10 Gift Ideas for a Man’s Morning Routine

by Brett on November 21, 2013 · 17 Comments

in Visual Guides

Morning Routine 2

Brought to you by Kohler.

The holidays are just around the corner. If you’re looking for gift ideas for the men in your life (or for yourself), look no further than at a man’s morning routine. Most men do the same sorts of things in the morning: brush teeth, take a shower, shave, poop. All of these activities are pregnant with upgrade possibilities. Most men don’t consider them, but would certainly appreciate it if a thoughtful someone gifted them the upgrade. Below we provide a few examples of possible upgrades to a man’s routine that could be used as gifts this holiday season. Consider it a taste of our annual monster holiday gift guide slated to come out next week.

Enjoy!

1. Kohler Moxie Bluetooth Speaker Showerhead. Upgrade your morning shower with a showerhead that spews out sound waves along with water. The wireless speaker attached to this showerhead syncs with any bluetooth-enabled device. Stream “Eye of the Tiger” to get you pumped up as you wash your hair or enlighten your mind with one of our recommended podcasts while you’re scrubbing your nether regions.

2. Phillips Sonicare Toothbrush. I bought one of these last year with some Christmas money and my teeth have never felt cleaner. The ultra-sonic vibrations help remove plaque on your teeth and around the gumline. Even my dental hygienist noticed that I had less plaque build-up after I started using my Sonicare toothbrush. I was never good about brushing for the recommended two-minute period, but that’s no longer a problem with this baby. The Sonicare has an automatic timer that shuts off the toothbrush after two minutes.

3. Old-School Aftershave. Cheap drugstore colognes were a staple in my dad’s stocking growing up, and I remember getting my first bottle of Brute in my stocking when I was twelve. Any of the old drugstore standbys make a great stocking stuffer gift. You can’t go wrong with Old Spice. Lately, I’ve been using Aqua Velva Ice Blue.

4. Grandpa’s Pine Tar Soap. An all-natural, testosterone-friendly soap that leaves you smelling like smokey pine trees. You can use Grandpa’s Pine Tar Soap for bathing, shampooing, and shaving. Many customers claim that Grandpa’s Pine Tar soap has even helped with their psoriasis, dandruff, and eczema.

5. RobeEvery man needs a comfy robe he can wear around a cold house while he drinks his coffee and reads the morning paper. It’s also nice to wear while you shave and brush your teeth in a cold bathroom. I got a Pendleton robe for Christmas a few years back, and it remains one of my favorite things. I wear it nearly every morning.

6. Chicago Steel Comb. In a throwaway culture, it’s nice to upgrade your comb from the plastic, disposable variety made overseas. Which is why I am a big fan and owner of the Chicago Comb. Made with timeless style right here in America. Constructed of stainless steel (yet comfortable on the scalp), this baby is dang near indestructible and will last forever. The comb’s teeth are also just the right distance apart that you can get a nice, tight comb without scraping out any product you may have put in your hair.

7. Imperial Pomade. I’ve long been a fan of classic men’s hair products like Brylcreem. The downside is that they’re incredibly greasy and hard to get out of your hair. When I heard about Imperial Barber products — created by honest to goodness barbers at Razorbacks Barber Shop in Longbeach, CA — I had to give them a try. I’m hooked. Imperial’s water-based pomades give you that sharp, slick Mad Men look, but without the greasy mess. Because it’s water based, it washes right out. I use a combination of their classic pomade and fiber pomade on the recommendation I was given when I paid a visit to Razorbacks in May.

8. Straight Razor. For many men, their morning routine starts off with a unique daily ritual practiced for millennia: shaving. This Christmas, introduce a man in your life to the pleasure and satisfaction of straight razor shaving. He’ll get the closest shave he’s ever had, and he’ll reduce his shaving costs substantially over the long haul because he’ll never have to buy another razor again. A close shave and more money in his pocket. That’s two gifts for the price of one! Be sure to send him a link to our guide on how to shave like your great-grandpa, lest he accidentally slits his own throat on the first attempt.

9 & 10. Badger Shaving Brush and Art of Shaving Sandalwood Shaving Cream. Even if the man you’re gifting would be intimidated by switching to straight razor shaving, consider adding a badger shaving brush and a good old-school shaving cream to his routine. I promise that it will make the daily shave so much better. There’s something relaxing about making a lather with your brush and spreading it across your face in small circles. The brush also helps to get your whiskers completely covered in lather, thus improving the shave. I highly recommend the Art of Shaving’s Sandalwood Shaving Cream. I’ve been using it for years now. It smells great and produces a fantastic lather.

1 Ed November 21, 2013 at 6:09 pm

A big thumbs up to the Sonicare. It completely cured me of gum disease. 2 minutes twice a day means no gum disease and quick painless trips to the dentist. Highly recommended.

