The Movember 2013 Wrap-Up

by Brett on December 7, 2013 · 10 comments

in Blog

Well, another Movember is on the books here at AoM. For those of you who are new to the site, during the month of November, the Art of Manliness participated in Movember, an annual fundraiser in which participants grow mustaches while raising money for men’s health issues. This is the fourth year we’ve participated.

This year, the 431-man Art of Manliness Movember Team was represented in four different countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Australia. Together, AoM Movember participants raised a whopping $28,976 during the month of November. Since we started taking part in Movember in 2009, we’ve raised $151,747.

A big thanks to all the AoM Movember Team members who hit the pavement and the keyboard soliciting donations and thanks to all of you who donated money. And a very big thank you to Shaun Daws, who orchestrated the AoM effort from the land down under, and has been generously and enthusiastically spearheading the AoM Movember effort since 2009.

We had a contest among the AoM Movember Team members to see who could raise the most money. The 2013 AoM Movember Contest winner is…

John Porter! John raised an incredible $1,635 during November to help fight prostate cancer. For his efforts, we’ll be giving John a handsome Saddleback Leather travel case filled with manly goodies like a Merkur safety razora badger hair brushArt of Shaving Sandalwood Shaving Cream, Can You Handlebar Mustache Wax, and a signed edition of The Art of Manliness Collection Box Set. Thanks for the awesomely manly effort, John!

Thanks again to all those who helped make Movember such a resounding success! We’ll see you next year!

PS-Are any of you going to keep your nascent mustaches? I’d love to hear your stache stories in the comments!

1 hairyupperlip December 7, 2013 at 4:41 pm

My timeline really moves in weeks. I started clean shaven on November 1st and didn’t shave until November the 11. I opted to look scruffy to try to blunt the awkward phase. I don’t think it worked. I got lots of funny looks on Monday the 11th.

Though the wife took the cake, she didn’t see me leave on the morning of the 11th, when I walked in that afternoon after work, she literally fell on the floor laughing at me. It wasn’t so much that the mo was odd or funny, it was the idea of me wearing a Mo and her being surprised by it.

I had actually forgotten about it as well, I had no idea why she was laughing or why people gave me odd looks sometimes.

It was really itching week three, but that has seemed to calm down. It has filled out enough that I want to give it another month to see what happens.

2 David December 7, 2013 at 6:03 pm

A moustache is some kind of impossible task for me, I have a Port-wine-stain that covers about one-third of my face and a good half of where a moustache could grow. I have got nearly no beard-growth where this Port-wine-stain is, so I would end up with a half moustache and that would look terrible. I did my best and grew some sideburns

3 Sonny December 7, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I always do a reverse-Movember so I start growing the end of August and shave it off at the end of November. This year was a bit different in that not only did I lose the handlebar Mo but I also cut off and donated my hair (around 16″ worth). Needless to say it’s been quite a change that’s resulted in some interesting reactions from friends, family, and coworkers!

4 John Porter December 7, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I am so thrilled! This is my third year participating in Movember, and I never would have guessed that I would have been the top AOM fundraiser when I started. The past years I have participated, I’ve been lucky to raise $50 or $100, but this year was great. The month started slow, but thanks to a fundraiser party (The Mustache Bash) that was cohosted by my very cool barber shop (Tops Off, Charleston, WV) I got the ball rolling and ended the month at $1660 (there’s a check in the mail that hasn’t been credited yet).

I also kept the momentum going by making daily men’s health posts to Facebook and Twitter, and posting a funny pic of myself each day. The month started off with funny fake mustaches, and progressed to the real deal. You can check out all the pics on my Mospace (Linked to my name on this post). While you are on the Movember page, remember that voting is still open for the “Rate My Mospace”, so vote for me or any other AOM team member to keep TEAM AOM momentum rolling.

Not only did my Movember end with a BANG (over $300 in online donations in one day), but a pic of me holding a friend’s mustachioed baby tied for first in the Birchbox/C.O. Bigelow “Show Us Your Mo” contest. That means more good shaving stuff!

But don’t worry, I plan to pay it forward! I will be sharing some of my winnings with my fuzzy faced friends and will be donating shaving and toiletry kits to homeless men in local shelters through a Christmas drive at my church. I encourage everyone follow along, and give gifts of caring this holiday season – donating a dopp kit and shaving gear to those in need is a great way to spread the joy and a good shave!

Until next Movember!

5 Shaun Daws December 7, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Congrats John, and to all the other Mo Bros who participated this year! We did some real good this month, so you should all be very proud of yourselves.
Well done everyone, see you next year!

6 Lee December 9, 2013 at 9:12 am

Great wrap up! Unfortunately, my wife threatened to take a razor to my mo so I had to remove. Happy wife happy life, right? I do have to say, however, that my mo never really came in even after attempting many manly things to get it to grow (e.g., eat a raw onion). Alas, I may be one and done but I will attempt to raise money without the mo next year…maybe I’ll grow a beard instead!

7 Chad Smith December 9, 2013 at 10:05 am

Another wonderfully succesful month Gentlemen! As a member of the RCAF, we have a beard growing contest every year starting the day after Remembrance day. As a yearly Mo Grower I usually shave my Mo on December first, and start my beard 3 weeks late. This year however, just for pure interest, I kept my moustache and am now growing the beard around it! Very interested to see how the Mo looks when I shave the beard after Christmas!!

Great job again Shaun!

Merry Christmas to all!
Chad

8 craig December 9, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Good work everyone! Congrats John on raising the most!

As for the question in the OP, yes, I am keeping my stache. All the men on my fathers side had moustaches at one point or the other, and I am one of 2 left (my father doesn’t like to wear a moustache anymore) so I need to continue the tradition!!

See you all next year!

9 John McBrayer December 10, 2013 at 8:38 am

John, congratulations! I didn’t realize you were a local boy. I was at the Mustache Bash and was the bald guy who won the mustache contest. If you plan on keeping that mustache, the founder of Blue Collar Beards in Huntington makes cups with mustache guards. They’re great for drinking without getting your beverage all up in your flavor saver.

Way to go on collecting so much for charity!

10 Beemo December 11, 2013 at 2:31 am

Hello everyone,

Like every year since i got out of the military, I took part of Movember
and like every year, in place of having a scruff like I did when serving
I let it grow and unfortunately on 1st December I didn’t have the manly man beard/scruff/mustache, but more of a pedo ‘stache :/
and I gathered €2500 ($3440) this year

Let’s hope next year it turns out better :)

Greetings fellow AoM members