52 Workout Songs To Help You Get Bigger, Stronger, and Faster

by schaefer on August 5, 2008 · 253 comments

in Health & Sports

It is no secret that music has an uncanny ability to motivate us. The right song can make an otherwise dull workout become our finest hour. And now there is scientific evidence to support it, as well as entire businesses dedicated to helping you produce customized workout soundtracks. The benefits of music impact several areas according to HellaSound.com, a website dedicated to helping you find the right music for your workout.

“In academic-speak, the right music is an ergogenic aid—an external influence that positively affects your physiological performance. Wikipedia’s definition breaks ergogenic aid benefits into 3 facets: performance improvement, minimization of distraction and increased recovery.” – HellaSound

It was with this in mind that the 52 best workout songs were selected in an epic exploration of the foot-tapping, guitar-screaming and beat-boxing tracks that have found a welcome home in gyms across America. Most of them famous, some very obscure, but all great songs for running, lifting, spinning and any other workout you can think of.

As for selection criteria one key element stood out from all the rest: tempo. Why? According to experts it is the most important factor in enhancing workout performance because it provides timing and coordination for your movements. Music in the 120-140 beats-per-minute (bpm) range is best for most aerobic exercise because it most closely matches the average person’s heart rate.

In creating this list much attention was also paid to finding a good mix of genres (though most will notice it skewed on the side of rock simply because it tends to have the most uptempo songs), as well as music from different eras (though most will find it skewed in favor of the 90s and today simply because songs like “My Guy” don’t exactly make the average person want to throw around some weights).

Finally, “Eye of the Tiger” was left out because it has been overplayed and now borders more on cheesy than motivational. If this makes you sad then go watch “Rocky” and eat a pint of ice cream.

Now, Art of Manliness presents the 52 best workout songs for your listening pleasure:

1. “Thunderstruck”- AC/DC

29. D.A.N.C.E.- Justice

30. Somebody Told Me – The Killers

31. When You Were Young – The Killers

32. “Red Morning Light” – Kings of Leon

33. Immigrant Song – Led Zeppelin

34. Last Light – Matt Pond PA

35. Beat It – Michael Jackson OR Fall Out Boy (feat. John Mayer)

36. Enter Sandman – Metallica

47. Reptilia – The Strokes

48. Oh! Gravity – Switchfoot

49. “All Because of You” – U2

50. Island In the Sun – Weezer

51. Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes

52. Woman – Wolfmother

So, by this time some of you are excited, some are perplexed and still others are furious. Let us know what hidden gem we left uncovered or why you think this is the greatest list of of the last several decades.

101 Nova November 30, 2008 at 11:37 am

I must agree that this list is terrible…I wouldn’t listen to most of that stuff EVER! But in the gym its all about Metal and Gangsta Rap!
Here’s a taste of what got me through 4-5 trips to the gym a week and from 150lbs to 170lbs in a year…
THE BEAST:
AC/DC…Highway to hell…T.N.T…..Beating around the bush
Accept…Balls to the wall
Metallica…Sandman…Kill’em all…seek and destroy
Guns and roses…Welcome to the jungle
Pantera…cowboys from hell…walk
system of a down…shimmy
big pun…beware
c-murder…fuck them other n!99as
Lil Jon…i dont give a fuck
master p…bout it bout it
tupac…ambitions az a ridah

To name a few of the more well know tracks!

102 Nova November 30, 2008 at 11:47 am

BTW this list is for dudes that go to the gym with the intent to lift heavy shit and get bigger!!! not really beginners or those dudes that like to look at the dudes who put in work (U know who you are)!…

103 Fred December 1, 2008 at 7:42 pm

I love a lot of these bands and songs like a lot of the others here, but I don’t think any of them coincide with my workout playlist.

Top Back -TI (played twice because I like to listen to a consistent tune during a quick mile)
Rock You Like a Hurricane – Scorpions
Du Hast – Rammstein
Get Low – Lil’ John (this one REALLY gets me going for some reason)
The Way I Am – Eminem
Not Give A F*ck – Fabolous
In Da Club – 50 Cent
Stronger – Kanye West (I like the original Daft Punk song better, but I find this one better during a work out session)
Just Lose It – Eminem

After all of this I generally toss on a Metallica album for some long distance biking or running.

Also, I was pretty disappointed to see Fall Out Boy and Dashboard Confessional even mentioned on this blog. I didn’t expect to see my songs due to the classy nature of this site, but those two bands are just whiny and unmanly.

