7 Exercises to Make You Look and Feel Like a Man

by Brett on April 6, 2009 · 52 comments

in Health & Sports

2009-04-06_2330

This is a guest post from Vic Magary of Gym Junkies.com. Vic is a personal trainer, karate/taekwando blackbelt, and a U.S. Army veteran.

Walk into any commercial gym today and you’ll see the same thing over and over… overweight guy walks on the treadmill for 5 minutes, then hits the fly machine for a few sets, then he grabs the curl bar, stares into the mirror, and cranks out 3 sets of bicep curls. When he’s done with that, he grabs a squishy mat and does crunches for 10 minutes (all while checking out the cute chick on the elliptical). If this sounds like you, you’re in for a rude awakening…

Let’s think about this logically for a second. Hundreds of years ago we got exercise from sprinting through the woods and tracking down big game with a spear; now we’re sitting on a $5,000 chromed out machine doing flys and calling it a workout? It’s time to ditch the BS and focus on compound muscle exercises that will jack your testosterone, help you look great, and make you feel like a real man.

Here are the 7 best exercises that will make you look and feel like a man:

Deadlifts

What’s more manly than grabbing a bar with as much weight on it as you can possibly lift and ripping it off of the ground? The deadlift requires true max effort, demanding all of your focus and strength. Not only that, but the deadlift is the surest path to a powerful and strong appearance. This results from its emphasis on the glutes, legs, and back while being the best overall body developer in your fitness arsenal. Learn how to deadlift!

Squat

As men, we sometimes feel as if the weight of the world is on our shoulders. Well, get used to bearing some weight by stepping under the squat bar! The squat will give you legs that are pillars of strength and a torso that is rock solid. So make like Atlas and squat big! If you avoid squats because you’re an “upperbody only” type guy, then it’s time to reevaluate your workout and make a serious change. Squatting heavy and deep will make you look and feel like a warrior.

Push Press/Shoulder Press

If pulling as much weight as possible off of the ground with the deadlift is the exercise that makes you feel most manly, then pushing as much weight as you can overhead is a close second. The bench press is given far too much credit. I struggle to think of a scenario in life where we are we caught with our back braced to the floor and a heavy weight extended towards the ceiling. However, the functionality of pushing weight overhead from a standing position is undeniable. Need to put that heavy box in your attic? Or help lift your buddy over a high fence when it’s time to escape and evade? The push press will help you move heavy objects to high places and give you the round, broad shoulders that make women swoon.

Sled Drag

With a rope, chain, or nylon strap, hook yourself up to a shoulder harness or belt connected to a heavy object like a tire or weighted sled. Now lean forward, start stepping, and pull! Not only will your legs be pushed to the maximum, your heart and lungs will crank at top speed. Enjoy the heart pounding sensation and know that you are training like a real man.

Sledge Hammer Drills

Manual labor is well, manly. And in modern society’s sea of white collars and cubicles, it pays to create some physical work when your paycheck doesn’t require it. Repeatedly slam the sledge hammer with all of your might into an old tire or some soft earth. Your back, shoulders, midsection, and forearms will benefit and sledge hammer drills are great for stress relief.

Sandbag Clean

Another throw back to manual labor, the sandbag clean is a great exercise for overall physical development a well as grip strength. If your sandbag has handles, don’t use them. Just grip the bag by the cloth and work on developing some man-hands. Strong grip = Strong man.

Weighted Pull-Ups

I’d love it if the common gym question of “How much can you bench?” was replaced by “How many pull-ups can you do?” The problem is that most guys cheat the pull-up by failing to fully extend their arms at the bottom or get their chin above the bar at the top. If you can knock out 10 honest pull ups, try adding some weight. You can use a weight belt and hang some plates from it, pinch a dumbbell between your ankles, wear a weighted vest or back back, or put your wife or girlfriend on your back if you’re (and they’re) up to it. Adding weight to the pull-up will help add width to the back and give you the tapered V-shaped look.

