Manvotional: A Letter from General George S. Patton to His Son

by Brett & Kate McKay on August 21, 2011 · 52 comments

in A Man's Life, Manvotionals

On June 6, 1944, General George S. Patton wrote this letter to his twenty-year-old son, George Jr., who was enrolled at West Point. Patton Sr. was in England training the Third Army in preparation for the battles that would follow the invasion at Normandy.

Note: The letter’s grammar and spelling have been slightly edited for clarity.

APO 403, N.Y.

“D-Day”

Dear George:

At 0700 this morning the BBC announced that the German Radio had just come out with an announcement of the landing of Allied Paratroops and of large numbers of assault craft near shore. So that is it.

This group of unconquerable heroes whom I command are not in yet but we will be soon—I wish I was there now as it is a lovely sunny day for a battle and I am fed up with just sitting.

I have no immediate idea of being killed but one can never tell and none of us can live forever, so if I should go don’t worry but set yourself to do better than I have.

All men are timid on entering any fight; whether it is the first fight or the last fight all of us are timid. Cowards are those who let their timidity get the better of their manhood. You will never do that because of your blood lines on both sides. I think I have told you the story of Marshall Touraine who fought under Louis XIV. On the morning of one of his last battles—he had been fighting for forty years—he was mounting his horse when a young ADC [aide-de-camp] who had just come from the court and had never missed a meal or heard a hostile shot said: “M. de Touraine it amazes me that a man of your supposed courage should permit his knees to tremble as he walks out to mount.” Touraine replied “My lord duke I admit that my knees do tremble but should they know where I shall this day take them they would shake even more.” That is it. Your knees may shake but they will always take you towards the enemy. Well so much for that.

There are apparently two types of successful soldiers. Those who get on by being unobtrusive and those who get on by being obtrusive. I am of the latter type and seem to be rare and unpopular: but it is my method. One has to choose a system and stick to it; people who are not themselves are nobody.

To be a successful soldier you must know history. Read it objectively–dates and even the minute details of tactics are useless. What you must know is how man reacts. Weapons change but man who uses them changes not at all. To win battles you do not beat weapons–you beat the soul of man of the enemy man. To do that you have to destroy his weapons, but that is only incidental. You must read biography and especially autobiography. If you will do it you will find that war is simple. Decide what will hurt the enemy most within the limits of your capabilities to harm him and then do it. TAKE CALCULATED RISKS. That is quite different from being rash. My personal belief is that if you have a 50% chance take it because the superior fighting qualities of American soldiers lead by me will surely give you the extra 1% necessary.

In Sicily I decided as a result of my information, observations and a sixth sense that I have that the enemy did not have another large scale attack in his system. I bet my shirt on that and I was right. You cannot make war safely but no dead general has ever been criticised so you have that way out always.

I am sure that if every leader who goes into battle will promise himself that he will come out either a conqueror or a corpse he is sure to win. There is no doubt of that. Defeat is not due to losses but to the destruction of the soul of the leaders. The “Live to fight another day” doctrine.

The most vital quality a soldier can possess is SELF CONFIDENCE–utter, complete and bumptious. You can have doubts about your good looks, about your intelligence, about your self control but to win in war you must have NO doubts about your ability as a soldier.

Note that I speak of “Military reactions”–no one is borne with them any more than anyone is borne with muscles. You can be born with the soul capable of correct military reactions or the body capable of having big muscles, but both qualities must be developed by hard work.

The intensity of your desire to acquire any special ability depends on character, on ambition. I think that your decision to study this summer instead of enjoying yourself shows that you have character and ambition—they are wonderful possessions.

Soldiers, all men in fact, are natural hero worshipers. Officers with a flare for command realise this and emphasize in their conduct, dress and deportment the qualities they seek to produce in their men. When I was a second lieutenant I had a captain who was very sloppy and usually late yet he got after the men for just those faults; he was a failure.

The troops I have commanded have always been well dressed, been smart saluters, been prompt and bold in action because I have personally set the example in these qualities. The influence one man can have on thousands is a never-ending source of wonder to me. You are always on parade. Officers who through laziness or a foolish desire to be popular fail to enforce discipline and the proper wearing of uniforms and equipment not in the presence of the enemy will also fail in battle, and if they fail in battle they are potential murderers. There is no such thing as: “A good field soldier:” you are either a good soldier or a bad soldier.

