No More Tangled Extension Cords: How to Wrap Up Your Extension Cord Like a Contractor

by Brett on April 18, 2013 · 79 comments

in DIY Home Maintenance, Manly Skills

header

Do your extension cords look like this when you’re unraveling them, no matter how nicely they were wrapped up?

upset

Today I’m going to show you a tip that will banish tangled and knotted extension cords from your life. It’s called the Contractor’s Wrap, and I learned it from a Boy Scout leader who worked as an HVAC man back when my mustache was merely peach fuzz.

Here’s how it works.

Step 1: Connect the Male and Female Ends Together

connect

Step 2: Make an Overhand Knot at the End

overhandknot

Step 3: Make a Chain of Successive Slip Knots

grab

Put your hand through the loop of the overhand knot that you just made and grab the two strands of cord beneath it.

pullthrough copy

Pull the two strands through the loop and form another loop.

loops1

Put your hand through the loop that you just made. Grab the two strands of cord beneath it, and pull it through the loop to form another loop. Repeat until you get to the end of the cord.

Step 4: Tie Off the End

finish knot

When you reach the doubled-over end of the cord (top image), you’ll want to pull it through your last loop to form an overhand knot.

Finished Product

finishedsinlg

Your finished product should look something like this. Just hang it up to store.

Unraveling

unravel

To unravel your extension cord, pull out the end to undo the overhand knot you finished with and then just keep pulling. Because you have a chain of successive slip knots, it will all just magically unravel without any tangling.

Doubling Up for Longer Cords

doubleup

If you have an extension cord that’s 50 feet or longer, I recommend doubling up your cord. Instead of pulling two strands through your loops, you’ll have four. It’s important that you grab and pull through all four strands when making your loops

doublefinish2

Finished doubled-up Contractor’s Wrap.

1 Curtis April 18, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Yeah, it’s a great method …if you want to be buying new extension cords all the time! Sure, it is how contractors wrap their cords, but a simple loose loop repeated and tied at the top with string will make your cords last a lot longer.

2 Captain Colon April 18, 2013 at 9:36 pm

You just completely changed life as I know it :O

3 Nolan April 18, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I would also like to point out that this is a great way wrap climbing rope for storage, especially if it is left as a top rope in a climbing gym.

4 Felix April 18, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I prefer using the over-under method.
The benefits to this is that it doesn’t depend on knots that squeezes cables into a tight bend (prolonging the conductors’ lifespan), preserves the twisting of the conductors and it uncoils without kinking very very easily.

5 Hubert April 18, 2013 at 9:49 pm

This needs a video dudes, a real good one. Step by step.

6 Michel Sylvestre April 18, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Fantastic! I needed this so bad. Thanks!

7 Brian April 18, 2013 at 10:13 pm

I’ve actually always wanted to know how to do this. Thanks!

8 Bill Koch April 18, 2013 at 10:22 pm

If any recent article on this site cries out for a video, this is one of them.

9 Scott N. April 18, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I had no Idea other people did this. It’s the same thing as crocheting and that’s where I stole it from.

10 Kory April 18, 2013 at 10:45 pm

The “Daisy chain” is what we called this in the military. It’s also the name of a way to deploy a paracute on a static line, but I never had the balls or stupidity to try the latter version.

11 Sam B April 18, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Actually, if you start at the “bight” (where the cord is folded in half) and not with the plugs, it’s more efficient. You can unplug the male from the female and unravel only as much as you need. Eg., a 50′ cable can stay 80% wrapped if you only need a 10′ stretch. Handy dandy.

12 Sam B April 18, 2013 at 10:58 pm

It’s more efficient to start wrapping from the “bight” (where the cable folds in half) rather than the plugs. That way you finish with the plugs, and you only ever have to unravel as much as you need, not the whole cable. Simply unplug the male from the female, and unwrap the required amount. Then if you only need a 10′ stretch from a 50′ extension cord, you leave 80% of it still coiled.

Although, as others have stated, this is really bad for the copper in the cable. Over-Under is the only way to look after extension cords, it’s extremely fast once you get the hang of it, and it never gets tangled.

