AoM Month of Sandwiches Day #8: Three Cheese Italian Sandwich

by Brett on April 10, 2013 · 23 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

finsished

Welcome to Day #7 of the AoM sandwich project. Last month we asked readers for their best sandwich recommendations. Out of 483 submissions, we picked 20 to highlight here on the site each weekday during the month of April. At the end, we’ll publish all the entries into an epic man-sandwich cookbook. Enjoy.

Today’s Sandwich: Three Cheese Italian Sandwich by Henry

We haven’t really covered a cold-cut sandwich yet during our month of sandwiches, and since it’s a popular, easy-to-make standard, I figured it was about time we did. This is a good ensemble too. Henry submitted an Italian-themed sandwich that uses Italian meats, three Italian cheeses, and even Italian dressing. Will his sandwich make me exclaim “Mamma mia!”? Let’s find out.

Ingredients ingredients

• Provolone cheese
  • Mozzarella cheese
  • Grated parmesan cheese
  • Ham
  • Capicola
  • Salami
  • White bread
  • Italian dressing
  • Garlic powder
  • Mayo

Step 1: Spread the Mayo

mayo

Henry says to go light on the mayo.

Step 2: Add a Layer of Provolone Cheese

Step 11: Add a Dash of Garlic Powder

garlic

Finished Product

finsished

Taster’s Notes

eating

Mamma mia! That’s a good sandwich! Really great cold-cut combo and simple to make. This was the first time I’ve ever had capicola, and I’ve become a fan for life. I think some slices of pepperoni would make this already super Italian sandwich even better. In my experience, pepperoni makes almost everything better. My only complaint was that the sandwich was a bit dry, even with the copious amounts of Italian dressing. I’m not sure there’s much you can do about that, seeing how this sandwich has a lot of dry, hard meats and cheeses like salami, capicola, and parmesan. Maybe more mayo would help. All washed down with a Virgil’s Root Beer.

1 Adrienne April 10, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Anything with capicola (swoon) is bound to be good. The only thing that would make this sandwich any better would be some good Italian bread and maybe throwing on some pepperoncini peppers.

2 Aaron April 10, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Swap the mayo for pesto and I’m in!

3 Jon April 10, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I agree with Adrienne, some pepperoncini peppers and good Italian bread. Maybe switch out the ham for mortadella?

4 Ryan April 10, 2013 at 5:46 pm

These posts remind me of possibly the manliest sandwich, which I don’t anticipate trying myself. I read about it in the book Alas Babylon, but it’s actually a thing common in the upper mid-west. Called a Cannibal Sandwich, it is raw ground beef with onions and other seasoning on rye bread.

5 Scott W. April 10, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I wasn’t reading Art of Manliness back in 2008, or I would have commented on your choice of root beer. If you ever decide to revisit that historic piece of Americana, I recommend you try Sprecher from Milwaukee, WI.
Also test out an authentic Sassafras, which may not be available in your area.

6 Ted April 10, 2013 at 7:02 pm

@Ryan: I ate the raw meat sandwich very often when I lived in The Netherlands. See also http://www.thedutchtable.com/2011/04/filet-americain.html

7 David April 10, 2013 at 7:40 pm

If you put that thing on the foreman, or a press, the cheese would melt, making it a bit more moist. Agree with the adding of some spicy peppers. Not manly, but halfing the cheese to one slice per layer would still probably be good and cut down on the fat.

8 Rocky S April 10, 2013 at 8:08 pm

This looks quite delcious. The other sandwiches look like somewhat of a pain to create, but this ones looks so simple. And yes, adding pepperoni would make it even better!

9 MikeX10A April 10, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Lose the sliced bread and throw in italian bread, french or club – something fresh from a deli and put the dressing on the bread. Sliced bread can’t handle the amount of dressing you’ll need to prevent the dryness.

Alternatively, use red wine vinegar only.

10 Projunior April 10, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Just be sure to pronounce capicola the way Italian-Americans pronounce it: “gabagool”.