Conclusion

If you are currently working out and not seeing the results you want, I highly suggest you focus on these compound movements and a healthy diet. Results don’t come from miracle supplements or infomercial ab machines…. They come from busting your ass, eating right, and staying consistent. If you need help putting a plan together, we have free workouts on our site such as our How to build muscle workout, and also our How to lose fat workout. And if your eating habits could use some improvement, you’ll probably like our caveman style weight loss diet.

If you liked this article you can get more tips from my blog right here… Vic’s fitness blog (or subscribe to our RSS feed)

1 David Peters April 6, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Very intersting and looks intense.

2 Sam April 7, 2009 at 1:56 am

Whoever wrote this article must have something to do with crossfit.

3 John vG April 7, 2009 at 3:18 am

First off, I’m not a fitness expert. In fact I’m not particularly fit looking, but I stay in good cardio vasular shape at least and keep my weight at a very good level, so at 48 I have a few years of thinking about this stuff and living it under my belt.

For someone who is overweight, I don’t think it’s the best approach to send them to the gym for muscle man exercises. They’ll get frustrated and bored and will quit. Seen it time and time again with my friends. I think the BEST way to start a lifestyle change is WALKING. Yes, simple walking. Make it a daily lifestyle choice. Couple walking with good diet, limited quantities, no snacking, cut out fats and sugars, and soon enough the weight will start to drop, the body will crave exercise and most importantly you will build up some stamina! Your heart and lungs will know what it is to work at something.

The beauty of walking is it can be ramped up almost effortlessly over time as you get more fit. Eventually you’re powering up hills with the heart beating like a drum and the lungs taking in big tanks of fresh air and all the msucles getting warm and pumped up with blood. Plus, there’s no fear of “looking fat” or dealing with the distractions of the gym.

Mind you, the gym is excellent and I encourage guys to go there as well, but start off (or with) a daily rigorous walking routine and you’re more likely to stick with a gvym routine. The fact that muscle burns more fat than other tissue is a powerful piece of information too, and is another good reason to do some resistance training as outlined in the article.

Don’t go for big gains at the start. The initial goal is to attune your body to exercise and healthy routines.

4 Scott April 7, 2009 at 3:52 am

Awesome post. People tend to focus too much on one thing and forgo compound movements.

5 CF4Life April 7, 2009 at 4:17 am

Crosssssssss Fittttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!

6 Dan April 7, 2009 at 4:33 am

Fantastic post. I am tired of seeing guys doing work outs of curls and other isolation exercises. Compound exercises are the way to go. Very manly.

7 Mandi April 7, 2009 at 6:08 am

Not to mention that the vast majority of women find the guys with highly developed individual muscles and the “body-builder” look to be physically repulsive and narcissistic creeps. Work out enough to be strong and healthy and work out without staring at yourself in a mirror and talking about your awesome pecs please. We really don’t want to hear about your body fat percentage (anymore than you want to hear about ours) and striation is disgusting.

8 Frito April 7, 2009 at 6:55 am

Kudos on the article. But no push ups?

9 Charlie April 7, 2009 at 7:03 am

I liked this! A lot. And, hey, I’ve given up on figuring out what motivates people to work out. I work out three-four times a week (weights, running and sport) and found some useful ideas here.

10 60 in 3 - Health and Fitness April 7, 2009 at 7:14 am

Just be careful with those sledgehammer drills. Even without the risk of hitting yourself in the foot, swinging weight around like that is a bit of an injury risk if you don’t know what you’re doing.

The rest of these exercises are great though.

And Dan, totally agreed. Too many guys at the gym doing bicep curls when they should be working on their whole body.

Gal

11 Patrick April 7, 2009 at 7:26 am

I would not recommend giving up isolation exercises completely. Although compound exercises are without a doubt superior, (after all, there is a reason squats, deadlifts, and presses are staples of any exercise program), they can still be incorporated into a larger work-out routine.

I personally do isolation exercises such as curls or raises in addition to squats, deadlifts, shoulder presses, bent over rows, bench presses, and sometimes pullups.