13 Michael Duff April 18, 2013 at 11:01 pm

My dad tried to teach me this after he saw the method I was using to store (much shorter) computer cords.

My method was:

Wrap cord around arm to form loose circle.

Stuff cord into Zip Loc bag.

Stack bags in large plastic container.

I’m not saying my method is better, but the old network cords I bagged still work, while the ones with tight knots in them have developed a variety of unpredictable shorts.

14 Amanda April 18, 2013 at 11:12 pm

My husband is a builder / sawyer / and contractor, and indeed – this is how he has been wrapping his cords for years!
I’ve never known how he does it.. only that it’s extremely slick.
(and I have to say that the life of your cord has more to do with the flexibility of it / rigidness of the plastic coating.. much like the quality of a garden hose..
I’ve learned as a carpenter’s wife that there are extension cords that are just not worth owning.)

15 Ted April 18, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I agree with Felix on this one, while the pictured method looks better, over under is healthier for the cord and the only method for electricians and gaffers

16 Bill C. April 18, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Yup, I am in fact a HVAC contractor myself and this is indeed how I wrap my cords. As far as longevity of the cord goes, I can see that in theory, but haven’t seen it in practice. Maybe if you’re going to wrap up a cord and it’s going to sit there for six months before you unwrap it again, but if you’re unwrapping and wrapping every day, shouldn’t be a problem.

17 Andrew April 19, 2013 at 12:03 am

That’s better than wrapping it around your elbow and praying for the best, but the Over-Under method is much better for the cord, as a couple of people have said before me. (See the YouTube link shared by Felix).

I should note one point of weakness in Over-Under that beginners often have trouble with: If you unravel a wrapped cord the wrong way, you can end up with a knot at every yard or so. This is prevented by 1) tying it tightly with string or velcro and 2) unraveling it in the same direction as it was wrapped.

18 Michael G April 19, 2013 at 12:07 am

You sir have a fantastically bad ass mustache.

19 TheVillain April 19, 2013 at 12:44 am

Felix is correct, and Ted is correct for agreeing with him. This method may look snazzy (or ‘slick’, as Amanda puts it), but it’s not good for the cable.
Anyone who’s ever worked on a movie set – hell, any kid who’s been through a basic video production class – knows how to over/under a stinger.

20 Peter April 19, 2013 at 12:48 am

I’d be OK doing this with power cables, although then hanging them by the bight sounds like an unreasonable strain.

For signal cables like the ethernet cable I use a fair bit of, I’d prefer over-under. And any self-respecting sound engineer would yell at you if you tried to do this with any of their cables.

21 Doug April 19, 2013 at 1:27 am

Over-under is always the best. Will make cords/cables last longer. Won’t get tangled or twisted. Click on youtube video in Felix’s post

22 Mike April 19, 2013 at 1:36 am

Another vote for the over/under coil here. The big downside to it is that if an end gets passed through the coils, you get some nicely spaced overhand knots in the cable when you uncoil it.
I think the potentially shortened lifespan of the shown method probably depends on how tight the bights are pulled and if anything is done to compress the bights in storage (i.e. dropping tools on top of the bundled cable)

23 Kevin Daley April 19, 2013 at 7:16 am

My alternative method:

1. Loop the extension cord around the thing and—
2. OH NO I just started an electrical fire
3. Panic.

24 Sean April 19, 2013 at 7:30 am

When I took gliding this is how we stored our tow ropes at the end of the day. I’ve tried it with electrical and network cables but the bend radius is too tight for my liking.

25 G. Morty Ortega April 19, 2013 at 8:06 am

HA! This is called crochet when done with yarn.
Mountaineers learn this, as well as knitting, for making nets and stronger lengths of ropes.

26 Luke April 19, 2013 at 8:28 am

I’ve worked in film production for a while, and while I’ve seen contractors use this method, film and video professionals never wrap extension cords this way (called ‘stingers’ in film production). Just like said before, it’s really hard on the cable and it destroys the natural curl by twisting the wires inside the sheath. The over-under method keeps the cable lasting far longer and also looking like-new for years.

27 Hope April 19, 2013 at 9:15 am

I think I’ve made a sweater this way – with yarn, of course!

