Upgrade the Humble Bologna Sandwich + AoM Month of Sandwiches Group Project

by Brett on March 8, 2013 · 483 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

sandwich

Men and sandwiches have always gone together. Sandwiches originally started out as a food enjoyed by men who wanted something convenient to fuel their nights of drinking and gaming. The food famously got its name from John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, who, in order to keep his hands from getting greasy while munching on a slab of meat during a game of cribbage, had his valet stick the meat between two slices of bread. Fast, inexpensive, portable, and filling, the sandwich grew in popularity as a convenient meal for any old time.

I know I love me a good sandwich. Reubens, Cubans, Tortas, Monte Cristos. If there’s meat, cheese, and other goodness stuffed between two slices of bread, I like it. But one of my favorites growing up, and still today, is the humble bologna sandwich.

It was standard fare whenever I brown-bagged it to school. In the summertime, it was an easy sandwich to make for my seven-year-old self. Just pull out the meat from the cold-cuts drawer in the fridge, slap some mustard on some Iron Kids Bread, and you’re in business. All washed down with a big glass of  cold milk.

As an adult, I’ve pretty much eliminated bologna sandwiches from my diet because, let’s be honest, they’re not the healthiest thing to eat by any stretch. But every few months, I get a hankering for one (especially during the summer). So I’ll go to the grocery store, buy my bologna sandwich supplies, and have a bologna sandwich splurge. It’s a wonderful thing.

Two Simple Upgrades for Your Bologna Sandwich to Make it Even Awesomer

There isn’t too much you can do to make a bologna sandwich any better. Its beauty is in its simplicity: bologna, white bread, American cheese, mustard, and maybe some lettuce and tomato. But below I humbly suggest two simple upgrades that can make your bologna sandwich even better.

frybologna

Fry up your bologna for extra tasty goodness.

1. Fry up your bologna. Growing up, my family just ate our bologna cold, straight from the fridge. It never crossed my mind that you could warm it up. Why would you? Bologna is a cold-cut after all. But a few years ago, I came across an article where a person recommended frying up your bologna before putting it in the sandwich. Intrigued, I gave it a try. When I bit into my sandwich I felt like Paul on the Road to Damascus or Neo taking the Red Pill. I experienced a paradigm shift. Fried bologna sandwiches are awesome. If you’ve never done it before, give it a try. You won’t regret it.

As it cooks, the bologna gives off a nice savory smell. Sort of like Spam. The center of the bologna puffs up, causing it to look like those half-ball jumping toys. I like to put my cheese on the sandwich and then the hot bologna on the cheese. The heat from the meat gives the cheese just the right amount of melt.

chips

Potato chips give your sandwich a nice, salty crunch.

2. Put potato chips on the sandwich. This was something my mom taught me. The potato chips give the otherwise soft texture of a bologna sandwich a nice, salty crunch. Personally, I think Ruffles are the best accompaniment to a bologna sandwich. The ridges make the difference.

I actually enjoy putting chips (and Cheetos — Cheetos make every sandwich better) on most of my cold-cut sandwiches. I’ve met a few people who are chips-on-sandwich people, too. It’s fun introducing those who have no idea about the concept and seeing them become zealous converts.

The Art of Manliness Month of Sandwiches Group Project

dagwood

As I said earlier, I love a good sandwich and I know I’m not alone in my appreciation for this gratifying gastronomical genre. I’m always on the lookout for new sandwich combos and I thought,  what better place to get some ideas than from the amazing AoM community? That’s when I had the idea for the Art of Manliness Month of Sandwiches Group Project.

Here’s how I see it working:

1. If you have a sandwich recipe that’s a personal favorite and you think the whole world needs to know about it, please leave it in the comments below. I’m looking for all kinds of sandwiches. Simple, complex, classics with a twist, international sandwiches, breakfast sandwiches, whatever. If there’s stuff in between bread and it tastes good, I want to see it.

