Outfitted & Equipped: First Day of Class

by A Manly Guest Contributor on August 21, 2013 · 34 Comments

in Outfitted & Equipped, Visual Guides

First Day of Class 1

JT_125x125 This post is brought to you by Jack Threads.

Editor’s note: This gallery was curated by Barron Cuadro of The Effortless Gent.

September is quickly approaching, which means it’s already back to school for all the students out there. Back when you were little, mom would make a big deal about making sure you looked all prim and proper for your first day — and as much as you hated her fussing then, she had a point. You want to make a good first impression to your fellow students as well as your professors right when you walk into the classroom. The sweatpants may look appealing when it’s early in the morning, but it says a lot about a man who will get up a little early and take pride in the way he looks. With fall in mind, some of these choices are for slightly cooler environs, so if you’re in warmer climates, hopefully these picks will inspire some ideas of your own beyond t-shirts and sneakers.

How does Outfitted and Equipped work? The FAQ.

1. The Backpack. J. Campbell Washed Canvas Backpack. How else would you carry your stuff as you foot it around campus? Upgrade from the Walmart bag you had in high school.

2. The Sweater. J. Crew Heather Gray Shawl Collar Sweater. In case it’s chilly on your way to class early in the morning, or when heading home late at night. A nice step up from your typical fleece sweatshirt.

3. The Shirt. Club Monaco Slim-Fit Printed Shirt. It’s your first day, you want to make a bold impression. If it’s warm or you want to look a little more casual, roll up the sleeves.

4. The Thermos. CafePress Manly Travel Mug. If you’re like me, you’re going to need coffee in the morning. Instead of wasting $5 a day on fancy lattes, brew your own java and bring it to class in this stellar travel mug. It has a ceramic shell, so it’s hefty and will last a long time. No cheap plastic here.

5. The Watch. Timex Weekender. A clean, no-nonsense, utilitarian watch. Might not have fancy moon phases or a diamond bezel, but it tells time perfectly so you won’t be late for your next class.

6. The Highlighters. Muji Double-Ended Highlighter Pen. These Muji highlighters are perfect because they are double-tipped. One side is great for underlining, the other, for highlighting passages in your books. On top of that, the nib is partially clear, so you can see the lines you’re highlighting. Brilliant.

7. The Pencils. Paper Mate Sharpwriter. Simple mechanical pencils that look a bit like those old school wooden ones you used in grade school. Pencil sharpener not needed.

8. The Pants. Goodale Slim Beige Selvedge Denim. Because you want to stay away from the pleated, baggy versions that scream “Best Buy Sales Associate.” And the selvedge denim is great for students because they only need washing every three or four months of daily wear. It’s a win-win.

9. The All-In-One Tool. Apple iPhone. You can’t Instagram from your Motorola Razr flip-phone. Keep your email, calendar, homework assignments, etc. all in one place. It doesn’t get better than that.

10. The Wallet. TGT Americana 2.0. Ditch the duct tape wallet you thought was awesome in high school and upgrade to something that looks nice AND will last a while. You’ll want easy access to your student ID card without having a hulking wallet in your pocket all the time — this wallet from TGT is perfect.

11. The Computer. Apple MacBook Pro. Write papers, surf the internet, and watch cat videos on a crisp Retina display. And with iCloud, you can sync everything with your phone and not have to worry about copying/pasting notes back and forth between devices.

12. The Footwear. Clarks Desert Boots. Plan on putting a lot of mileage on these. They’re durable, comfortable, and look damn handsome.

13. The Notebooks. Moleskine Ruled Cahier Journals. Jot down notes in style with these Moleskine journals. Besides, those spiral-bound notebooks can snag your sweater if you’re not careful.

1 dave August 21, 2013 at 11:52 am

No belt… :/

2 ronnyfm August 21, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Ah, you can sync with Skydrive, Dropbox, Drive… I mean, nothing against fanboyism, but well :P

3 Mike August 21, 2013 at 12:23 pm

If anyone is considering a Macbook Pro, you may want to wait until they release their new Haswell models. My recommendation is the 13″ Macbook Air, its battery lasts for 12+ hours.