104 John December 7, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Good to see the White Stripes up there….

I personally think you need to put some Techno/Trance up there….

I’m a national level swimmer, and I always walk out to my heat with techno…

It’s was make me tick, I suppose.

Good work.
Also, welcome to the Jungle… Great choice.

Thanks,
@Four -

105 Michael December 7, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Tennessee Ernie Ford – Sixteen Tons

As good as I once was – Toby Keith

Save a horse (ride a cowboy) – Big & Rich

106 Kyle December 18, 2008 at 1:31 am

What. No Disturbed?

W.

T.

F.

107 white magpie December 21, 2008 at 10:21 am

I agree with most of the comments. Some of the songs like Marley etc are good but not for the gym. Some recommendations to step that beat up are:

1 – Testament – Formation of Damnation
2 – Behemoth – Libertheme
3 – Nile – Slashed to the slavestick
4 – Pantera – Fuc kin hostile

108 Sky December 22, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Dude, why you gotta put Bob Marley on there? Bob Marley wouldnt listen to Bob Marley working out. What about megadeath, slayer, disturbed ect? You really had no hard stuff. If you lift HEAVY these are a must have. Most of that stuff i would listen to while walking through a park with my girlfriend. Good try but you must be over 40. I give it a 4 out of 10.

109 Cameron December 23, 2008 at 11:58 am

This is wonderful. Maintaining a good variety while at the same time using all good music. Great songs all from different time periods, and they are all songs I enjoy running to. Well most of them, there were only a few I had never heard of. Good job, this was very interesting.

110 rav2833 December 26, 2008 at 6:09 pm

this list is awesome. I added nearly 30 songs from this list to my workout playlist. Lost of variety while still up beat great job!

111 Jack December 27, 2008 at 9:44 pm

I’m not impressed. I’m with everyone else on Marley, that’s for sure. No Korn, Tupac, Ramstein, Linkin Park? Definitely missed the mark on this list, have you actually ever worked out with all of this? If I heard a guy listening to some of these songs(especially beat it by m.jackson), I’d keep my distance at the least. Some may use some sort of inner-concentration bs or breathing but when it comes down to it, good workouts for me are predicated on good, kick ass music. Some of my favorites(most of which will be repudiated because of their bamf nature):

Linkin Park- No More Sorrow, Figure.09
A.F.I.-Kiss and Control
Korn-Ever Be, Do what they say, Everything I’ve Known, I’m Done, Shoots and ladders, Coming Undone
Slipknot-Step up, Pulse of the maggots(if you really need motivation)
Three Days Grace-Riot
2 Pac-Fight Music, Till I Collapse
Ramstein-Duhast, America, Boom Boom
Young Jeezy-Gangsta Music

That’s just my personal favs, obviously everyone has their own.

112 Dill December 28, 2008 at 8:27 pm

this list sucks balls

113 Ken Fitzpatrick December 31, 2008 at 6:29 am

Surprised no one mentioned any of the following

The Offspring – Come out and Play, Nitro, Meaning of Life, All I Want, and most other Offspring songs.
Anthrax – ‘Got the time’ is great
Motorhead – Ace of Spades

I saw these bands, but specifically I like:
Iron Maiden – Run to the hills
Black Sabbath – Paranoid

Just a few

Later

114 Nate Hays January 6, 2009 at 10:00 am

I can’t belive how heroically BAD this list is. Out of 52 workout songs you came up with like 3 that are actually decent. A monkey throwing darts in a cd store would’ve done a much better job. This is bar none the absolute worst list of workout songs I’ve ever seen. Oh my god you failed sooo miserabally I can’t even express my disgust. In trying to figure out how you came up with this list!! We can all be certain that you have never actually worked out to 95% of these songs, because if you had than even with your horrible judgement you still couldn’t have possible included them on a list of great workout songs. I’m pretty confident in saying that this is not only the worst list of workout songs EVER, but that this list is in fact one of the top 5 worst Lists of ANYTHING EVER. Thank you for wasting my time!

115 Nate Hays January 6, 2009 at 10:11 am

Also- “Feel So Numb” by Rob Zombie is an awesome song to lift to

116 H. E. Bianchi January 9, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Hmmm…too much sissy music on this list. Still, it’s not a total loss. Actually, it’s pretty manly (or at least courageous) just to put up your musical tastes in a public forum! Like religion and politics, it’s likely to cause argument and best not to be spoken of with strangers.

