Lordy, let me fight with the rifle in one hand and the Good Book in the other. So that if I may die at the muzzle of the rifle… die on water, or on land, I may know that you blessed Jesus almighty are with me… and I will have no fear.

You could fill this whole page with quotes from Glory because, at it’s core, it’s a story about what it is that makes a man, regardless of his skin color.

253 CP March 3, 2012 at 6:02 am

From “Predator” :
“If it bleeds, we can kill it”
“I ain’t afraid of no man. But that ain’t no man”
“Runnnn! Get to ‘da chappaah!”
“I am heahh! Kill meah, kill me noww!”
(apologies for the Arnold accent…)
And from “Predator 2″ :
Danny Glover says – “OK, who’s nex’?”
Fun times on the Spike network.

254 HoosierInfidel March 3, 2012 at 8:25 am

From High Noon
Helen: You’re a good-looking boy: you’ve big, broad shoulders. But he’s a man. And it takes more than big, broad shoulders to make a man.
From the movie
“The Last Samurai”
Emperor: “Tell me how he died.”
“I will tell you instead how he lived.”
From the 1960 film THe Alamo
Davy Crockett: “Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat – the same tightness a man gets when his baby takes his first step or his first baby shaves and makes his first sound as a man. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.”

255 Ronald Clay March 4, 2012 at 2:28 pm

John Wayne in The Cowboys with a boy that stuttered. This was just after another boy almost drown and the stuttering boy almost cost him his life.

Stuttering Boy Wilson: Son-of-a-bitch.
Wil Andersen: What did you say?
Stuttering Boy Wilson: You god-damned son-of-a-bitch!
Wil Andersen: Say that again.
Stuttering Boy Wilson: You god-damned, mean, son-of-a-bitch!
Wil Andersen: Say it faster.
Stuttering Boy Wilson: You god-damned, mean, dirty, son-of-a-bitch!
Wil Andersen: I wouldn’t make it a habit of calling me that, son.

256 Steve March 4, 2012 at 6:18 pm

The Magnificent Seven
Steve McQueen; “We deal in lead friend.”
Eli Wallach; “Maybe we in de same bizness, heh?”
McQueen; “Only as competitors.”
Just the best!!

257 Bubba Redneck March 5, 2012 at 12:56 am

They tell us we are weak — unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies have bound us hand and foot? We are not weak if we make a proper use of the means which the Gods of nature has placed in our power. Millions of people armed in the holy cause of Liberty, and in such a country as that which we possesses, are invincible. Besides, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations, who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, is not to the strong alone, it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Many cry ‘peace, peace’ — but there is no peace! . The war is actually begun! Why stand we here idle? Is life so dear or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death!
– Patrick Henry, Addressing the Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

258 David Alexandre March 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

One of my favorite unsung manly quotes comes from Scent of a Woman, when Frank Slade is in a school assembly talking on behalf of Charlie Simms, who had witnessed some kids play a practical joke on the headmaster and kept silent, no wanting to rat out his so called friends:

“Lt. Col. Frank Slade: Well, gentlemen! When the shit hits the fan, some guys run and some guys stay. Here’s Charlie facin’ the fire and there’s George hidin’ in Big Daddy’s pocket. And what are you doin’? You’re gonna reward George and destroy Charlie.
Mr. Trask: Are you finished, Mr. Slade?
Lt. Col. Frank Slade: No, I’m just gettin’ warmed up!”

It’s manly because Frank Slade shows a worthy man does not tell on his friends, whatever that’s going to cost him.

259 jgkight March 5, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Here’s one from Doctor Who.

Madame Korvian: Good men have to many rules.
The Doctor: Good men don’t need rules. Today is a bad time to find out why I have so many.

260 J Coley March 6, 2012 at 12:06 am

Zhuge Liang from Red Cliff: A clear Milky Way and snaking clouds signal fog is near. If you know how earth, sky, yin, and yang change, then the sun, moon and stars, the wind, forest, mountains and fire, become soldiers at your command.

261 Bill March 6, 2012 at 12:54 am

This one is from “The Americanization of Emily”, starring James Gardner and Julie Andrews. Even Clint Eastwood said when he was watching it in Spain during the filming of a Fist Full of Dollars, all the American film crew stood up and cheered in the theatre when Jim spoke these lines.

LCDR Charles E. Madison “You American haters bore me to tears, Miss Barham. I’ve dealt with Europeans all my life. I know all about us parvenus from the States who come over here and race around your old Catheral towns with our cameras and Coca-cola bottles….Brawl in your pubs, paw your women, and act like we own the world. We over tip, we talk too loud, we think we can buy anything with a Hershey bar. I’ve had Germans and Italians tell me how politically ingenuous we are, and perhaps so. But we haven’t managed a Hitler or a Mussolini yet. I’ve had Frenchmen call me a savage because I only took half an hour for lunch, Hell, Miss Barham, the only reason the French take two hours for lunch is because the service in their restaurants is lousy. The most tedious lot are you British. We crass Americans didn’t intoduce war into your little island. This war, Miss Barham to which we Americans are so insensitive, is the result of 2000 years of European greed, barbarism, superstition, and stupidity. Don’t blame it on our Coca-cola bottles. Europe was a going brothel long before we came to town.”