2. We’ll comb through and try those that look to be the best sandwich recipe submissions.

3. Every weekday in the month of April (hereby declared the AoM Month of Sandwiches), I’ll publish one new amazing sandwich recipe along with pics of me putting it together and eating the crap out of it. By the end of the month, you’ll have 22 new sandwich recipes in your sandwich-making arsenal.

To entice folks to submit a sandwich, I’ll be giving away a signed copy of Manvotionals to each person whose sandwich we feature during the Month of Sandwiches. Sound good?

Looking forward to reading your submissions! Long live the sandwich!

301 Rob March 10, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I love the SVT-DW44 (OLIVE) at the huckberry store!

302 Mark Adkins March 10, 2013 at 3:58 pm

World-class PB&J

The layers are (bottom to top):

- toasted wheat/multigrain bread
- crunchy PB
- strawberry jam
- sliced strawberries
- toasted wheat/multigrain bread
- smooth PB
- sliced bananas (sliced lengthwise for better coverage)
- drizzle of honey
- toasted wheat/multigrain bread

303 Matthew March 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm

• fry up some bacon
• fry pieces of left over chicken (preferably rotisserie) skin and all in the left over grease.
• toast bread
• spread on desired condiments. (I like mayonnaise and BBQ sauce.)
• place chicken and bacon on sandwich. If you are a garlic man this is when I add a small mixture of olive oil and freshly pressed garlic.
• Put provolone cheese on top.
• Place sandwich open faced in the oven (middle or lower rack) on broil until cheese is completely melted.
• let stand for a few moments and enjoy.

304 Mr Halbert March 10, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Kiss-Me-Not Sandwich.
Slather two slice of plain white bread (Bunny Brand if you can find it) with Yellow Mustard, and place a slice of onion between them(whole way across).Enjoy with RC Cola(or your choice), and have a real taste of the South.

305 Rupr March 10, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Banana japle

Toast and butter, with sliced bananas inside. As good as it gets.

306 Hunter March 10, 2013 at 4:25 pm

My family has always done it fried style. I have never seen anyone eat bologna cold in my house or my grandparents’ house. And if you make 4 small cuts on the edges, 90 degrees apart, then it won’t puff up as much and it will cook more evenly so it gets crisper all around. And it looks like you are using a cast iron skillet, does that taste any better, Brett?

307 Thealmighty March 10, 2013 at 4:47 pm

2 Slices bread (toasted)
1 egg (fried)
2 scoops Peanut butter
1 Slice cheese
Sriracha to top it off

Spread Peanut butter on both slices of toast, put egg and cheese between and cover with sriracha. Put it together and Thank me Later.

308 lee lovorn March 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm

cut the bologna in from the edge about 1.5″ every 90 degrees (4 cuts at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o’ clock), fry to your preference of crispiness, set aside on a warming plate, fry one egg (your preference again), once the egg is done, put your slice of processed goodness back in the skillet to warm, lay a slice of cheddar cheese on it , and cover it all with the fried egg.Once melted together, Install on toasted bread with mustard and mayo.

309 Phil March 10, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Chicago classic, especially on Fridays.

Pepper and Egg Sandwich

2 – 3 eggs
1/3 to 1/2 cup of green bell pepper (sliced or diced),

1/4 to 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.

1 – 2 tablespoons of beef consomme or drippings (optional)

French roll (lightly toasted)

Scramble eggs and add peppers, cheese and beef consomme. Cook in butter or margarine over low heat, so cheese melts and peppers cook. Place on roll and put in a 350 oven for 5 – 10 minutes.

310 KC March 10, 2013 at 4:53 pm

You cant beat a slice of honey oat, some good butter and a spreading of smoky BBQ sauce. Simple perfection

311 Dan The Man March 10, 2013 at 4:58 pm

1 Hearty Sub Roll
Shredded lettuce (prefer Romaine but Iceberg works too)
Tomato
Sharp Provolone
Smoked Turkey
Italian Dressing (light version work well)
Red Wine Vinegar

Take shredded lettuce and the tomato. Toss thoroughly in italian dressing with a few dashes of vinegar. Let marinade for a few minutes or longer. (Improves the taste). Gouge some bread out of the inside of the roll. You want to make something that looks like a trench. Construct sandwich from inside out as follows: tomato, turkey, cheese, lettuce. Construction is key in that you get flavor in every bit.