There is no reason why a workout schedule should not include both isolation and compound exercises. just make SURE you have the 4 good compound exercises listed above. As for the sled pull/sledgehammer/sandbag, they do sound pretty manly, I may have to try them out

12 Uberhack April 7, 2009 at 7:51 am

I second Frito. Push-ups are as important in a workout regimen as squats. It’s a multi-muscle group exercise and you can do it damn near anywhere.

13 Alain April 7, 2009 at 7:59 am

Great post. For workouts that combine these movements and others, check Crossfit.com. Best thing I ever tried.

14 Tom April 7, 2009 at 8:28 am

I’ve had a lot of success using this type of workout (CrossFit). Each workout you simply add 2.5 lbs weights to each side of the bar and in no time you’re squating over 250 lbs and bench pressing 200 lbs. Nothing motivates you more than seeing your strength gains with each workout.

I don’t know why some people aren’t fans of CrossFit workouts but I guess to each their own.

15 Cory April 7, 2009 at 10:37 am

I find it hilarious that the author makes fun of gym workouts but then presents a regimen involving weights inside a gym. should we eat protein bars and drink muscle milk as well?! LOL

I seriously hope the site authors decide to write an article about Georges Herbert, method naturelle, and Erwan Le Corre.

haha tire dragging and weighted pull-ups…….i think today’s out of shape people should work on just being able to jog down the street or climb a flight of stairs. balance, coordination, and flexibility go alot further than being able to drag a tractor tire.

16 Ryan April 7, 2009 at 10:41 am

Weighted dips, like weighted pull-ups, are great too!

17 Vic Magary April 7, 2009 at 10:51 am

Thanks for all the comments so far guys! And also for the comments youve posted over at Gym Junkies or emailed to me…

@ Cory When did I ever make fun of gym workouts? Im all for fitness whether in a gym, park or your bedroom.

As a martial artist, Im all for being flexible and coordinated. Both of these also improve as you get better at barbell lifts and other exercises. Its a key component of being physically fit.

As you can see this article isnt really intended for someone who’s content sitting on the couch and eating potato chips. If you’re one of the guys out there already putting in time at the gym or in your basement, these are exercises that I KNOW will truly help you get in shape and be as strong as you can.

If you guys have any other questions/comments leave them here and I’ll be sure to answer em…

- Vic
GymJunkies.com

18 Yum Yucky April 7, 2009 at 10:58 am

I’m a girl so I guess I shouldn’t be here right now. (But I still do deadlifts and weighted squats).

19 Shane Bradbury April 7, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Yesssssssssss! this post is excellent, I’ve been doing Crossfit and Crossfit related exercises for almost two years. These are REAL exercises. I was nervous to open this link for fear of finding bicep curls and tricep kick backs. Nice Post for sure!

20 Joe April 7, 2009 at 3:49 pm

While squats and push presses are great exercises no doubt, they are not for everyone. Squats can be tough on your knees, and push presses tough on your shoulders. If you are already having problems with these joints, you should consider researching alternatives.

21 Art April 7, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Pretty goofy form on the weighted pull-up. Better to knock some weight off and keep it smooth. No need to jerk yourself an injury. I used to subscribe to the compound exercise idea and still do, with modification. I like Incline and inverted leg presses and dumbbell shoulder presses and dumbbell bench presses. You can get just as strong and manly without subjecting yourself to possible injury with squats.

Of course, if you like squats, there’s nothing wrong with them either.

You still need arm curls if you want big arms. And bent over rowing will beat the pull-ups any day for mass.

The author’s main point does stand. You do see a lot of guys at the gym focusing on cable movements to the exclusion of dumbbells and almost any leg exercise.

22 Jonathan April 7, 2009 at 4:24 pm

As a former powerlifter, and someone who hopes to overcome spinal injuries from an automobile accident, I can lend support that these holistic movements work. At the height of my lifting, at 150 lbs, I could deadlift 365, partial deadlift 1000, squat 535, and leg press 1200+.

