AoM Month of Sandwiches Day #15: Grilled Cheese With a Raspberry Twist

by Brett on April 19, 2013 · 13 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

finished

Welcome to Day #15 of the AoM sandwich project. Last month we asked readers for their best sandwich recommendations. Out of 483 submissions, we picked 20 to highlight here on the site each weekday during the month of April. At the end, we’ll publish all the entries into an epic man-sandwich cookbook. Enjoy.

Today’s Sandwich: The Grilled Cheese with a Twist by Luke

One of my criteria for picking which sandwiches to highlight this month was whether the sandwich moved me out of my personal sandwich comfort zone. That’s why I picked this grilled cheese submission from Luke. It has a cheese I’m not all that familiar with (muenster) and it mixes raspberry preserves, pecans, and green onions together. If I saw this on a menu at a restaurant, I wouldn’t give it a second look because of its weirdness and move right on to the meatier offerings. Here’s to expanding gastronomical horizons. Let’s see how Luke’s sandwich pans out.

Ingredients

ingredients

• Bread (I used sourdough)
  • Butter
  • Raspberry preserves (homemade is best, but Smuckers will do)
  • 4 slices of muenster cheese
  • Chopped pecans
  • Green onions

Step 1: Chop Green Onion

greenonion

Step 2: Butter Bread

butter

Step 3: Layer Cheese

cheese

Make sure to layer the cheese on the side that’s not buttered.

Step 4: Spread Raspberry Preserve on the Other Slice of Bread

rasberry

Step 5: Add Chopped Pecans

pecans

Step 6: Add Chopped Green Onion

toponion

Step 7: Grill

grill

Finished Product

finished

Taster’s Notes

tasting

Sweet baby Teddy Roosevelt. This is one of the best sandwiches I’ve tasted during the month. All the flavors go together perfectly. Every bite has the right mixture of sweetness and umami. No one flavor overpowers the other. Also, muenster is my new favorite cheese. I can’t wait to make this again.

1 Brandon April 19, 2013 at 3:15 pm

That looks tasty! Also, “Sweet baby Teddy Roosevelt” has just become my new favorite exclamation.

2 Matthew April 19, 2013 at 5:31 pm

“Sweet baby Teddy Roosevelt!” has to be one of the greatest exclamations I have heard. Also, thank you for sharing the sandwich.

3 CanadianDad April 19, 2013 at 6:49 pm

This sounds/looks DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

4 Eric April 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm

This was INCREDIBLE!! Made it tonight, and it is now one of my favorite things

5 Mladen April 21, 2013 at 11:01 am

YES! Just made this.
Used a Foreman grill and walnuts, but made up for it with grandma home-made preserves.
Thank you, this was delicious, made my day brighter. :)

6 Erik April 21, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I’d skip the jelly and go with raspberry enlightenment from penzey’s. Not a jam, but very good and would work well on this sandwich.

7 abrowncoat April 21, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I’ve been bookmarking some of the other sandwiches figuring I will try them sometime. This one is so crazy but simple that I tried it right away. I can’t believe how good it is. Even my wife, who normally doesn’t want anything to do with grilled cheese in any form, took a bite and asked for her own.

8 Ryan April 22, 2013 at 2:40 am

I always forget most people don’t know what Muenster cheese is. Muenster on a roll in the microwave is one of the simplest and best things in the world.

Can’t wait to try this one.

9 Rob April 22, 2013 at 9:50 am

We had this for dinner Friday night. Brilliant! It was great! It went into the permanent line-up. Definitely one of the best sandwiches I have had in a long time.

10 Nick April 22, 2013 at 1:16 pm

This sounds fantastic! The only thing that I might change is putting a little less pecans on it, that looked pretty full.

Other than that, it looked great!

11 Lance April 22, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Man I’m such a traditionalist when it comes to grilled cheese that I can barely think to try a different kind. But I’m going to branch out on this one and take your taster’s notes to heart and give this one a try.

12 Jessica April 23, 2013 at 4:12 pm

This looks similar to my favorite of brie and raspberry jam and it sounds similarly delicious. I suspect the green onions add a nice flavor accent.

13 Kevan April 23, 2013 at 4:49 pm

This reminds me of the time someone made me a pickle and cream cheese sandwich, because it looks batshit crazy, but tastes amazing. Kudos for being what is bound to be the most original sandwich on this list. Might try it when I get home!