Come to AoM Book Signing in Seal Beach, CA: May 11th

by Brett on May 5, 2013 · 36 comments

in Blog

signing2

This week we’re taking one of our periodic breaks from publishing to recharge our craniums. Kate and I will be camping for a few days. And then Friday I’m off to Los Angeles. I’m a bit of a recluse and not much for traveling and leaving my family and have only done a couple of book signings over the years, but LA is home to the largest percentage of AoM readers, and I’ve developed some great online contacts there that I’ve long wanted to meet in the flesh. So I figured it was finally time for a visit, and Saturday I’m doing a book signing at the Tankfarm & Co. flagship store in Seal Beach, CA. There will be free beer, coffee, and haircuts! If you live in the Southern California area, I would love for you to stop by and to meet you. It should be a great time!

1 John May 5, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Really wish I was able to come see you in person and shake your hand. Bet it’ll be great

2 tyler brown May 6, 2013 at 12:35 am

Man wish i was from Cali just to get a signed copy!

3 Mark May 6, 2013 at 12:43 am

I live in LA and have both books. It’s a shame Seal Beach is 50 miles away and I have an event on May 11th. So close and yet so far away.

4 John R. May 6, 2013 at 4:41 am

Wish I didn’t have 3 finals on the 13th. I live in Central California and I wouldn’t mind driving there for this. Maybe next time.

5 Turling May 6, 2013 at 9:30 am

Of course! You’ll be 4 miles from me exactly 2 days AFTER I’m having three vertebrae fused together in my neck. Well, I’ll be sitting on my couch 4 miles from you wishing I was there.

6 collier May 6, 2013 at 9:33 am

lets put together a signing in vegas?

7 Peter May 6, 2013 at 10:49 am

That shop in the photo has an awesome rustic exterior. If I was living in sunny California, it would be nice to stop by. It’s too far to make the trip from Korea, where I currently live. Speaking of Korea, I just read a good article about male grooming in a local paper which your readers might find interesting, (Male grooming: New trend or old tradition?):

Best wishes for the signing.

8 Josh May 6, 2013 at 12:42 pm

What hours do you plan on being there? I’m helping out a charity in the morning but I’m hoping I can get away for this.

9 Stan May 6, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I love tankfarm. I’m super bummed I have a wedding that day and will be helping to set up for it so I can’t make it. You should come back and do this again though.

10 Brian May 6, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I’ll see you there!

11 Steve May 6, 2013 at 5:34 pm

How long will you be there on Saturday and will your books be available for purchase at the venue.

12 Eduardo May 6, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Does the free beer make it an ‘adults only’ thing? I would’ve biked the 50 miles to get there, and I’m talking about a 20″ bmx here.

13 Jason S. May 6, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I’m looking forward to this. I’ve been following your work since your “Mormon Hacker” blog. Thrilled you’ve come so far! See you there!

14 Glen D May 6, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Dang, I have something that I have to be at 2 hours north of there on Saturday at 4pm. My son and I would have loved to have stopped by. Enjoy So. Cal. Let us know if you need to know any good tourist spots.

15 Michel May 6, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your further post thank you once again.

16 JeffC May 6, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Five minute drive for me: yes!

17 Samuel Warren May 6, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Wohoo! See you there looking forward to meeting you!

18 Geoff May 6, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Come to Idaho!
Or Salt Lake City!

19 Andy R May 7, 2013 at 1:23 am

Mr. Brett McKay,
What are the hours of the event? I’d love to go, but I have to work until 4pm.

20 Jeremy R May 7, 2013 at 5:23 am

Next stop is Chicago, right?

21 logan May 7, 2013 at 5:29 pm

seal beach?!?! why so far? ride a moose up closer to LA!

22 Peter May 8, 2013 at 12:36 am

Will you have copies of the book there to publish. Sounds like a fine afternoon and great excuse to get the book.

23 Ryan J May 8, 2013 at 2:22 am

Definitely taking time out of my lunch break for this – love the coincidence that my barbershop and their hair product is sponsoring it too!! Small world.

24 Maurice May 8, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I every time spent my half an hour to read this blog’s posts everyday along with a mug of coffee.

25 brandon May 8, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Dang!

I just moved to sacramento, would’ve definitely made it to seal beach for the signing.

Maybe next time

26 Juan Carlos May 8, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Super stoked; see you there!

27 Chris May 9, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I just moved to San Diego from Pennsylvania… great timing for this! I’ll be driving up to get my book signed, have a brew with the dudes, and snag a haircut to boot! It will be a swell time, I say!

28 Mark May 10, 2013 at 1:53 pm

brett,

be sure to have dinner at walts wharf on main street and get the grilled artichoke.

29 Brooks May 10, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Brett,

I am all the way in Ohio. It would’ve been an honor to meet you!

30 Pauline May 12, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Loved meeting you at the book signing, and my 5 year old Aidan has already asked me to start reading to him from his Manvotional book that you signed. Thanks for taking the time away from your family, and thanks to Kate for sharing you with your West Coast fans!

31 Andy May 13, 2013 at 11:55 am

I had been planning on going all week long and ended up so sick on Saturday that going to the corner drug store felt like I was going to die. I hope it was a great turn out,

32 Keven Vaughan May 13, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Brett,

What a wonderful event at Tankfarm. I’m so glad you came to my neck of the woods, thank you. It was an honor to meet you. Keep up the good work and May God Bless your efforts.

33 Roscoe May 15, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Aw damn I was working at the coffee shop right next to here while this was happening. Bummed I missed it!

34 Jason S. May 16, 2013 at 1:55 am

Brett,
It was great to meet you in person. We had talked about my apprenticeship in Idaho. Well I’m glad to tell you I received my call home this afternoon. I’ll be home with family, and I’ll give Caleb his new books. I’ll be starting work Monday. I know we discussed me giving you details of my apprenticeship, what’s the best way to contact you if you’re still interested in that information? Thanks again, Brett!

35 Greg Duke May 25, 2013 at 9:44 am

I can’t believe I missed this! I live in Orange County and would have been there but my friend is getting married tomorrow (26th) and the 11th was his bachelor party. I came home that night and read this post. Two weeks later and this still kills me, but celebrating his marriage is the type of occasion that happens only once so I have no regrets!

36 Keegan Elliot June 4, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Bummed I missed this! AOM in my Hometown! I stopped by Tankfarm last week when my brother graduated college and chatted with the store staff. I had no idea (too much work in the last few months), otherwise I would have sent my youngest brother over on my behalf. I live on the East Coast. When are you coming to NYC? Are there any other AOM fans who live in the Big Apple?