Dim & Dash: At the Thanksgiving Table

by Brett & Kate McKay on November 23, 2011 · 33 Comments

in Dim & Dash, Visual Guides

Illustration by Ted Slampyak

1 Frank Martin | Modern Monkey Mind November 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Love it! All of these are good. The overall message of the importance of being aware of how you act towards others is a common one, but certainly one that bears repeating. I especially love the dichotomy of how the food is Dim’s primary focus, but seems almost incidental to Dash.

2 Matt November 23, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I would contend that if Dash did offer you the last turkey drumstick, you should generally not take up the offer. Discretionary exceptions apply.

3 Emily November 23, 2011 at 6:44 pm

heh… Dim steals all the leftovers. Dash makes his own turkey later that week so he doesn’t inconvenience anyone else.

4 Tim November 23, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I have never accepted a Dash offer. Always thought it was a test. Plenty of Dim’s these days.

5 Niko November 23, 2011 at 7:12 pm

To me the funny part is that, after all that I experienced, the both of them should change clothes, it’d be more fitting that way.

6 William November 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm

@ niko, i agree, although i do like the direction the site takes with updating your wardrobe and such, the sad truth, at least in my experience, is you will meet far more tools wearing the sweater/collared shirt combo then genuine characters. Its hard to knock the “rich ass-clown dressing preppy” image from many of the new generations mind

7 Stephen November 23, 2011 at 8:25 pm

It’s Thanksgiving with Jack Webb on the right.

8 Adam November 23, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Dim goes to his family’s for Thanksgiving. Dash makes himself at home at the nearest black family’s table.

Dim spends the night with his family. Dash spends the night in jail.

9 Ed November 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm

While traveling to the in-law’s house tonight I saw a man-boy with his hat on backwards at a restaurant. I laughed on the inside thinking of Dim.

10 Mccord November 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm

@ niko I agree.
@ adam I do not agree with Dash spending his night in jail, you are wrong and not funny. I do hope Mr. Slampyak keeps up these great illustrations without becoming Politically Correct.

11 Steve November 23, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I love the fact that Dim is never without his cap…I suspect that it is fused to his head! :)

As for Slampyak’s illustrations, they have a real charm about them.

12 Roy Marvelous November 24, 2011 at 3:21 am

I guess I would be like Dim!

13 Brian Watson November 24, 2011 at 6:54 am

You know part was really funny? When the people in the comments forget that it’s a cartoon and start having a serious discussion about what Dim and Dash are wearing. That’s made me lol all over myself.

14 John November 24, 2011 at 9:07 am

In my family we abide by the rule, “he who takes, gets!” Go Dim!

15 Brett November 24, 2011 at 10:17 am

This is great — The bachelor party illustration, however, is still the best.

16 Melting Pot November 24, 2011 at 10:41 am

There is a subtle hint of the well-to-do white man carrying out his charitable duty by serving a free Thanksgiving dinner to the black man in need and his son. Not sure if that’s what the artist intended or if he’s going for an honest-to-goodness mixed-race family in his artwork (which has a very authentic look, by the way). However, this caste stereotype can logically be dispelled by noticing that they’re all sitting at the same side of the table and everyone is dressed better than Dim. Color doesn’t matter. Culture matters. I see them as Dash’s in-laws or a co-worker and his son. Now, DIM at a shelter? I can see that. Especially if that’s his illegitimate daughter who he only sees every other weekend. He seems to have slapped a stupid Pilgrim hat on her in his drunken holiday stupor. Honestly, we’re all overanalyzing the image and the point of the illustration lies on the surface: Be courteous to others.

17 Eric November 24, 2011 at 11:55 am

There is nothing racist in the picture. If you look at some of the previous comics, a black friend was featured in the out with the guys one. Dash has friends of all backgrounds it seems and this is just another example of that.

18 Sam November 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Mmmm. They all have the same yellowy skin colour in my browser!

19 Johnny November 25, 2011 at 2:56 am

Melting Pot: Man, I HATE it when men wear hats to the table. That’s what we should take from Dim’s side. No one who calls himself a gentleman should wear a cap while eating inside a house. Disrespectful, regardless of color.

20 Josh Knowles November 26, 2011 at 11:31 am

I can’t believe that people are finding racist messages in this excellent cartoon. I just assumed that the black man and boy at the table were meant to be his in-laws OR that Dash was at a church or community meal with his friends and neighbors. No need to go all high school English teacher on a comic and find messages that just aren’t there.

21 JPR November 26, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Ahh if only I had seen this before Thanksgiving!…just kidding

22 mike November 27, 2011 at 10:05 am

Every non-white person in my family (total of 6) that I’ve shown this saw the same racist message; Even my white hispanic wife saw it as racist.

23 Bobby November 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Dim is the man!

24 basic November 27, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I thought they were hispanic…

25 wesley November 28, 2011 at 12:18 am

hello friends,

lets recap the comic,

dim takes drumstick from little girl in pilgrim hat.

dash asks if anyone wants the last bit of stuffing.

lets not read too much into it. or maybe i should just stop reading the comments.

wesley

26 Richard November 28, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I see “Gallant” has grown up nicely, while “Goofus” clearly hasn’t. And he’s no doubt going to get a mouthful of splinter bones as a reward for his gluttony…

27 Bob November 29, 2011 at 1:25 am

In Dim’s defense, the girl was going straight for it as well. Relatives are relatively relative.

28 David November 29, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Come on people. A comic having people of different races in it does not make the comic about race.

For god’s sake.

29 jaklumen November 30, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Richard: Nice! I thought of Goofus and Gallant, too. I wonder if they were Mr. Slampyak’s inspiration, then.

30 Mick December 2, 2011 at 2:42 am

The thing that stands out for me (and Johnny in an above post) is the fact that two people are being disrespectful by sitting at the table with hats on. The food snatching came secondary. As to those that read or racism into the comic strip. I never noticed that they were anything but other people at the table…Friends as opposed to relatives.

31 Dave December 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm

A black man? Really? I thought it was Sgt Joe Friday and his son. It never occoured to me that Dash was having dinner with a black family. WTF are you people smoking?!

BTW, Mick – for some reason or another it has pretty much always been OK for girls to wear hats indoors, even at the table.

32 Wasim July 3, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Dash has a pair of manly sideburns; Dash does not.

33 Wasim July 3, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Oops. I meant Dim does not. Sideburns make all the difference.