Good movie, check it out if you get a chance.

262 Tiny March 6, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Not from a movie, from Jigaro Kano, creator of judo and great man – “We do not improve ourselves to fight, we fight to improve ourselves”

263 Tone March 6, 2012 at 2:47 pm

THis isn’t from a movie but a real man. My platoon sargent “bomb’em all and let god sort it out.”

264 big ron March 6, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Badges??? we need no stinking badges!!

265 Jason cooper March 6, 2012 at 10:28 pm

John Wayne, in The Cowboys when he faces down Bruce Dern’s character.

“yup, i’m 30 years older than you. Had my back broke once, my hip twice. And on my worst day, I could beat the hell outta you.”

266 Mikeu March 8, 2012 at 10:42 am

Clint Eastwood
Don’t remember the movie but he comes back to avenge his friend who has been beat to death by the sheriff. This is after he has killed several men in the bar.

I’m comin out. Don’t nobody shoot. Anybody shoots and I coming back. I’ll kill him his wife and kids then I’ll burn his damn house down.

Then as he rides out he says

Don’t cut up or harm no whores or I’ll come back and kill everyone of you sons a bitches!

267 Brian Nehls March 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm

My favorite movie is Rob Roy starring Liam Neeson. It is set in 18th century Scotland, and the best quote in the movie says it all of a man. Rob’s son asks him “Father when will the McGregors be kings again?” Rob responds, “Kings are men with honor, but not all men have honor.” What is honor? says the son. “Honor is…what no man can give and none can take away.” The son then asks “Do women have honor?” Rob leans in and says, “Women are the heart of honor, we cherish and keep it within them. Listen to me boys never mistreat a woman or milign a man or stand by and watch one do so.” How do you get honor? “Nevermind the getting of it, it grows in you and speaks to you, all you need do is listen.”

Best advise and line in any movie ever made.

268 Jorge March 9, 2012 at 11:56 am

What about the speech in “Any given Sunday”? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk Youtube comments are worth taking a look

269 Will Locke March 9, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Gary Cooper as Ayn Rand’s Howard Roark in The Fountainhead: “Thousands of years ago the first man discovered how to make fire. He was probably burned at the stake he had taught his brothers to light, but he left them a gift they had not conceived of, and he lifted darkness off the earth. Through out the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads, armed with nothing but their own vision. The great creators, the thinkers, the artists, the scientists, the inventors, stood alone against the men of their time. Every new thought was opposed. Every new invention was denounced. But the men of unborrowed vision went ahead. They fought, they suffered, and they paid – but they won.”

270 Awtha March 10, 2012 at 8:53 pm

“night in’na box”

and
“what we got here is a failure to communicate”

271 Tom March 11, 2012 at 12:43 am

Sounds stupid, but I think a Disney cow said this, but it seems to be words to live by. “A man can take care of himself, a real man takes care of others.”

272 Robb March 12, 2012 at 12:08 am

Not from a movie but real life:
After an officer pep talk, asked 1st Sargent if he had anything advice for men before stepping out into combat.

“yup…. don’t die with a full clip”..

273 Arminius March 12, 2012 at 4:39 am

13th Warrior:

“Luck, often enough, will save a man, if his courage holds”

274 Loren M March 18, 2012 at 6:02 pm

This is always been one of my favorites, though not from a movie:

Followed closely by the 2011 speech:

275 Robert March 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I’ve always liked this one from the 5th Element:
“You wanna play it soft. We’ll play it soft. You wanna play it hard. Let’s play it hard.”
Korban Dallas

276 J-Nasty March 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

Pattons speech inspired me to join the Army. i often use that quote when my friends say your going to die.

277 Rusty D March 21, 2012 at 11:34 am

That Gladiator quote gives me chills every single time I hear or read it. One of the best quotes in movie history.

278 Bootneck67 March 21, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Not a movie ..Col Tim Collins speech to his regiment on the eve of the war in Iraq in 2003.

279 Oliver March 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm

“We few, we happy few, we band of bothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother, be he n’er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition. And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispins day.” Henry V

280 Inner Prop August 2, 2013 at 8:53 am

A scene in The Incredibles. It’s not really quotable, but it really sums up being a man, husband and father:

Or (and I don’t know if this is unsung of not) True Grit, “Fill your hands you son of a bitch!”

The Ghost and the Darkness – “”Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” Well my friend, you’ve just been hit. The getting up is up to you.”

281 Big Duke 6 February 5, 2014 at 9:56 pm

“I don’t think its nice you laughing. You see my mule don’t like it when people laugh. He gets the crazy idea your laughing at him. Now if you apologize, like I know your going to, I might be able to convince him that you didn’t mean it” Clint Eastwood – Fist Full of Dollars

282 Mike Enloe March 16, 2014 at 3:56 am

Background: Maximus is about to be thrown into the arena to face Commodus in single combat, and he is talking to Commodus about the former Caesar.
“Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

283 Cody April 18, 2014 at 1:31 pm

The speech Al Pacino gives to his players in “Any Given Sunday” about inches.