Motivational Posters: Winston Churchill Edition (Part II)

by Brett & Kate McKay on December 28, 2009 · 24 comments

in A Man's Life, Motivational Posters

Since we are gearing up for the new year and pondering the task of improving ourselves in 2010, we thought it was a good time to hear from old Churchill again, master of giving men a needed kick in the pants. Hopefully these posters will leave you feeling motivated to get yourself in gear. For more inspiration, be sure to check out Part I.

churchillmorality

churchaudacity

churchchallenge

churchalone

churchoptimism

churchprod

churchmoxie

Check out all the motivational posters from AoM:

Theodore Roosevelt Edition
George S. Patton Edition
Ernest Hemingway Edition
Winston Churchill Edition (Part I)
Winston Churchill Edition (Part II)
Black History Month Edition
Bear Bryant Edition
Founding Fathers Edition
Band of Brothers Edition
Business Posters from the 1920s and 1930s

1 Adam Garratt December 28, 2009 at 2:24 pm

These are really nice to read. Winston Churchill was the finest prime minister to ever grace Britain, and I honestly believe we would have had a much more difficult war if he was not in power, he inspired many soldiers to keep going and to keep there chin up. For me the most poignant message has to be conviction: you have enemies? good. that means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life. This for me epitimises Churchill’s raw determination and guts to push us through the most horrific war in the last century. Thanks for this post really inspirational.

2 Mark Nelson December 28, 2009 at 2:41 pm

It’s quotes like those that make you understand why we call great men, great men.

3 digital_dreamer December 28, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Love these lines!
My favorites are “Growth” (criticism) and “Individuality” (solitary trees).

MAJ

4 Steve (Churchill) December 28, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Did you know Winnie had a terrible stuttering problem when he was younger? Most of his speeches were far from extemporaneous. He also slaved over the right words and phrases to get his points across. I like the posters/images – do you get your images from the Library of Congress Archives?
Thanks!

5 Alex December 28, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Great quotes. Thanks for doing all this work.

Do you mind telling us what books/speeches they come from? I would immensely enjoy reading them.

6 Brett McKay December 28, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Steve, the photos were found all over the web, and Alex, the quotes were found in like manner. I looked at a lot of different sites that had collected his quotes.

7 Leif December 28, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Hmmmm, I’ve always tried to play the peacemaker, but the Conviction & Moxie quotes standout to me. Time to turn on the Enthusiasm and go do something

8 Rajesh December 29, 2009 at 1:51 am

Nice quotes and pics to complement them. I really enjoy these motivational posters. Some suggestions for future ones are Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., and Abraham Lincoln. I know these take a lot of time and effort to make, thanks a lot!

9 Bob Iger December 29, 2009 at 5:17 am

I wouldn’t call Winston S. Churchill a perfect leader at all – especially when he was younger he made some serious gaffes, for example the Dardanelles Campaign. But he recovered masterfully and grew into the leader the world needed during World War II. Because he had the humility to learn from his mistakes, Mr. Churchill is a great example for me.

One more thing @ Brett McKay: don’t forget to mention that the image of Churchill is copyrighted by the Churchill Centre (like you did in the last W.S.C. quote article)

10 Richard Shelmerdine December 29, 2009 at 6:53 am

The criticism poster just sums up how life is going for me at the moment. Saved as desktop. Was hard to choose just one though. Excellent post. Love Churchill cos I’m English too.

11 Gaston Petrocelli December 29, 2009 at 6:55 am

I’ve been following your blog for quite some time and this post really moved to comment. Thanks for the quotes and pictures, very insightful.

Would you mind doing something like that with Charles Lindbergh?

Keep up the good work.

Gaston

12 TR December 29, 2009 at 8:38 am

I feel like I’ve just discovered a kindred spirit I’ve known all along, but just now realized the similarities between us.

13 Vincent Schwager December 29, 2009 at 8:44 am

One of my fav Churchill’s quotes is: “Those who are willing to trade freedom for security deserve neither”

14 peter December 29, 2009 at 10:16 am

Excellent post. Churchill was a truly great man. Having read about his life, i feel inspired. Did you also know that he was a very accomplished writer? I wish that men like him still had a chance in politics.

15 Dennis R Clarke December 29, 2009 at 10:42 am

My son sent this excellent series of Churchill quotes all the way from Taiwan where he is working. He had always wondered why I revered Churchill so much.He decided to find out more.

At Christmas in the 50′s my grandfather,who had come to Canada at age 14,gave me the complete set of Churchill’s “History of the English”.This was the beginning of a real interest in the man and his role in the last century.He and FDR will always be truly great.I was a high school teacher for 36 years.My students always found both men facinating.

16 Dave DiPalma December 29, 2009 at 11:50 am

Great post, as usual. That said, shouldn’t the “Constraint” poster be “Restraint” as in, “We failed to exercise restraint when we let those words slip out,”? Thanks for running the AoM. I’m becoming a better man because of the wisdom I’ve read here these past couple of years.

17 Brett McKay December 29, 2009 at 12:17 pm

@Dave-

I think both constraint and restraint are appropriate, as they are fairly synonymous-

Constraint: repression of one’s own feelings, behavior, or action
Restraint: a control over the expression of one’s emotions or thoughts

18 Porfirio Reyes December 29, 2009 at 5:17 pm

A true giant amongst men! Powerful, inspirational and respected….something both US and England’s leaders severely lack.

19 Jonathan Francis December 30, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Having .PNG motivational posters instead of .JPEG pictures would be very handy in future manvotationals. I like to blow them up and post them in my workspace and JPEGs lose quality when upsized.

20 Dennard January 7, 2010 at 6:23 pm

The more I read of Churchill the more I like him.

21 Sean January 27, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I’d pay for some of these in frames….

22 Wesley Hawkins February 22, 2010 at 1:17 am

Churchill was a badass if there ever was one. if you really want to spend some time learning about the man, pick up Martin Gilbert’s “Churchill: A Life.”

23 GENE January 9, 2013 at 5:53 am

Thanks for putting these together, So many villages I hiked through in England 25 years ago their was a sense of the after math of WW2. Great quotes compared to what I hear on the streets 0f 2013 America, I thought we could evolve!