4 Steven August 21, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Thanks for the post! All fine and dandy except the digital gizmos, in my opinion. It will always be a matter of taste, but I am not an advocate of the expensive Apple products, as I find them to be very overprized and not particularly good in value-for-money. Especially the MacBook Pro. Also I was a bit irritated by the iPhone description – “You can’t instagram with your Motorola Razr flip-phone”. Well, do you have to? I agree with having a smartphone that’s got a calender and email access. However, I don’t think Instagram is something you should focus on, when talking about High School or College.

5 Nick August 21, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Why Apple products? Is there a bias in the authorship?

6 jg August 21, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Really endorsing those overpriced Apple products? No thanks. I’ll stick to my run-of-the-mills PC (desktop, of course).

Other than that, not bad. I remember when a couple of us started “Winner Wear Wednesday” at our Uni. It really didn’t catch on, which is surprising given the fact that the Uni was a private Jesuit school.

7 krs August 21, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Why does one wash the pants so infrequently?

8 Sean August 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I would but in chicago it’s like 88 degrees. i’m at school there…

9 Jeremy Anderberg August 21, 2013 at 1:44 pm

@Nick and @jg —

As Steven said, it’s simply a matter of the author’s taste. If you prefer PCs, wouldn’t that be what you mention in a gallery like this? Just because it’s mentioned in a gallery here on the site doesn’t mean that it’s an official “you must buy this to be a man” endorsement. The goal of these galleries is just to give you ideas and jumping off points for what to have for various life experiences/activities. Thanks fellas.

-Jeremy

10 Jeremy Anderberg August 21, 2013 at 1:49 pm

@krs — It’s the wonder of this type of denim! Raw (selvedge) denim is such that it needs washing only every few months with daily use. Give it a quick Google search and you’ll find out more than I could tell you.

@sean — As mentioned, this is simply used as a jumping off point to fuel your creative juices. Maybe go with khaki shorts instead of pants, but it’s hot here in Denver in the summer and I wear my selvedge denim most days. It’s warm, but I do just fine. As for the shirt, go short sleeve or throw on an undershirt and roll the sleeves up. Just some ideas for ya. Thanks for the comment.

11 Ed August 21, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Love it all except why are all the clothes slim fit? Did john Wayne wear slim fit? I say hell no. :>

12 Steve August 21, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Glad to see moleskin notebooks on the list. I got mildly addicted to them while studyingnin germany. I have several in different sizes. They add to the mystique of writing poetry.

13 Kyle August 21, 2013 at 2:36 pm

What’s the price on the Americana wallet? Looks awesome. I don’t want to sign up to see their exclusive pricing.

14 Jeremy Anderberg August 21, 2013 at 2:48 pm

@Kyle – here’s the direct link to the manufacturer: http://www.tightstore.com/products/americana-2-0

15 John August 21, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I always enjoy these articles, but I’m also saddened by them. I’m a big dude and am always just an inch or two too big to find most of these items. Like the pants? Biggest I saw was 38″x32″. I need 34″ inseam, 15s in shoes, and a sleeve length more appropriate for an orangutan. Sometime, could we see an outfitted and equipped with the big and tall in mind?

16 Elena August 21, 2013 at 3:54 pm

It looks like a great list of things for a guy who takes pride in his looks and knows what he wants. The shirt and the backpack match in color and look pretty cool, just like everything else.

17 Alex August 21, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Love the clothes. But imo J Crew and CM are overpriced at full retail.

18 Serafin August 21, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Pretty much what I wear most days as a teacher…

19 Casey August 21, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I’d actually suggest a cheap chromebook over the macbook pro – you can buy 4 or 5 of them for the cost of a macbook, it syncs everything to google drive so you don’t lose assignments (not to mention a 100gb of google drive on the house), and it weighs less.

I used a macbook in college and would of rather had a chromebook if they had been out then.

