A Man’s Guide to Sweaters

by Antonio on September 30, 2010 · 47 comments

in Dress & Grooming, Style

A quality sweater that properly fits is one of the most flattering garments a man can wear.  It adds weight to a skinny physique and streamlines a large figure. Functionally it keeps you warm while style wise it can break up the monotonous wearing of dress shirts and slacks to the office. Yet most men know little about sweaters and even fewer take full advantage of all the styles and patterns available.  This article will give you a strong understanding of sweater fabrics, fit, and style; the goal being not to change you, but rather expose you to options you might not have considered so you can dress in a manner that best reflects your individuality.

Part 1 – Sweater Fabrics

Sweater Fabric Types

Cashmere Sweaters – The gold standard of sweaters, a pure cashmere sweater can cost hundreds of dollars due to the scarcity of the long downy Kashmir goat hair from which it draws its name.  Warm and light as a feather, a cashmere sweater is a substantial investment for any man.  My advice when purchasing a cashmere sweater is to ensure 1) it fits perfectly 2) you have occasion to wear it at least four times a year 3) it is of a simple, timeless, dark color and 4) you buy it from a reputable merchant (counterfeit sweaters are a poor investment).  Cry once about the price, then wear it every chance you get and feel like a million dollars.  If you take care of your cashmere sweater you should get 200+ wears out of it over 10 years.

Wool Sweaters – The oldest and most common quality sweater fabric, wool is the traditional favorite when it comes to looks and function.  Wool knitted clothing was historically the clothing of common laborers in rural England; today its proven ability to retain heat, fine hand, and history make it a favorite of men all over the world.  Wool sweaters do, however, require great care as they are very susceptible to damage from heat and rough handling, especially when wet (wool loses 30% of its strength when soaked).

Cable Knit Cartigan

Cotton Sweaters – Sweaters made from cotton fabric (all other factors being equal) are going to be cooler than either their wool or cashmere brethren as their cellulose foundation sheds heat faster.  This isn’t a bad thing – sometimes you want a cooler sweater and cotton sweaters can be worn directly on the skin with no irritation.  Also, the use of cotton has helped to drive down sweater costs.

Synthetic Fabric Sweaters – In line with cotton, the big advantage of synthetic fabrics is that they have driven down the cost of these garments.  Depending on the type of fabric being used, a synthetic fabric sweater can mimic the properties of wool or cotton, oftentimes without the problems of having to take special care of the garment when it comes to washing and handling.  Be careful though when purchasing a synthetic fabric sweater – it will in most cases be of a lower quality than its wool/cashmere fiber counterpart.

Blended Fabric Sweaters – Oftentimes you’ll see a sweater made from two or more fabrics; the reason most manufacturers do this is 1) to save money and 2) to increase performance and desired performance properties.  This cost savings is often seen with cashmere blends, as a company can call their sweater a “cashmere” sweater when in reality a large part of the sweater is made from less expensive wool or synthetic fibers.  Neither bad nor good, this is simply a case where the consumer should learn to read labels and understand that oftentimes you get what you pay for.  The second part, increasing performance/desired properties, is why I consider this practice acceptable.  Simply put, by mixing in other fibers a sweater manufacturer can create a garment that fits and performs even better than a pure fabric garment.

Sweater Color

Sweater color affects the situations in which a sweater can be worn.  Darker colors are typically seen as more formal and conservative, although light colored sweaters are more acceptable in the spring and summer months.  Brighter colors, due to the fact they draw attention to the wearer, are less formal but can be great for casual wear and giving the impression of not taking oneself too seriously.  Extremely bright colors are best avoided unless you are a performer or highway worker.

Sweater Pattern

argyle sweater mens

Simple solids are the most formal, with patterns, whether woven in or stitched, making the garment more casual.  Argyle is one of the most popular sweater patterns seen on men in the winter months; it’s visually distinctive thanks to its lines and colors. The trick to wearing an argyle sweater successfully is to understand that the sweater’s pattern will be the center of your outfit.  Match it with simple items that do not compete with it; also, be aware it will be remembered and should only be worn a couple times a month.  Personally, I prefer to wear these sweaters a bit closer fitting to the body under a simple sport jacket.  Sportswear sweaters and jerseys, with their unique pattern identifiers, make these types of sweaters casual by affiliation.  Great for wear with jeans and suede bucks – not for a suit. For advanced sweater pattern wearing, look here.

