Summer Grilling Week: How to Grill a Burger [VIDEO]

by Brett on June 28, 2013 · 24 Comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure, Visual Guides

Welcome back to Summer Grilling Week on Art of Manliness!

In today’s video, award-winning BBQ chef, Karl Engel, shows us how to grill the perfect burger.

We hope you enjoyed this series of videos this week. We’ll be working with Karl to produce even more videos on grilling and smoking in the future.

If you haven’t already, please consider Subscribing to our YouTube channel to get all our videos as soon as they’re published.

1 Sean June 28, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Your mustache is legendary.

2 Chris June 28, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Good tip about the dip in the middle. I’ll have to try that.
One thing I learned from my dad was giving them a splash or two of Worchestire Sauce when they’re on the grill instead of using rubs or seasonings. Accents the flavor of the beef very nicely and keeps them nice and juicy.

3 Joey E June 29, 2013 at 6:55 am

Thanks to Art of Manliness, my kids say I make the best burgers of any person or restaurant. I had been following the original blog post, but this video (& series) has given me more knowledge.

Thanks for making me a “hero” to my kids!

4 Jorge June 29, 2013 at 8:14 am

Wasn’t sure from the video, but what sort of salt did you all use? Looked a little bit larger than kosher we typically use.

Burgers look like they’re sitting in that medium to medium-high zone on the grill?

These videos are tempting me to go out and purchase a grill right now.

5 Wasim June 29, 2013 at 10:30 am

What about ketchup, mustard, onions, lettuce, etc.?

6 smoothreentry June 29, 2013 at 10:48 am

Great video! I will have to try the olive oil.

I love it when Art of Manilness reinforces things I do. It give me more confidence in what I am doing.

One thing: Did he touch pepper shaker after touching meat? That makes me wonder if I am too paranoid. I wash my hands 50 times while cooking…

7 rocko June 29, 2013 at 12:59 pm

thanks for the tips! do you season both sides of the burger before laying it on, or just the top side?

8 Woody June 29, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Thanks for the entire series. Just bought a Weber Genesis gas grill and am getting started grilling after about a ten year hiatus. Series has been a great refresher!

9 Jared June 30, 2013 at 11:02 am

I pretty much do the same thing, but I use Worcestershire instead of olive oil. Compliments, but doesn’t overwhelm, and helps keep them juicy.

10 Mark June 30, 2013 at 3:00 pm

This is great! Just how I like to see burgers cooked. I would add though, that if you are cooking grass fed beef, you want to start out low and slow, then pull them off just before done, crank up the heat, and throw them back on for the grill marks and carmelization. That is a trick that I have learned from a couple of ranchers.

11 Jimmy June 30, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Karl, I’m with you on this one. Can’t stand unmelted cheese when cooking burgers.

12 Ted July 1, 2013 at 2:09 am

Nice tip with the indent in the middle. Been BBQing every day this past week. I love summer. Thanks!

13 tim_lebsack July 1, 2013 at 11:17 am

Proof of Manliness – “I don’t need to watch a burger grilling video!”
More Proof of Manliness – “I was wrong. Excellent video. Thanks.”

14 Tim Robertson July 1, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Fairly new at this and have had good success on my charcoal Weber grill. I’ll have to try the olive oil and kosher salt. One thing that gave me confidence in the very beginning was using a meat thermometer to make sure I got 160 degrees for a fully cooked, medium-well burger. I just used a test burger for the reading. I also figured out how to grill sliced squash, onions, etc. with olive oil and some light herbs in a grill pan, which makes a great side for those cheeseburgers.

15 Mario July 1, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I use the olive oil version of pam to spray the burgers before adding the salt and pepper. Spray the grill too.

16 Paul July 1, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I love the idea of olive oil. I always mean to use it and always forget. And yea, melt that damn cheese.

17 Tom July 2, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Lovin these posts. Thanks Karl. People always love over complicating the grilling process and over-seasoning the meat to where you can’t even taste it. This is the way to do it!

18 Cody July 3, 2013 at 7:47 am

As much as I agree with keeping it simple with seasoning, Olive oil is a terrible idea. It has a really low smoke point. At this high of temperature, it burns almost instantly and imparts a bitter taste. At an 80/20 ratio, there should be enough fat to keep the burger from sticking once it has started to sear.
If you’re still afraid of sticking, you should use something like grapeseed oil which has a very high smoke point and wont burn and give a bitter flavour.

19 Miles July 3, 2013 at 9:16 am

I tried this last night with the indentation and the olive oil… It was perfect and the fluffy pillows were nowhere to be found. Thanks for this series!

20 Nick Mongo July 9, 2013 at 4:58 pm

When is the Veggie one coming out?! I’ve already done the burgers…can you say AWESOME?

21 Joel July 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm

What is the obsession with grill marks? You want the meat an even brown sear, not carbonized! Way overrated – just for superficial show.

As for cooking the burger all the way through? An over-abundance of caution as a CYA, IMHO. Think pink.

22 Chris Dunning July 15, 2013 at 10:49 am

I agree with almost everything. Though I want to contest the “don’t mix anything in” bit. I grind my own beef at home, and I like to mix blue cheese crumbles in with the burger. I wouldn’t ever add bread crumbs to a beef burger (though you almost have to with turkey or chicken burgers) and onion is better caramelized or completely raw, but blue cheese in home-ground beef burgers is always a good choice in my book.

23 Terry July 18, 2013 at 11:30 am

Great advice on buying, prepping and seasoning the patties. Personally, I prefer the low and slow grilling method with a sear at the end. Makes for juicier meat, still have decent grill marks.

80/20 doesn’t need any oil to prevent sticking, but some high temp oils are good for flavor.

Top with soy marinated grilled pineapple and thick teriyaki splash for a nice flavor kick!

24 Garrett August 12, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Man this makes me hungry.