You don’t necessarily bulk up by powerlifting. To put on massive bulk takes good genes or ‘roids. The rest of us just get stronger and in good physical condition. This goes for the ladies too. My ex wife lifted with me and never got above 115. She had some impressive numbers for her size.

The most powerfull lifters, pound-for-pound, tend to be those who you never suspect, who look like wimps if you just judged them by physical appearance. I forgot the guys name but there was a guy in PowerliftingUSA a few years back who at 5’4″ and 120 lbs, could beat my deadlift by about 100 lbs. I consistently lifted with guys twice my weight or more.

You can also vary your powerlifting and use short recovery times between sets to elevate your cardiovascular endurance. You can also just go run/ walk/ hike on days between lifting. If you do powerlift, be sure to leave 2 – 4 days recovery before working that major group again. I’m currently just running and doing push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups myself. That’s good enough for basic healthy maintenance.

23 Internet Marketing Consultant April 7, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Great exercises except I’d be too tired to do anything else manly after this workout.

24 Jonathan April 7, 2009 at 4:27 pm

One more thing: There are a couple of different “proper” techniques for both the squat and deadlift that depend largely on your body type. You want to use the one that is proper for you. Otherwise, you will never feel comfortable and/ or at risk of serious injury.

25 Michael April 8, 2009 at 7:20 am

Read and/or check out Mark Rippetoe’s “Starting Strength” for proper technique on the Big Three exercises (Squat, Bench and Deadlift).

26 JS April 8, 2009 at 11:40 am

Like many of the poster’s above have already mentioned. Many of these exercises plus other compound movements can be found at a CrossFit gym. However, I am not sure who goes around putting negative marks on anyone mentioning CrossFit so if you see a negative vote, disregard it as an uninformed vote.

I used to weigh almost 300lbs. Joined a Crossfit Gym and like another post talking about the “Hard Way” I busted my rear for 2 years and now weigh 220lbs being 6’4″. I can do real pull-up’s now, run a 6:20 mile, do hand-stand push ups and all sorts of various “feats of strength” I never though I would be able to do in my life. Regardless, the above exercises do work and are typically incorporated into my workouts at least once a week. They are hard, especially the Sand Bag Cleans, but at the end of the day when you are exhausted and worn out from working hard, you will feel complete and happy. Much more of a man…and your lady will also like your progress ;-)

If you are in the Richmond, VA area then check our CrossFit RVA and come see me, JS, as I know the gym would welcome you and be glad to get you started! (Note: I don’t own or operate the gym, just a member and know what the results can be through hard work)

27 BiggieBigguns April 8, 2009 at 1:08 pm

What cracks me up is that there are only several planes of pushing and/or pulling that the body can do with angles of deviation for variety. This covers most of the basic planes. There is the above the head vertical press/pull, the horizontal chest and back push/pull plane, the opposite vertical with the shrug/dip; the lift from ground deadlift and the squat. Most Olympic lifts are are a combination such as the clean and press and or snatch. What crack me up is that there are only so many planes of attack yet there are at least a dozen magazines that have a high subscription rate that keeps saying the same thing over and over every month every year. Not too much has changed when it comes to free weight. Various machines allow for differing angles of the plane to be utilized but why does it have to be touted like it is the wonder cure for all ecto and endomorphs.

Anyway great basic workout.

28 Cody April 8, 2009 at 5:02 pm

This is not crossfit.. This is strength training. AND IT IS MANLY! I hate seeing people curl at the gym and calling it a workout…

29 Jeff April 9, 2009 at 4:46 am

No, this isnt Crossfit, but its a major part of the mentality. Combine this with oly lifts, gymnastics, and sprints, mix it up in as many ways possible and youve got crossfit. Great write up… wish Id see more people doing real lifts at the gym instead of curls and leg extentions.

Kind of funny that there are so many Crossfitters that read this website =)

30 Shauna Weiss April 9, 2009 at 8:26 am

Hey Vic great article!! I’m a woman and I find that these exercises make me feel strong, powerful and womanly! Love the intensity! Great post!

