Announcement: Subscribe to the AoM YouTube Channel for Weekly Videos

by Brett on April 5, 2013 · 14 Comments

in Blog, Visual Guides

Some of you might not have known this, but we have a YouTube channel. We’ve just posted to it very irregularly over the past five years. Lots of you have requested that we do more videos, but I’ve put off doing them because of time constraints, my lack of video-making knowledge, and my slight discomfort in front of the camera.

But this year I’ve decided to get out of my comfort zone and make it a goal to finally start making AoM videos on a regular basis. To that end, I’m teaming up with AoM reader and filmmaker, Jordan Crowder. Jordan created and starred in the fun, vintage-inspired  “Do It Now” instructional video we did for our Heading Out On Your Own Series. Jordan and I will be working together to put out at least one AoM video each week.

What sort of videos should you expect from the Art of Manliness?

We’ll be doing a lot of how-to stuff: how to tie a bow tie, how to change the oil on your car, how to make introductions, etc. Some of them will be straightforward and some of them will be styled in that endearing vintage-instructional video vein. I’ll also be taking some of our more philosophical content on what it means to be a man and turning those into videos. I plan on doing some interviews with people who are doing things that an AoM Man might be interested in. Jordan’s going to do a fun “man on the street” feature, where he’ll ask guys who are out and about questions about manliness. And who knows? Maybe we’ll bring back our “Man to Man” Q&A feature or even do some live Google Hangouts where we discuss a virile topic.

I’ll be honest with you all. This is a learning process for me. I’m still learning how to work the camera (the fact that I sounded like I was in a tin can in the above video is a result of my novice status) and I might be a little awkward in front of the camera for a bit. So don’t expect awesomeness right out of the gate, but I promise it will get better. If you ever have suggestions, please reach out to us via our YouTube Channel.

Speaking of our YouTube Channel, if you haven’t already, please subscribe to the AoM YouTube channel. That way all our videos will come right to you.

Thanks for your continued support of The Art of Manliness. We hope the addition of regular videos will make your experience more enjoyable and useful.

Stay manly!

1 Colin Jackson April 5, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Brett, no worries. Of the videos I’ve seen, you’ve seemed very well-spoken. Having done a few training videos for work (talking, not shooting) I’d recommend having a more loose dialogue planned. At least for myself, it has always seemed like the more scripted I try to be, the suckier I got. Who knows, you may be different, though. Just say loose and have fun with it, man. Cheers!

2 Ribert Palmar April 6, 2013 at 12:04 am

A video a week is an ambitious goal and time-consuming work.
The payoff can be great with an expanded platform for the Art
of Manliness which will reach many people unfamiliar with the site.

Not everything has to be new, there is a wealth of material from
the site that can be mined for presentation and an invaluable
resource to tap particularly when running dry on new ideas
when heading into the weekly deadline of just what to do.

Don’t underestimate your presentation skills, Brett, you
have star quality coming of natural and best of all manly.
You make a great representative for the rest of us and the
mission of the Art of Manliness so my advice is just be yourself.

3 Jonathan Sheldon April 6, 2013 at 1:34 am

I’d love to see a vintage style video on cell phone etiquette. People today drive me nuts. They are constantly ignoring those around them to concentrate on their phones. The article with those posters you made a while back was probably my favorite post I’ve read on here.

4 Grant April 6, 2013 at 8:58 am

Just subscribed, can’t wait for the new videos. Definitely looking forward to all the topics you can cover, seeing as I’m 18 and just becoming a man it’ll be good to have a little guidance on certain things!

5 Robert Palmar April 6, 2013 at 10:14 am

And what does it mean when you misspell your own name?
I’m Robert not “Ribert”, of course.

6 Ed Sorrels April 6, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I like your columns and your manovational items, I am saving them for my Grandsons for when they are old enough to understand them as we talk about Manhood and the duties and obligations of being one.

7 Andrew April 6, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Well done. Looking forward to the youtube videos. Hope you can keep up the weekly goal. Go for it.

8 Sandi April 7, 2013 at 10:02 am

Hope it’s okay for a chick to subscribe, too. ;-) I think the practical how-tos can be of benefit to anyone. And as a mom with two sons, I should be able to tie a bow tie, yeah? (I can already swap out a car battery. Go, me.)

Any time I can get a new look at the male psyche is a good thing.

9 TygeOD April 8, 2013 at 4:21 am

New viewer here, and I love your site…will check back often. As far as the new weekly videos go, utilize a directional microphone or a wireless mic to eliminate that echo and any unwanted background noise. Good luck!

10 Geoff April 10, 2013 at 3:46 am

Looking good Brett!
I believe I speak for all of us when I say I’m excited to see the continual progress and quality content coming from AoM!

11 Joshua April 10, 2013 at 7:43 am

I have similar goals to create consistent video content for my site. Well done on your video! What was this shot on?

12 Clayton April 13, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Great video, Brett. I was so impressed by your ethos and communication skills that I called my wife over to watch a second time. Speaking with authority is something I am really working on as I start my new job at a Big 4 accounting firm next week.

Have you always been naturally gifted? I’d love to see more content on honing communication skills (there is much already). Someone who can master their voice and their presence can lead a room.

Thanks for the motivation. I look forward to seeing great content on the channel.

13 Dave April 15, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Hey Brett. I’m not sure the most appropriate place to post this but somewhere you said that you read every single comment so I’m hoping you’ll read this one too. I just want to express my appreciation for your work and for what it’s done in my life. At the beginning of 2012 I was feeling sorry for myself over a relationship that had gone south and had developed (to borrow one of your terms) a what’s-the-use, jaded view of life. I was spending most of my free time playing computer games and watching movies. I was ceasing to care about a lot of things. One day while working out and listening to news articles (I textaloud them) I came across one on you and your work. In it you said you did it to help boys who were still living in Mom and Dad’s basement playing video games, and those words went straight to my heart. So I decided to check out your site and over the past year I’ve read/listened to (via textaloud) hundreds of your articles and read dozens of the books from your reading lists. (I’ve also bought a few of your book sets but have given them all away as gifts to my brothers.) Your articles are well written, balanced, insightful, poignant, stirring, substantive, and real. Some of my favorites are the series on resilience, “The World Belongs to Those Who Hustle,” “Don’t Should All Over Yourself,” “Can’t Have the Sweet Without the Bitter,” “Hold Fast,” “Lessons in Manliness …” (from Dante, Old Man and the Sea, etc.), and the recent series on Jack London and thumos. In short, the Art of Manliness has become my mentor. I still have a ways to go, but I feel like I’m slowly and steadily transforming into the kind of man I’ve long wanted to be but didn’t know how. I’ve moved away from my parents and am now going after my dream job. So thank you Brett, and Kate, for doing what you do, and for putting your heart into it. This world is a better place because of you. Keep up the good work and may God bless you for it!

14 Alexander Lopez April 25, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Speaking for myself here: I’d appreciate anything about having adequate social skills and a manly fashion sense. Being a reclusive artisan since high school (luthiers rarely leave our nests) has made me feel awkward among people, especially females. That’s why I always fall for guitar-playing women!