Outfitted & Equipped: Sunny Spring Patio Happy Hour

by A Manly Guest Contributor on March 14, 2013 · 14 Comments

in Dress & Grooming, Outfitted & Equipped, Style, Visual Guides

spring3

Editor’s note: This gallery is curated by Joe Weber from Dappered.com.

I’ve been getting lots of requests from companies to sponsor an edition of Outfitted and Equipped lately (no, this one isn’t sponsored — the sponsor wanted me to remove the valet at the last minute for not being cool enough, and I wouldn’t do it. Valets are awesome!). Since my very, very limited style sense has already been completely exhausted by the few we’ve already done, I called on my friend Joe from Dappered, a fantastic site on affordable men’s style, to help me curate these babies. I’m very excited to have him on board. For his first outing, he’s cooked up a very nice outfit for a springtime patio happy hour. The weather’s finally warming up — time to move your mingling outside. Here’s one look to put together when you do.

How does Outfitted and Equipped work? The FAQ.

1. The Shirt: JCP Oxford in blue solid. If you haven’t been into JC Penney in awhile, you might want to swing on in. They’ve made some changes recently, and one of the best new items is this fitted Oxford cloth button down shirt. Soft, won’t balloon out at the sides, and feels like a well-worn favorite despite looking sharp and put together.

2. The Pants: Lands’ End Tailored Pincord Trousers. Don’t freak out quite yet…they’re not bright white, but instead a grey pincord. Not seersucker, but tiny stripes on a lighter-weight cotton that’ll help keep you comfortable if you’re sitting in direct sun.  If you live in a colder climate (or you’re just headed to your favorite dive where you’d rather not have your pals give you a hard time about your choice of pants all afternoon) then feel free to swap in your favorite pair of dark wash jeans. Those will work too.

3. The Belt: Wheelman and Co. Thomas Belt Brown. The buckle is actually a pair of Military D-Rings from the mid-50s. An interesting, casual belt without getting too crazy. Made in the USA.

4. The Shoes: Claiborne Suede Oxfords. Some guys are okay with cheap shoes. Some guys aren’t. These are shockingly good for the price, and the solid deep brown suede makes for a somewhat casual option that lets you set your sneakers aside for awhile. Can’t bring yourself to wear such cheap shoes?  How’s the Allen Edmonds McTavish then?

5. The Sport Coat: 2 Button Linen Sport Coat. Linen keeps you feeling cool, while looking the part as well, once the weather warms up. This vintage option (check your local thrift stores) is a terrific find with the wider, but not enormous, lapels and timeless button stance.

6. The Sunglasses: Ray Ban New Wayfarer. Not as enormous as the traditional wayfarer, but classic enough that they’re not sporty wrap-around shades either. A perfect mix. (Note: This pair from Overstock claims to be the version with a 55mm Lens. Those fit most men with average to larger sized heads.)

7. The Watch: Bulova 96A102. Looks like you stumbled across a time capsule buried in your backyard and this was inside.  Question is, why would someone 70 years ago want to bury such a great looking watch? Affordable, too. It’s 40 mm in diameter which is the sweet spot for many an average-sized wrist.

8. The Clothing Organization Tool: Men’s Clothing Valet. Be prepared, right? Known as a clothes valet, silent valet, or valet stand, these fixtures were used by the efficient gentlemen of yesteryear. You can hang up and lay out what you’re going to wear the next day before hitting the sack. In the morning you can get dressed and out the door in a snap. You can find some nice antique ones on eBay at an affordable price.

9. The Wallet: Old Calgary Organic Wool Card Case. Instead of wrecking your spine by sitting on a George-Costanza-sized billfold all happy hour, slim down and use those extra pockets inside your blazer. Rugged and water resistant wool that’s handcrafted here in the USA.

___________________________________

Joe Weber is the Director and Editor of the affordable men’s style website, www.Dappered.com. He believes that living right, living well, and looking good doesn’t mean you should go broke in the process.

1 Jeremy March 14, 2013 at 6:29 pm

That Bulova watch is way overpriced. You’d be better off the Timex Weekender which is also Quartz movement: http://tinyurl.com/aqqgzjk

2 Nate Gilbert March 14, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I have a valet near identical to that. My wife found it either at a thrift store or garage sale. I love the thing. I use it all the time.

3 Robert Bain March 14, 2013 at 9:40 pm

So, um, those “oxford” shoes are not oxfords… they’re Bluchers (aka derbies.)

4 steve March 15, 2013 at 10:01 am

I concur, valet’s are great and this is a pretty fun ensemble. Also, good going on getting Joe from Dappered, it’s good to see 2 great sites collaborating.

5 Rob March 15, 2013 at 11:45 am

I just purchased the JCP shirt and Lands’ End pants. Thanks for the tips!

6 Mf91619 March 15, 2013 at 12:24 pm

The Bulova watch is overpriced for what it is and I believe I have the right to say that. (It’s one of my regular timepieces I wear.) however I think it has a much more stylized look than The Weekender ( which I no longer own, but really enjoyed wearing it.) They both have a different look to them and Bulova has been my brand since my grandfather gave me his from his younger years. Great ensemble though. Thanks for the article.

7 Zach March 15, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Hahaha I caught that George Castanza quote. He gets mad at Kramer because Kramer doesn’t have a wallet on him because he doesn’t like sitting on it all day. Bad for the spine…

8 Joseph March 17, 2013 at 7:56 am

Good on you for not removing the clothing valet. My father had one growing up, and it was the first thing on which I zeroed-in. Love the site.

9 Madhaxus March 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm

About that “timeless button stance,” I’ve seen that very button stance referred to as an “old man’s cut” over at Joe’s Dappered site. So, is it timeless or really dated?

10 Joe March 18, 2013 at 6:07 pm

@Madhaxus: I… might be mistaken, but I disagree? Looks like it’s neither too low nor too high? Sorta right inbetween. A touch higher than J. Crew’s ludlow lower slung stance that’s real popular right now. Might be getting something lost in translation here.

11 jeremy March 22, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Another cheaper alternative to the Bulova that has a lot of the military look of that Bulova is the Timex Expedition Military Field watch: http://tinyurl.com/aobwun5

Still a bargain at $45 — about half the price of the Bulova

12 Michael Hearst March 26, 2013 at 3:05 pm

These are nice pieces! I just purchased an ultra slim wallet (slim card carrier) from avalloneluxury.com. Its made from kidskin and Lamb Suede.

13 Joseph April 8, 2013 at 5:17 pm

As always Great article!! I live in South Carolina (good or bad im not sure lol) and the weather is the one thing i love here. Backyard patio parties and formal bbqs are regular events…they start earlier and last longer than many other places. These are some must have items for these events. Check out http://www.jhilburn.com for some very nice ideas as well!! High quality products and much lower prices than department stores that sell similar quality.

14 Chris September 18, 2013 at 7:15 am

Your shoe choice is good. However they are Brogues not Oxfords. I had to do a double take because suede Oxfords would a be really strange choice here.