Listen to Silvio from the Sopranos:

11 Seth April 10, 2013 at 9:52 pm

My suggestion for alleviating the dryness of the sandwich would be to add a slice or two of ripe garden tomato. I think it would add a pleasing counterbalance of sweetness/freshness to the rich, fattier, salty quality of the meats and cheeses; plus it fits right into an Italian ‘theme.’

12 Christian April 11, 2013 at 2:02 am

This looks rally tasty, but why use that premade mayo? It is very easy to make your own. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2ACNlGjV_fU
Then you can make all kinds of mayos, just the way you like them.
I agree with Seth on the tomato. And maybe a couple of olives on the side.

13 Aaron April 11, 2013 at 7:10 am

This sandwich is crying out to be flipped between bites. That way, you get a garlicky burst of ham on one bite, then a dollop of gabagooly provolone on the next.
There’s just too many flavors in that thing to eat it in one direction the entire time. You gotta flip that thing.

14 Henry April 11, 2013 at 8:03 am

Following up with Seth’s comment, you gotta hydrate this sandwich. Tomato, lettuce, onions, and sweet peppers will set this sandwich off!! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

15 Wayne April 11, 2013 at 9:49 am

I agree wholeheartedly with Henry and Seth. Add tomatoes, thinly sliced red onions, some pickled peppers and lettuce and you’ve got a tremendous sandwich. Substitute red wine vinegar and olive oil for the Italian dressing and you’ve got a whole new taste.

16 Seth W. April 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm

That looks awesome. Maybe a little olive tapanade mixed in with the mayo? Or some gardineria? I love a big messy Italian sandwich.

17 Nereus April 11, 2013 at 5:17 pm

The ideal way to make this sandwich less dry is to use real mozzarella. While this sandwich certainly has many merits, as an Italian, I shudder at the look of what you call mozzarella. Try using genuine buffalo mozzarella (mozzarella di bufala), easily recognised by its moist texture and incredible taste (I cannot stress this enough), and you will never buy the stodgy supermarket stuff again. That alone will make this sandwich an absolute winner.
Another fantastic way to moisten a sandwich is to use some ripe avocado. It may not fit the Italian theme used here but tastes amazing combined with salty cold cuts!

18 Kevin April 11, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I like the idea of the veggies along with the pepperocini. One thought I had is that garlic powder is easy to lose control over and make you smell. How about mixing the garlic powder into the mayo with a dash of paprika? Also a good hoagie roll, or a long loaf of Italian or French bread. Less messy with the dressing.

19 Dan April 11, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Switch the sliced mozzarella with a couple slices of fresh mozzarella. That would moisten it right up, and improve the taste immensely. A couple tomato slices would be great as well. Looks like a great sandwich.

20 Ken April 14, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I’m half Italian and I grew up in an Italian household. Switch to Italian bread, and use red wine vinegar and olive oil and it would fit right in.

21 Daniel April 15, 2013 at 8:30 am

Ah yes, the ever authentic Italian mayo ;) And for reference, not all Italians pronounce capi as “gabagool”, that is only southern Italians/Sicilians. If you want this sandwich to sing, I agree with some of the posts below, use some real bread, something with a nice crust. Hollow it out a bit so the sandwich isn’t to doughy. Take out the mayo and use a nice homemade pesto (basil or sundried tomato would be good). Pepperoncini peppers would be a nice addition as well. Lastly, thinly slice some real garlic instead of using that powdered crap, it tastes like sand compared to the real thing. Buon Appetito.

22 carolyn decaprio April 17, 2013 at 7:53 am

A few tomatoes and some lettuce on this sandwich would help the dryness issue. Also, a little Italian seasoning sprinkle wouldn’t hurt anything. I’d also change the bread to something hardier, like a hoagie bun. It would hold the dressing better AMD cut down on the sogginess factor. :)

23 Rob May 1, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I love italian dressing on sandwhiches, goes great with pastrami and pepper jack.

As someone how does not like mayonaise tomatoes and lettuce go along way to moistening a sandwhich.