Sweater Weave

Sweater weave affects the heat retaining properties, fit, and level of formality of a sweater.  Typically heavy rib patterns will make a sweater thicker, increasing its ability to keep you warm and enabling a former fit.  Plain woven sweaters are going to be less elastic, slightly cooler, but the more delicate look gives them a more professional appearance.

Part 2 – Sweater Fit

A $500 cashmere sweater will look comical if it’s too small; if it’s too big it will look like a hand-me-down from your big brother.  What is the key to finding a good fit?  Learn which brands suit you best, and stick with them.  Every clothing brand uses different models that they build their clothing off of – you want to find the line that uses a person who most resembles your body’s build.  A large sweater made by Calvin Klein is very different than a large found at Wal-Mart – high end designers make their clothing to fit one in ten men (fit less, but for those lucky few a great fit) – larger manufacturers build their clothing lines to fit most men (thus poorly fit all).  Custom sweaters are an option for those willing to pay a bit more.

Altering sweaters is a mixed bag – less expensive sweaters often have parts that are sewn and can be slightly altered.  Occasionally you’ll find a master stitcher who can even rebuild parts of the garment for a reasonable price.  Many times though the alterations needed are beyond the skill set of an average seamstress and most skilled tailors will not touch this specialty work.   My advice is to make sure the sweater fits at the onset or if you’re adventurous, try this method yourself (minus the flower).

Sweaters can be paired with pants....or a kilt.

Part 3 – Sweater Style

Men’s Turtleneck Sweaters – A dark colored, well-fitted quality turtleneck sweater should be a staple in every man’s wardrobe; paired with dark trousers it will make almost any man look leaner, taller, and more stylish.  It can be worn with a suit, with a sports jacket, or simply by itself.  Adopted by creative professionals, it nonetheless is at home on a submarine or the streets of San Francisco.

McQueen Turtleneck

All the proof you need to wear a Turtleneck Sweater

Men’s V-neck Sweaters – As the sweater’s name indicates, the distinguishing feature of this style is the low cut “V” neckline.  A perfect compliment for a button-down collar dress shirt (with or without a tie), the “V” line cut helps draw attention to the face and creates a leaner profile illusion.  This style has been successfully worn by a wide variety of men, from Rock Hudson to Albert Einstein, and is safe for wear in most business settings, assuming the sweater’s fabric is solid.   Be careful though of designer V-neck sweaters that attempt to stand out by cutting the V too low – after more than a few inches, the lines start to have an effeminate look and are best avoided.

Mens V-neck sweater

Men’s Crew Neck Sweaters – Of all the sweater styles, the crew neck sweater is the most dominant in terms of what it reveals of the clothing underneath – which is next to nothing.  The advantage here is what you wear underneath, as long as it cannot be seen, is inconsequential.  That is until you need to remove the sweater.  Again, the button down collar is a natural compliment to this sweater (although most of it will be covered).  Being the most common style on the market, you should pay special attention to the fabric type to ensure the sweater performs as you’d like it to.

A WWII inspired pull-over makes a handsome choice for casual wear.

Men’s Polo Sweaters – A casual sweater that eliminates the need to wear a dress shirt underneath, it looks best when paired with a sports jacket.  Good fit is paramount with this style, and it can be worn tucked into the trousers.

Men’s Cardigan (Zip & Button Down) Sweaters – One of the most versatile and underused sweaters in a man’s wardrobe, they have a stigma of being an “old man’s sweater.”  Nothing could be further from the truth – cardigans compliment men of all ages, whether worn over a dress shirt, layered under a sport jacket, or matched with a suit.  They are simple to remove and put back on, and are the only sweater type to incorporate a pocket.

Men’s Aran Sweaters – An Irish original, an authentic Aran sweater is a work of art with a weave that declares the wearer’s clan and history.  The story goes that these sweaters originally served the dual purpose of keeping a man warm on the open ocean and enabling identification if he was thrown overboard and drowned.  Today, they are still made by hand on the Emerald Isle, with each sweater requiring approximately 100,000 stitches!  Aran sweaters are best worn over clothing rather than under a sport jacket.

Murphy Oneil

Which is Murphy....Which is O'neil?