Well this has been quite a sermon but don’t get the idea that it is my swan song because it is not–I have not finished my job yet.

Your affectionate father.

1 Joe August 21, 2011 at 11:39 am

One of my favorite posts, good work

2 Mr Writing III August 21, 2011 at 11:48 am

:”People who are not themselves, are nobody.”

Excellent bit of wisdom.

3 Woody August 21, 2011 at 11:54 am

He was a “Man.” God bless him and keep him.

4 Jesse Hachey August 21, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I’m so glad that you posted this, guys. I had never read this letter before, but now I want to frame it on my wall! It is truly a passage of leadership from a great man. Thank you so much for finding and sharing this with us.

5 Tony August 21, 2011 at 12:28 pm

General Patton is one of my heros. Thanks for posting this letter to his son. Over the course of 20+ years in the Army I can assure you that his observations are still very true to this day.

6 Shane Williams August 21, 2011 at 12:41 pm

“Many people do not agree with me; they are wrong. The unerring jury of history written long after both of us are dead will prove me correct.”

Now that is to truly believe in your ideals, to have an unwavering sense of right and wrong. Patton was one of the greatest generals that America ever saw. If anyone hasn’t seen the movie titled ‘Patton’, they should definately do so, its a pretty good depiction of him, George C. Scott does an excellent job of portraying Patton. I can’t remeber whether or not that movie is on the list of 100 movies every man should see, but if it isn’t, it oughta be.

7 Chad M Smith August 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I love that line: “[P]eople who are not themselves are nobody.”

8 Joe @ Not Your Average Joe August 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I also love the same quote that everyone is drawn to here. Patton was a man’s man and there are not too many like him here in modern America. Great post, thanks for the Sunday afternoon inspiration…

9 Dave B. August 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm

A good read. It’s amazing that an individual of such power and charisma as Patton would put to paper the same demons that every man struggles with.

It’s impressive to hear such a renowned military mind essentially state that the key to winning a war is to instill doubt in the minds of the opposition’s leaders and certainty in those of his allies and subordinates. It says much about manliness that Patton sought to emasculate enemy generals in their own minds as a strategy to gain an edge in conflict, and that he used (and encouraged others to use) masculinity to rally his own peers and troops.

10 John T August 21, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Such an inspirational letter. I’m always proud to see that members of my family have made an impact on the world and will continue to.

11 Deborah Snow August 21, 2011 at 7:09 pm

President Kennedy talked about how the world will judge those of the WWII generation, he said we came as liberators not conquerors and that 50 years after the war ended we would know if we were successful, if the German people were better off. If not for men as General Patton, General Eisenhower and every soldier in the ETO/PTO and those that served in anyway proved to me that they all deserve our debt of gratitude. I know I will be forever in their debt.

12 Dom August 21, 2011 at 8:14 pm

“Many people do not agree with me; they are wrong.”

Love it.

13 Paul List August 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm

He not only read history, he obviously studied Aristotle, as he makes a clear distinction between the body and the soul and his logic is as sound as rock; as it is with all real men. Little wonder Alexander the Great conquered the world….he was Aristotle’s student. When men turn off the ‘Hellelevision’ and stop watching over-paid thugs chasing a ball around (and a whole lot worse things) and start reading Aristotle again it will be spring time in the Western World. Until then we are doomed to decay.

14 RJ August 21, 2011 at 9:19 pm

There are So many notable parts to this post !
Many of my favourites are listed above.. I also noted this :
This Guy knew how men work. You could do a class on this.. Heck, They SHOULD do a class on this.. it could raise up a greater generation of American Men !
The part that says ‘it really isn’t about destroying weapons.. you have to destroy weapons but it is really about destroying , in a sense , the confidence of your enemy leaders. How brilliant is that ? Soldiers, all men in fact, are natural hero worshippers.
Amazing insights. Thanks for this post.. I would love to see a great book on this letter. Suggested reading based on what HE read.

15 Hunter August 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I am glad you enjoyed my letter. I am the reincarnation of George.

