Manvotional: Be Faithful

by Brett & Kate McKay on January 28, 2012 · 69 comments

in Manvotionals

From Courage, 1894
By Charles Wagner

Steadfastness is the indispensable quality of every man who one day does not wish to be obliged to say: “I have wasted my life.”

A man should not incessantly change with every impression of the moment, but should remain steadfast when he has once determined upon what is right. Of what use are the flowers if they do not produce fruits, and of good ideas if they are not transmuted into deeds? We must encourage stability, habituate ourselves to remain constant, and when we are sure that we are right, must fortify ourselves against invasion. Do not let criticisms or attacks disturb you.

Nothing is so difficult as to remain faithful. At each step of the way outside influences are brought to bear upon us to make us deviate or retrograde. And if there were only difficulties from without, it would not matter so much; but there are those from within. Our dispositions vacillate. We promise one thing with the best intentions in the world; but when the time comes to keep it, everything is changed–the circumstances, men, ourselves; and what duty demands of us seems so different from what we had foreseen, that we hesitate. Those who will fulfill on a rainy day a promise which they have made on a sunny one, are few and far between.

There is nothing like a steadfast man, one in whom you can have confidence, one who is found at his post, who arrives punctually, and who can be trusted when you rely on him. He is worth his weight in gold. You can take your bearings from him, because he is sure to be where he ought to be, and nowhere else. The majority of individuals, on the contrary, are sure to be anywhere but where they ought to be. You have only to take them into your calculations to be deceived. Some of them are changeable from weakness of character; they cannot resist attacks, insinuations, and, above all, cannot remain faithful to a lost cause. A defeat in their eyes is a demonstration of the fact that their adversary was right and that they were wrong. When they see their side fail, instead of closing up the ranks, they go over to the enemy. These are the men who are always found on the winning side, and not in their hearts would be found the courageous device: Victrix causa diis placuit, sed victa Catoni.

A profound duplicity, a discrepancy between words and deeds, between appearance and reality, a sort of moral dilettantism which makes us according to the hour sincere or hypocritical, brave or cowardly, honest or unscrupulous–this is the disease which consumes us. What moral force can germinate and grow under these conditions? We must again become men who have only one principle, one word, one work, one love; in a word, men with a sense of duty. This is the source of power. And without this there is only the phantom of a man, the unstable sand, and hollow reed which bends beneath every breath. Be faithful; this is the changeless northern star which will guide you through the vicissitudes of life, through doubts and discouragements, and even mistakes.

1 John January 28, 2012 at 11:19 pm

In one of his books, Louis L’Amour wrote, “a man, like a ship at sea, must be always moving toward a destination, not simply drifting”

2 walter January 28, 2012 at 11:46 pm

One of the best manvitionals I have read so far. Thanks for posting!

3 Tim January 28, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Powerful. This reminds me of the difference between the man who built his house upon the rock and the man who built his house upon the sand. When the storm came the house upon the sand fell with a great crash. There are great crashes all over everywhere in our society. This piece is dead on.

4 Wilbur January 29, 2012 at 12:21 am

I love this. Very inspirational.

But I must ask, where does a man derive the strength to remain steadfast? I have experienced and observed that as soon as a man chooses a course in life, the forces of adversity conspire to cloud his vision. Friends become scarce, circumstances become his enemy and his objective becomes a moving target.

I am at a crossroad in my life after faltering. I lost my footing when adversity struck. I want to stand firm this time, but I need all the help I can.

Please advise.

5 Ben January 29, 2012 at 12:45 am

Lately I have found it hard to stay positive with the hardships I’ve faced. But, I still think about staying steadfast and true to myself. I am a simple man who wants few things in my life and I still find myself questioning if “simple” is possible. I recently have been stuck in a rut, where I feel like I’m on a treadmill and the world is moving without me. I just wonder if it’s possible to achieve a simple life and have someone who truly accepts me for what I am. This probably makes on sense to anyone, but it’s the only way I can explain myself

6 CJ January 29, 2012 at 2:02 am

Mr. Charles Wagner you do have a way with words. You do not however, have a very good point here.

I would argue that a man should not decide for himself what is right without considering the counsel of others. For they too have undoubtedly come to different conclusions, and they have their reasons too. A man who isn’t willing to listen to reason is a man who lies to himself.

