Father Saves 6-Year-Old Son by Stabbing Mountain Lion in the Chest With His Pocket Knife

6-year-old Rivers Hobbs was walking with his family at Big Bend National Park in West Texas, when a mountain lion pounced on him. Rivers’ mother tried to hold on to him, but the cat pulled the boy to the ground, clamping its jaws onto his head. That’s when his father, Jason, pulled out his pocket knife and stabbed the mountain lion in the chest, causing the cat to let go and run away. Nice going, dad.

Just another reason every man should carry a pocket knife.

Read the story (myFOXaustin.com)

Hat tip to Steve A. for the link.

Steve Boehm February 9, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Pocket knife. That’s cute. I carry a cutlass and a pistol.

Greg February 9, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Awesome!! I carry a tiny knife though not sure it would do much

YOMorales February 9, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Beware, man above carrying a cutlass.

Jon February 9, 2012 at 7:37 pm

That’s AWESOME! The guy did what needed to be done WHEN it needed to be done. It’s not what you have in your pockets, it’s the guts to use them when the time comes. Well done, Super Dad!!

Trall February 9, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I think the real question the lion was asking is, wtf you all doin in my house??

Alex Spaulding February 9, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Bully for you Dad. The best reason to carry a pocket knife; self defense. Better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it. Good thing he had it.

CL February 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Way to go Dad! There is nothing a parent wouldn’t do to save their child and for the insulting comments above — the job is done, his child is alive and well — and that is all that matters; pocket knife or not, anything to save a child and it worked.

E. Robertson February 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Way to go that chap. Out where I live we have cougars and now wolves: one more reason for me to pack my largest folding knife. 5 1/2 inch blade. But seriously- this guy’s a hero. I hope I have that kind of presence of mind if something like that happens to me.

Julian February 9, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I know that’s a Spyderco knife. Anyone know what the model name is?

Sebastian February 9, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Some years ago in my country, a kid swallowed a tiny bouncing ball and was about to die by suffocation. His dad, with giant balls of steel, grabbed his pocket knife and cutted the neck of his child so he could remove the ball.
Nowadays, the kid is alright, only a huge scar on his neck and a dad with giant balls of steel.

Aaron February 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm

What Steve said. Everyone should carry a knife, but this kind of situation is why you should carry a gun as well. Dad got lucky that the knife killed the lion in time.

Harry February 9, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Wait, this is Texas – where was his gun?

All joking aside, Man Card: VALIDATED.
5-1/2″ folding knife would be illegal for carry in NY, don’t know about elsewhere.

Matt February 9, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Awesome job, Dad! I have a two year old son, and it wouldn’t matter if out was a mountain lion or a bear, if it attacked my son, I’d gut it too.

Pedro February 9, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Judging by the curves in the handle, the position of the pin, and the wire style of pocket clip, I’d say that knife is either a Spyderco Caly or Caly3.5, the new version of the old calypso. Way to go Dad.

Stephen February 9, 2012 at 8:23 pm

:O Awesome!

Jeff February 9, 2012 at 8:24 pm

To answer Julian, I believe it’s a Caly 3 or 3.5 judging from the shape of the handle.

Matt February 9, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Benchmade tanto 3&1/2″, .45 long colt derringer & Glock 21. But any man would have attacked the mountain lion over a kid, even if he had a pencil or less!

Kudo

Will M February 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm

@ Julian it was a caly 3.5 here’s the story from the spyderco forum http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?54132-caly-3-5-vs-mountain-lion

Trooper Wood February 9, 2012 at 8:43 pm

It”s easy to talk a big fight or carry a big weapon. Neither are worth a dime without the love and courage to use whatever you might have to attack and defend.

Big Rick February 9, 2012 at 8:59 pm

damn, thats bad ass!
to the guy talking crap in the first post… youre lame
I can only hope that if that type of situation comes about on my end that i have the balls to do the same…. although, i have seen a car flip into a ditch and saved the person driving that car without even thinking about it so i can only assume that i would kill a lion

Brian February 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Two words… HELL! YEAH!

Brett February 9, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I would say that if you are in that situation and you don’t have a knife or any other weapon, go for the EYES. Stick your finger into that beasts eyes as hard as possible. Another option is to go for the neck, but I think gouging out an eye would have a pretty immediate effect and probably wouldn’t be too difficult.

jw February 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Well it is Texas by god where it is considered common sense to carry something like that in the most remote damn place in the lower 48.
I am telling everyone here that the Big Bend is THE place to put on the list of must see National Parks.

Jeff_F February 9, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Though a cougar can be a mean creature, they usually don’t have their prey pulling weapons, punching and/or kicking them. With the exception of a grizzly or polar bear, most predators will run if you fight back…..prey usually can’t fight back due to their body mechanics.

Nadine Brown February 10, 2012 at 12:05 am

I tease my hubby all the time for carrying a 6″ swing blade with him wherever he goes. This story has threatened to kill all teasing from now on. WTG Dad!

Ardyth February 10, 2012 at 12:50 am

This is exactly how the mountain lions can kill children; they grab the head. A very small child or infant will not be able to breathe or make a sound while the beast drags it away in seconds. You MUST stay alert and keep your eyes on your children at all times when out of doors. Sit in a circle or triangle, always keeping children close enough to grab them. Mom was also a factor in saving the child in her struggle that slowed the animal enough to prevent if from escaping with its meal. I hope the child’s scars reminds him how his parents love him enough to fight for him.

Nick in Shanghai February 10, 2012 at 4:19 am

This kid is going to grow up and have stories to tell.
“I was attacked as a boy by a mountain lion. While it had me by the face, my awesome dad saved me me with THIS VERY SAME KNIFE I carry with me today…. Thank you Dad.”