117 Matt January 10, 2009 at 9:01 am

This quite possibly could be the worst collection of music i have ever seen. What on god’s green earth were you thinking? Do you actually even workout? If, so, it must be Jazzersize.

Sincerely,
Dissapointed

118 lynn January 11, 2009 at 11:33 pm

here are some good work out songs
1.) “the distance” by CAKE
2.)”Miserlou” by Dick Dale a.k.a the theme song for Pulp Fiction
3.)”jump” by Van Helen
4.)”everlong” by foo fighters
5.)”smooth criminal”by alien ant farm
6.)”she’s so cold” by rolling stones
7.) “time bomb” by BECK

119 denver hayes January 12, 2009 at 6:06 pm

this list is just confirmation that the art of manliness website is actually run by 15yr old girls…

120 Tim Roth January 15, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Do you know that you can download playlists for gym works free from this blog?

Pretty cool stuff!

121 khalil January 24, 2009 at 6:52 pm

all the music ur guys have it is so stupd for workout its so sly and mking u slow try the house music progres or the tribal house music
the best

122 MetalMeatHammer January 27, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Slayer

123 Zarteaga February 4, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Here just some suggestions:

Helter Skelter – The Beatles
Live and let die – Guns and Roses
Barracuda – Heart
Do the Evolution – Pearl Jam
Du Hast – Ramnstein
Pride and Joy – Stevie Ray Vaughn
and Lots of Bass Agents tunes…!

Anyway, whatever makes you pump is worth listening to.

124 Steven Copley February 10, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Open Your Eyes by the Guano apes makes me want to flip over a car.

Just thought I’d share.

125 Lucia February 13, 2009 at 3:47 pm

guys I am wondering how you make it not to fall asleep.. especially while listening to the tigher eye or what it is :)

Prodigy – Voodoo People
The Fratellis – Got ma nuts from a hippie
The Fratellis – Flathead
Madonna – Hung up
Tegan and Sara – Back in Your Head
Tegan and Sara – you wouldn’t like me
Akon ft Eminem – Smack that
Aerosmith – Jaded – this one is too slow but it still keeps me going for a minute or so ;)

126 Michael February 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Bob “Let’s all chill and take a toke” Marley and Johnny Cash both need taken off this list.

“Headhunter” by Front 242 is a great workout song. Top 52? Maybe.

How about “Superman” by the Kinks? Or the completely different song of the same name by REM?

127 David Ridarelli February 17, 2009 at 1:01 am

Giving In by Adema, Love Dump by Static-X, and Just Like You Imagined by Nine Inch Nails are all awesome when you’re trying to pick up the heavy stuff.

I also made a list on my blog of 20 workout beats that no one has heard before.

128 tim February 19, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Wow. This was th worst list imaginable. maybe 5 good workout songs. thanks for wasting my time ass#ole.

129 Kevster March 3, 2009 at 1:37 pm

For me, a good workout song is one that, when they play it on the radio while you’re driving, makes you drive a little faster, and maybe belt out the lyrics as you drive. Otherwise, I find it has little to do with rhythm or attitude.

In other words, just take your driving music playlist, delete the really mellow tracks, and call it a gym playlist.

130 Ashley March 4, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I don’t know how (well most of these songs) would even constitute as workout music.?
How can you listen to slow music while working out, not too impressed with the list.
I was really looking for some upbeat and get you fired up music!

131 Qdizzle March 5, 2009 at 10:03 am

first, thanks for the list. I am bored and thought I would post a few of my songs on here.. hope someone likes.

ACDC “thunderstruck”
Survivor “eye of the tiger”
Eminem “till I collapse”
Eminem “lose yourself”
Metallica “enter sandman”
Limp Bizkit “my way”
Korn “coming undone”
Cat Steven “father and son” – “From the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen” great motivational song.
Nickelback “animals”
Fort Minor “remember the name”
Linkin Park “numb”
ACDC “TNT”
ACDC “back in black”
Guns&Roses

132 Brain March 8, 2009 at 6:01 pm

try “ohio is for lovers” hawthorn heights and “The district sleeps alone tonight” – postal service.

133 Stan March 10, 2009 at 8:25 pm

You’ve been told this before -but I have to say again – this list is garbage

My little contribution to a list.
Automatic – Powerman 5000
Bombshell – Powerman 5000
Ready Steady Go – Paul Oakenfold
Becoming Insane – Infected Mushroom
Break on Through – The Doors
Agenda Suicide – The Faint
The Way You Move – Outkast

134 van March 12, 2009 at 10:19 pm

I swear to God, it’s like you were in my head. With the exception of about ten, is my workout playlist on my iPod.