What’s the deal with the crossfit comments? As a personal trainer I’ve never understood why people have to brand workouts. This is a fantastic routine and everyone can benefit from using it in their routine no matter what name you put on it.

31 Vic Magary April 12, 2009 at 6:40 am

Thanks for all the great comments guys!

And thanks again to Brett for having me on as a guest. Every guy needs to be reading The AOM!

- Vic

32 Dino April 12, 2009 at 7:45 am

Great post – it’s good to see that I’m not alone in thinking that the standing overhead press far outclasses the bench press in terms of overall upper body strength development. You’re never going to get truly strong doing exercises that involve lying or sitting on something!!

One point i would like to make – the guy in the squat and dead video appears to be wearing running shoes which is not advised as these provide an unstable platform and can lead to back and knee injuries. Solid soled shoes or bare feet are better. his form is good, however.

33 blaine May 2, 2009 at 8:39 pm

don’t neglect running stairs.
you get to where you can do ten flights full speed, and you’ll feel like a God.

34 Tavita May 12, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Nice article. I dunno about using the CrossFit brand on the choice of exercises here, it’s pretty clear that Zach Evan-Esh is in some of the video demonstrations.

Should the exercise be called The Evan-Esh Sandbag Clean?

Pretty funny- every exercise above has been used for yrs before the internet, but when a gin swigging couch puts his ladies up for challenge, because he has a disability, and applies old school conditioning concepts to the above exercises, according to his minions the Intellectual Property owns these moves?

Wake up gentlemen, just because you only heard about exercises and concepts at CrossFit doesn’t mean they never existed for over 50yrs.

Loved the Rippetoe reference, too bad he felt the need of joining CrossFit to make a living, his book ‘Starting Strength’ published before he joined CrossFit is a quality reference. Too bad when the timer starts, his taught technique goes out the window.

35 Bart May 20, 2009 at 8:43 am

With the intro “Hundreds of years ago we got exercise from sprinting through the woods and tracking down big game with a spear…” I was hoping that this would be a cool paleo-workout. You know, cave man exercises. As it is, the article is a little blah.

36 gohlico May 21, 2009 at 10:28 am

Woo! Thanks for posting this article. I got a lot of ideas from it and I recently lost 10 lbs. Up to now, I still feel the burn!

37 Phililp June 15, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Good examples of real world functional movements and lifts

38 James Reno August 13, 2009 at 12:25 am

Good collection of exercises. Would had to have to do all of them in a row. Eating raw and being athletic.

To Your Health!
James Reno (editor)
Raw-Food-Repair.com

39 k2000k August 27, 2009 at 1:15 am

Don’t forget bent over barbell rows, its a good way to build your back muscles. I do all those exercises and then some variations, such as hack squats, overhead squats, and front squats. Nothing makes you feel more like a man than lifting heavy things.

40 Scottso September 12, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Couldn’t agree more, as someone who has been at ‘the iron game’ for over thirty years this type of basic training is what the folks today call ‘core training’.

I encourage everyone whos interested in this type of training to read Mark Rippatoe’s book!

41 Rocco November 3, 2009 at 1:34 am

What a lot of guys fail to realise when it comes to working out is that if you focus on becoming fitter and stronger, your body naturally takes on an aesthetically pleasing appearance. It doesn’t necessarily work the other way round! We’ve all known guys who look physically imposing but can barely climb a flight of stairs without breathing like a freight train afterwards. Conversely, athletes train in order to maximise physical performance rather than to look good, yet these people have some of the most impressive physiques around. Focus on achieving your physical goals and the cosmetic ones will follow!

42 Steven Proto November 17, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I am flattered to see my Weighted Pull-up video on here. I am a fan of anyone who adds weight to there pull-ups.

Art,
I’ve been adding weight for 5 years never had an injury, to say my form is goofy and will cause injury is inaccurate. If I took of some weight I’m sure my form would improve but I would not have been able to progress from 25 lbs to 186 lbs added to my body weight.

