The Art of Manliness Podcast Episode #5: The Cultural History of the Beard with Allan Peterkin

by Brett on October 19, 2009 · 11 comments

in Podcast

10149924

Welcome back to another episode of the Art of Manliness podcast! In this edition, we talk about the history of beards and facial hair with Allan Peterkin, author of 1000 Beards: The Cultural History of Facial Hair. Find out why popes are beardless, what psychologists have said your beard unconsciously says about you, and why politicians don’t have beards anymore.

You can buy a copy of Allan’s book from Amazon.

For excerpts of the book, check out Falcon Motorcycles.

Listen to the Podcast!

Other ways to listen to the Art of Manliness Podcast:
Listen to this episode on a separate page
Subscribe via iTunes (Join over podcast 27,000 subscribers!)

1 Gabriel October 19, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Great post – I feel so enlightened :-)

2 Utotin October 20, 2009 at 1:50 am

I enjoyed this latest podcast. I have one point of disagreement though. I have worked for major US banks for the past decade and have worn a beard for the last 3 years with no problems. In fact I have noticed that facial hair and even full beards are about as common in the banking industry as in any other walk of life.

3 Annabel Candy October 20, 2009 at 3:08 am

Hmm, unfortunatley I was taught to never trust a man with a beard! To this day I don’t really go for facial hair even though you can’t really get much manlier that a good old handle bar mustache.

Fortunately my four year old daughter shares none of my misconceptions about facial hair and is always entreating her dear papa to grow a beard so that she can “snuggle up to it.” The thought makes me shudder but each to their own taste!

4 Yavor October 20, 2009 at 3:33 am

Just found out about those podcasts – a pleasant change of pace.

Shaving done right is a lost art – most men I see walk around with a not-so-neat stuble… Same goes for beards. Most men look uglier, though some manage to actually achieve a better look through using a beard. – for example to appear less fat than they are…

Anyways – keep ‘em coming,

Yavor

5 Katherine Taylor October 20, 2009 at 5:59 am

For me i dont really like bearded guys, maybe the just shaved the other look, but not a full beard.

6 Zazzy October 20, 2009 at 7:08 am

As a kid around 5 or 7 I remember being very fascinated by my father’s facial hair. He use to have this mustache and pork chop side burns which now later in life I realise was his throwback from the 70′s. I have never seen him without them for the entirety of my life, and would often imitate him in the morning as he shaved and groomed. To me it was one of his defining traits that made me say, hey thats my dad! Along with the multitude of life lessons love and respect he shared with me and my family.
As for myself I tried to emulate him in as many ways as I can including facial hair. I never quite got the handle of those big ole side burns but from a teenager into adulthood I have always groomed my facial hair from a little stubble when into first appeared into a full beard to this day.

7 Kevin October 20, 2009 at 9:52 am

I use a brush and cup with natural soap to shave with like the old days! If you put some aloe in it, you will have the best shave you have ever had! I will never go back to disposable again! Keep the beards! But keep them neat!

8 Aaron P October 23, 2009 at 1:24 am

I find it funny that it was said that in the banking industry facial hair is seen as a no no. I say I find it funny because the top man in charge of our top financial institution, The Federal Reserve, sports a mighty beard!

9 Thomas Prikowitsch [blog.bitspirits.com] October 28, 2009 at 4:31 am

i am wearing a beard.
i am using a 5-blade vibrating razor and hot water – steel and very hot water, no soap, nothing else.
i get the same “cutting”-rate, but more control over the “beard-line”.

10 Dick April 27, 2010 at 11:10 am

I’m in the process of growing a goatee. After three weeks, it is quite substantial and now trying to decide how long to grow and style it. No Fu Manchu, but closer to stubble or in between. Trouble is the grey seems to draw the effect from the appearance. Thinking of dye, but heard both yes and no. Any suggestions?

I’m quite impressed with the look, anyway, thinking it gives me a more manly-virile look……the wife hates it.

11 Mitch Rhymer May 3, 2010 at 9:24 am

I am a preacher. I have sported a beard for 7 years now. I keep it looking nice and neat. I have never had any problems with with. As a matter of fact, as I began sporting it more preachers have started wearing them. I think they are cool.

When I was in the military I could not have one because of the the inability of a gas mask to make a proper seal but hey I don’t have to worry about chemical and biological agents now so I say, “Grow that beard.”

I am man hear my beard roar.