The sharp provolone I use is from an Italian grocer down the street. The bread varies from store bought rolls to ones I make myself. The turkey is usually whatever the supermarket has available. In my humble opinion, Boars Head is the best though. Make sure the lettuce and tomato are fresh for best results.

312 Everett March 10, 2013 at 5:17 pm

“Mattchete” Sandwich

Aptly named after my good friend and then co-worker, this sandwich got us through many cleanup sessions at the end of a hard day at work – an aberrant take on a PB&J.

Chunky peanut butter
Lingonberry jelly (or flavor to your liking)
Slice of cheddar cheese
Sliced dill pickle
Franz 9-grain bread

Try it.

313 Jeff C. March 10, 2013 at 5:51 pm

2 Slices of whole wheat bread
1 can of tuna
A nice sized dollop of mayo
And Tabasco sauce
slice o’ cheese that you please

Get a bowl and mix the tuna, mayo and Tabasco. The Tabasco isn’t necessary but I’ve found that it gives it a nice zest.

Club crackers go great as a side.

An other sandwich I make on a regular basis is basically all the lunch meats we had in the fridge. This would be turkey, ham, salami, then cheese, of course Tabasco, then toasted in the microwave.

I lived off of these summer after summer.

314 Raw March 10, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Adding chips to sandwiches is great. PB&J with a few chips in the middle is legit.

Sandwich #1: The Banh Mi

Spread mayo on Subway-type Italian bread. Layer Asian-marinated roast pork, cucumber slices, pickled carrots & daikon, and cilantro. Spread some hot garlic chili paste for heat. Enjoy.

Sandwich #2: The Cuban

Spread mustard on Cuban bread (if not available, Subway-style can be substituted). Layer mojo-marinated shredded roast pork, thin slices of hot ham, pickles, and swiss cheese. Grill in sandwich press or flatten with frying pan while grilling in another pan.

315 Guy March 10, 2013 at 7:08 pm

As a child I discovered that peanut butter and bologna on toast is pretty tasty. The salty bologna and the sweat peanut butter combine well. The toast adds texture and melts the peanut butter just a bit.

I used to eat this for breakfast all the time as a kid. My dad even started doing it.

316 Bill March 10, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Dad’s Fried Egg sandwich
1. Fry an egg. the yolk must be broken and the egg should be firm but not rubbery.
Get two slices of white bread. Mayonnaise goes on one slice, yellow mustard on the other.
3. This is important. Lettuce goes on the mayonnaise side; the egg goes on the mustard side. NEVER the other way around!
4. Put the two sides together. Eat. Enjoy.

317 Jayme March 10, 2013 at 7:14 pm

6 dill pickle chips
3 slices tomato
4 slices turkey
2 slices Swiss cheese
2 pimiento stuffed green olives
Handful of Ruffles Potato Chips
Lay the three slices of sourdough out on a cutting board. Smear two of them with a tablespoon each of the deli mustard. Smear the last one with mayonnaise. Top one of the mustard smeared slices of sourdough with the ham, cheese, lettuce, and bologna.Top the second mustard smeared slice of sourdough with the salami, pickle chips, tomato slices, turkey, Swiss cheese, Ruffles and the third slice of sourdough, mayonnaise side down. Stack this unit on top of the first mustard smeared slice. Skewer each green olive with a toothpick. Secure the sandwich with these.

