5 Ways Strength Training Will Make You Man Up

by Brett and Kate McKay on February 1, 2008 · 34 comments

in Health & Sports

heman.png

Brett asked me to make an article about strength training and how it relates to manliness. Great topic, because strength training is all about that. Here are 5 ways strength training will make you man up.

1. Confidence.
The stronger you are, the more muscles you’ll have. The more muscles you have, the more calories you’ll burn. Strength training will build muscle while lowering your body fat. You’ll look & feel better.

What you achieve will inspire you in other areas of your life. Success breeds success. You’ll feel more confident about yourself & what you can do. And that’s the number one personality trait that defines men: confidence.

2. Testosterone.
Strength training & weight lifting increases your testosterone levels. Increased testosterone means more muscles, a lower body fat and an increased libido. Testosterone is the Man hormone.

No need to buy fancy supplements to increase your testosterone levels. Just go to the gym & do a simple 3x30mins/week routine like StrongLifts 5×5.

3. Responsibility.
You want money: work. You want girls: approach them. You want to build muscle & lose fat: pay your dues at the gym. Strength training teaches you to be responsible for your own future.

4. Hobby.

5. Cave-man.

Exercise is substitute cave-man activity. – Mark Rippetoe.

Once you’re doing heavy sets of Squats & Deadlifts you’ll understand what Rippetoe means. Strength training will wake up something inside you. Something that in many people lies dormant: being a man.

This post was submitted by Mehdi of StrongLifts.com. Check out his site for more info about the Bench Press, Barbell Row, Pull-ups & building a home gym.

If you liked this article, please bookmark it on del.icio.us or vote for it on Digg. Mehdi would appreciate it.

Subscribe to Art of Manliness by RSS or email to get your FREE guide to being a gentleman in 2008.

1 Christian February 1, 2008 at 6:17 am

Great article. It’s blunt and to the point. I’m sick of hearing people write about the latest version of the bench press or the new cardio device that’s gonna save you hours of workout time and get you cut! None of it matters. All you need to do is knuckle down and do the work required.

Christian

2 Rob February 1, 2008 at 1:01 pm

“Strength training teaches you to be responsible for your own future.”

Exactly. Great post.

3 Jason February 1, 2008 at 1:18 pm

“Testosterone is the Man hormone.”

So true. You’ll be surprised how much more you’ll feel like a man when you strength train. You’ll look better and you’re filled with confidence. Getting women is a great plus.

4 mike February 2, 2008 at 1:10 am

Take responsibility for your body, take responsibility for you life. Excellent post!

5 Callum February 16, 2008 at 1:26 pm

good article, but to lose weight and build up muscles, you don’t need to go to the gym, just buy some dungbells and go for 1/2 hour walks. It works.

6 Kate February 16, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Dungbells? Ewww, I wouldn’t want to get my hands on those. :)

7 Charles Skinner March 26, 2008 at 8:23 pm

GREAT POST, as a football player and a avid lifter, i could not agree more. being strong feels great. it has turned me into a man. SAVE YOURSELF and go work out!

8 rigan July 6, 2008 at 2:06 pm

great advise youve given. thanks. hopefully i could reach the ultimate physique by my 20′s ; )

9 nomercy89 July 9, 2008 at 5:42 pm

great article!
and great site too, i love how it’s to the point and isn’t loaded w/ commercial bullcrap!
keep up the good work guys!

10 Jorge July 20, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Thank you for this informative and much needed article on manliness. I have been struggling with being more masculine since I’ve lost quite a bit of testesterone from age. Have not been to a gym for years. Your article has inspired me to join and begin my new life as a MAN> Thank you.

11 opeongo66 August 22, 2008 at 6:17 pm

“4. Hobby. Smoking pot, drinking beer, playing video games, … Those can all be fun, but they’re not rewarding in the long-term. Get a real hobby. Lift weights, build muscle, lose the belly, get stronger.”

Can’t I smoke the pot AND life weights? They are not mutually exclusive.

12 Alexander October 20, 2008 at 4:57 am

@opeongo66

“Winners don’t do drugs.”

13 yannicus November 20, 2008 at 12:58 am

Originally Posted By Alexander@opeongo66

“Winners don’t do drugs.”

@Alexander

No, “winners” drink like fish, spray each other with Champagne in strange phallic rituals, and, ultimately, seem pitiful in their knowledge that they have “won” an ascetic, frustrated existence… Testosterone is a drug, btw, ever look at carrot top?

Manliness and jock mentality are not equivalent, stop suggesting they are.

14 james March 4, 2009 at 12:06 pm

“manlinness and jock mentality” I don’t believe the article was saying anything about having a jock mentality just that strength training increases your testosterone thus increasing your energy, libido, and confidence. I absolutely agree.

15 opeongo66 May 31, 2009 at 7:25 am

“Winners don’t do drugs.” Really? So, Ted Turner was a failure. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson too. The list goes on. How about all those pharmaceutical companies and the Doctors who prescribe these toxins? I guess America is filled with losers. Now lets see if there is a “winner” who came to America as an immigrant speaking no English and with a near unpronounceable name. Someone who has also smoked pot on film, but unlike some poor black person in Texas who would go to jail for years for the same “offence” became the Governor of your most populace state in the country. Need I say more. The pot myths are dying on the vine so to speak. Ever seen a fist fight among pot smokers? How about drunks? I rest my case.

16 Dave June 21, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I’ve been doing StrongLifts 5×5 for 2 weeks now and can attest that going from zero lifting to this point is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

And I’m liking the way my wife is looking at me now too. Not that she looked down at me before, but it’s… better… more manly… :)

17 man_o December 21, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Do doubt about it, heavy weight training will change you from a dud to a stud. Forget about the silly balance balls, and quit reading the metro/bi-sexual Men’s Health fitness routines. Stick with old fashioned barbells and compound power movements for serious testosterone release!