Hands down best songs to run to.

135 CJay March 17, 2009 at 6:01 am

Im kinda dissapointed my favorite workout song isnt in the list

Bomfunk MC’s Freestyler

anyway I listened to a few songs on youtube, and I wont use them for workout tbh

136 tfm March 24, 2009 at 6:56 pm

NO DMX?!?!? Wow. I love Rock n roll but DMX has to be on a workout mix. In addition to that, what about music from NFL Films?

137 Zach March 30, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Straight up some of my favorites in no order:
1. Trade yourself in – Shinedown
16. Till’ I Collapse – EMINEM
17. Undead – Hollywood Undead
18. Stricken – Disturbed
19. Remedy – Seether
20. I Stand Alone – Godsmack
21. Last Resort – Papa Roach
22. Boom – P.O.D (Optional)

If you don’t get pumped listening to this, there is something wrong with you.

138 Ken April 21, 2009 at 3:09 pm

The Beast by Tech N9ne

139 tom May 3, 2009 at 4:14 pm

som3e songs to replace the 95% of your choice music that is crappy to workout to.
Black Betty- Spiderbait- this is a cover song obviously very bad ass
enter sandman- metallica
i dissapear
master of puppets
eye of the tiger- survivor
fell in love with a girl- white stripes
iron man- ozzy (who could not have this)
knights of cydonia-muse
la grange- zz top
sharp dressed man
break ya neck- busta rhymes
renegade-styx
rocky mountain way- joe walsh
purple haze- jim hendrix
saturday night special-lynard skynyrd
the stroke- billy squier
everybody wants you
train, train- blackfoot
we are the champions- queen
we will rock you (everybody should have these two songs from queen)
40 oz- D12
Tumult-Stone sour
No one kows -Queens of the stone age
Never gonna find me- the offspring
Cocky- kid rock
forever
Soldier-eminem
criminal
the way i am
welcome to the jungle- guns n’ roses
maybelline-foghat

not a promise of everything godly to workout to but bad ass songs from my playlist. you can call it the powerlifters list.

140 kynon May 6, 2009 at 1:46 am

two greats to work out to are

incubus make yourself

your disease by saliva

141 lllll May 6, 2009 at 3:07 pm

if “Walk” and “Cowboys From Hell” by Pantera and don’t pump you up, then you sir, have no soul.

142 Rooseter! May 19, 2009 at 3:25 pm

My Generation – The Who

Don’t know if thats been mentioned.

Kanye West – Stronger

Agree with some of the list but some seem to just not do it for me.

It is all down to personal preference, of course, there may of been an even at which at a seriously happy time of your life, a certain song reminds you of this, so everytime you hear this song it triggers adrenaline.

My PE teacher is an ex pro rugby player, played for Great Britain in the 90′s and he had a video made by staff at Great Britain to pump him up before the game. The song in the background of the video, was one he heard when he attended a rugby world cup game in Australia, he said it was one of the best moments in his life, and the song brought back the memory and spurred him on to go out onto the pitch and want to perform. he also told me, (because when he stopped playing he went into managering/coaching that before the match he would use high tempo songs with a small amount of lyrics to pump up his players before a game.

All in all, i just believe it’s down to personal preference.

143 Chris June 7, 2009 at 10:19 pm

I have to say, I never expected to see a comment on here mentioning Nile. I love the band – but not to work out to. I have found that Acacia Strain’s album “Continent” is a great one to lift to. Also on my list of albums, Lamb of God’s “New American Gospel” and “Sacrament”, Winds of Plague’s “Decimate the Weak” (also a great album name for the heavy lifting), and as much flak as I’ll get from the death metal crowd here, Job for a Cowboy’s “Doom” and “Genesis” albums.

About the list here – while my workouts are mostly lifting with 10 minute interval training thrown in 3 different places, I don’t really care to switch to “running music”, but if I did, some of these songs would work well for that. It would be pointless to go into which ones at this point, though, because I would be beating a dead horse.

144 shiva July 8, 2009 at 1:21 pm

great list…
nara by e.s.posthumous…recently discovered it and man! it’s inspiring!!!
p.s–it’s instrumental
I’ve been folowing this blog for about the past month or so…and making it my browser homepage was the best thing i ever did!!

145 Rude Barista July 12, 2009 at 3:24 am

Screw the haters, I gave this play list a shot, its great for cardio, I do 65 minutes on the elliptical and enjoyed this.

now for lifting, maybe this isn’t the best, but music is personal preference.