318 Brian March 10, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Three slices of bread
As much turkey (my choice, do what thou wilt) as you can fit
Mozzerella or muenster cheese
Brown mustard mixed with mayo

Take all that, monte carlo it up with an eggwash, then fry til youre satisfied (i like mine dark enough to be confused with burnt)

Pair with chips, a couple dill spears and a beer and youve got the most delicious, if terrible for you, sandwich lunch/dinner i can imagine.

319 Blair Brown March 10, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Spread crunchy peanut butter on a piece of wheat bread, put fresh banana slices on it, and top it off with chunks of Hershey’s Special Dark.

320 Andrew K. March 10, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Fried eggs, bacon, and peanut-butter in between 2 pieces of toast. ( I like it on cinnamon raisin bread, but white or whole wheat are both good as well)

321 Mark Nydell March 10, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Pastrami and Cabbage Sandwich

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 teaspoon celery seeds
½ teaspoon caraway seeds
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1½ tablespoons mustard
4 sourdough sandwich rolls
6-8 tablespoons roasted red pepper dressing (or Russian dressing)
1 pound thinly sliced pastrami meat
4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over a medium flame until hot. Once the oil is hot, add the cabbage, celery seeds, caraway seeds, salt and pepper and stir until ingredients are well mixed. Cook the cabbage mixture until the cabbage is soft and wilting, about two to three minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and mustard. Spread mayo mixture on one or both halves of each sandwich roll. Spoon the desired amount of cabbage mixture on the bottom half of roll. Pour red pepper dressing over cabbage–the more the dressing, the messier the sandwich! Next, pile the pastrami on, cover with cheese and place the top half of the bread on the rest of the sandwich. Put the assembled sandwich on a cookie sheet and bake for ten minutes or until the meat is hot and the cheese is melted.

Serve your sandwich bliss with your favorite chips and a spicy pickle spear. Enjoy!

*On a side note, I wanted to share a bit of background. I grew up with a father that was a professional French chef. He cooked all his life, it was his passion. He worked in numerous restaurants during his career and eventually even opened a few of his own. It seemed that the only time my brother and I ever saw him was if we visited him at work, and that is exactly what we would do. I grew up in the kitchen watching my dad create beautiful culinary masterpieces.

Needless to say, through my constant shadowing he taught me the fine art of cooking. When he passed away last year at the young age of 57, the legacy he left behind was the knowledge I had in the kitchen and the courage he gave me to create new masterpieces of my own. I have had a few duds through the years but I have also wowed myself with others. Hopefully, this creation is a wow moment for you…it is for me!

322 John March 10, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Pepperoni rolls are something that are practically never seen out of Appalachia, which is a crime. Take a sweet roll recipe and instead of making regular rolls, squish a bit of roll dough flat and put a few pieces of pepperoni in there. Adding cheese (especially pepperjack) or peppers is acceptable, but the original is just pepperoni. Roll up your little bit of dough into a bundle, pop it in the oven, and bake it however long you would normally bake your roll recipe. For added manliness, the pepperoni roll was invented in West Virginia as an easy to transport cheap lunch for miners.

323 Josh E. March 10, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I studied abroad in Europe one semester. The university I was staying at had these sandwiches that we would take for travelling food – and I quickly found that they kept forever, since they were made with butter instead of mayo.

That experience ruined need for complex food forever – and now I still enjoy these simple sandwiches:
- Bread, Butter, Cheddar
- Bread, Butter, Ham
- Bread, Butter, Turkey

Also in France they sold Ham & Butter sandwiches- on french bread. I would commonly buy/ make/ eat these sandwiches – sometimes with a little provolone or farmer’s cheese to spice it up.

I also love BLT’s – Toasted bread, mayo, bacon, lettuce, tomato. I love that the mayo gets warm & melty when you put it on the toast.

324 michael... March 10, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Taylor Pork Roll sandwich! Similar to the fried bologna. Pork roll is pretty much confined to the greater Philadelphia and Jersey shore areas, although you can get it online shipped in a cold pac. i remember Taylor Pork Roll shops on the Atlantic City Boardwalk, back in the early 60′s.

