How to Tie a Four-in-Hand Necktie Knot: Your 60 Second Visual Guide

by Brett & Kate McKay on March 14, 2012 · 123 Comments

in Accessories, Dress & Grooming, Visual Guides

Start with narrow side nearly to the waist. Cross wide side over.  Cross the wide side underneath the narrow side. Cross over the narrow side again; bring wide side up under chin.  Push wide side into loop made from crosses.  Tighten and straighten your tie. Pinch tie under know (optional). The four-in-hand is a simple and easy tie knot that works well for thinner ties with traditional patterns, and pairs best with dress shirts that have narrow spread and button down collars.

If you liked this visual guide, let us know, and we’ll do some for the more “sophisticated” knots as well!

101 Scott Sideleau March 22, 2012 at 10:52 am

Personally, I would love to see more options illustrated. My dilemma is that I’m pretty big (6′ 4″ with 20″ neck and 54″ chest), so I find that the knot sized produced by the four-in-hand is too small (relative to the rest of me) when I adjust the tie length to reach my belt. As such, my go-to is the Half-Windsor Knot, which I guess makes me only half-trusted by Agent 007 when donning a tie.

102 Kegan March 22, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Amazing! Please post more visual guides. This is the easiest way I’ve ever learned a knot. Took me just a couple tries to get it, and that’s a skill every man should have.

103 Erik Andersen March 22, 2012 at 10:39 pm

These visual guides you have been making are great! They are rather helpful and the classic feel of them doesn’t make me feel like a buffoon for having to look these skills up.

104 Tim March 23, 2012 at 9:44 am

It would be easier for me if the guide were drawn from the perspective of the person tying the knot. Especially if it gets more complicated.

The belt would be at the top, the collar at the bottom.

105 GJD March 24, 2012 at 12:01 am

@Ian Yes, you can buy longer ties, but you might not see as much selection. I know Brooks Brothers carries them.

106 Jerry Hammell March 25, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I prefer the double winsor

107 Alex Spaulding March 26, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Great piece. Pivotal for those not well versed in the many knots. Definetley need to see more of these.

108 Josh March 27, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Yes please – more guides! I only know how to do one knot myself.

109 Levi March 27, 2012 at 8:07 pm

i’d love to see more tie options and more visual guides in general! they’re great! thanks

110 Chris March 27, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I agree about the half-windsor. I would really like to see an article about that. I have been doing them for 20+ years but I always have to redo them so not I am leaving my ties in knotted form I can put on and not have to do 3 times to get the length right.

111 Chris March 27, 2012 at 10:34 pm

oops, I meant so now I am….

112 Stephen Wood March 28, 2012 at 2:53 am

I have tried several times using this guide and failed. I am convinced there is a cell missing from this how-to!

113 Justin March 28, 2012 at 4:38 am

I still believe the Full Windsor is the only acceptable knot for a tie.

114 JB March 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

Loved this visual guide. I’m an expert on this knot already though, since this is the only one I know.

I’d appreciate other pictorial guides since I definitely need to expand my knot repertoire!

115 Gerardo April 4, 2012 at 3:36 pm

the full windsor is the ultimate tie-knot, although the four in hand is a good choice depending on the tie and shirt. In my experience once you learn the full windsor all the other tie knots are really easy to figure out.

I´d like to see a guide on how to do the full windsor and the bow-tie knot. Thank you.

116 Pablo April 6, 2012 at 9:47 pm

How about tying a bow tie? Old school

117 Michael April 10, 2012 at 8:48 am

This is great! Much more comprehensive than many how-tos I’ve seen on Tie Tying. Keep making ‘em!

118 ashley September 21, 2012 at 9:42 am

good visual need more options tho…

119 Jim Z. October 1, 2012 at 9:55 am

Yes, Yes, Yes, (at the risk of sounding like Sally in “when Harry met Sally”) YES. Please have more illustrated guides. They are great for teaching our sons how to tie proper knots!

120 Rahul May 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I am not sure if this problem is with me alone or someone else faces it. the problem is when I try to print any article the images do not appear. You can imagine how would an illustrated guide look like without illustrations.

Cheers.

121 Lenard Longin December 8, 2013 at 1:54 am

Creating cool blog is not harder than creating good information. But you know that you done both quite well. Thank man.

122 Melissa January 7, 2014 at 8:47 am

Talk about a lifesaver! My son needed a tie for school (because the basketball players have to wear one on game days) and of course there was no one in the whole neighborhood to show us how to knot his tie (everyone had left for the day). But thank you so much, he will be able to play today. Great illustrations! We had it licked in less than five minutes; and now my 13 year old knows how to tie his own tie! Can’t wait for him to try some of your other “tricks” and he will certainly do well with his MANLINESS :)
Happy New Year