Men’s Sweater Vests – Sweater vests are most at home when worn with a suit or sport jacket/odd trouser combination, and they do not have to match the clothing but should rather compliment the trousers and/or jacket.  An athletic built man confident in his own personal style can wear one with slacks or quality denim and a dress shirt, where it can give him a more streamlined look by eliminating the contrast between the shirt and pants.

Written by
Antonio Centeno
President, A Tailored Suit
Articles on Men’s Suits – Dress Shirts – Sport Jackets
Join our Facebook Page & Win Custom Clothing

1 Ian Van Sice September 30, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Excellent post. I’m a big fan of the sweater. The variety you can gain from just a few carefully chosen sweaters can add depth and vibrancy to a wardrobe.

2 Native Son September 30, 2010 at 11:42 pm

I like sweaters. A minor quibble.
1. It’s a “Cardigan”, not a “Cartigan”. Named after the 7th Earl of Cardigan, commander of the Light Brigade in the Crimean War.

3 Antonio September 30, 2010 at 11:56 pm

@Ian – Thank you sir!

@Native Son – Thanks for catching that – FIXED!

4 Sam October 1, 2010 at 12:02 am

Great article! I’ve only recently started to wear sweaters and sweater vests to lend a bit of variety to my work attire (I’m a teacher) and this couldn’t be more helpful.

Does anyone know where on the Internet can I buy sweaters, turtlenecks, cardigans etc. made from 100% cotton? I have a slight allergy towards wool and I only have two cotton items. Right now I have to bear with synthetic fibers but I reckon cotton is cooler. Thanks

5 Nate Finch October 1, 2010 at 12:25 am

You forgot the best place to buy sweaters – thrift stores! There’s always so many to choose from, you’re bound to find one (or many) that work for you. I went from having none to having almost too many. Fine wool sweaters? $5. Fine cashmere sweaters? $5. Sporty cotton sweaters? $5.

I have a large variety… often times I’ll wear one just over a white cotton undershirt like the V-neck guy up there. The problem I find with wearing dress shirts underneath, is that if the sweater fits well, the shirt crumples weirdly. Maybe with a well fitted shirt, it wouldn’t be a problem, but those are hard for me to find.

6 Gary Venema October 1, 2010 at 4:35 am

Even though he’s passed away, using Steve McQueen is quite the endorsement for sweater use.

7 Josh October 1, 2010 at 7:25 am

What? No mention of the Cosby sweater?

8 KFM October 1, 2010 at 8:04 am

My grandmother brought me back an Aran Island sweater after a trip to Ireland five years ago. I can easily say it is the best article of clothing I have in my wardrobe.

9 Elena October 1, 2010 at 9:33 am

I have heard that mixed-fibre sweaters are more likely to “pill” than pure sweaters— the reasoning being that the fibres of different lengths pull against each other when moved (when the sweater is worn) and the little fuzzballs develop in higher-friction areas like beneath the arms.

Has anyone else heard this? Could someone confirm or bust this myth?

10 John Heaney October 1, 2010 at 9:34 am

Terrific and thorough compilation of all the sweater options available. Very well done. I have one minor editing note: on four occasions in the post, you used the word “compliment” when you actually meant “complement”. The meanings of the two are quite different.
Keep up the excellent work.

11 RJ from Peter Pan Fan Club October 1, 2010 at 10:25 am

I thought this article was great. Helpful, informative and thorough. I have one question. I’m prone to sweating and I know you said cotton sweaters hold less heat than cashmere and wool, do you have any other suggestions for guys who sweat through a long sleeve shirt in January, let alone a sweater?

Thanks again!

12 Chris October 1, 2010 at 10:26 am

I have worn sweaters for about 15 years throughout the fall and winter months because they look good and are easy to take care of. You can pretty well put anything on under a wool sweater and go for the day.

Last year, I finally picked up a wool sweater vest from Macy’s and I love it. It’s lightweight wool, so it works great for indoors, where it’s warm, but it’s warm enough to run outside for a minute or two between the car and the office. They look good, too.

I’m wearing one today for the first time this fall and I’ve had 3 comments on it already. I get comments EVERY time I wear one, whether it’s with jeans or nice pants. That ladies always ask if I’m going to a meeting and the guys like to give me grief about looking “Ivy League.” Basically, the ladies are telling me I look good and the guys are jealous, since I haven’t had a single person say, “Man, that looks stupid.”