28 Bart April 19, 2013 at 9:30 am

This method is also used with climbing ropes, never thought about using it for the extension chord though!

29 Bryan April 19, 2013 at 9:40 am
30 Tim April 19, 2013 at 10:13 am

Wrapping cable like an audio engineer is probably a better solution. After wrapping 100′s of feet of cable every day, they’ve figured out arguably the best way.

31 chris April 19, 2013 at 1:10 pm

use the butterfly coil for ropes and leads it twists it less and is easier to feed.

32 yosh April 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Some call it a daisy chain, yes, but the proper term is chain sinnet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_sinnet

33 Jordan April 19, 2013 at 3:03 pm

We use this same technique with our lighting gear on set… that and those handy self-attaching velcro ties!

34 Nick G April 19, 2013 at 3:50 pm

We do this all the time at the dropzone with G-12 parachute risers that are easily 50′.

35 caesar April 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Tenkiu compadre!

36 Wes April 19, 2013 at 5:32 pm

If you do this and don’t in coil it everyday when you finally do unwrap it the out sheath (orange part) will crack and break off.
Guys doing this to Climbing rope guys look into a ranger coil same concept lots less time than doing this for a 50-70m rope.

37 john April 19, 2013 at 5:47 pm

My extension cords are ten years or so some newer dome younger but be end daisy chaining nice and loose no problems some are starting to dry rot on the insulation but that’s to be expected on cords with PVC insulation.

38 Stever April 19, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Back in 1967 this is the knot my sailing instructor taught me to use when tying up my little 8 foot sailboat at the dock for a few moments. Held the boat securely, but quickly came undone when you were ready to leave. I never knew this knot had application elsewhere.

39 Josh April 19, 2013 at 9:56 pm

As a former DJ, I guess I assumed this common knowledge. I’ve been rolling mine on my shoulder and elbow for years and had velcro tie-downs on the cords to hold them in place.

40 Matt April 19, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I have to agree with Tony on this one. I worked in audio production for a time. the professional standard for cable wrapping is the over-under method. works like a charm when you have literally miles of various cables to pack up after a gig. I’m sure you can find a how to on youtube.

41 Andrew April 20, 2013 at 10:25 am

Am amused at how many fellow Set Lighting Techs are participating in the comments section :)

42 Sam B April 20, 2013 at 11:17 am

I’ve used sinnets as spring lines on sail boats before when there’s wasn’t much “give” in the rope, and the sinnet shortens the line, and adds a lot of elasticity to it, as well.

43 Core April 20, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Hmm.. That was a more involved way of putting up an extension-cord.

I normally just spool mine into a circle on the floor and hang it up.

Although admittingly I put one of those extension cord manager type thing on amazon wishlist. You know where you wrap it around this little plastic device that you can hang up.

44 Eric April 21, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Seems a little much. I use:

45 Tom April 21, 2013 at 7:17 pm

It’s an interesting method and certainly looks fancy, but I have to imagine that that many tight bends in a cord couldn’t be good for it, as other comments have already said.
I’ve never had trouble with looping it under my elbow and over my thumb (well, the crook between thumb and index finger). I’ve got cords older than I am that have always been wrapped how I described and they have no problems at all.

46 Steve April 22, 2013 at 10:46 am

I love your site but I have to strongly disagree with your extension cord stowage method. I think the key to remember here is that contractors are using top of the line stuff and using it a lot. This means a) it’s going to take more abuse and b) it’s going to be replaced more frequently than you’re average weekend warrior’s extension cord.

Firstly, this method is going to wriggle around the wires inside the sheath too much as well as put too many tight bends in the cord. The result will be stretched, broken, or pulled outer sheath as well as unnecessary fatigue on the actual wire inside. We’ve all seen those cords where the outer sheath is pulling away from the cord end, leaving the inner wires unprotected in a high stress area as well as those cords that seem to be permanently wrinkled. In short, it will stress your cord far more than necessary, significantly shortening it’s lifespan and perhaps creating a danger.

Secondly, I have heard that plugging your cords end into the other end can shorten their life as well. Something about electrons being given a path to travel or some such thing. I never leave one end of a cord plugged into the other for this reason. Might be hearsay but better safe than sorry.