146 MIKEY July 17, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Funhouse–The Stooges
Crossfire–Stevie Ray Vaughan
Supernaut–Black Sabbath
School Is Out–Alice Cooper
Move Over-Janis
Murder, Inc–Springsteen
I Want You (She’s So Heavy)–Beatles
I Found Out–John Lennon
Break On Through–Doors
Behind Blue Eyes–Who
Let Me Put My Love Into You–AC/DC

147 The Rick A Show July 21, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Pretty good list. I will try it out on my next workout. Here is what I have on my ipod. It’s a lot of Drum and Bass, but I use it mainly for running:

X Ray-Sub Focus
Verano-Sub Focus
Valley of Death-Zenon
Slam-Pendulum (great running song)
Serial Thrilla-The Prodigy
Scarecrow-Sub Focus
Pork and Beef-The Coup
Follow the Leader-Eric B. & Rakim
Blowout- The Crystal Method
Bloodmoney-Optical ft. Ed Rush & Matrix

148 johnny July 23, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I joined a real boxing gym last year… and it was run by this old, huge, mexican dude…

All he would play while we trained was JOHNNY CASH… it was awesome!

149 Zach July 23, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythem Of A War Drum by A Perfect Circle……that is the best song to workout to if your asking opinions

150 Yoga online September 10, 2009 at 7:01 pm

It’s a great song list

151 Aaron September 15, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Speed up the routine with some metal!

Static X – Push it
Mudvayne – dig, determined
Metallica – Master Puppets

152 Steve September 17, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Beastie Boys – No Sleep ‘Til Brooklyn
Creedence Clearwater Revival – Commotion
Daft Punk – Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Nine Inch Nails – Wish
Pearl Jam – Animal
Red Hot Chili Peppers – Suck My Kiss
Rick Astley – Never Gonna Give You Up

153 Brad September 28, 2009 at 8:32 pm

This list has some okay songs on it, but it pretty much sucks when it comes to lifting. Go heavy….Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Slipknot, Lamb of God…etc. I want to feel the anger when I lift!!!

154 Nathan November 26, 2009 at 7:03 am

Back in high school we listened to a lot of rock when we lifted weights in our school weight room. Lots of Godsmack, Static-X, Disturbd, etc. Think of rock circa 2000.

155 michael gentry January 2, 2010 at 2:21 pm

it depends on the workout. you need to match the workout beat to your heartbeat and you’ll be all good,

————————–
michael.gentry

“dofollow”> “workout routine

156 jennlett January 9, 2010 at 2:19 pm

some of my favorites

basshunter – boten anna, all i ever wanted, shut the fuck up, dota
benny benassi – magic box, sanfransico remix w/ global djs
prodigy – smack my bitch up, rockerfeller skank
madonna – give it 2 me
atlas – battles
b.o.b. – created a monster
black eyed peas – ring a ling, pump it harder
blink 182 – all the small things
brooklyn bounce – bass , beats and melody, crazy
u2 – vertigo, beautiful day
coldplay – viva la vida
crystal fighters – xtatic truth
love is gone – david guetta
destra – max it up

great for elliptical and running.. not sure about runnign these are fast paced

157 Toneezy January 12, 2010 at 4:46 am

Thanks for the great list, but like others have said, there are a few disappointments and surprises here. First off I would like to say that I am not primarily a rock fan, but I am not biased at all, I do listen to some songs from foo fights and more.

But I should say that some of these songs should not be on this list. Bob Marley “No Woman No Cry” WHAT! This song is a great song, but I wont ever be able to work out to it. Its too slow and soft.

What should be added. You did say that rock is definitely a great genre of music to listen to, but that’s pretty much all you added minus 1-2 or hip hop/rap. Whatabout Tupac? Tupac “Ambitionz as a Riddah” is probably one of the most listened to songs from NBA players, Allen Iverson being one of them. Step into a world by KRS-One is also listened to by a few fighters that train in the UFC, Rashad Evans being one of them.

And how can a site dedicated to manliness claim that eye of the tiger is now corny? I must disagree. Just because Eye of the Tiger is overplayed, does not mean its corny. It’s only corny when people choose to make parodies of it. Eye of the tiger and other Rocky songs like “Hearts on fire” are still in the majority of peoples playlist at the gyms (at least in my local gyms). Thanks for the list! I will definitely add some of these songs to my list, but this list in particular needs work.