Vic Magary, keep writing!

EP

43 Tas von Gleichen December 5, 2009 at 3:31 pm

This is as manly as it can get. Unfortunately I am to skinny so I just stick with running.

44 Lars Von Fingerbang December 17, 2009 at 7:43 am

Totally what Cody said above – this isn’t Crossfit! Crossfit uses these exercises, but in a different way. This is just good common sense that is all too often overlooked by people who don’t know what they’re doing.

I’m 28, and started my gym days about 18 months ago with the above and some isolation moves like curls and whatnot, and a little bit of cardio. I lost several cm off my waist within a month and almost instantly saw a change in my physique. Having kept it up for 18 months I feel good, look good (gone down 2 jeans sizes without even thinking about my diet) and would whole-heartedly recommend paying attention to this article.

Girls should also get in on this, although perhaps for reps rather than weight – my missus joins me in the weight room and is now the kind of toned beach Goddess I’d dreamed of! Anyone who says “but girls will get all veiny and huge” obviously has no idea whatsoever about training – see crossfit.com for evidence.

45 James January 2, 2010 at 6:01 am

I just read the top response. Obviously, nobody should walk into a weight room day one and try to do weighted pullups or max deadlifts. I think that goes without saying. However, in the long run, these are the best exercises that a man can do. I do a minimum of cardio, and do the above exercised regularly. (Crossfitters would call this a “max effort black box.” This, coupled with diet, (paleo diet,) has enabled me to drop 30 pounds, and get very strong and fit, over the course of a couple of year. Yes, once in a while I run, or surf, etc., but it’s not much. It’s mostly olympic lifts, and I am a much better man for it. It’s not the conventional wisdom, but it’s the right thing to do!

46 Chris V January 4, 2010 at 1:25 pm

A favorite of mine is to grab an axe and go drop a few trees out in the back 40 (if you’re lucky enough to have some land). Nothing like the satisfying ‘thud’ of an unwanted pine tree hitting the ground.

47 mack March 4, 2010 at 11:23 pm

This is all stuff I do! I only do compound exercises, no sissy isolation shit! Deadlifts and pushups are my two favorite exercises, but I do a good range of exercises as well. Try this: get 3 weight plates of the same weight and have the at hand.(not in your hand!) Get into a wall sit. Hold for 10-30 seconds then add 1 weight plate. Hold again and continue to add plates in a controlled manner. Once all plates are on legs, remove in a likewise manner. Try for 4-5 sets and your squatting muscles will take a huge beating. Then do 60-100 bodyweight squats and you will have a killer workout. You may want to increase the reps of squats if you are exceptionally strong.

48 t. chote April 2, 2010 at 3:11 pm

careful on the deadlifts my friends. they’re great, best single thing you can do; no question. though improper form and heavy weight is a recipe for disaster and once you have back problems they can haunt you forever; be careful and don’t get a big head. try not to go above what you can do for 3-5 reps with good form to leave yourself some room for error. trust me.

49 David April 8, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Dead lifts, squats, and military press. Probably the three most effective exercises for their respective muscle groups; unfortunately, also the most dangerous. After over 13 years of lifting I have eliminated all three as the risk of injury versus the benefit is just way too high. I’ve not met an experienced lifter who has used these three exercises as staples that has not ultimately suffered injury from one or even all three, multiple times, including myself. In my opinion, they simply are not worth it.

I have replaced dead lifts and squats with leg press (from which I have never sustained injury nor known anyone who has), and actually get better results. I experimented with hack squats and smith machine squats but the strain on the knees was just too great – the movement does not feel natural at all.

I only do compound exercises where possible. It took me years to get over the addiction to “pump” and to finally realize that “definition” ultimately comes from low body fat percentage (and to some extent – proper form), not from isolation movements. I feel bad for guys at the gym sitting around 12-15% body fat wasting hours doing every isolation exercise they can think of and wondering why they aren’t ripped yet. Diminishing returns from multiple sets and exercises, are, in my experience, far greater than anyone will admit due to their addiction to “pump”, which is nothing more than temporary inflammation of the muscle. Consequently I see very little (if any) benefit in isolation movements unless you’re a bodybuilder and need that extra 2% edge or have a plateau or stubborn muscle group. Even then many early bodybuilders were successful with mostly compound exercises (i.e. Dorian Yates).

