The Art of Manliness Podcast Episode #56: The Paleo Manifesto with John Durant

by Brett on January 10, 2014 · 17 comments

in Podcast

In today’s episode we talk to John Durant, author of The Paleo Manifesto, about how looking at our ancestral past can help us achieve optimal health both physically and mentally.

Show Highlights:

• Why it’s important to not just look at the Paleolithic Era to inform our health
  • How religious sanitation laws were an adaptation to the Agricultural Revolution
  • How the almost cult-like following of Crossfit and Paleo Lifestyle might be a cultural adaptation to our modern, sedentary life
  • Does violence play a role in a “paleo” lifestyle?
  • John’s first deer hunt
  • Should we look to our ancient ancestors to guide our romantic lives?
  • And much more!

Listen to the podcast!

Find us on Stitcher

1 Ethan January 10, 2014 at 7:58 pm

These last two podcasts have been awesome, keep up the good work!

2 Ethan January 10, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I especially liked the parts on violence and hunting, very interesting and I totally agree

3 Zander January 10, 2014 at 10:59 pm

I recently decided to go paleo for rugby season. I love it, I feel energetic all day, I eat all the bacon I want, and it has made me cook my own food which is great for learning different ways to cook.

4 J Calaway (@jandvicki) January 11, 2014 at 6:01 am

Great podcast!!! I am a Pastor and Theologian and have for years spoke on the food and cleanliness laws. Great view! thanks much for the entire podcast.

5 An Idle Dad January 12, 2014 at 9:45 pm

The book is not available in Kindle format – any release date?

6 George January 13, 2014 at 4:49 am

That was a great, thought provoking podcast! I’d been turned off to the Paleo craze by crossfitters that take it a bit too seriously…John seems to have a pretty balanced approach in considering changes caused by the agricultural revolution and how to realistically incorporate paleo into a modern-day lifestyle.

7 Jason January 13, 2014 at 9:12 am

Enjoyed the podcast, thank you for the time and efforts.

I noticed there was a large focus on the influence of different religions on health, particularly hygiene and fasting. However I think the author and the host overlooked the contributions of Islam to this subtopic. For example, Muslims wash their hands, faces, arms, and feet at least 5 times a day before every prayer. Also, there is an explicit separation between one’s right which is only used when eating and one’s left hand which is only used when one is cleaning himself/herself (in the restroom). Furthermore, one cleans with water not paper. In combination these behaviors lay a strong foundation to prevent illness and promote healthy living within densely populated societies. I believe that was missed in the analysis by Durant.

Fasting is a whole other topic that I will leave for another discussion.

8 Evan January 13, 2014 at 10:22 am

Really fascinating. I’ve generally been dismissive of Paleo as ‘just another fad’. But now I’m curious to learn more about it… I’d like to check out this guy’s book.

9 Jake January 13, 2014 at 11:35 am

Interesting podcast and answers a lot of questions. One quick misconception is that Jesus did not seem to be speaking against hand-washing as if the act itself is/was sinful. What Jesus spoke against was the way in which the Jewish leaders were spending all their energy on the process and were losing the real meaning of a ritual.

Otherwise great information.

10 Damian January 13, 2014 at 4:45 pm

This is great! I have been reading a little bit into Paleo recently and you hit me with this excellent info. There’s always extremely relevant and/or interesting things for me to learn more on here!

11 Rob January 14, 2014 at 10:36 am

Would it be possible to get a transcript of the audio? I find the written word much easier to engage with (both mentally and logistically!).

12 James January 15, 2014 at 10:00 am

Thanks for this podcast. Was quite informative to a topic that I was quite curious and ignorant about. I’m now going to look into “actual” Paleo food benefits.

As for Jesus, I thoroughly believe that his teachings were not of being unhealthy or of less cleanliness, but rather to break free from religious zealotry; breaking free from tradition that was locking up a people. But that’s my take.

Thanks again AOM.

13 Chad January 16, 2014 at 10:38 am

Evolution favors reproductive success, not longevity…if you are wanting to live a long healthy life, we may not want to model how we evolved.

14 Scott January 17, 2014 at 11:26 am

I’ve been more or less Paleo/Primal for almost a year now, and it is amazing. I eat delicious meals every day and have lost weight and gained energy in the process. It’s definitely worth looking into if you haven’t had the chance yet.

15 shane Martin January 17, 2014 at 11:18 pm

One of the better interviews i’ve heard on the macro-level evolution of paleo and cross fit. The whole religion analog was fascinating. Great job guys.

16 James January 23, 2014 at 8:57 am

Don’t men still get treated disposable, especially in the US?

As for sex, if children need a father and a mother for about 16 years, doesn’t it make sense that we are programmed to only feel comfortable with sex when it is in a committed relationship (our offspring will be healthier if they come from a healthy relationship)?

Have to agree with cold exposure. I felt like superman with quick recovery from WODs when I took cold showers in the summer.

Good show, thanks for sharing.

17 Dalton January 24, 2014 at 9:53 am

Interesting stuff! I’ve always written off the paleo thing as well, but this guy makes some sense. I’ll dig into it a little deeper.