I say pick up at least one sweater vest and wear it often. You will be amazed at the outcome. As for sweaters, I still have those, too, but they’re for colder months. :)

13 Cameron T. October 1, 2010 at 10:27 am

I live in Texas, so “sweater weather” is non-existent here. Never really liked the things, anyway; always found them itchy and hot.

14 Tom October 1, 2010 at 10:59 am

For a long time I’ve wanted a massive rib-knit wool sweater and finally forked over for one. The Tyne from Barbour. Bought it online from BestGear.com, and it’s even more massive than it looks on the website. Too warm yet to wear it yet; I’m really looking forward to the cooler weather. I’ll have to review it on my site after I’ve given it a good run.

15 B October 1, 2010 at 12:13 pm

With a v-neck sweater (assuming I’m not wearing a tie), would you recommend wearing a shirt with a button-down collar or regular flat collar?

16 Chris Kavanaugh October 1, 2010 at 1:21 pm

“EETS A SWEATER!”- El Wopo from THE THREE AMIGOS!
The Aran sweater I.D. nonsence is marketing myth along the same lines as scottish clan tartans. The main commercial seller has clan patterns for families ded center in Ireland who’s nearest contact with water is tea.
A sweater size can be easilly altered slightly by reblocking when wet after washing. It’s a simple matter of gently stretching the knit. It’s not a bad idea to make a pattern on butcher’s paper while dry and correct as point of reference.
Synthetic fibres are asking for life threatening burns in an accident. I refer readers to the new building in las Vegas that acts as mirror and has singed hair and melted synthetic articles on the ground.

17 Paul October 1, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I live in Arizona and haven’t had the need for a sweater in nearly 20 years, but I truly do miss them. My grandmother could knit an Aran sweater while simultaneously watching TV, smoking a cigarette and sipping a gin-and-tonic. She was born in England in 1906 and literally grew up knitting as it was required in school. As a little girl she knitted wool socks for British soldiers during WW1. I grew up wearing her beautiful sweaters and still have a collection of incredible, hand-knit sweaters that she made for me carefully stored in a sealed plastic container. I have only daughters, no sons, so I guess one day those one-of-a-kind sweaters will belong to a son-in-law and I hope he’ll appreciate the skill and love that went into making them. My grandmother knitted sweaters until the day she died at 82 years old. Cigarettes, gin and knitting added up to a long life for her!

18 William Thomassen October 1, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Lovely stuff…. both text and sweaters. In Denmark we have “Island sweaters”, very hefty knitted, in al kind of patterns. High necks… and to be used out door during winther or at sea.
William Copenhagen

19 kim luoma October 1, 2010 at 8:44 pm

And the company endures!

20 Abigail October 1, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Wonderful article, I am quite fond of the sweater, and find a man wearing one well, quite fetching. But I have several quibbles with this article, as a spinner, weaver and knitter I find some of the terminology and information lacking, if not entirely wrong.

A sweater is KNIT not woven. (Although the WWII inspired sweater does appear to have an actual woven collar attached) But I do agree that the stitch pattern used will affect its ability to keep you warm, I plain knit or stockinet sweater – especially one made from a thinner yarn will be lighter and no hold as much heat in. A rib knit sweater, especially one knit with thicker wool will be thicker and stretchier, and retain more heat. But stockinet stitch is still stretchy in its own right. (An example of a stockinet sweater is the green, v-neck posted in the article, or the blue one with the kilt)

But also a sweater’s warmth is determined by the fiber content, Cashmere being the warmest, wool is also warm, another benefit of the animal fibers is that they will wick moisture away from the surface, so if you sweat it will not stay against your skin, s it would with a cotton sweater. Also, wool can absorb a large portion of its weight in water and still remain warm, cotton cannot. Another problem with cotton sweaters is that cotton is a non-elastic fiber, which means that it will stretch out, and loose its shape over time, especially if knit with a heavier yarn, the sweater that fit perfectly at breakfast may be loose and floppy by dinner.