20 Raiyan August 21, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I can understand promoting the other things but why the Macbook? Are you advertising for Apple or is it a manly company. By the way my school rents me a Macbook Pro for a year and I think it is way overrated.

21 Dahdah August 21, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I Instagram on my Droid Razr (not a flip phone)… should I stop? Did I break through some universal barrier? Will my actions cease life as we know it? Also, do flip phones even still exist?

22 Josh August 21, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Some of the things are quite pricey, but cheaper alternatives are out there. Keep these posts coming.

23 Jackson August 22, 2013 at 8:30 am

That wallet is sweet.

24 washed up August 22, 2013 at 10:15 am

I’ve been out of the game for a while but do kids these days really only wash their jeans once every 3-4 months? I would haved kicked my roomate out.

25 Jeremy Anderberg August 22, 2013 at 10:22 am

@washed up — see my previous comment. This is a particular type of denim. There are numerous studies out there that show that denim in general is particularly resistant to bacteria. There will be no more bacteria after a couple weeks than after a couple months. Dirt, stains, etc. can be spot cleaned.

26 Will August 22, 2013 at 10:33 am

I’m all for mechanical pencils over wood case but Sharpwriters are awful. Especially as you went so far as to suggest a premium notepad. Go for something along the lines of a Faber-Castell TK or a Staedtler Mars 775. They feel much better quality and don’t cost much. I used a 775 with Faber-Castell 0.7 2B leads on my Moleskine and it leads to a lot less hand fatigue after a long session of note writing.

Or get clutch pencil like a Koh-i-Noor 5900 and look like a bad ass. Although you will have to use a sharpener with that.

27 Brock August 22, 2013 at 1:11 pm

@Dave – don’t need one if the pants fit! Although belts are nice. Love the boots and watch!

-B

28 Tank August 22, 2013 at 1:34 pm

@Raiyan
It would be helpful to those unfamiliar with Apple or the Windows market to elaborate on why you find the Mac Book Pro unimpressive. Otherwise blanket statements with no factual information add little to nothing to the conversation.

29 Rob August 22, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Re MacBook comments:
The MacBook Pro and iPhone are extremely expensive gadgets; and as we all know, most students have very little money to splurge carelessly.

You could get a same-spec or better laptop than the MacBook Pro running Windows for about 60-70% of the price; or go for a hybrid device which again should come out cheaper.

As for the phone, a mid-to-high tier Android or Windows Phone device would again be much cheaper (at least 50% of the price) with no particular loss of functionality.

Apple stuff is always good quality, but I firmly believe a savvy shopper can do better for less. Of course, if you prefer OSX and IOS, there’s really no other choice!

30 A6 August 26, 2013 at 4:53 pm

To each their own I suppose… I own a MacBook Pro (late 2009 model) and I have been using it almost EVERY single day since I bought it with no issues, problems, or anything of the sort. I’ve used it for student teaching, vacation pics; editing, backing up files, college radio station playlists and songs, net surfing and everything in between. It is by far the smartest purchase I’ve EVER made!! I’m not here to advertise for Apple (Steve Jobs and his empire have done a pretty good job of that over the last 20 years). Their customer service is top notch and they even replaced my iPod touch with a brand new one when the power button stopped working. Excellent post.

31 David G August 28, 2013 at 3:16 pm

These moleskin journals are excellent. Pretty cheap and fit in most back pockets. With a mini clip board, you can do excellent site work without anything cumbersome. I recommend picking up the graph-ruled style.

32 Zeejet September 3, 2013 at 2:52 pm

This outfit would work if you were a young professor, but not a student. You would alienate all you peers and get disdainful looks.

33 Rob M. September 10, 2013 at 7:39 am

This is fantastic. I really wish that I had this quality of advice and guidance many years ago during my first days at college.

Great job.

34 John September 11, 2013 at 1:14 am

I could have used this advice back in the day. The only thing I’d change- unless you’re a lot further south than me, you probably don’t have much desert boot weather left. If I could only afford one pair of decent boots right now, they would be a bit more fall/winter friendly. Especially if I planned to walk to campus.