Outfitted and Equipped: Weekend Road Trip

by Brett & Kate McKay on October 16, 2013 · 18 Comments

in Outfitted & Equipped, Visual Guides

Weekend Road Trip 4

This post is brought to you by Timberland.
How does Outfitted & Equipped work? The FAQ.

With summer behind us, the days of epic cross-country road trips have come to a close. But fall ushers in the perfect time for taking a shorter weekend trek with friends (or a special someone). With the leaves beginning to change colors in many places in the country, the scenery along the way can’t be beat. It almost makes the destination superfluous.

If you’ve never taken a road trip of any length, it can be intimidating to try to think of everything you need. You don’t just want a mass of stuff, you want the right things to help you get to the other side happily and not screaming at each other from being cramped in a car for too long.

Here are our recommendations for a relaxing and memorable weekend road trip with your buddies:

1. The Shades. J.Crew Factory Aviators. The sun can be brutal on the open road. Protect your eyes with these great-looking and affordable aviators.

2. The Camera. FujiFilm FinePix S4200. This is my other camera besides my point and shoot, and I love it. You get robust features for a great price including 24x zoom, image stabilization, and a great 3-inch screen. It also has a viewfinder in case there’s glare on the screen, which I appreciate and not all cameras have these days.

3. The Boots. Timberland Earthkeepers® Rugged Waterproof Moc Toe Boot. These boots are like the holy grail of road trip footwear: comfortable enough for long stretches in the car, rugged enough for taking jaunts into the woods, and good looking enough for going out in the city. They’re breathable with a moccasin-like feel, waterproof for braving autumnal weather, and pair perfectly with jeans. Incredibly versatile.

4. The Tunes. Lost And Gone Forever by Guster. What makes for the perfect road trip music? It’s kind of an ineffable quality: not so up-tempo and bombastic that it jars the smooth vibe of your four wheels turning round and round, but not so mellow that it puts you to sleep. It fits the rhythm of the road perfectly. One candidate I’d recommend for your road trip playlist: Guster. Try Lost and Gone Forever and cruise the highway to their smooth melodies and bongo’d beats.

5. The Tech. Mediabridge Aux Cable. If you’re renting a car (I recommend it for road trips), you’re almost guaranteed to have an iPod/smartphone port, so don’t forget to bring your aux cable. Also don’t forget your car charger for your phone; using the GPS feature tends to drain the battery.

6. The Beverage. Nothing goes better with salty snacks (see below) than an ice cold can of soda. Instead of reaching for the same old Coke or Pepsi, try to pick up a unique variety available only in certain regions of the country. For example, if you’re traveling through New England, keep your eye out for Moxie, a weirdly delicious, medicinal-tasting, old-time soda made with gentian root extract. Plus it contains caffeine to keep you alert.

7. The Jacket. Timberland Woodhick Hoodie. On a road trip, you usually get warm in the car, and then get chilled when you stop and get out for gas, and then warm back up when you get going again. You need something that’s super comfortable and easy to take off and on, which makes the hoodie your perfect road trip wear. Plus, with the seasons changing, you want to be prepared for any kind of weather. This fleece-lined hoodie will keep you warm and cozy wherever the open road takes you.

8. The Tee. Gap Striped Henley Tee. You definitely want a comfy shirt for your travels. A good-looking henley classes it up a bit.

9. The Jeans. Charles Regular Selvage. With storage space at a premium on road trips with friends, you don’t want to have to pack too much. This pair of jeans will you get you through a whole long weekend of not only sitting in a car for long periods of time, but also whatever other adventures may come along. They’re handmade in San Francisco, reasonably priced (for selvage denim), and will last you a lifetime.

10. The Cooler. Igloo Soft Cooler. You’ll definitely want some cold beverages on your road trip (see “The Beverage” above), but traditional coolers can be big and unwieldy, and you don’t want to stop at a gas station every time you’re needing something to wet your whistle. This small cooler is made with soft material, so you can shove it into any nook or cranny of the car you can find. Remember to keep this with you and not in the trunk!

11. The Snacks. Sweetwood Beef Jerky. There’s no better road trip snack than beef jerky. That’s a scientific fact. It’s mighty tasty and will keep you satisfied far longer than a can of Pringles.

12. The Bigger Picture. Rand McNally Road Atlas. While your phone can give you turn-by-turn navigation, a paper atlas gives you the bigger picture of where you are and where you’re going. You can study the atlas to find off-road diversions, as well as chart your route ahead if you’re like me and still have a slight distrust of GPS and Google Maps.