For fit, if the sweater is of an animal fiber, it is possible to block it (within reason) to a more pleasing shape and size. Simply dampen the sweater, and lay it out flat on a mesh and pat and/or stretch it into the desired shape, most animal fibers will retain this shape until re-washed and blocked (stainless steel or fabric mesh stretched over a low frame will work, as long as there is good air flow above and below the sweater)

And I agree with a previous commenter, the Aran sweater is mostly bunk made up for the tourists and to make money, but that makes them no less beautiful and wonderful works of art and skill. And there is a bit of truth that sweaters are ideal for the seaman, because the wool can absorb so much water and still remain warm. And some sweaters were spun and knit with the lanolin sill in the wool as a way to waterproof the sweaters.

21 P.M.Lawrence October 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

Wool knitted clothing was historically the clothing of common laborers in rural England…

No, it wasn’t. Knitting was rare there until the Tudor period, and even after that it was really only used as work clothing by fishermen who needed the warmth of sweaters even though leather and woven cloth were more hard wearing.

22 Native Son October 2, 2010 at 11:11 am

@Abigail.
That’s a knock-off of the WWII US Army GI Fatigue Sweater. The original collar is a rib knit. The original GI sweater is 100% wool. and unfortunately comes in only one color…Olive Drab.

23 Thomas October 2, 2010 at 1:54 pm

@Cameron T. You’ve obviously never visited the Panhandle during winter. It can literally get freezing up here. I remember one day I was walking around the campus of Texas Tech and every fountain was frozen solid.

24 muggles October 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm

While I live in a warm climate, nothing beats a sweater for those cool winter days when a jacket or heavy coat is not usually needed.
I just got back from Paris where I made a special trip to Galleries LaFayette to look at French sweaters. They seem to do them right. After passing on the Euro 249 designer ones (quite nice but too expensive) I found what must have been a sale rack of house brand cashmere sweaters for Euro 119 (no actual signage indicating the markdowns, but limited selection). I found one in a great fit and dark color.
I will get more use from that than any other gift to commemorate my recent trip.
I saw a lot of well dressed Parisians wearing sweaters, even in fairly warm but not hot weather, in the evenings. Quite practical. Unfortunately Galleries LaFayette doesn’t have a website…

25 Chris October 2, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Bobby: I don’t think the idea of the site is to give guys a place to talk about football, farts, and beer. I think it’s to give guys a way to improve themselves by learning the ways of true gentlemen, leaders, and icons (like Grandpa.) If you want the silly stuff, just get a Maxim subscription.

26 Chris Kavanaugh October 3, 2010 at 2:30 am

Abigail,
I have an Aran and it’s not in ‘my’ family pattern. 6 years in the USCG taught me a wool sweater in cold weather is a superb garment for warmth and MOBILITY. The issue of ‘wool’ allergy hasn’t been mentioned. Very few people are truly wool fibre or lanolin sensitive. Discomfort comes from inferior and short wool fibres or adulterated mixes. Once again, one gets what one pays for. Not mentioned either are the excellent yarns from the Ande’s alpacas. A very expensive wool is being gleaned from arctic musk oxen by Quiviut of Alaska. Happily too, none of these animal products mentioned involve slaughter or cruelty. There is a large artisan community of weavers, some who maintain thier own flocks and produce the product literally from start to finish.

27 Matthew October 3, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Wool sweaters are still the choice for those laboring outside in cold climates: as Abigail says wool retains heat even when wet. I’m working the harvest at a local apple farm and picking in the rain would be a cold business without a wool sweater under my coat.

28 Gerard October 4, 2010 at 1:36 am

Extremely helpful advice for a huge sweater-fan. Thanks, Antonio!

29 Elizabeth October 4, 2010 at 10:24 am

Where are the images from? I’m curious about the origin of the first one. ‘Sirdar #1655.’ Thank you!

30 Ben October 4, 2010 at 10:52 am

The cardigan has been a staple in my wardrobe ever since Mr Rodgers showed me how awesome it is. Nothing like a beautiful day in the neighborhood…in a cardigan.

31 Beowulf87 October 5, 2010 at 2:33 am

Sorry, guys, just can’t get into this one.

32 Brian Fulton October 6, 2010 at 2:02 am

I own an Aran sweater bought when i visited the Aran Islands. Having worn it there, as well as France, Italy, Germany and the U.S, with a windproof jacket I picked up in Windsor, and a button-down shirt, you’re effectively covered against almost all weather conditions in fall. The sweater, scarf I bought with it and jacket were worth every penny.