16 JaytheGreat August 21, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Great article from a great man.
Paul ,quit the right wing mindset. Most athletes are not thugs This just speaks volumes about your insecurties. Sports competitiion have existed and continue to exist until the end of time If guys continue to watch TV at the expense of heir self growth, it just put those who dont watch TV at advantage.

17 Doug August 22, 2011 at 5:43 am

Very inspirational letter, however please remember this is the same man in 1943 that while visiting wounded soldiers in a hospital in Sicily, asked one to describe his injuries. “It’s my nerves,” the soldier replied. Patton slapped him across the face and called him a coward.

18 Chaz August 22, 2011 at 5:45 am

Patton was a complex character, and I think it dangerous to take this stuff at face value. If nothing else, on his way into Messina he urged Bradley to “spend men” (his “unconquerable heroes”) if necessary http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=tIJWX_7kDXcC&lpg=PA208&ots=3EUnV6r8IS&dq=patton%20messina%20%22spend%20men%22&pg=PA208#v=onepage&q&f=false

Viewed even more uncharitably, it has been said that this order was made so that Montgomery would not beat him into Messina. Either way, it is hard to justify the order no matter how quickly Messina was taken, as it was clear that the German army could not be preventing from escaping into Italy.

His warrior spirit was necessary in WW2, he was often a shrewd tactician and he was a not a shallow thinker in his field. But I would not want to follow an ego such as Patton’s into a war.

19 Artimid August 22, 2011 at 6:14 am

“What success I have had results from the fact that I have always been certain that my military reactions were correct. Many people do not agree with me; they are wrong. The unerring jury of history written long after both of us are dead will prove me correct.”

I absolutely love his confidence. That is one of my favorite phrases, “Many people do not agree with me; they are wrong”. But to deliver it so .. plainly.. in his situation just made me laugh. :p

I also like his general idea here, “Soldiers, all men in fact, are natural hero worshipers. Officers with a flare for command realise this and emphasize in their conduct, dress and deportment the qualities they seek to produce in their men. When I was a second lieutenant I had a captain who was very sloppy and usually late yet he got after the men for just those faults; he was a failure” because that strikes me as very true. Whether it is from super-hero comics/cartoons or from our family, most of the great men I have met had someone they idolised.
This is very much a man I would have liked to have met, and if I had to serve or work under someone, it would gladly be someone like him. Too many managers I have worked under have been following the examples of his 2nd. Lt. Sloppy and … just sad.

And Chaz, from that information I probably would follow him into war, but I would want to be higher up on the food chain so I wouldn’t qualify as his currency. In the time of war like the WWs… it is sad but sometimes people had to be vicious. Also, no matter how bad Patton was, at least he wasn’t like certain British leaders who kept trying the same tactic no matter how many times it failed, resulting in insanely huge losses each and every time. >_<

20 Deborah Snow August 22, 2011 at 7:40 am

A lot of very good points are being made about General Patton and his “style.” He was well educated and read but unfit in the art of diplomacy. He knew how to motivate the men under his command and “get it done”. If General Eisenhower and other did not have to deal with General Montgomery and others, General Patton would of shorten the time it would take to get to Berlin. Lets not forget if Hilter wasn’t so ill suited and he had allowed his Generals (Rommel) to do what was needed many battles may have turned out differently. Fighting in the ETO was very different then the PTO, the Japanese soldiers, her people and leaders were a different breed of believers in the art of war.

21 Gift August 22, 2011 at 8:16 am

Definitely a great general, even if he was also very much a man of his time i.e the post traumatic stress incident. I do think he rather unfairly gets a singled out for this encounter, while I don’t think slapping a shell shocked soldier was ok it’s not as if sympathy and understanding of the condition was wide-spread.

On a related note: Chaz, setting Patton’s motivations to one side, it’s is a general’s responsibility to “spend men” in war; if he can’t he’s not going to be much of a general. I don’t see why Patton should be condemned for fulfilling his job description.

-Gift.

22 Daniel Gardner August 22, 2011 at 9:09 am

A brilliant piece. First time to read it. Thanks for posting it!