Ian February 10, 2012 at 10:56 am

Bad animals are bad.

CarryingColoradan February 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Meh… A pocket knife is for those places where you can’t legally carry a gun.

National Forest? Legal.
Texas? (How can it not be legal??)

Seriously, all this guy had was a knife? In TEXAS?? Doesn’t sound like an example of manliness to me. ;^)

Rayce Powell February 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm

hats off to this father, i have been to iraq twice i never go anywhere without at least a good knife !!!

Nick February 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Most people carry a pocket knife to open boxes or what not… I carry one to stab mountain lions! Bravo sir!

Jason February 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Way to go Dad, you never know what your capable of till you faced with a situation like this, where life and limb hang in the balance. I live in Iowa where there have been a few reports of Mountain lions in my area as well as fewer reports of migratory bears. I am an avid hiker, camper, and outdoorsman, I never walk in the woods without a 6″ fixed blade, a tactical folder, and at least 100ft of 800lbs para cord, usaully have a pack with food, water, other emergency supplies and firestarting tools, and this is just to hike since you never know what you may find, or slip and get injured, also since Iowa changed its concealed carry law to a ‘shall issue’ state my .40 Smith and Wesson accompany me now as well.

PromoGeorge February 10, 2012 at 1:57 pm

The fact that he was carrying a pocketknife isn’t the manly part – the fact that he used that knife to kill a predator attacking his child is the manly part!! And from the looks of it, if he didn’t have that knife I bet he would have killed that mountain lion with his bare hands.

Spencer Haley February 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I use my knife for a LOT of things, and I’m glad that if I ever get into any interesting situations, I will probably have it right there on my pocket. – SEO

Scott February 10, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Pocket knife, hell; its why we should carry swords! LOL

Dave February 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Lucky the blade wasn’t too long or they would have arrested dad for an illegal weapon that was consealed!. Then dad goes to jail and child killed!!! OMG.

Miguel February 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm

With a pocket knife? Man this guy had some guts, but it was his son after all. He probably would of punched it if he had nothing.

adam February 10, 2012 at 6:05 pm

i dont know why people keep saying omg i cant believe he killed the mountain lion with a pocket knife if so many people werent illiterate they would have read the part were it says he stabbed it and scared it off he didnt kill it

BroTheTroll February 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm

This story is so inspirational, and the best part is it has a happy ending…
They found and have successfully rescued that poor mountain lion from
those evil people….

Artemisia February 11, 2012 at 10:40 am

That is one Amazing father!! I don’t think it mattered what he had in his pocket. He would have killed it with his bare hands if he had to to save the life of his child. The power of love and being a parent is stronger than any weapon.

Artemisia February 11, 2012 at 10:43 am

Oh and Amen Adam.

tom postman February 12, 2012 at 3:28 pm

The lion ran off, more frightened by the warning pain of that one thrust than anything else, along w the potential for worse coming from the felt force and intention of the man.

Caleb February 13, 2012 at 12:50 am

Dude. You and your wife saved your son! Please ignore any jacka** posts above or on the other forums I’ve read. You’re a hero to your wife, son, and to many others. I for one hope I could do the same if ever in a similar situation. Great job!

Rick February 13, 2012 at 11:37 am

I’ve been a full time firefighter for 30 years and serve as a company officer now. I see people on the worst days of their lives. On so many scenes I see men turn to jello, and it seems more and more common these days. But when you run across guys like this one who “did what they could, with what they had” like Shamgar, it really makes my day.
These guys are always observing, learning, and planning out what to do in just such situations. Most were raised that way, but many men develop these skills over time themselves. I’d be proud to shake his hand and thank him. And I know what his reply would be.

Rebekah February 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Very cool! Self-defense should be a part of everyone’s wardrobe!

John Pack February 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Dear Dad-
You lived out the scenario, we as Dad’s daydream about. I myself, sometimes daydream about situations like this and in all of them I have a cape on and do WHATEVER is necessary to protect my family. The difference between you and I, is that that yours isn’t a dream…and you had your cape with you. Well done for leaving it all on the field and for loving your son more than you love yourself! I don’t know you, but I’m so very proud of you!

Deltaboy February 14, 2012 at 1:02 pm

The man is just a good ole redneck who was carrying a Lockback, I tell folks to always carry a non discript slipjoint pocket knife and a Lockback. Here In TX I carry a Buck 110 everyday on my belt and varity of 1-4 blade pocket knife in my pocket. But unlike this dad I CCW and in this case the Knife was the best option.

Mitch February 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Great job Jason! Rivers will remember that for the rest of his life and his sons after him!

Dustin B February 16, 2012 at 11:57 am

To echo many of the previous comments, never underestimate a father’s love, and the lengths he will go to in order to protect his child.

I would give my life, without second thought, for my son or my wife. That mountain lion might maim the heck out of me, but he’s not getting my son. Bare hands, pocket knife, whatever means necessary.

As a previous commenter suggested, that lion would lose an eye if I didn’t have a weapon on me.

TDL February 17, 2012 at 1:26 am

Punching the animal would likely have made no impression on it whatsoever (saw TV special very similar story on young woman who was attacked exactly like this in CA; cat latched onto her head and boyfriend spent HOURS beating the cat with fists, limbs, whatever he could find without letting go of the girl’s foot for fear the cat would change position and kill her for sure. She survived, but had quite a recover process because of the hours of mauling.) Make no mistake, the KNIFE puncture made the impression and praise God this man had it on him. What a hero!!