There is true merit in steadfastness, reliability, keeping promises. But why not be steadfast and reliable at seeking the truth? Why not promise to listen to advice, or seek the answers to questions?

I have faith that strength in a man comes from adapting to change and rolling with the punches. Strength comes from innovation in the face of hardship. Strength comes from questioning that which you are told is true.

7 Steven January 29, 2012 at 4:08 am

Again, thank you Brett & Kate for these inspiring words.

The more I read on the AoM the more I begin to realize that the most admirable men one can be, is one you can trust. In every possible way.

Cheers,
Steven

8 M January 29, 2012 at 4:52 am

I’ve met many steadfast men; the bishop who’s opposed gay equality and women joining the workforce for 40 years and will continue to do so till he dies, the furniture refurbisher who refuses to take up any employment unless it’s refurbishing furniture so has lived off the state for 10 years, the manager who refuses to accept the workplace has changed so he can no longer get a secretary to file his work – so no one can find a record if any work he’s meant to have done.
Can one be stoically open minded and faithful in one’s ability to thrive though change?

9 Ted January 29, 2012 at 5:01 am

@ Wilbur

I can only tell you what i have found to be working for me.
The strength must come from within you. More precisely from your principles and values that you feel are right.
How do you find these values? Many times it really is a sort of gut-feeling, you just feel that someting is right or wrong. Trust that.
Adversity is to be expected anyway as soon as you take some action, so dont let that discourage you. When facing adversity, rather try to think: What lesson can i learn from that that is constructive for my future?
And finally, i know it is easier said than done: Try to put things in perspective. This takes constant efford, but it will be worth it in the long run.
Hope that helps. All the best.

10 rogerharris January 29, 2012 at 5:20 am

too blanket an article this.

There is persistence in the stupid, and there is persistence in keeping at risky or extremely long term and lone ventures where others lack vision, motivation or aptitude.

The difference is really about whether to persist in progressive rather than rearward processes.

11 Mark January 29, 2012 at 6:09 am

Very good.

You might summarize in one word: Focus.

Or this quote, by Davy Crockett:
“Be sure you’re right, then go ahead!”

And then let nothing deviate you off course, no matter what.

Mark

12 Daniel January 29, 2012 at 6:24 am

Thanks for this, it is very timely for me. The main thing I got from this article was that a man needs to be true to himself, and to do what he knows to be right – and yes, in some instances that will involve seeking the counsel of others or at the very least, hearing other opinions. What I believe the article is saying though is that a man does not need to rely on others all the time to tell him what to do – it is good to seek other opinions to broaden one’s perspective, but there is a big difference between doing this to make an informed decision on a course of action, and simply blindly following whatever others say or do. It also says quite clearly that once a man knows what is right, he should stick to it (at least that’s what I read into it lol).

I do agree with rogerharris about the difference between persisting in progressive or rearward processes – and I think in the context of this article, that would come under being true to oneself and knowing that the process IS a rearward one, and being man enough to realise this and take appropriate steps to remain true to yourself and do what you know to be right.

THAT is what steadfast is to me – not doggedly clinging to one idea or process, but being true to yourself and not compromising who you are to pander to others. To be steadfast means that you can be relied upon by others to follow through when you say you are going to do something; it means you are a man of your word and are honest, reliable and always doing what you know is right and trying to be the best man you can be. To me, it’s about integrity.

Thank you for such a wonderful thought-provoking article that resonated so deeply with me. I have also enjoyed all the comments – clearly I’m not the only one who has been nudged to think about steadfastness and what it means, and it is very interesting to read the other opinions expressed in the comments (and refreshing to see the lack of abusive or trolling comments that sadly seem to overtake other sites). Good job all round!

13 Stephen Koch January 29, 2012 at 7:37 am

A quotation for M, and from a priest! “Stupidity is stubborn. Intelligence is resilient.”

14 Will January 29, 2012 at 7:43 am

Stirring stuff.

15 Matt January 29, 2012 at 8:03 am

For those who say staying one course is bad form or liken it to being stubborn, I would say the point the author is making is sticking to your guns when the action is positive. I don’t think the point is to be stubborn or never change your mind on anything. Everything can be good in moderation. I think he is speaking more to responsibility and drive. What stuck out to me in this article is being where your are supposed to be, when you are supposed to be there. This should speak volumes to the young adults reading it. Holding a job, sticking to your goals, and keeping focus when difficulties arise are virtues to be held up. I don’t think it points to holding on to ridiculous hopes and unattainable goals to the point of insanity. I think it points to doing what you say you are going to do and being able to be counted upon in a bad situation.

