The world of Norse mythology and legend is a thoroughly fascinating one, and my guest has captured it in all its compelling mystery in his book which retells those stories, called Tales of Valhalla. His name is Martyn Whittock and today he takes us on a gripping tour of Norse culture and myth.
We begin the show discussing who the Norse people were, and the misconceptions people commonly have about them, including associating them exclusively with Vikings. We also talk about misconceptions about the Vikings themselves, and what it really meant to be a Viking. We then get into why it’s hard to completely recapture Norse myths and rituals as they were originally known. Martyn then unfolds the Norse creation story, offers interesting snapshots of the major Norse gods, including Odin, Thor, and Loki, and explains what Ragnarok was all about. We end our conversation discussing Norse sagas, and how Norse culture continues to influence our modern culture today.
- Who were the Norse? What misconceptions do we have about them?
- The worldwide reach of the Norse people
- What about Vikings? Who were they?
- How do we know about the Norse people and myths?
- Were there rituals or even canons associated with these North myths?
- The Norse take on the creation of the gods and the universe
- Why this mythology is so complex
- The very human traits of the Norse gods
- Short primers on the primary gods and their characters
- Why (and how) Odin came to overshadow the other gods
- The curious and complex nature of Loki the trickster god
- The dark and ever-present shadow of Ragnarok
- What were the sagas of Norse mythology? Why were they written in the first place?
- Influences of Norse mythology in our modern world and culture
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- AoM series on Norse Mythology
- Snorri Sturluson
- The Poetic Edda (link to read it online)
- The Prose Edda (link to read it online)
- The 80 Wisdom Sayings of the Vikings
- Ask and Embla
- Primary Norse gods and goddesses
- Richard Wagner
- How Norse Mythology Influenced Tolkien
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Navy Federal Credit Union. Proud to serve over 8 million members, and open to active duty military, DoD, veterans, and their families. Visit NavyFederal.org/manliness for more information, or call 888-842-6328.
Indochino. Every man needs at least one great suit in their closet. Indochino offers custom, made-to-measure suits for department store prices. Use code “manliness” at checkout to get a premium suit for just $379. Plus, shipping is free.
The Great Courses Plus. Better yourself this year by learning new things. I’m doing that by watching and listening to The Great Courses Plus. Get a free trial by visiting thegreatcoursesplus.com/manliness.
Read the Transcript