Between 1991 and 1996, Jim and Jamie Dutcher lived with and filmed a pack of wolves in Idaho. From this intensive field work came the award-winning documentary, Wolves at Our Door. The husband and wife team are out with a new book that highlights some of the things they learned on living a flourishing life from the wolf pack they were embedded within. It’s called The Wisdom of Wolves: Lessons from the Sawtooth Pack.
Jim and Jamie share what wolves can teach us about family, respecting your elders, play, the importance of belonging to a group, leadership, and what it really means to be an alpha wolf. Tune in for a fascinating conversation on a fascinating creature that has much to teach us humans.
- How Jim and Jamie ended up spending time studying wolves
- Why research on wolves needs to be conducted in captivity
- How earlier studies on wolves ended up being somewhat misleading
- Why the term “alpha” is a misconception
- Other misconceptions about social hierarchies in wolf packs
- Why being a “lone wolf” is a very temporary situation
- Are wolf pack leaders domineering and aggressive?
- What’s the role of the “omega” wolf?
- How wolf personalities manifest in packs
- How the pups of a pack were reared
- The importance of play and why wolves play so much
- The culture of learning in wolf packs
- How wolves care for the elderly of their pack
- Why do wolves howl at the moon?
- What happens when wolf packs encounter one another?
- The relationship between wolves and ravens
- What happened to the Sawtooth Pack after the Dutchers finished their study?
- How wolves respond to the death of a pack member
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- How to Really Be Alpha Like the Wolf
- The Myth of the Alpha Male
- Wolves at Our Door
- Play It Away
- The Importance of Roughhousing With Your Kids
- AoM series on status
Connect With the Dutchers
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
The Great Courses Plus. Better yourself this year by learning new things. I’m doing that by watching and listening to The Great Courses Plus. Get one month free by visiting thegreatcoursesplus.com/manliness.
Recorded with ClearCast.io.
Read the Transcript