16 Walter January 29, 2012 at 8:30 am

@Wilbur

I know exactly what you mean. In my observation, the strength comes when you have absolute confidence in your vision. For me that vision is loving and serving the solid rock of Jesus Christ. I can not base my vision on my own self, as I do not trust myself. I am too wishy-washy, too prone to accept defeat, too prone to drift rather than travel with purpose through this world.

O that more men (including myself) would be faithful and steadfast! No one is suggesting that we hold on to mindless relics of the past, but rather that we embrace the timeless principles of truth. Truth that never changes and never wavers. O that we could be as confident in our stance as Martin Luther, who soberly stated before those who had the power to execute him: “Here I stand. I can do no other”.

17 Konrad Sjoblom January 29, 2012 at 9:04 am

Too often people are looking for the quick and easy reward and are not in it for something that may require patience and being steadfast. As I read this Manvotional, a bible passage came to mind; Matthew 25:14-23: The Parable of the Talents
“For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away…Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much.

These are the words from my Father that I hope to hear at the end of my journey, my adventure.

18 Scott January 29, 2012 at 9:20 am

Thanks Brett and Kate for another inspiring article. Every word was exactly what I needed right now.

19 Benjamin January 29, 2012 at 9:40 am

I can’t give you a forumla for staying steadfast, I too have made a major change in my life recently. What I can tell you is that I focus everyday on what it is that I want to come of the change and move towards it, like a plow horse staring at the post. Just keep going, know what you want and don’t look anywhere else.

20 David Y January 29, 2012 at 10:33 am

I guess for me, being faithfull and steadfast would mean that people can depend on you. You are true to your word and to your friends(as long as they are true to you). And, you have a solid core of principles.

I do not think that it means stubbornly or rigidly never changing. There is a difference between making changes when situations or facts dictate and chasing after every whim or fad. But, you should still stay true to your principles.

Like many, this is something I have to strive to be better at. But, it is an effort worth making.

21 Chris January 29, 2012 at 10:36 am

This is one I’m struggling with right now.

11 years ago I started a business with a friend and co-worker. I have have been faithful for all those years. For each of those years we have not made a profit. I believe one issue is that with his easy access to cash from his father-in-law he is not as hungry as I am. I’m getting older and my priorities are changing. for him, his retirement is set. For me, I need to make it a priority to have something when I get old. Many of these years I’ve offered up suggestions of change. He brushed off each suggestion and wishes to continue down the path of failure. Being faithful is commendable, but at what point do you consider it bad for YOU and walk away? This month I have started change and I’m almost at the point where I have to walk away from him regardless of what he wants to do. I’m starting to make others depend on me and I need to be faithful to them.

This person has stated to me on several occasions “you must first crawl before you can walk”. Well, do you need to crawl for 10 years? How about 15? Is 20 too many? At some point one must try something different.

22 Charley January 29, 2012 at 11:47 am

I particularly liked CJ’s response. While faithfulness is indeed a male virtue, it gets tricky when you delve into the process of deciding what is the right think to be faithful to and when and how to read the signs that say that’s a dead end. There is a kind of faithfulness to the self that can look like lots of things from the “outside” even its opposite. In the end, it’s important to quiet down your center enough to know your path and it has nothing to do with getting counsel or support of even ultimately what others think of you. There are many demons on the way to confuse you as well. Addiction, for example, can rationalize itself to be a form of “faithfulness” to your real (wild) soul. There’s no easy path here, but it’s worth pondering. I’m suggesting another topic for you: The Difference between Private and Secret.

23 J January 29, 2012 at 11:53 am

Those who don’t get this Manvotional will be those who don’t believe in Truth with a capital T. Should a man change his opinions and course on something throughout his life? Definitely. But not with things related to Truth, which are related to Duty. Should you leave your wife who you promised to be with through better or worse just because you’re going through a rough patch? No. Never. Should you leave your God just because the culture calls your beliefs silly and outdated? No. Never. Should you stop trying to support your family because you’re tired? No. Never. Should a captain go down with his ship, even if he’s scared. Yes. Always. A man is steadfast in his duties.