158 Country January 22, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Ummm…not sure what kind of weight lifting this is for??? Maybe like, curls with 5 lb dumbells while standing on an exercise ball. I don’t know. Try listening to some Five Finger Death Punch – War is the Answer. Guaranteed to make you start head-butting the barbell.

159 BK January 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm

List had some great variety which I love, and I love working out to many of these songs. However, one song I always get pumped up to whenever I’m feeling fatigue…. is….

Tuff Enuff by The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

160 The Best January 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm

I have to recommend a song by The Best called “You’re the Best!!!” Can be downloaded for free at http://www.motivationalrock.com or on their FB page at http://www.facebook.com/motivationalrock

Check it out- very upbeat, positive and full of good energy.

161 Justin Symonds March 9, 2010 at 1:45 am

Lose Yourself- eminem
Break- Three days grace
I Get It- chevelle
I will not bow- Breaking Benjamin
champange – cavo
closer- Nine Inch nails
stronger kanye west
never enough- five finger death punch
smooth criminal
numb- linkin park
lying from you- linkin park
remember the name- fort minor

162 mufleen March 17, 2010 at 6:29 am

nice, but bob marley…..man u gotta be kiddin us……its like listenin 2 lady antebellum while pumpin iron…..fckin lame……guys shud try out till i collapse, by mnm (dats how i spell eminem!) or new workout plan by kanye……..even linkin park’s got sm beats 2 their credit……….

163 Steve D March 19, 2010 at 9:16 pm

George Thorogood people…Bad to the Bone…

164 Christopher Kosel March 20, 2010 at 8:28 am

No classical??? How about “Ride of the Valkyries” used in “Apocalypse Now”, or “The Anvil Chorus”? (There are MANY others as well) Jeez you guys, get with it. ;)

165 adsfasf April 10, 2010 at 8:46 am

these some really crap songs here :P

166 Alex April 10, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Anything by a band named “Hatebreed” all their music is about is… Well MOTIVATION. Literally, every song is a workout song. And most of it is about being a better Man. check them out. Might be a lil hardcore for some, But i live by them

167 Patrick April 11, 2010 at 4:49 am

The Darkness? Their songs only work for me because they annoy me – I can channel that annoyance into my lifts.

Best song for nailing personal deadlift records: Foo Fighters’ “But, Honestly”, which has one of the greatest sweet spots in rock music ever, IMO.

168 Joe April 19, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Just googled “Best Metal Workout Songs” and this list was one of the top 5 search results. To put my feelings bluntly; this is some real pussy shit for a website called “Art of Manliness”.

169 Jay April 21, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Ummm… no, no, no, on so many levels. How am I supposed to lift heavy weights to a majority of this stuff?

How about more stuff that actually makes you feel like ripping someone’s head off (I mean, after all, how can you lift heavy listening to Weezer, Bob Marley, or Johnny Cash? I love most of the music on your list, but most of it doesn’t belong on a workout list).Try a few of these, for example:

Prong – Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck
Rammstein – Well, they have tons of good stuff, pick one
Motorhead – Ace of Spades, The Game, etc.
Black Flag – Rise Above
Gwar – Ragnarok, Sick of You, etc.
Pantera – Almost anything
Sepultura – Almost anything
Achozen – Deuces (“You ain’t never seen a bigger threat” – from Babylon A.D.)
Judas Priest – Revolution and many others
L7 – Fuel My Fire, Shitlist, many others
Marilyn Manson – This is the New Shit, The Beautiful People, Rock is Dead
Filter – Hey Man Nice Shot, and a few others
KMFDM – Lots of good stuff
Mudvane – Dig
Prodigy – Funky Shit, Firestarter, Diesel Power, Smack My Bitch Up
Nine Inch Nails – Head Like a Hole, Closer, The Perfect Drug, Burn
White Zombie, Rob Zombie – Plenty to choose from here as well

This is far from an exhaustive list, but I think you get the idea. I don’t do aerobics. I lift weights (barbells, dumbbells, rocks, logs, chains, anything heavy I can pick up, really). In order to do that, you need music that makes you angry or no music at all. I’d rather have silence than workout to Yanni or Michael Bolton or whatever else you consider “good” workout music.

170 Joseph April 23, 2010 at 9:51 am

Who in the what now? This is a weightlifting song list? There are maybe six songs that are even fast paced enough to warrant being lifting material. What were you thinking advertising this as such? Some of the songs are really good, but most belong to a mix you make for your woman – get a grip and don’t sell this as gym material. I don’t know anyone, my girlfriend included, who would listen to this muddled list for gym level motivation. Here’s a clue – try The Disturbed or anything that does not sound like the Goo Goo Dools… sorry to be a hater, but this is not a lifting song list and you just wasted my time because I thought the list would improve whereas it just got worse.

