Movember 2013: Fighting Prostate & Testicular Cancer With Mustaches

by Brett on October 25, 2013 · 22 comments

in Blog

movember11

That most virile of seasons is once again upon us. It is time for Movember.

For those of you who are new to the site, every November AoM takes part in an annual, month-long fundraiser called Movember. Started in 2003, Movember is a yearly global charitable campaign that celebrates the mustache while highlighting and raising money for men’s health issues – specifically prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and male depression. During the month of November, men grow a mustache and raise funds for charities like the Prostate Cancer Foundation.

We’re going to be celebrating Movember here on the Art of Manliness website by inviting readers to grow a mo during the month of November. Since 2009, AoM readers have raised over $122,000 to help fund prostate and testicular cancer research. Last year the AoM Movember team raised over $33,000! I know we can top that goal this year. Ready to join us in the fight against prostate cancer? Here’s what to do.

How Movember Works:

1. Awesomely manly Aussie and Movember veteran Shaun Daws has started an Art of Manliness team on the Movember site. As team captain, he’ll be keeping an eye on the leader board and encouraging you along.

To join the Art of Manliness team, you must register on the Movember site. You must register as a “team member” so we can keep track of your progress. You can register for the AoM Movember team by clicking on one of the following links depending on where you live.

2. On November 1you must start out clean shaven. You will then commence the growing of your beautiful, hairy mustache masterpiece. You cannot shave your mo until Nov. 30, and you must adhere to the following grooming rules:

• There is to be no joining of the Mo at the sideburns – that’s a beard.
  • There is to be no joining of the handlebars at the chin – that’s a goatee.
  • A small complimentary growth under the chin is allowed (aka The Tickler).

3. During the month, hit up friends and family to sponsor your mustache-growing and donate to the cause. Raise as much money as you can! Basically this is like a walkathon, but instead of getting people to sponsor you for doing laps in a windsuit, you get people to sponsor the growing of your manly mustache. It will be hard to restrain your friends and family from donating.

4. Shaun has created a Movember Group in the Art of Manliness Community. Join the group and encourage your brothers. Shaun will be posting news, pictures, and updates, and you should do likewise. Let everyone see how your stache is progressing!

5. If you don’t have the cojones to grow a mustache (or if you don’t have cojones, period) you can still donate to the AoM Movember Team. Ditto for those who, like me, already have an awesome mustache, and don’t want to shave it off.

Men, this is your big chance to grow the mustache you’ve always dreamed of having but been too scared to attempt. The beauty of Movember is that during the early growing stage, the stage where the newly formed mustache’s appearance is so unsightly that men give up and shave, you have a ready and worthy excuse for why you look sort of skeevy. People will not only abstain from laughing at you, men will pat you on the back and women will kiss you with joy. Then, at the end of the month, when the awesomeness of your stache is in full bloom, people will be in such awe of your cookie duster that they will beg you not to shave it off. It’s win-win here, folks.

Saddleback Leather Company Dopp Kit + Classic Shaving Gear + Art of Manliness Collection = One Awesomely Manly Prize

Besides being rewarded with a great looking mustache, the Art of Manliness team member who raises the most money for the AoM Team will also receive the following prize package:

Saddleback’s Travel Case is the ultimate man’s dopp kit. Made with thick, full-grain boot leather, it comes with a 100-year guarantee. And packed inside this manly piece of tack you’ll find the following classic shaving gear:

razor

Merkur Safety Razor

brush

Badger Hair Brush

the-art-of-shaving-shaving-cream-sandalwood

The Art of Shaving Sandalwood Shaving Cream (my personal favorite)

mustachecomb

Tweezerman’s Mustache Comb and Scissors Set

Art of Manliness Collection Boxed Set

We’re also throwing in a signed edition of our Art of Manliness Collection. This vintage inspired cigar box contains both of our books as well as six coasters bearing manly iconography and quotes.

Contest is open to men 18 years and older living in countries in which we’ve created an AoM Movember Team. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited.

I hope you will join us this year in this noble and charitable cause. Last year the AoM team came in 12th place in fundraising among all the teams in the US. Fire up your mustache-growing and help us move into the top ten this year! Onward mustached soldiers!