23 jim warfield August 22, 2011 at 9:33 am

I have always thought it was too bad the makers of the movie “Patton” didn’t have his “guts” to place more actual heroic incidents in their movie simply because they assumed the audience would not believe them, even though they were very true.
In particular I am referring to the time he found his men cowering at the Rhine in the face of sporatic machine gun fire, demanded a rifle and pack, strapped them on, jumped into the cold water, waded across, jumped out on the opposite bank and waved for them to follow, all at the age of 62!

24 Matt August 22, 2011 at 11:13 am

I guess I don’t mind being in the minority by saying that I agree with Chaz. I’ve never done well working with someone who has such high opinion of themselves as to say that anybody who disagreed with them is wrong. Patton accomplished some great things, but who’s to say that he couldn’t have done the same without the overpowering ego. I’d say there were a fairly large contingent of the population that hated his guts, regardless of his successes.

25 Phil August 22, 2011 at 11:25 am

Contrast this post with the recent post “lose with dignity, celebrate with grace,” particularly striking is Patton’s remark that a general should go expecting to either come out “a corpse or conquer.”

26 dave August 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Patton waded across the Rhine, did he? I’d have liked to see that. Could he breathe underwater or was he 100 ft tall?

27 Joe August 22, 2011 at 2:22 pm

He had a prescience that rivaled that of Paul Atreides; how right he was.

28 Scott August 22, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Great post! Thank you.

29 Will August 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Dave: both.

This has to be my favorite post in the past few months of following AOM blog. thanks for posting it.

“Cowards are those who let their timidity get the better of their manhood.” Love it. Everyone is afraid, it just depends on if you will control your fear or let it control you.

30 Kevin Aldrich August 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Another great point: “There is no such thing as: ‘A good field soldier:’ you are either a good soldier or a bad soldier.’

I take this to mean you have to practice or train the way you hope to perform. Our current military understands this, because you are constantly hearing the comment from soldiers in a combat operation, “It was just like in training.”

We civilians have to take this to heart also. Practice the way you hope to perform and you will perform the way you practiced.

31 Chad August 22, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Excellent post. Very timely.

32 tim_lebsack August 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm

If my family and my land were under attack, I would follow General Patton through hell and back to protect them from slavery.

33 Andre August 22, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Awesome letter!

34 Doug August 23, 2011 at 2:24 am

I agree with the above statement that he was a man of his times and the treatment of “shell shocked” troops was not widely understood. We’re lucky military leaders today are starting to recognize that conditions like “PTSD” are real and legitimate health issues in addition to physical wounds.

35 Mark August 23, 2011 at 4:39 am

Considering that I can never get enough of George Patton’s words and wisdom, I am seriously going to print this letter on paper and place it in a prominent spot on my desk where I can read it every morning and refer to it often. Like Patton, I’m also very much a man of another time, long past. I can relate to his views on many things in ways that many in the generations since, simply cannot. He was just what this country needed at the time it needed him the most. Such a man doesn’t need to please the masses who can’t relate to his tactics. He’s too busy doing a job he was born to do. Did he have a huge ego? Sure he did! All great men (or at least most of them) have! Who cares and how is the opinion of some pony-tailed sentimental types even relevant to his accomplishments as a general on the battlefield? Who would you rather follow into battle, Mr. Rogers or George Patton? He believed in his men and their courage and with what little was known about PTSD at the time, all he was trying to do was keep the rest of his men’s morale from suffering at the sight of a fellow soldier’s breakdown. His fear was of broken morale on the battlefield costing hundreds more lives than otherwise, all because they might stop to question their orders or even the mission itself. Put that in the context of the time, before we knew much about PTSD, and it’s not too hard to understand why he would come to those conclusions. You can be quite certain he wasn’t the first general in the history of warfare to concern himself with such a matter. People today are quite spoiled. If they don’t like a superior, all they have to do is holler discrimination of one sort or another and it’s all over! Back in Patton’s day there was no time for petty little grievances like that, nor was there room for someone’s individualistic preferences to become more important than the task of killing the enemy. And yes, I DID say “killing the enemy” because that is what an army is designed to do (no matter how politically incorrect that might sound to the ponytail crowd). If that’s too brash for you, you probably wouldn’t have survived a day under Patton’s command and if you can’t follow orders in a perilous war-time situation, you could very well end up a casualty of war.