The US GI five-button sweater (as the military generally calls it) is still available, up until 3 or 4 years ago with the adoption of the new digital pattern they were still issued and worn in brown, not OD green. I own two and wore mine on duty under body armor through 2 European winters and one Middle Eastern one and they were great. You can find them for $30-40 surplus, and I believe there’s a newer-pattern one made now as well to match the ACU, so it would probably be tan.

33 art October 8, 2010 at 8:01 am

@B: Always button down without a tie. Especially with a crew neck or shallow v sweater. An un-buttoned collar runs the risk of one point over and one under the sweater. Stiff collars also get pretty uncomfortable when there’s something right on top of them.

34 Chris Kavanaugh October 10, 2010 at 1:18 am

Billiam,
How do you use a public toilet without angst? Manhood isn’t drumming circles, mutual grooming, cutting off GeekSquad beetles in a new candy apple red Emiliano Zapata MK 2 or buying a model 29 after watching Dirty Harry.
FYI a famous private aircraft survival story involves a man transporting a friend’s collection of sweaters. he went down above the snowline and walked out, literaly wrapped from head to toe in Mr Rodgers Cardigans, Arans,turtlenecks, 5 armies and a few argylls ( splendid signalling devises with those bright, effeminate colours and all.)

35 Chris Kavanaugh October 10, 2010 at 1:30 am

Billiam, You want us to sit in drumming circles, practicing mutual grooming , getting plumber crack sunburns while talking sports and gun collections?

36 SteveO October 15, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Sam – both Lands End and LL Bean web sites have great cotton sweater selections

37 Al October 18, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Being from Ohio I find it nearly offensive to mention the sweater vest without identifying the most notorious sweater vest wearer of the 21st century, Jim Tressel. The Senator has sported this look extremely effectively for a very long time.

38 Ivy October 22, 2010 at 8:26 pm

As a (ahem, single) knitter I also feel compelled to add that befriending, dating, or marrying a knitter may grant you the opportunity to receive custom sweaters in the style, color, and fit of your choice.

Just sayin’. ;)

39 Sokhom Sar December 2, 2012 at 9:46 am

Need to know part 1 sweater fabric types m side for how much and how can i order it.

40 Mike T March 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I read comment left by some Texan saying the weather here in Texas is not sweater worthy but I dont know where he lives but I been living in Texas for 54 years and yes a Sweater is perfect for the unpredictable Texas weather.I love sweaters and my favorite sweater is the Cardigan sweater.Iam a avid hunter and the sweater is perfect for strolling in deep woods while hunting and also while fishing .Own several!!!Every color including camo! The fellow said his was itchy well get you a 100% cotton one and presto no itchy!!!

41 Johnny March 17, 2013 at 8:32 am

Nice article but that aran jumper clan thing is total nonsense, someone made that up to sell more sweaters.

42 dannie April 3, 2013 at 8:47 am

love the bit about the turtle neck, cheers!

43 Alice August 30, 2013 at 9:08 am

I’m a “newbie” to this whole sweater thing, however my wonderful husband of 25 yrs. mentioned he wanted one for this winter as it rarely gets cold here in southern California.He is a very picky person with his food, his clothing,and anything else you can think of, needless to say I have found your information very helpful…what I am looking for is a black zippered cardigan

44 Matuka September 26, 2013 at 1:52 am

Awesome post man!!! I LOVE SWEATERS :) . I have a crew neck sweater and a normal sweater maybe its like a polo sweater. they are best good winter wear.

45 Dom November 16, 2013 at 12:13 am

I can vouch for the cardigan, an amazing piece of clothing.

1. Jeans or undressy pants.
2. Suit
3. Lederhosen

Dang thing is perfect.

46 Bull December 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Question: Assuming dickies are not authorized (many thanks to Cousin Eddie*), what’s the consensus on a turtleneck under a V-neck sweater?

_____
*http://inventionoffunny.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/the-turtleneck-vs-the-dickie/

47 Ian Cooper January 15, 2014 at 4:45 pm

“…the big advantage of synthetic fabrics is that they have driven down the cost of these garments.”

This is kinda true, but it’s not that simple. What has happened is that labor has been farmed out to places like China, where people work in sweatshops for a pittance – this has driven down prices of poor quality garments, while RAISING the price of good quality products that actually work for the job they’re made to do. This is why it’s so hard to find a good quality sweater these days for under $250, while bad quality sweaters that won’t last a season can be found for $25.