13. The Reading Material, Part 1. Kindle Paperwhite. For the times you aren’t driving, and the car has exhausted its fantasy football conversation, the Paperwhite is your perfect companion. I bought this as soon as it came out a couple years ago, and couldn’t go back if I tried. With the built-in light, you can read in the dark and not disturb your driver/companions with needing a light on. It also doesn’t glare in the sunlight like tablets do. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (only $2.99 this month for Kindle) is the perfect book for your road trip for two reasons: 1) It’s our selection for the AoM book club for October, and 2) the main plot features a road trip between father and son and several philosophical discussions.

14. The Reading Material, Part 2. Make Magazine. Road trips are a great time to catch up on lighter reading material like magazines. Make Magazine focuses on things you can do with your hands — everything from woodworking, to electronics, to homemade yogurt. We caught up with founder Mark Frauenfelder in a recent AoM podcast.

1 Damian Zannini October 16, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Moxie! I haven’t seen this soda plugged in years. It’s impossible to get in the South. What an awesome soda!

2 the1chosen October 16, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Never leave the house without a good pocket knife.

3 Alejandro October 16, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Fantasy football conversation can never be exhausted. I just benched Rodgers and put Foles in his place…

A great list but I would trade the soda for water or fruit juice if you want/ need the Carbohydrates.

4 Dylan October 16, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Endorsing Moxie? Yikes, you must be a fellow Mainer! No one outside of the state in their right mind would drink that cough syrup!

5 andy October 16, 2013 at 6:48 pm

MOXIE all the way!!!

6 Justin October 16, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I love these shorts, but it seems like each item is the most expensive one possible.. thrift options in the future? :)

7 Colin October 16, 2013 at 9:13 pm

As a non-New Englander, I do not endorse Moxie in the slightest. It tastes like medicine! If you’re looking for a nice regional soda, I’d strongly recommened A Late One (Ale-8-1) from Kentucky. The greatest soda in my opinion

8 Steve October 17, 2013 at 3:12 am

@Justin. These are just templates mate, I live in the UK so half the stuff isn’t even available over here if I wanted the specific items listed, but they still plant those little ideas of outfits for certain undertakings.

Replace the selvage jeans with some nice dark Wranglers, the Gap Henley with a Henley you already own etc…it’s about creating a look, not replicating the outfit piece for piece. :)

I wholly agree about enjoying these little O&E pieces BTW, they are fun.

9 Todd October 17, 2013 at 8:17 am

I second the recommendation of Ale-8-1. Discovered that on a roadtrip several years ago and pick up several 6-packs whenever I pass through Kentucky.

10 Will Winn October 17, 2013 at 8:38 am

As a native New England-er I protest to this promotion of Moxie. It is only enjoyed by eccentrics and Maine-ers. Don’t do it on a dare or out of curiosity you will only waist your dollar. If in the area I’d suggest one try some “Polar” soda, it is bottled here in Worcester MA and they offer loads of irregular flavors like orange-dry, and birch beer.

11 Kirk October 17, 2013 at 11:42 am

While I swear by Igloo coolers, for a road trip I’d highly recommend spending the extra money on a thermoelectric cooler/warmer. Sure, it’s a bit bigger, but you don’t have to mess with ice or ice packs. Just plug it into a lighter port and you’re good to go. By getting one that doubles as a warmer, it will get a long life at tailgates, taking items to pot luck gatherings, etc.

12 Serial Sartorialist October 18, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I highly recommend a Coleman Steel Belted Cooler. It will keep ice for several days, even during the hottest days of Summer while at the same time looking stylish and elegant. They are rugged too any will stand up some banging around. Great for tailgates, road trips, or a convenient place to chill some beers before a party. They are available in several colors. I went with green because it was the cheapest and also seemed more “outdoorsy”. A friend has the stainless steel one which looks sharp. You can find them online for around $70 and it is well worth the price. Not having to waste your money on a new bag of ice every morning will pay for the thing.

13 Dustin October 18, 2013 at 7:45 pm

If you want to find a Mainer just say the word Moxie and they’ll come running.

14 Thomas October 21, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Downside to the Copin “Charles” jeans… all inseams are 34″. I’m tall so I prefer 36″. Seems like a bonehead cost-cutting move. Any other selvedge denim options in this price range that offer proper sizing?

15 Ortzinator October 22, 2013 at 2:17 am

Jeans that last a lifetime? Mine don’t even last two years…

16 Roger October 22, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I first had Moxie last year while visiting family in Maine. It has the power to put hair on your chest and strip it right back off.

17 Website October 24, 2013 at 5:42 am

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible for some people (like me) to find well-fitting clothes without having them custom tailored at a premium price I can’t afford. I am tall and skinny with a barrel chest and very long arms. I rarely find a shirt or jacket that matches more than two of those elements.

18 Brendan December 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Moxie is the best drink evah! Try it if you are in Maine and Maine only. Every supermarket will carry it here, it is an acquired taste.