36 mike August 23, 2011 at 11:34 am

great post. where can I read more inspirational speeches like this? I especially like the old ones, those were the truly heroic days. I like what he says about calculated risk! When I next have a 50% chance I am go to go for it! great advice.

37 Gideon August 23, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Technical difficulties…
Gentlemen,
I’ve lurked for quite a while now, and this is the first post in which I’ve felt compelled to leave a comment, and of course, I dork it up. I feel compelled as I’m an officer on active duty with more than a few years under my belt, a combat veteran and bring that insight to the conversation. With regards to Chaz, your point is understood, although when looking at it through the lens of a military officer, this could have been a prompting of a subordinate commander to be more aggressive in the execution of his portion of the plan. Often, strategic/campaign plans designed at the General level hinge on entire units seizing and/or holding ground at or before a pre-designated time. While one life lost is one too many, in combat, being too cautious can lead to the demise of another unit and the entire plan was for naught. For Kevin Aldrich, you’re 100% right, we do train as we fight, and we strive to make the training environment as realistic as possible. Many statistics exist regarding the number of individuals that fired their weapons during an engagement in WWII, and of those that did engage, in interviews many years later, honestly admitted that they did not aim directly at their targets. This promped a systematic shift in the way that the military sets-up and conducts training, with an emphasis on accurate depiction of combat and making training as realistic as possible (An excellent read on this is the book “On Killing” by LtCol Dave Grossman). Mark, excellent point on the morale bit and Pattons reaction to the soldier in the infirmary that he slapped. On the battlefield, the last thing that you want to happen is for an individual to question your orders, it can lead to his demise, or, the death of someone else. Nonetheless, I enjoy the discourse and look forward to posting further comments.

38 Gault Falcon August 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Chaz. War is awful because it destroys and costs lives. Which is why it is to be avoided until it can no longer be avoided. Then, when it can’t be avoided, you want people like Patton driving the strategy and troops, many of them to their death.

Some people aren’t cut out for following someone else in the course of a mission that may lead to their death. In my opinion those people should stay out of the military, foreign diplomacy and decisions about war and, instead, stay home and be productive on the home front doing something for which they have skill.

39 Kolby August 23, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I love his thoughts on being neatly dressed. It is weird to me that some equate not caring about ones appearance as somehow “manly”. Obviously one should not be a dandy but I love his thoughts relating being prepared and well dressed with manliness and respect.

40 aurelien strippoli August 24, 2011 at 6:06 am

it’s Marshall Turenne – Henri de la Tour d’Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne

Touraine is a french departement

41 Nicole August 25, 2011 at 11:22 am

Outstanding post. I have reposted it twice.

42 Knechtel August 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I’m glad to see Patton on this site. I’d also like to see Henry Fawcett and Joshua Slocum. 2 manly heroes of mine

43 Gwen August 30, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Thank you for the link from http://joshlinkner.com. I should like to share this with my sons when they are grown.

I’d love to see more of this type of writing- I’ll come back again to check. Thanks again.

44 Nathan August 31, 2011 at 2:05 pm

To Chaz (post 18):

As an Army veteran and a new father of a wonderful son, I have two points for you -

1) You are obviously not, nor have ever been, in the military. “Not want”ing to follow a particular superior officer into war never comes to the mind of a servicemember, and it’s a (excuse me for saying) piss poor excuse for refusing to fight a war. To a servicemember, that is the same as saying you don’t want to serve your country. Following all superior officers is implicit in the job. If you don’t want to do it, don’t enlist. What’s next?….”Oh, I don’t want to go fight THAT war…I don’t like the reason we’re in it.” With all due respect, if you want to critique the military, war, and/or appoint it’s senior leadership the way you see fit, go be a loser politician. I can veritably speak for the military when I say that they don’t want you. If you actually want to fight a war, then shut up and fight (If that’s the case, then they want and need you, so you need to go talk to a recruiter today). Big mouths and “smart” critiques don’t get you brownie points in the military. Winning wars does, and Patton has won more wars than you, so he will have this veteran’s respect until the day this veteran dies. Although I never knew the man personally, I think I can speak for him when I say he doesn’t give a damn about your opinion because, while you talker, he’s a doer. (On another note, Patton was absolutely loved by his men.)