2 James November 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm

The Imperial Pomade has quite the list of artificial ingredients, so I guess the barbers were also chemists? Have you come across any products that are more/100% natural base?

Like your site, for the premise of getting back to the basics and simpler times. One would hope that this would extend to products with basic/simpler ingredient lists like Grandpa’s Pine Tar Soap (now on my list of things to try, thanks). Of course its hard to to not use products that do what you want, despite their ingredient list.

3 Eric November 22, 2013 at 1:20 am

Re: James
Have you seen the list of ingredients for your car, or your computer?!?! Freakin’ huge…and a lot of stuff you can’t pluck from nature. I’m not sure the premise of the AofM website is to promote pioneer living, as you allude to (“getting back to…simpler times”).
Love the list. I keep eyeing the straight razor. It’s the original multi-function tool. Just ask Sweeny Todd.

4 Josh November 22, 2013 at 1:30 pm

All this stuff looks awesome, but way out of the average American’s price range. I’d love to see more reasonably priced alternatives for those of us making a humble salary.

5 Mike S. November 22, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Do not forget about Pinaud Clubman Aftershave! Switched to that a year ago and it makes the daily grind of shaving a more pleasant (and historical) experience.

6 Tim November 22, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I picked up a few of these items myself recently – A brush, some shaving soap, and a straight razor. The brush ran $30, the soap + dish about the same, and the straight razor was $15 (Amazon!), already sharpened. You can use a newspaper for a strop if you really need one.

I’m still using a $1 plastic comb I bought in an airport a dozen years ago. The idea of a metal one intrigues me!

7 Robb November 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Josh: Take a look at the Duluth Trading Company. You can get a straight razor, shaving brush, and shaving soap, all for much less than the specific products that Brett posted. They also have the pine tar soap.

Bar shaving soap lasts a hell of a lot longer than the foamy kind, and a straight razor only needs to be sharpened, not replaced. They’re worth paying a little bit extra.

8 Issac November 22, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I live on a humble salary, but ‘splurging’ for a quality safety razor and a good shaving cream and brush is well worth it. Also Prorasa is a good substitute for Art of Shaving brand creams.

9 Kevin November 22, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I have the Kohler Moxie shower head. The speaker, since it comes out of the housing, can also be used as a portable Bluetooth speaker-and it sounds pretty good. I sit it out on my deck when I’m grilling out…

10 Andrew November 23, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Krew comb is a great “water based” pomade for half the price. It has a nice “clean” scent as well. The Clubman brand is a great value as well. The “bay rum” “musk” and “after shave” are my favorites for about half the price of most store prices. A nice “safety razor” is a good alternative to a “straight”, and gives a great shave for the price!

11 Jarry November 23, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Groom and Clean is water based and inexpensive. Also, Gabels drops of lime, or bay rum aftershave is a good barbershop brand, but it comes in a pint bottle, so you had better like it if you get it.

12 Adam K. November 23, 2013 at 8:47 pm

The sonicare toothbrush is wonderful. Recommended by my dentist and reddit.

13 Chris November 25, 2013 at 1:12 pm

You should try layrite.com. Great pomade with good hold and washes out easily.

14 Matt B. November 28, 2013 at 6:20 am

Clubman Pinaud is the best for me. I used Old Spice for years, until it started giving me massive headaches. Also, if you don’t want to splurge on a safety razor or straight razor, Gillette makes a cartridge razor called the Guard (www.westcoastshaving.com>other razors) for $2, and the cartridges are $.50 a piece. As for the comb, I’m not spending $40 on a comb. I have a wooden one a friend made me for free, out of maple and rosewood. Not to mention, a boar bristle brush to help get my hair to lay down. And for me, Brylcreem all the way. Anyway, pretty nice list, but you left out Victorinox Cologne. They not only make quality pocket knives, luggage, and watches, but really good, inexpensive cologne as well.

15 Todd December 4, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I use witchhazel as an aftershave. It’s as simple and inexpensive as it gets, plus it’s a multi-functional astrigent that can be used for acne, insect bites, sores, etc. No alchohal to dry out your face.

Also, if you don’t trust yourself enouph with a straight razor, the traditional double edge safetey razor is great as well.

16 Hunter December 5, 2013 at 6:49 am

Brett,
Is the robe not itchy? I noticed it is 100% virgin wool, and that stuff gets pretty itchy.

17 Brett McKay December 6, 2013 at 4:01 pm

You would think it would be itchy, but I haven’t had that problem. Then again, I usually wear the robe with an undershirt and pajama pants, so it doesn’t make too much contact with my body. I can’t guarantee non-itchiness if you plan to wear it naked!