PS-Charley’s comment on private vs secret makes me think he is either LDS or a Freemason. Am I right?

24 Darren January 29, 2012 at 11:54 am

I don’t know if it is self doubt or rationality, but sometimes I find myself wondering am I right to stay the course or am I being unrealistic. How fine is the line between being steadfast and being hard-headed? Should a person put much weight into the advice of others and consider what they have to say or dismiss them as nay-sayers trying to sabotage their efforts? Where does the balance lie?

25 GregoryRobertWalters January 29, 2012 at 2:13 pm

1894 -

Darren, it is an Edge, a Blade – running along is better than sitting upon.

…and the best advice is the advice you actually ask for…

To me, it seems the time is now to determine a direction that at first may appear to be the lonely one…but cream rises and the like minded collect.

Boldly Go, We are not alone.

26 Johnathon January 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I appreciate that you find the uncommon text or selection for your manvotionals. Your blog often leads me to authors and schools of thought that I had never heard of before. For that I am grateful.

27 Alex January 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Beautifully written, highly inspiring as ever!

28 Joseph January 29, 2012 at 4:51 pm

“We must again become men who have only one principle, one word, one work, one love; in a word, men with a sense of duty.”

These words resonated within me. On my wall is a prayer of the philosopher Kierkegaard. I think they are particularly appropriate here:

“So may you give to the intellect, wisdom to comprehend that one thing; to the heart, sincerity to receive this and this only; to the will, purity that wills only one thing. In prosperity, may you grant perseverance to will one thing; amid distraction, collectedness to will one thing; in suffering, patience to will one thing.”

29 Carter Berens January 29, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Incredible insight on the life that should be lived. Multitudes of life lessons that can be drawn from just one piece of literary art. Thanks for sharing.

30 dc January 29, 2012 at 6:14 pm

The man who is satisfied with the ordinary can never, by definition, begin to understand the depth of the extraordinary.

To the steadfast man who finds contentment with standing firm his ground, let him be. Consider, though, to instead, cast himself headlong into the sky and should he fall, dance amongst the stars at last.

Better to blaze upwards, onwards, and burst into flames on the way to the sun then to wither and die rooted to a single plot of earth…

:Dave

31 Mario M. January 29, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Wow. So much truth to be taken from this. Read as my first Man-votional.

32 zeus January 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Being faithful is a subject I also talk a lot about on my own website. Great job.

33 Nick Pierce January 29, 2012 at 8:41 pm

This could not have come at a better time. Thank you for posting it.

34 spencerdcox January 29, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Faith is one of the few things that should never change in a man. Blossom, engender and mature, into a weapon and a defense, but be always present. It is a breathing part of you, and when that numinous creature is shackled to a set idea, a construct of cultural reality, it dies. Faith is the place in a man that needs no theistic decoration, and survives many times despite it.

35 Eliot Truelove January 29, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Does this qualify for the Manvotionals contest? Because I would love to read this, switching accents each and every time I change a paragraph.

36 Okierover January 29, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Semper Fidelis.

37 Rodney C. January 29, 2012 at 11:43 pm

This was well written piece of literature. This article was something I needed to lift my spirits as I try to transcend from my current position in life.

Rodney C.

38 christine list January 30, 2012 at 12:01 am

I love this. I will email it to my sons.

39 Strapping Lad January 30, 2012 at 1:14 am

As the next season on my life comes towards me, I question everyday if I should continue the path I worked so hard for and have yet to get my break-through. I have read many AoM articles but not all and the ones to catch my attention always seem to be at a time I need them most.

Cheers!

40 Landon January 30, 2012 at 2:20 am

I dunno why but i always read these articles in a sort of emphatic John Cleese voice. it just seems appropriate

i dunno, maybe its jut me

41 Gareth January 30, 2012 at 2:20 am

Being faithful in the sense of full of faith-as I understand this article suggests-is the last thing I want to be.

When new information is presented then you should incorporate this information into your thinking and actions. Ignoring new information in the name of being “faithful” to your opinions is foolish.

CJ said it nicely in the above post.

42 Georgiaboy61 January 30, 2012 at 2:54 am

M, re: “In a world of constant change these men are becoming increasingly frustrated with, detatcheded from and sidelined from a society that can’t progress withough going around them.”

