Turkey Week: How to Prepare and Brine a Thanksgiving Turkey [VIDEO]

by Brett on November 18, 2013 · 9 Comments

in Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure, Visual Guides

Welcome to Turkey Week at the Art of Manliness!

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I thought it would be helpful to create a series of video tutorials on how to prepare, cook, and carve the perfect Thanksgiving turkey. With that in mind, I’ve teamed up with my friend Karl Engel, head chef of the award-winning BBQ team Pigcasso here in Tulsa, OK, to show you everything you need to know to cook a Thanksgiving turkey that will wow all your guests. Every day for the next six days, we’ll be publishing a video with a different tip.

In today’s video, Karl shows us how to prepare and brine a Thanksgiving turkey with his specialty dry brine. You can download a PDF of the dry brine recipe here.

Be sure to check in tomorrow for how to oven roast a Thanksgiving turkey to perfection.

Subscribe to our YouTube channel to get the videos as soon as they’re published.

1 Derek Murawsky November 19, 2013 at 8:47 am

I think you’re misusing terms here. Brining is a wet process by definition. A brine is salt + water (and sometimes sugar). This isn’t brining, this is curing. Specifically it is dry-curing, as opposed to wet-curing which you do in a brine.

When I make bacon, for example, I treat the pork belly the same way as in the video, by applying a dry cure to the outside, and letting it sit. Liquid is pulled out of the cells as part of the curing process and I have to pour it off daily as part of process.

I can definitely see how this would add a great flavor to the bird, but I don’t see how it could help with the fairly common dry-turkey syndrome.

2 Jackson November 19, 2013 at 11:17 am

Great video. Loved the “gobble gobble boom!” at the beginning and end of the video.

3 Claude November 19, 2013 at 11:31 am

Get out of my head, Brett! For the first time ever, I will be cooking our family’s Thanksgiving feast. Perfect timing on your part, mind-reading, stalking?

Thanks for the vid. I look forward to the others.

4 Matt November 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Great video!
And Brett, great shirt. Can I ask where you got it?

5 Chris November 20, 2013 at 10:13 am

If you want a video on brining turkey check out one of Alton Brown’s. He’s the perfect cooking show host for the Manly Man.

6 Sean Patrick Murphy November 20, 2013 at 11:41 am

And for those who really want to go the extra mile: How-to kill, defeather, gut and prepare your turkey (not safe if squeamish): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjXtUH0fKrM

7 Brett McKay November 21, 2013 at 12:07 am

@Matt-
My in-laws got me that shirt for xmas a few years back. They got it from the Sierra Trading Post site that has sales that change all the time. The maker is Gitman Bros if that helps.

8 Henry November 27, 2013 at 6:20 pm

What are you thoughts on dry brining a frozen turkey? I mean when the turkey has been pre-injected with a saline solution.

9 Nathan November 30, 2013 at 2:18 pm

As a college student stuck on campus for Thanksgiving, I followed these instructions (along with the post on oven roasting) for the first Turkey I’ve ever cooked, and let me say it came out AMAZING! Thank you so much!