I wish I could’ve served under the man, and it has nothing to do with the fact that he was or wasn’t a winner, egotistical, or anything of the sort. I wish I could’ve served under him because he had the privilege of fighting in a very important war during a very important time in world history. Had I been alive, I’d have served in that war under Eisenhower, Patton, or anybody else….anyone who’d have given me the opportunity to stop what was going on in Europe at the time. If you actually think there should’ve been any other motivation or thought behind going to that war, I frankly feel sorry for you.

Done with the soapbox, now on to my second point….

2) You completely missed the point of the article. This was an aspirational letter from a father to a son, and a senior commanding officer in our armed forces in a time of war to a new soldier, and a valued piece of (I assume) your country’s history. If your comment is the best thing you could come up with, I again feel sorry for you. You will forever be the man wishing he could tell his son he did the things men like Patton did.

If feel unbelievably privileged that, when my son grows up, I’ll be able to tell him about my time in the military. I’ll be able to tell him about the places I traveled and about all of the crazy personalities, Patton-like and crazier, I had the honor of serving beside, under, and over…all of whom are some of the best friends I have until this day. I’ll be able to show him my uniforms and medals, and pictures, and I’ll be able to tell him how I met his mom (and how she, to this day, she still scares me more than any war zone I’ve been in). I’ll get to share with him something not every father can.

Chaz, I hope you get to have that one day too but, with all due respect, you need to change your perspective.

To Brett and the rest of the crew: Keep more post like this coming. This was the best one I’ve seen in a while.

45 ---Simon--- September 1, 2011 at 8:20 am

- Inspiring on a whole new level

Man up
Simon

46 Richard September 1, 2011 at 5:58 pm

This is a great post. We need more like this.

General Patton was a complex personality, but most very intelligent men are. As a distant relative of mine (William Tecumshe Sherman) is supposed to have said “war is hell.” So General Patton had to do what he had to do. Be very glad he was there when he was.

47 Boyan September 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Sorry. Don’t like Patton. There’s something utterly unmanly in sending men to die in combat. I know the most of you gentlemen here do not approve this but that’s what I feel. Can’t help it.

48 Ian September 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm

@Nathan: What crap. What are you, a former propaganda officer? My friend the retired marine loves the marines, but he didn’t love everything they did, and he certainly didn’t love all of his superior officers. Neither did my grandfather’s friend and Army Ranger Harry, who won a silver star in WW2, staying in a crashing plane over Italy to attach a parachute to a wounded man. He would have earned the Congressional Medal of Honor but for an incident with a new junior-lieutenant who told Harry he would “make a man out of him.” Harry told the officer off.

Your argument is one of a robot, that the military is infallible, whether they’re bombing the shit out of this or raping the hell out of that, or getting killed storming a hill with its backside open. The reason Patton got so far was that he DID question all of that. The reason the United States is powerful is because we don’t have unquestionable kings. I’m glad you found a place to fit in and not ask questions, but it’s not a warrior’s path.

49 J September 13, 2011 at 6:44 pm

This is my first post on ArtofManliness. Why do I choose to post now, after reading wonderfully written articles from this website for the past few months? This particular article is the reason.

For far too long we have lived in and been hindered by a society seemingly void of men who wish to be men, who wish to fulfill their duty, not because it is popular or easy but once it is right. Thank you for inspiring and encouraging me to continue to do what is right, to live a full and manly life and to die beautifully.

God Bless.

50 Bruno September 9, 2013 at 11:50 am

Gen Patton was the only General the Nazis feared. All others were laughable to them.

51 Todd February 27, 2014 at 7:22 pm

What lead me to this was, reading the book “Patton” a genius for war.

If you like this letter he wrote to his son you will appreciate this book. That is where I found the letter.
The book is very well done and very comprehensive…only a little over 800 pages.
may there be more men like him in Spirit and Truth

52 Anna March 17, 2014 at 6:42 pm

What a great man. When I was young I thought America was full of men like him and I was proud to be American, then I grew up and learned the truth. That great men are rare and most men would rather be comfortable then great.