The way I stow cords is the way I coil rope on my sailboat. Hang the cord in your left hand, create a loop with your right hand and lay it over your left hand. Twist the cord a quarter turn to make it hang nicely with every wrap. Having said this, I plan on moving to the over-under method as something with a stiff sheathing doesn’t spool off as easily in this method. We do it this way in sailboats so that rope can come off the top of the coil easily without pulling the whole coil off into a mess. This brings me to my next point…

You shouldn’t leave a cord in a coil while in use if you use this method, especially up into the higher voltages. Think about a heating element or an electromagnet: a coil of wire. I learned this the hard way. You can generate heat this way and throw breakers.

The worst thing you can do to a cord (or a rope for that matter) is to wrap it around your elbow as we’re all shown. This tends to put a lost of twist into the sheath of the rope. This is bad. It’s much better to coil things hanging.

Lastly, the best and easiest way I’ve seen cord hung is to coil it (using the over-under method) and then use a short length of thin rope with a loop in both ends. The rope only needs to be about a foot long if that. Use a bowline for the ends. You then lay the cord onto the rope, slip one end of the rope through the other bowline, and then hang it from the free bowline on a hook or nail. It is super simple and puts no strain on the wire.

47 Lance April 22, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I think you ought to throw a quick video tutorial up on YouTube. That way you can show how fast and easy it is both for storage and unraveling for use.

48 Dave April 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm

@Josh – Yup. I think that’s the simplest and best way too. When I used to work concerts that’s how we always wrapped up cords – grab one end and start wrapping hand to elbow in one loop and then use a velcro tie or something when yer done.

49 Nicholas April 22, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Normally I’m with you on the how-to’s but I’m with the others on this one. As a lighting tech on the road and at venues it’s always over-under. If not, the cord could get bent in awkward places and make it harder to coil the next time or worse could short the entire cable. If you ruin 100′ of socapex you may as well tell them to keep your next paycheck.

50 Richard April 23, 2013 at 6:07 am

A different method for each task. This is good for extension cords, but like Felix I prefer the over-under method.
I do computer networking as well as helping with my church’s sound and lighting. An over-under bundle can be thrown like a lasso and will virtually never tangle. (Your mileage may vary)

51 Peter April 23, 2013 at 1:21 pm

This is an attractive method but fairly crude and hard on the cords. The shoulder-to-elbow method is obviously not an option but if you loop it up in 3′ loops giving the cord a 1/2 twist on each loop, the cords become trained and stay relaxed. One plug will stay on one side of the loops while the other stays on the opposite side. To unroll it I hold on to one end of the cord and chuck the roll as hard as I can giving it a little spin. The loops unravel in the air leaving me a nicely streched out cord on the ground.

52 Kevan April 23, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Does anyone have a video of the OVER-UNDER that seems to be a really popular alternative?

53 Carl Monster April 23, 2013 at 9:01 pm

This assumes knowledge of making knots to begin with. Since I lack the intelligence to figure out knot illustrations I’ll stick to making one huge loop and praying it will behave when extended.

54 BoloMKXXVIII April 24, 2013 at 11:04 am

This method was originally used on climbing rope. Used it 30 years ago. Use a reel now for extension cords.

55 Biff Turkle April 27, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Yeah, don’t ever do that.. I am an electrical contractor, and this method always makes me cringe. Do this:
Start at the female end. Put end in right hand. draw the cord through your left hand, while moving your right arm to the right, until your arms are outstretched. Then bring both arms in and make a coil. repeat. When done apply electrical tape at top of loop. Your cords will thank you! Don’t have any tape? A good electrician ALWAYS has tape. Go tie knots then.

56 Kat April 28, 2013 at 10:59 am

Kevin – This is over-under: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPcJD7RVuY

I’ve been working as a production tech (audio/video/lighting) for most of my life and I am almost completely incapable of coiling a cable any other way now. Stick a velcro tie on one end to wrap around the completed coil, and you won’t find an easier way to bundle a cable in the world.

57 Zane April 28, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I like to fold in half , then half , half etc until I can get it to the smallest fold I call still pull a half hitch through. To release , pull the bight end and its all folded in half.