171 Luke April 24, 2010 at 6:36 am

The comment about this being the worst list of workout songs is exactly right. A banal list complied by a seemingly emo and approval seeking author.

172 The Tugboat April 25, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Haha! This is a very interesting topic to cover. First off, I knew there would be many disagreements before I even read the list. Everybody has their opinions on what is the BEST song to listen while working out. Secondly, since I am a Deaf individual (22 years old)…music is not something I can truly speak freely about. Do not get me wrong, deaf people love music–believe it or not. However, it’s not the lyrics– (unless you’re hard of hearing) that matters—it’s the tempo. As long as there is a good solid ‘beat rhythm’ from the drums or etc…any song will do! I love feeling the beats of any good music.Unfortunately, if the song was singing the cheesiest lyrics ever, I still will probably be bobbing my head, screaming let’s get it on!! People might turn their heads at me and think i’m nuts or something, haha. Then again, that may be a good thing…quite obviously, I am not so cynical of music! ha!

I am going to open up a gym in the near future and I know how important music is when working out–so, everybody…thanks for the tips!!

Also–as a final note. I realize it is different for my case, but one should realize they do not need music to workout. I workout in my garage or in the woods, with no music. I always feel a sense of ‘spirituality’.not sure if it is the right word to use. But I am able to connect to my own being when working out. I feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of my workout sessions because it’s only me and the cold iron/logs/woods. I do not need the aid of music and i personally advise…if you become to reliable on music–what will you do the day there is no music for whatever reason? Will you still be able to get yourself moving? I sure hope so!

173 Tattoo Fade May 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I lost all my music lately and my gals list is a joke. I had some of this stuff on my old list. I’ll get to work rebuilding. Thanks for posting!

174 knox May 11, 2010 at 4:23 pm

terrible. add tool. add puscifer. add maynard

175 Josh Mantey May 20, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Quite frankly, I think that the person who created this website was high on marijuana brownies, or they are just born stupid. WHERE IN THE HECK IS EYE OF THE TIGER!!!???

176 Austin May 27, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Breaking Benjamin + Disturbed + RATM + Three Days Grace “One-X” Album + Adema

You are now jacked

177 Patrick May 28, 2010 at 8:49 am

great variety…but personally i need something a little heavier when im workin out

Celldweller – Switchback
Jay Z & Linkin Park – almost anything from collision course but i like 99problems/one step closer/points of authority
Drake – Forever (travis barker remix)
Slipknot – Duality
Pendulum – Propane nightmares
Drowning Pool – Step Up
Limp Bizkit – My way or Rollin’
Metallica – Frantic
Linkin Park – A place for my head/Given up/Papercut/Hit the floor/Faint
Kanye West – Stronger

Everyone will have a different preference when it comes to workin out..this is mine

178 Wes May 30, 2010 at 2:58 am

I’ve been looking for songs to get me pumped while I pump for hours. So far all I can say is that my taste in music seems to differ from everyone on the entire Planet. I’d rather die than listen to any of these.

179 LAB June 6, 2010 at 9:40 pm

What about Firestarter by Prodigy or Close To the Edit by Art of Noise? Just some suggestions that work for me.

180 Geno June 7, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Bonecrusher- Soulhat

181 popol June 24, 2010 at 10:36 am

Essayez Vitalic-Disco Terminateur !! c’est pas du disco c’est de l’électro-house française. Du pur délire.

182 Frank July 8, 2010 at 7:51 am

Judas Priest-Painkiller

183 Jason July 11, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Born in the USA – Springsteen

184 Justin July 12, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Through the Fire and Flames-Dragonforce

185 Casey July 13, 2010 at 11:06 am

worst. playlist. ever.

186 Archetas July 23, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Most of these are long roadtrip songs. I want motivation and blood/adrenaline pumping music. Most of this lulls me. No gym I’ve ever been to would play 3/4ths this stuff.

187 Luis August 1, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Okay, seriously? I agree to the anti Marley thing, when your goal is to become a meathead, you gotta use heavy metal rock that just motivates you enough to destroy stuff…here’s the top three I chose for my list:
1. Down with the Sickness, Disturbed
2. Get up again, Flaw
3. To the Threshold, Hatebreed
I bet these three songs motivate me 100 times more than this list…just sayin’…

188 Mike August 12, 2010 at 4:37 am

Another list I found

49 Of The Best Workout And Motivational Songs/Videos Ever!

189 Buccal August 16, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Interesting list you got going on here. Definitely MANLY!
Although I don’t agree with some of the choices and wouldn’t find them very pumping to my workout routine, the list is excellent and varied.