Your examples of steadfastness appear to you to be stubborness, a refusal to “adapt” to change, but there is another point of view. Each of us must decide what is right and true, and then steer by that star. Your vision of what is right may not match another man’s idea of the same. Didn’t the Bard say “To thine own self be true”?
I think the author’s point was that steadfastness means not turning like a weathervane in the winds of the latest fashions or trends, but steering your own course.

43 Denzel Sofula January 30, 2012 at 9:46 am

this is powerful

44 Pablo January 30, 2012 at 10:43 am

I love that Latin quotation by Lucan – it defines steadfastness in a manner that is rarely seen but always admired. It reminds me of the story of Horatio at the Bridge and others like it.
A movie had this line that stuck with me: “You don’t just fight the fights you can win. You fight the fights that need fighting.” The outcome of the fight is secondary to having fought at all.
Inspiring article.

45 Doc January 30, 2012 at 10:56 am

And to add to what John wrote: John Shedd wrote: A ship in the harbor is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for.

46 Neil January 30, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Some here try to over analyze things and try to find fault in a simple concept. So be it but as for me. I think it is a sound piece of work with value. Case closed.

47 Breck January 30, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Wilbur, I have found my rock and redeemer in Jesus Christ. All other things are futile because in time they will all wither and die. Jesus is steadfast and that is how, as Kipling puts it, I am able to “keep [my] head when all about [me] others are losing there’s.” I understand some people won’t agree and that’s okay. I’m just letting you know where my strength to find the straight and narrow comes from.

48 Jeff January 30, 2012 at 10:35 pm

“And so we go on casting our hearts to the four winds, giving it and taking it back again, breaking with our past, separating ourselves from ourselves, so to speak. And when we look behind, we no longer recognize ourselves. We see ourselves in the days that are past as a stranger, or rather as several strangers.”

This statement hit me like a dagger. I have wasted a lot of time in my life trying to be nice and accommodating, in a sense to make other people comfortable around me. It’s a pathetic attempt to be agreeable when I don’t agree. When you do it for so long, you lose who you are. I am a strong man with strong views but I have kept them inside to be out of the spotlight. I am 27 now and don’t want to live that way. I have no problems being a trustworthy, reliable man, but I do not always speak my mind. I will begin to speak my mind and stay true to myself. It has been hard for me, but better late than never. Thank you all for your posts, I have read each of them and am comforted by that there are other men out there who feel similar to me. To Walter, the best advice I can give you is to keep your head up and take time to listen to yourself. I just overcame a rough patch debating suicide, but I am not let them winning that easy;)

49 C.W. Sims January 31, 2012 at 2:25 am

I must say that this message couldn’t have come at a better time for me. I have begun to place myself on a more even keel this past month or so and I feel that this message truly resonated with me at the perfect time. Thank you so much for posting this.

50 Matt (2) January 31, 2012 at 10:06 am

This is a great post. Timely, or should I say, timeless.

For any interested, research the Knight’s code of Chivalry, it appeared to me a straight listing of virtuous commands…could be updated a bit, but relevant none-the-less.

Great post, great website – keep it up!

51 don Roberto January 31, 2012 at 11:33 am

“Cattle die, friends and kinsmen die, and I shall die. But one thing never dies; the fame of a dead man’s deeds.”
–Norse proverb

“In matters of fashion, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.”
–Thomas Jefferson

“You have many years to live. Do things you will be proud to remember when you are old.”
–Shinka proverb

52 Julio January 31, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Right now I am in an emotional state of mind, from highs to lows, from smiles to tears. But I live by these principle, values and beliefs. I needed to read this and also hear what others have to say.

53 Troy January 31, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Great read for any man inconsistent with his own virtues.

54 brad February 1, 2012 at 12:11 am

This is a quote from Oliver Wendell Holmes that I feel parallels this great piece:

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind, and sometimes against it, but sail we must , and not drift, nor lie at anchor.

55 Doug February 1, 2012 at 4:46 am

I find it rather easy to remain faithful in loving relationships, but to stay true to word and deed is a common issue with me when applied outside of that context. I know that many people grapple with it as well. My drive is to live as a do-er. To not hesitate to act upon ideas. This is the challenge, to recognize that the feelings that are produced as a result of the acting upon of words are in deed great feelings, personal self rewards. All too often we overlook what we are truly feeling and rather we switch to focus on our thinking and this is where men falter

I seriously don’t know what I would do, or who I could be if it was not for the information and lessons found within this website. I would remain to do well, but I imagine that I would take a much longer route to get there. When the time comes, and it will, I will gladly donate money to your cause.