58 Nihil Obstinate April 29, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Seeing as how many brothers from IATSE have chimed in, I shall represent the IBEW.
I was a paratrooper when I wore a younger man’s clothes, and I can tell you that this is the way that most parachutes are rigged. And, as they say, nine out of ten troopers don’t get dead.
Now I work for an electrical utility and I have used sinnets for years at work and at home. The important thing to remember is that you are looping the cord, you are not cinching it tightly. I roll everything this way and I have personally never noticed any increase in wear over butterflied or over-and-undered cords.
** Warning technical content **
The reason that the audio-visual technicians are concerned with wire creep is because their cables have a dielectric that creates a consistent impedance throughout the length of the cable. If this dielectric is disturbed the uneven impedance will act as a filter and change the original signal. Electrical cable is designed to work from 40-100 Hz and is only carrying an oscillating power signal. It only has insulation, and the insulation will only fail when it has been worn away to the point where the voltage can jump from one conductor to the other shorting it out (Hi-Pot).
As far as connecting the male and female connectors together is concerned that is called a ground loop. Realistically, unless you are working around very high voltage (i.e. 220kV) or near a microwave transmitter, you will never generate enough ground current to hurt the copper in the extension cord. If you do it will be easy to tell. Have you ever felt how hot the cord on your vacuum cleaner is after you clean your house? If your extension cord is hanging on the wall and it is that hot, you have a problem.

59 Lucas May 2, 2013 at 1:29 pm

This method is much fast to wrap and unwrap

60 Brian May 2, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Admit it, you had fun throwing the tangled cord all over yourself.

61 Jared May 6, 2013 at 10:04 am

Is that a throwback Tulsa Oilers ballcap?

62 Fadhli May 8, 2013 at 2:04 am

It’s much better to do a lap coil instead of the daisy chain. Daisy chains are messy and take of much more space than a lap coil. Imagine to have to uncoil 200m of wire length.

63 Zync May 9, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Not a good idea. There is still current running through the cord even after it’s been unplugged. Eventually you’ll start a fire.

64 Lucy Lastik May 23, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Sorry fellas, but this method is a TOTAL no-no with OSHA.

Do NOT carry, have available, or wrap up your extension cords like this when OSHA inspectors are around. Those little weasels will fine you, or your employer, on the spot. If you do get busted, make sure – and they will ask – that you tell them that yes, your employer trained you in the correct method.
If you weren’t trained, there will be a fine (7500.00 min) for the offense, and another 7500.00 for failing to train you.

This isn’t a joke. OSHA is not a nice outfit.

65 Victor May 29, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Isnt it dangerous to have an extension cord plugged into itself? Something about it holding a charge and it can loop around and burn through the insulation?….

66 bradley June 1, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is this not just a daisy chain. Like what is used in packing parachutes.

67 Brennan June 4, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I have been building for 30 years and have wrapped a few cords in that time. This is a good method of keeping cords , but you missed a major point. With the demonstrated approach, you have to unchain the entire length to be able to plug it in. If you mark the center of the cord with a loop of electrical tape, and start chaining there, you end at the plugs. Then you can unravel as much length as you need. It is rare that you play out an entire 50 foot cord. Pull out whatever length of cord is needed, keep the rest chained.and keep the site tidy, and save yourself a bit of work.

68 Chuck June 5, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I personally over/under every chord I wrap, as it works and keeps the cords from getting twisted. This method should only be used for heavy duty extension chords. And like Brennan said, start from the middle, not the ends, it will make like easier.

Properly “over/under”ing a cable can be wrapped and unwrapped with no knots faster than this method. A properly rolled cable can be thrown out and should fall with no tangle, or the coil can set on the ground and be pulled to length as needed with out tangling.

69 Brian Manning June 6, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I agree with some of the comments that this is not the best way to wrap up an extension cord.

A better method is to simply use the arm at a 90 degree bend and instead of wrapping in a circle, wrap in a figure 8 pattern, back and forth from elbow to hand. Repeat as necessary.

This gives you a nice tight cord wrap, no kinks or tight bends, and it will not get tangled.

