AoM Month of Sandwiches Day #4: Southwest Breakfast Sandwich

by Jeremy Anderberg on April 4, 2013 · 16 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

IMG_0867

Welcome to Day #4 of the AoM sandwich project. Last month we asked readers for their best sandwich recommendations. Out of 483 submissions, we picked 20 to highlight here on the site each weekday during the month of April. At the end, we’ll publish all the entries into an epic man-sandwich cookbook. Enjoy.

Today’s Sandwich: The Southwest Breakfast Sandwich by Matt

Matt didn’t name his sandwich, but based on the ingredients, I figured The Southwest Breakfast Sandwich seemed about right. I love breakfast; who doesn’t, right? So I had to pick a couple of breakfast sandwiches from the list. Bacon, egg, and cheese on a muffin is pretty standard, but mix it up with pepper jack and throw salsa on top, and you got yourself a potential superstar.

Ingredients

IMG_0858

• Bacon (not specified, but I used just two strips)
  • Egg (fried – over-hard was Matt’s preference)
  • Pepper jack cheese
  • Salsa
  • English muffin

Step 1: Fry Bacon

IMG_0860

The best part of waking up…is bacon in your skillet.

Step 2: Fry Egg in Bacon Grease

IMG_0862

It’s a little messy. I’m still not very good at cracking eggs.

Step 3: Toast Muffin and Slice Cheese

While the egg was frying I sliced the pepper jack and toasted the English muffin. Could have just bought slices, but slicing up a high-quality block is always better.

Step 4: Start Assembly

IMG_0863

Matt didn’t specify assembly, so I freestyled it and went with cheese on the bottom.

Step 5: Add the Egg

IMG_0864

Egg next so that the cheese could melt between the toasted muffin and hot egg. I actually split the egg in half it would be more manageable as a sandwich. I didn’t want to have to use a fork.

Step 6: Add the Bacon

IMG_0865

I split both bacon strips in half and gave one strip to each sandwich. Turned out to be the perfect amount.

Step 7: Top with Salsa

IMG_0866

The wrinkles of the bacon perfectly held in the salsa so as not to make a giant mess. I used a medium, moderately-chunky salsa, but that’s just my preference.

Step 8: Devour

IMG_0868

A delicious open-faced southwest breakfast sandwich. Superb!

Taster’s Thoughts

This sandwich was simply phenomenal. I love a good breakfast sandwich, and these small upgrades kicked it up more than a few notches. The spiciness of the pepper jack cheese was perfect, and the salsa actually added some sweetness, too. The crispy, crunchy bacon was balanced perfectly by the meltiness of the cheese and the juiciness of the salsa. This is a sandwich I will put into my repertoire, and I can see this becoming a weekend morning staple.

1 Tim Metcalf April 4, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Looks like a great sandwich! I suggest that you also look at the “Tim McMuffin” sandwich in the “Art of Manliness” cookbook.

2 Rusty April 4, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Looks good! I would make one change however. Put it in the broiler before adding the salsa to melt the cheese better.

3 Rob Wright April 4, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Instead of salsa, add green chili and replace the bacon with chorizo. Now that would be a southwest sandwich.

4 Brent April 4, 2013 at 10:33 pm

How about Sweet ‘n Tangy Egg ‘n Bacon Muffin? Saying this as a friend from New Mexico (Red or Green?), adding salsa does not a southwestern sammich make; Rob has a good point. I’d still keep the bacon though ;)

5 Paul April 4, 2013 at 10:38 pm

For the English muffin, I would use an Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted whole grain English muffin.

6 Andrew April 5, 2013 at 3:30 am

Wow. That looks delicious. Can’t wait to make one.

7 Casey April 5, 2013 at 8:58 am

Will the cookbook just be the twenty sandwiches or ALL entries? It would be awesome if it did include all entries… I don’t eat sandwiches often, but these things rock

8 Matt April 5, 2013 at 10:10 am

Awww you’re killing me!!! I just went Primal a week ago… I can’t eat bread..

9 Jackson April 5, 2013 at 11:18 am

I’m saddened that the accoutrements were not fried in a cast iron skillet.

10 Seth April 5, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Nice! Might have to try this one out. As a life-long southwesterner though, I gotta tell you, the real southwestern breakfast sandwich is a breakfast burrito.

11 Max Power April 5, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Sounds like another home run. I might substitute a little Sriracha for the salsa. I think English Muffins have a sandwich size version that might be worth looking for. You can also fry them in butter instead of toasting them if you want to get all hard core about it.

12 Erik April 5, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I make a similar sandwich several mornings before work, except that I cook everything using the microwave. Eggs (2) are about 1.5min and bacon is about 6min. It’s super easy if you cook the eggs in a small bowel, with a little milk, as they come out the perfect size for a sandwich. With almost no clean up, no prep time, and no almost no hands on time while it’s being microwaved – it’s perfect for a tasty breakfast in a pinch of time…

13 Brett McKay April 6, 2013 at 2:13 pm

@Casey

The cookbook will have all the recipes submitted (minus repeats and stuff), not just the ones we feature on the site this month.

14 Will April 13, 2013 at 10:27 am

Agree with Max Power (good name) about the sandwich-sized English Muffins. I’d also cook the egg over medium, so the yolk would spill out when you bite into it. Finally, grating the cheese rather than slicing it would allow for better meltage.

Looks yummy–I may give this a try tomorrow morning!

15 bierluvre April 14, 2013 at 9:09 am

This can’t fail, looks awesome.

16 Tony May 14, 2013 at 5:50 am