AoM Month of Sandwiches Day #9: The Broiled Masters Sandwich

by Jeremy Anderberg on April 11, 2013 · 11 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

IMG_0905

Welcome to Day #9 of the AoM sandwich project. Last month we asked readers for their best sandwich recommendations. Out of 483 submissions, we picked 20 to highlight here on the site each weekday during the month of April. At the end, we’ll publish all the entries into an epic man-sandwich cookbook. Enjoy.

Today’s Sandwich: The Broiled Masters Sandwich by Victor

I have to start out by saying that I actually named this sandwich. Victor didn’t submit a name for it, but I couldn’t help thinking while I was eating it that this would be a great sandwich to consume down at the Masters Tournament in Georgia. The most fabled golf tournament in America starts today, and I know this isn’t the official pimento cheese served at Augusta National, but it’s just as fitting. I picked this as more of a classic sandwich choice in that it’s bread, deli meat, cheese, and veggies. It has a few upgrades that made it stand out to me as I was selecting which sandwiches to try, which I’ll detail below.

Ingredients

IMG_0898

• Croissant (I actually bought a giant one from Starbucks – my local grocer only had small ones)
  • Smoked turkey (I couldn’t find smoked, so I just went with some high-quality stuff from the deli)
  • Bleu cheese
  • Red onion
  • Arugula

Step 1: Slice Onion

IMG_0899

Start out by slicing the red onion.

Step 2: Prepare Croissant and Begin Layering

Give it a hearty dose of turkey.

Start out with a hearty dose of turkey.

Step 3: Add Onion and Cheese

Victor insisted that the onion go between the meat and cheese.

Victor insisted that the onion go between the meat and cheese.

IMG_0902

The crumbliness of the bleu cheese made it a little tough to get on the sandwich, but it worked out just fine as you can see.

Step 4: Broil

Place open-faced under broiler for 3-5 minutes. Be sure to watch close, as it will finish up in a hurry once it gets to the end. I put the top of the croissant in as well to get it nice and toasty.

Step 5: Top with Arugula

I used baby arugula, as it fits onto a sandwich a little better than regular.

I used baby arugula, as it fits onto a sandwich a little better than regular.

Final Product

IMG_0905

Taster’s Notes

I feel so classy.

I feel so classy.

This is a fine sandwich indeed. Every piece was perfect. The croissant was an excellent bread choice, the turkey was a nice light meat (versus a heavy, greasy…something), the red onion had excellent crunch, the bleu cheese was delightful, and the arugula gave it just a little bit of kick. Truly fantastic selection of ingredients, Victor. I honestly wouldn’t change a thing. As I mentioned above, it felt a little classier than some of the other sandwiches we’ve featured thus far. You could even impress your in-laws with this one. Pair it with an Arnold Palmer like I did, and you’re set for a good weekend of watching golf on the big screen!

1 Hercules April 11, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Looks great!

2 Mark N. April 11, 2013 at 3:53 pm

WOW! This one looks amazing! I can’t wait to try this myself. I bet sprouts would be good as well on this wich.

3 Joachim April 11, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Looks delicious!

A pet peeve of mine: why do people call it “bleu cheese”? Bleu is just the French word for blue, so why not just stick with English? It doesn’t make any sense to me.

How do you pronounce “bleu cheese”, anyway? Bluh or bloo?

4 Tac April 11, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I pronounce it bleh. For whatever reason I can’t stand that particular cheese. Or Feta. Though other varieties of similar cheese are just fine.

5 Kasey April 11, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Don’t mean to be negative, but being from Augusta I feel I need to comment. I have no beef with the name, but having been to the Masters I doubt this sandwich would be there. Would the restaurant I worked at down the street serve it? Absolutely. Would they serve it in the clubhouse? Totally. But at the golf tournament, simplicity is key. Chicken sandwich, pimento cheese. Those are your choices (from what I remember, there may be another, it’s been 20 years since I’ve been there). Just my 2 cents. Looks like a delicious sammie nonetheless

6 Steven April 12, 2013 at 1:14 am

No condiments? Doesn’t it get a bit dry with the bleu cheese? Mayo? Mustard?

7 Christian April 12, 2013 at 3:37 am

Maybe I would let the onion have a visit in the frying pan, just to knock some of the raw onion flavour out of it.
But it looks yummi.

8 Jeremy Anderberg April 12, 2013 at 8:37 am

@Steven – Ya know, it wasn’t dry at all, actually. I think the turkey was juicy enough, and the bleu cheese got a little creamy once broiled.

@Christian – I love raw red onion. :) To each his own!

9 Frank April 12, 2013 at 1:08 pm

The Masters looks amazing.

I’m bummed that I missed out on sammich contributions. I hope somebody sent in a Toronto-style veal sandwich (Fried breaded veal on an italian bun with fresh tomato sauce, roasted hot peppers, and a dollop of melted mozzarella). Messy and delicious.

10 Max Power April 12, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Looks fantastic. It’s interesting, normally I try to think of other things to add, but in this case you seem to have hit on a sort of elegant simplicity.

11 Mike April 15, 2013 at 1:27 pm

My local grocer didn’t have croissants so I picked up some pretzel rolls instead. They were amazing. I’m not even sure I want to try them with croissants since I don’t know if they could be any better.