That being said, I haven’t found a compound movement to replace military press. I’ve eliminated it, including the dumbbell variation after both me and two of my workout partner sustained multiple injuries and have enough scar tissue around the rotator cuff that a arm rotation looks so choppy it’s comical. Not to mention my father, who now has both his shoulders held in with pins and rubber bands

50 ivan April 22, 2010 at 11:35 am

Bench, deadlift, squat.

51 Raimondo Harrell January 9, 2014 at 9:41 pm

My name is Raimondo Harrell. I started out weight training like most novices performing exercises like curls, benchpresses etc. Over time, through research of my own and watching myself work ultra hard @ these exercises with little to no growth (in strenght, mass or definition) I learned the hard way that compound movements, like squats, deadlifts, military press, and compund rowing were the way to go. An inspiring older man taught me taught me not only the importance but how to deadlift, squat, and perform military presses properly. It wasn’t until then that I experienced phenominal growth and strenght gains. Squats is not just a leg exercise; infact, it the exercise itself has very little to do with leg isolation (as opposed to lunges and leg presses). Squats are a total body exercise that places tremendous eustress (good stress) on the entire nervouse system as well. It forces two hormones (testosterone and human growth hormone) to be activated into the bloodstream; therefore, forcing the muscles to under go changes in order to bear the stress that the weight is placing on the body. This in turn gets the body used to pushing the hormones into the bloodstream more freely when you lift an object. This is how the body gets stronger. Not only that these hormones build the muscles, strenghten the bones and joints preparing the body for more work even when there is no work to be performed. So you have more free floating testosterone and human growth hormone floating around waiting to do work. This is how the body grows and gets stronger. This week I tried something new. I performed after warmup sets of 315 pounds for 5 reps each along with leg presses, extentions and curls, and lunges. The I turned around and performed deadlifts. I performed a warmup set of 225 pounds for 10 reps. Then I performed 315 for a set of 7 reps and then a set of 5 reps. Then I placed 345 pounds on the bar and performed 2 sets of 10 reps each. I know this is not much and I can perform @ a much higher level on both. I stopped here cause my workout partner wanted to stop there, and besides I deadlift twice a week along with bent barbell rows and powerclings all in the same day and I’m 40 years old and don’t plan on quitting or slowing down anytime soon. on other days I perform t-bar rows (4-5) plates, pullups(weighted and unweighted), dips (25/set weighted 20 / set unweighted), chest pullovers (80-90 pound dumbell), compound rowing and latpulldowns (front and back). I’m not bragging, but I think That I’m doing pretty good for my age and there is no quit in me, and I love working out with someone who challenges me to push myself past plateaus. That’s my story. Weight training, running and other types of cardio and workouts are what keep me going. As I said earlier, I’m 40 years old and my children are adults now its time for me to take care of me. I think that we as men/fathers should always stay in good physical as well as mental shape cause we (men around my age) are the”last of the mohichans”, if you will. We have to be warriors for our children now a days cause it seems that there has been a “shift” in male thinking, which preludes our youth to believe that working out and taking care of yourself is a waste of time or they believe that it “is not cool”, So they do things that they belive is cool, which is leading out young men and women to destruction @ such an early age. Men, let’s get plugged in and get our sons in the gym with us. Not only for lookin good and better self-confidence, but training of the mindset as well. For me weighttraining and workingout relieves stress, makes me more disciplined and it helps me to be more patient. The stronger you are physically often leads to more mental strenght as well. Love Everyone and best wishes!!!!

52 Aqiyl Aniys February 15, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Wow! I just went to a sports equipment store and a friend and I were looking a weighed bags like the ones in the Sandbag clean video. I wonder of this is telling us something?