Next time you go to use it, you take it off the shelf or hook and set it on the ground. Simply grab one end and walk it to where you need it and watch it just unravel like it’s on a spindle.

70 Mark June 16, 2013 at 9:21 am

This method is fine for rope but will tear up copper after a while…especially ethernet or really small gauge cable. Being a sound engineer for the last 15 years over-under method definitely keeps your cables lasting longest…When rolling large cable (audio snake, feeder etc.) you can over under on the ground in a pile or we often figure 8 feeder cable.

71 Martin June 16, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I’d echo the comments above; don’t do this to your cables as it will age them prematurely. I use the under/over technique.
For very long or heavy weight cables, use the figure eight method. Biff above has mentioned securing coils of cable with tape and that’s fine, but the glue tends to leave residue that collects dirt. I prefer to use releasable cable ties like these:

Avoid buying the type of releasable tie with the little thumb tab – they’re expensive and difficult to undo when tight.

72 Mike June 19, 2013 at 11:43 am

+1 on the figure of eight. I use the ‘Daisy Chain’ for rope a lot, (though it is best on braided rope, ‘laid’ rope tend to come get messed up). For cable, it’s too harsh on the cores, with the tight bends. Coiling without a figure of eight twists the cores up, (mom’s do this with vacuum cleaners all the time – I’ve changed a few cables out where the insides were a tight twist, built up over the years).

If you are working outdoors a lot, they type of cabel we call ‘arctic’ in Europe will make your life much easier – it stays flexible down to low temperatures.

73 Frank July 8, 2013 at 7:46 am

Ive never seen so many people complain about the conductors inside a extension cord before. In case you arent aware they are stranded copper and wrapping up a cord like this isnt going to “hurt” them like you all think what does “hurt” them is all you weekend home owner warriors that 1 buy to small of a gauge cord i.e. 14awg and plug in your little hedge trimmers and weed wackers and over load the max amount of amps a 14awg wire can handle. So I’d suggest at the very least you use 12awg which can handle more amps and is just a much better purchase in my opinion
14 gauge wire is rated to handle a max of 15a not taking into consideration voltage drop and etc….
And 12 gauge wire is rated at 20a max and not taking into consideration voltage drop and etc……

74 Nick July 19, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Looks great, but it makes the sound techie in me die a little on the inside… I’ll have to keep this in mind for rope though

75 Bill West July 23, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Over-under sucks for extension cords, and makes lots of knots if the end of the cord gets put through the loops – which it always does on an electrical cord. It’s also a lot more tiring to wrap on long, heavy cables, as you have to hold the whole coil in your free hand. The method shown lets you lay the already completed portion on the ground. Just keeps the loops big and the bends are not so tight as to compromise the cable itself.

76 Will Malven August 27, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Folks, once a cord has been disconnected from the power source, there is no more current.

You are not going to have a fire if you use this technique, or if you plug your male and female ends together.

Simply put, current doesn’t flow without something to drive it . . . no power connection, no flow.

77 David November 27, 2013 at 9:06 am

I am a Master Electrician. I do not store my cords in a chain. I tried it years ago and absolutely – do not like how it works. For me, the best way to store a cord, is to coil it up in a loop, while holding it in one hand. A proper coiled loop will hang nicely, unravel easily, and store in a smaller space. I have no problem with keeping the ends plugged into each other as long as there is no strain on the plugs from the weight of the cords when hung. Think about how wire is coiled. We buy it in rolls not chains, so why would we think chaining cord is a better than rolling or coiling

78 Dan March 10, 2014 at 10:10 am

Everyone espousing the over/under method: yes, it is better for audio and lighter gauge cords. However, go ahead and try that method with 12/3 exention cord. There’s no way in h311 you can twist the cord with each loop and keep the internal wiring straight.

79 Ted S April 7, 2014 at 10:51 pm

There is a better way! Plug the ends together as you do-THEN double the ends of the loops together, repeatedly until you have a bundle about 4′ long, -then tie the ends into a loose overhand knot. The advantage of this method is that the cord-line will seldom tangle when the knot (only 1) is untied and the line is thrown out. This also works with rope. Try it. You’ll like it.