18 Isaac December 22, 2009 at 12:49 am

Mark Rippletoe is an idiot. Nippletoe, Stuart McRobert, Ellington Darden, and the rest of the HIT nutjobs can suck one.

Brooks Kubik is where’s it’s at. If you want to know ANYTHING about old-school strength training, the way the old-timers did it, pick up Dinosaur Training. It’s hard as nails and will make you the same.

And yes, America is filled with losers. Some winners, but mostly losers.

19 Eow January 4, 2010 at 11:50 am

Did you just say Mark Rippetoe is an idiot?

Wtf?

20 T.B. January 20, 2010 at 3:56 pm

R.I.P. Joe Rolino. This 104-year-old strongman from Coney Island was run over by a car.

That said, long live dead lifts. And the military press. And squats.

21 Jogi January 26, 2010 at 7:36 am

@ TB and Isaac,
Amen to that brothers…

22 Chris March 21, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Solid advice and a tip of the hat to the Rippetoe reference. After a 20 year career in swimming ended after college for me I sought out a real strength training program (read not aerobic or bodybuilding but strength). I found Mark Rippetoe’s starting strength and Dave Tate’s Elite Fitness to be some of the best resources available. Nice to see it referenced here.

23 Giovanni June 10, 2010 at 2:08 am

There is so much ignorance and disinformation on food it is ridiculous.

100 percent natural is the way to go and you don’t need to spend hours in the gym.

Mensworkoutguide dot com is a great place to get free, no bullshit workout routines. I simply write one down (takes 5 minutes) and presto: I have my 35-45 minute workout for the week.

NaturalNews dot com is a great place to learn about food and how pussy fat cats are trying to control our food through legislation. Campaign for Liberty dot com is another great place.

Research Tabata training and high intensity interval training (HIIT). This is how you build muscle and lose fat. I also would like to mention P90X as one of the greatest things I’ve ever tried. It’s tough and it works.

As for the beer: Alcohol raises your estrogen levels and gives you empty calories. I think the article was written to elaborate on moderation as opposed to total elimination of fun times, like pot and beer.

24 Powerlifter July 9, 2010 at 1:12 am

Whoever called Rippetoe an idiot is probably weak as sh**

25 Bulent Bingol August 2, 2010 at 10:02 am

issac, the guy who called rippletoe an idiot obviously doesn’t know his ass from his elbow.

26 Magno January 7, 2013 at 12:52 pm

great post

27 Jack B. January 15, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Very good article with very simple and valid points. A word of caution. It can’t be said enough. Check with your Dr.. Heavy lifting puts strain on your heart which can potently cause thick heart walls that reduce the amount of blood it is able to pump, causing it to work harder. High blood pressure and heavy lifting are not always good partners.
Also, the author of Stonglifts is unrelenting in that his way is the only way. If you deviate from it you are a moron and he will most certainly call you one if you question him. All that being said, it’s a great site with very good info. You WILL become stronger and leaner by following the simple exercise program he lays out. Good luck and Carpe Ferum!

28 Bob P January 17, 2013 at 6:12 am

Good article. I’m 65 and started Stronglifts 5×5 last year with weights and a squat rack made of 2×6″ boards. I’m now doing squat workouts with 225-235 lbs, deadlifts @ 255 lbs, bent rows at 155 lbs, etc. The bench press and overhead press sessions are much lighter due to shoulder problems but making progress on those also. I feel better, have gained a lot of muscle (my wife has mentioned it) naturally even though my blood serum T was deemed at the bottom of the normal range. You don’t need a gym membership to do all this, just get some weights and put together a squat rack for that important core training.

29 Anthony February 13, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Dumbells and barbells can be fun for variety but are an unnecessary expense. A pull-up bar and dip stand are all you need. The pull up bars that hang from your door work perfectly and I have a dip stand which hangs from my pull up bar. Chin ups, pull ups, Australian pull ups, push ups, handstand push ups, bridges, squats and a your choice of a stomach exercise are all you need. Weightless squats getting too easy? Try cranking out a set of pistols. Push ups getting too easy? Try dive bombers or graduating to one arm push ups. At forty, stress and excess weight had me thinking I was beginning to suffer from ED. Exercise and better nutrition has completely reversed that.

30 Kyle February 26, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Good article, but usually the men addicted to lifting are the least fun people to be around. Just exercise and enjoy life, don’t obsess with muscles; women want more than just braun, brains are nice too. Also, beer is shown to be healthy in moderation. Especially good, quality beers.

31 Steve March 3, 2013 at 6:10 pm

The Stronglifts 5×5 Workout lasts much longer than thirty minutes

32 Robert April 2, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Compound lifts are the way to go. You can even start out with body weight if you’re a beginner and move up from there.

33 Roddy May 24, 2013 at 7:19 am

@Robert

Agreed. I recently cut out the unnecessary, isolation bloat to my workouts and compiled a routine of mostly compound lifts. My energy levels have since increased and I’m looking forward to my more frequent workouts knowing they won’t last for nearly two hours and leave me too tired to face the day. I love exercising but there’s a lot more to life.

34 Matt C October 5, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I can agree with this, i was always that little nerdy kid with glasses, braces, and being 5’8 95-100lbs. In other words i was a wimp. Now i dont think i am when im leg pressing 630 and weighing 150 just a year later. It’s helped in just about every aspect of my life and is one of the best things someone can do for themselves to succeed socially and mentally.