56 Nick February 2, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Great article. It definitely motivates me to be more faithful. The real test of faithfulness or of our duty comes when we tired, when you don’t want to do but do it anyway. I think faithfulness is connected with self-sacrifice. Just like we read in that article. Sacrificing one thing for a greater cause is an act of faithfulness. One other thing, studying the lives of the great men of history is good because by studying the principles we can see how those principles can be applied.

57 highway61 February 4, 2012 at 6:38 am

Gentlemen, for your consideration: The Cowboy Code

1. Live each day with courage
2. Take pride in your work
3. Finish what you start
4. Be tough, but fair
5. When you make a promise, keep it
6. Do what has to be done
7. Ride for the brand
8. Talk less and say more
9. Remember that some things aren’t for sale
10. Know where to draw the line

58 Larbone February 6, 2012 at 8:50 am

“We must again become men who have only one principle, one word, one work, one love; in a word, men with a sense of duty. This is the source of power. And without this there is only the phantom of a man, the unstable sand, and hollow reed which bends beneath every breath. Be faithful; this is the changeless northern star which will guide you through the vicissitudes of life, through doubts and discouragements, and even mistakes.”

Learn who you are; why you are here; your purpose- that is the rock you build your life upon. That is what you are faithful to.
Thou art That.

59 Ian Gould February 10, 2012 at 6:05 am

CJ talks of truth yet we all have many lies contained in our truth draw that we need to remove, along with the masks most men wear to overcome what we believe, yet deep down know its a lie. There is only one truth and finding faith in that brings life and true resolve and steadfastness needed that produces love, joy and peace in ones soul. Not a pretence to hide behind that brings death. May Gods truth and peace be with you all.

60 Ellen February 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Women need this characteristic, too. Thanks so much for posting this.

61 John C February 11, 2012 at 5:41 pm

This is a really time article for me. I recently got into a verbal debate with an individual at a company who we often compete with but also work with. I called this person out because of their unethical ways of doing business. I just got really fed up with their consistent lieing and cheating of my clients. Some might say that I should have taken a more poitical approach, but I felt that I needed to be brutally honest; create some conflict so that we can get through the other side better off. I probaby jeopardized my position to some degree, but it was the right thing to do. I believe that I am a principled man, and often times I get taken advantage of becaues of that. Well, no more. It’s time that the principled guys step up and take charge.

62 Virendra Giri February 12, 2012 at 2:28 am

True to the sense. It is always there in most of the time in many of us life we talk big and sensible but when time comes to show the mettle we waver, not in action but of course in character as well. We run away from the point where we need to deliver. But this is not manly we all agree.

63 Virendra Giri February 12, 2012 at 2:33 am

truly inspirational and motivation piece of work. Thanks

64 Austin February 13, 2012 at 2:24 am

This is in response to wilbur hopefully youll see this and it helps. I know that it seems like everything rises up against you once you have chosen a course but this is not true. All things come to those who earn it and im sorry if friends become scarce but unfortunately thats probably because they are unwilling to put forth the willpower to stand by your side. This is a choose people make. As creatures with souls we are capable of infinate strength if we choose to create and use it. Circumstances are not getting more difficult when you have your eye fixed on the goal, you simply see the challenge in its entirety so you may face it and thus overcome it. Anything is possible Wilbur you must simply will yourself to accomplish it. .

65 Austin February 13, 2012 at 2:27 am

This ability can also be unlocked in others through example or just through teaching and having them truly understand the idea. I apologize for any spelling errors this is a mobile post and im having trouble with my phone

66 Scott February 13, 2012 at 10:50 am

@ Joseph – Reminds me of Curly from City Slickers:

67 Mr. Saenz February 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I was about to make a mistake just because things didn’t turn out the way I wanted them to. I guess even when things don’t feel right you have to keep those promises that you make. It makes more sense to me than trying to find a good day to tell her that I “can’t” take her to the airport.

The favor’s no longer for her, it’s for myself.

Thank you.

68 Sathish October 1, 2012 at 5:27 am

God, this is so beautiful… :)

69 Suresh March 4, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Bravo, sir. Thank you for finding this and posting.