Dim & Dash: Out With Friends

by Brett & Kate McKay on October 28, 2011 · 24 Comments

in Dim & Dash, Visual Guides

1 Panos Ginis October 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm

yeah, found myself in the Dash role with a bunch of Dim friends. Sometimes they would just go ahead and order drinks and instruct the bar tender to put it on my tab. they are honestly nice people, but just because they are broke is not a good reason to be loose with my money! so now when i hang out with them, i show up with a small amount of cash (enough to by myself 2-3 drinks and leave the bartender a tip each time) and get my own drinks from the bar. when they try to order a round from the waitress, i ask for a water.

2 Haden Griggs October 28, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I believe Dim should probably study your book extensively, Brett.

3 DyingBred October 28, 2011 at 5:19 pm

@PanosGinis how about you flat out tell your friends to never do that again? I have friends who are honestly good people, but putting something on my tab without asking me then surprising me with the bill to me is flat out stealing.

Sometimes you need to be stern with friends, they might get mad but a true friend doesn’t stay mad. Otherwise if you just try to weasel your way around the situation and making it complicated for you then you will continue to have this type of problem

4 Daren Redekopp October 28, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Dang it, Dim! Will you ever get it right?

5 Joshua Isbell October 28, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I think my favorite thing about Dim and Dash is that Dim is always clad in wrinkled “bro-dude” clothes, while Dash and those in his company sport a classic smart look.

6 Mathias October 28, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Seems like the guy in the front center of the Dim panel is reaching for something with which to teach Dim a lesson he won’t soon forget…

7 Philip October 29, 2011 at 12:11 am

St. Louis wins the World Series!

8 BopBop October 29, 2011 at 7:47 am

Used to go out with sales reps and buyers for drinks/dinner. Be the first one to offer to pick up the tab. Someone else will
invariably say “no let me”, or “its mine”. Do not fight over the tab. If you made the offer once you have done your job and
no further offers are required but you can give them a “well next time its mine”

9 Fritz October 29, 2011 at 8:56 am

Yeah Joshua, I’ve noticed that Dim is always in Bro clothes too.

10 Josh Knowles October 29, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I love the fact that Dim is not just a mooch, he’s a big mooch! He’s got three empty beers in from of him, whereas everyone else just has one. And the fact that he’s always wearing that same ugly outfit is just great.

11 Rob @notactuallyahero October 29, 2011 at 3:52 pm

It’s definitely important to keep in mind that Dash only picks up the tab “some of the time.” Don’t become *that* guy. The one buying friends, you know?

12 Marko October 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Well, if you ever find yourself in my country (Serbia). Allow someone other to pay your drink. If we have enough money every each of us pays a round of drinks, until they ran out of money. But that is not being done with all of your house money, people who spend every single penny in the bar are being regarded as rednecks, but it’s an insult to refuse to let your friend buy you a drink if he can afford to do so.

13 Mike D. October 29, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I have hung out with people like Dim before and it is either no money, or they are “one of those large bill kinda guys who only have like a hundred with them and they just flat out refuse to break it” which I find really annoying. I would rather call a friend to go and do something and have them say, “Man I would really like to go out, but I am just broke we could hang out and watch a DVD or something” if they are broke.

14 Basil Moss October 30, 2011 at 6:24 am

Poor old America. Here in old blighty, we have an arrangement called “rounds”.

15 Joe October 30, 2011 at 1:15 pm

My entire fraternity was made up of Dims. Also it seems that Dim and Dash share a friend, the well dressed gentleman in the middle of Dim’s illustration.

16 Jim October 31, 2011 at 9:13 am

I subscribe to the theory as our Serbian friend, everyone buys a round. Just need to watch out for the guy who is always in the bathroom when it’s his turn. If there is a lot of people going out, such as after work, I like using a kitty. Everyone throws in $20 (or more if the place is expensive/we’ll be out for a while) and we pay the bartender out of that.

17 StupidProblem October 31, 2011 at 9:35 am

We wouldn’t have this stupid problem if people just paid for their own sh!t. Doesn’t help when you try to settle this with your friends when everybody’s wasted and half of you are preoccupied with trying to get some pu$$y. Bar culture is as much a waste as thug culture.

18 yebo October 31, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Dim has you all fooled…………………..he actually is one of the 1%ers and laughing all the way home……

19 joji1909 October 31, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I’m currently working in South Korea and there is a different twist to this problem. Typically, the oldest person in the group will pick up the tab. The idea is that that person was once younger and had other people pay for his drinks so now it is his turn. This attitude is somewhat changing these days as the younger generation prefers ‘Dutch pay’, with some bars/restaurants even giving each patron a card that records only their purchases.

Among the expats though, we prefer the British/Australian idea of rounds. Woe betide anyone who consistently vanishes just before it’s their turn to buy a round.

20 icecycle66 November 1, 2011 at 10:08 am

“…from time to time.”, being a crucial factor.

21 bashir November 2, 2011 at 12:19 am

very very nice topics

22 JeffC November 2, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Equally off-putting as the man who never picks up the tab is the one who always picks up the tab, thinking he’s being magnanimous: it’s frustrating his friends’ need/willingness to contribute.

Sure, take your turn, but don’t try to be the Big Man every time: it will have the opposite of the result you desire.

23 Thomas McCartney November 12, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Great comments. I just took my team out for drinks. While the tab got a bit large, they appreciated it as it was an easy way to show my appreciation.

24 Aaron P. November 13, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I’m from America and my friends and I either go for rounds or pay for our own drinks.

@ jojji1909 – Hello fellow ex-pat in South Korea. Did you ever havce the problem of the waiters putting everyones’ drinks on one tab even when you specifically told them you were going Dutch? I hate that!