190 penis August 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm

your going down by sick puppies great workout song

191 Priscilla Jane Fumero October 4, 2012 at 8:04 pm

9. Sir-Mix-A-Lot – Baby Got Back
10. House Of Pain – Jump Around
11. Akon ft Eminem – Smack That

192 Priscilla Jane Fumero October 4, 2012 at 8:15 pm

12. Will Smith— Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It
13. Will Smith—Wild Wild West
14. Tag Team—Whoomp! (There It Is)
15. Vanilla Ice— Ice Ice Baby

193 Rob October 11, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Any song from any Rocky movie ever

194 SIfty October 13, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I personally believe Two Steps From Hell is literally one Hell of a Workout aid.

195 Bob October 17, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Gonna Fly Now – bill conti / Probably the most famous and best work out song EVER

196 da man October 19, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Apollo says,
“Eye of the tiger man”!

197 nick October 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm

When I workout, there’s only 2 forms of acceptable music…..hardcore/heavy metal & rap. I listen to every type of music and I like a bunch of the music on this list but in no way shape or form is this gonna get me pumped for a run, for the bench, or for the bag. Maybe some hipster crying in his skinny jeans but not me.

198 Daniel Steiny October 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Here is my list – it kicks butt! All “road tested”

SONG TITLE ARTIST

Hey, Soul Sister Train
High Road Fort Minor featuring John Legend
Highway Unicorn (Road To Love) Lady Gaga
Hollaback Girl Gwen Stafani
Home Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
Hot Air Balloon Owl City
House Of Pain – Jump Around (Clean)
I’m Yours Jason Mraz
Lost in My Mind (Alternate Version) [iTunes Session] The Head and the Heart
Mama Said Knock You Out LL Cool J
Marry The Night Lady Gaga
The Middle Jimmy Eat World
Miracle Worker SuperHeavy
Mother We Just Can’t Get Enough New Radicals
Moves Like Jagger (Studio Recording from “The Voice” Performance) [feat. Christina Aguilera] Maroon 5
The New York Times Everclear
Saw You First Givers
Say Hey (I Love You) Cherine Anderson/Michael Franti & Spearhead
Sex On Fire Kings of Leon
Shake It Out Florence + The Machine
Shake It Up Cars
Shakira – Hips Dont Lie Shakira
She Is Beautiful Andrew W.K.
Simple Song The Shins
Smile Uncle Kracker
The Sound of Sunshine Michael Franti/Michael Franti & Spearhead/Spearhead
Spice Up Your Life Spice Girls
Stay Young, Go Dancing Death Cab for Cutie
Steal My Sunshine Len
Stronger Kanye West
Such Great Heights The Postal Service
Suddenly I See KT Tunstall
Sun is Shining Finley Quaye
These Days Foo Fighters
Two-Timing Touch and Broken Bones The Hives
U + Ur Hand Pink
Waiting for the End Linkin Park
Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) [The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Song] {feat. Freshlyground} Shakira
Walk Foo Fighters
Wasting Time Kid Rock
Wavin’ Flag (Coca-Cola Celebration Mix) K’naan
We Are Young (feat. Janelle Monáe) Fun.
What A Feeling (Progressive Follow Up Mix) Global Deejays
What A Wonderful World Louis Armstrong
Where Is the Love? The Black Eyed Peas & Justin Timberlake
Wonderful Night Fatboy Slim
You’ll Find A Way Santogold
You’re Gonna Go Far, Kid The Offspring
You Get What You Give The New Radicals
Your Love Is My Drug Ke$ha

199 Chad October 21, 2012 at 8:58 am

This list is pretty bad but I suppose everyone works put to different styles of music. I prefer electronic music along with rock and a little hip hop. Here are my ten favorites:

Big Things Poppin’ – TI
Under the Knife – Rise Against
Ready Steady Go – Paul Oakenfold
Starting Over – The Crystal Method
Push It – Rick Ross
Move – Thousand Foot Krutch
The Fighter – The Gym Class Heroes
Prayer – Disturbed
False Pretense – Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Hall of Fame – The Script

200 Bewbs October 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm

all of these songs are horrible in the context of working out. except metallica. just sayin