1 Kieren Underwood October 25, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Can I have the prize even if I don’t raise the most amount of money? Be reasonable.

2 Bryan J. Oates October 25, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Maaaaaan, I wish I could; but I have already committed to growing a full beard over the fall/winter… Can’t cut it all off, as I’ve made a lot of progress growing and taming it this time ’round…. I will do what I can to help the cause and to donate though.

Great prizes by the way… I need everyone of those myself.

-Bryan J.
(Lacey, Wa)

3 Sonny October 25, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Only a week a way and I’m ready to Mo! Awesome prize pack you guys came up with too.

4 Olivér October 25, 2013 at 4:54 pm

no Movember Europe?? :((

5 Daniel October 25, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I’ve wore pink shirts this month on Friday’s for Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Next month: Movember. Not sure what it’ll look like, but I’m in.

6 Darby October 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Wish I could. Sadly I am 27 with the facial hair of a 12 year old.

7 James Honey October 26, 2013 at 2:41 am

I would love to join up. Alas I am unable to. My other half would probably murder me in my sleep if I shaved off my beard. That’s a bit of an exaggeration, but she wouldn’t be very happy with the idea. I’ll be rooting the men that do participate on though. God speed gentlemen. God speed.

8 Don O'Sullivan October 26, 2013 at 4:22 am

I too have dedicated much of my time and effort to growing, grooming and taming the perfect old time gentleman’s facepiece, but as much as it’s pained me to shave it off and start a new – I have, in the name of men’s health everywhere.

Anyone interested in supporting my pilgrimage into reinstating my beastly John L. Classic, here’s the link to my Mo Space:

Kind regards, Don O’Sullivan.

9 Jerome Weijers October 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I’m in. For the first time ever in over a half century of living, a moustache will grace this upper lip.

Gentlemen, looking forward to joining you in this tonsorial brotherhood for the cause.

Best wishes, Jerome Weijers

10 Tobias October 26, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I don’t understand why one has to start off clean shaven, so I plan to merely shave the rest of my beard off and leave the mustache for the month, since a month won’t be enough for me to grow a decent mustache.

11 Pike October 28, 2013 at 10:00 am

I wish I could participate, but I sport the handlebars year round. Oh well, good luck to all the competitors, and be sure to keep it after November ends; we need more hirsute fellows walking around.

12 Lee October 28, 2013 at 10:18 am

I had a beard going and was going to go handlebar but that is strictly against the rules! So my mo will commence Nov. 1!

13 Nate October 28, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I would love to join, but I already have a very large beard and to shave it off to start from clean shaven is something I can not do. Best of luck to the growers!

14 Kristian October 29, 2013 at 4:27 am

I will be charging for this prize. I only hope the Dopp competition is international as I am in the Australian Chapter of the AoM Movember team. Feel free to donate here:

15 James Mills October 29, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I, too, will be shaving my beard of 7 years in order to participate. I worry that my children may not recognize me. Please consider donating, bearded brothers, to this one who is going under the knife for the cause.

16 Martin I October 30, 2013 at 10:42 am

This beard doesn’t come off to go right back on for Noshember. I just do not trim it at all and i let it grow in way fuller than normal.

17 W. Daniel Fichtel October 30, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I’ve already committed to my workplace mo team, but I wish you the best of luck in this worthy cause!

18 Jeremiah H October 31, 2013 at 3:49 pm

This will be my first time participating in this worthy cause. I never grew a mustache so it should be interested to see what type of feedback I get. Two questions – (1) Is there going to be an official t-shirt this year? (2) Does anyone have a AOM sponsor sheet to hang up in the workplace?

19 pierre maillard October 31, 2013 at 5:40 pm

my sister will also join all for a great cause

20 Joshua Brown November 1, 2013 at 12:58 am

Man I’d love to join this but there’s no way I’m shaving my handlebar to start over!

21 Anatoliy Kozak November 1, 2013 at 5:09 am

I have decided to shave after almost a year of beard and grow a mo. I have become way too attached to the beard. This beard recess will help me break my clinginess. Check me out: mobro.co/akozak

22 Alejandro De La Garza November 4, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I tried to sign on for Movember USA, but got nothing back from it. Where do I go from here?