2 slices pork roll, lightly fried on a
griddle

melt 1 slice white American cheese on it

serve on a white bread hamburger bun with sweet or dill pickle, catsup or mustard according to taste

325 Matthew M March 10, 2013 at 11:56 pm

My fav for a crisp cooler on a hot summer day is 3 slices of bacon fried crisp, recently picked (from the garden if you have it) green-leaf lettuce, thick home grown tomato slices, avocado slices, and a great whole-wheat bread. For a pick-me-up kick, add a sprinkle of cayenne, or chipotle pepper for a smokey hot that’s excellent with bacon!

If you don’t have home grown, or at least locally grown organic tomatoes, you sacrifice at least half of the greatness of this sandwich.

326 Jack Pelletier March 11, 2013 at 12:04 am

Layers from bottom to top:
Sourdough bread slice
mayonaise
spicy mustard
cold cut turkey(can substitute for chicken)
lettuce
second piece of sourdough
more turkey
pickles
jalepenos
bacon
third piece of sourdough

Hope you enjoy!

327 Erik March 11, 2013 at 1:01 am

Low sodium ‘Ezekiel’ brand whole grain bread.
peanut butter
boysenberry jam
sprinkle ovaltine on the jam
put second piece of bread.
Crazy combo, but hey, not too bad!

328 Scott Hackleman March 11, 2013 at 1:02 am

This is a old sandwitch my grandfather always made when I was growing up. I know it sounds weird, but don’t knock it until you try it. Take 2 slices of white bread, put creamy peanut butter on one, miracle whip on the other. Take 2 hot dogs and cut them in half longways and place them on the peanut butter. Lastly toss on a slice of American cheese and assemble. Anyone I have talked into trying it liked it.

329 Michael March 11, 2013 at 1:58 am

Peanut butter and green apple. Sour kick with nuts

330 Sam March 11, 2013 at 2:02 am

Well, this one’s a rip-off of Indian (specifically Bombay) street food. Rather elaborate, (like Indian cuisine, but you might just like it). I can guarantee it’s more filling than the usual PBJ sandwiches so far.

Brown-Bread
Butter
Mint Chutney (blend mint leaves cilantro, ginger and half a green-chilly)
sliced boiled potatoes
sliced cucumber
sliced onion
Tomato Ketchup
pepper
Mint chutney
Butter
White-Bread

For best results, stuff the lot in a waffle-iron, and serve quartered…
Not the quickest recipe… But the most rewarding, esp. if you’re cooking for more than 1 person…

331 klaxto March 11, 2013 at 2:14 am

bread
mayo
more mayo
sorrow

332 Daniel March 11, 2013 at 2:21 am

The Camping mans breakfast

- take spam, sear it in a pan, the (if youre camping) cook some dehydrated eggs up, you can use regular eggs if you arent camping, put it all on campfire toasted white bread and enjoy with a delicious but terribly bitter cup of cowboy coffee..

it tastes completely average, but while camping it tastes like the nourishment of the gods

333 Nick Healy March 11, 2013 at 2:56 am

I call it the “Gordon” after the street I lived on when I made it. Its simple and great.

You need:
- thinly sliced black forest ham
- slice of harvarti cheese
- few rings of red onion
-a ciabatta bun
- either a toaster oven or an oven with a grill option

1) cut bun in half and put, open side facing heating element in grill/toaster oven.
2) when bread is lightly brown, remove one half and cover remaining half in layer of ham being careful to not allow any bread showing (or it will burn).
3) When ham is warmed and starting to brown, add onions on top and let them cook a bit but not long enough to burn ham.
4) Top with cheese and let it melt.
5)put other half of sandwich on top of cheese and let it brown a bit.
5) eat

It takes a few minutes to brown everything and you have to watch it to prevent burning but its great. Regular bread won’t due BTW. There is no sauce. Ciabatta is buttery enough compensate. Don’t add sauce either since it will mask the tastes (ham, cheese, onion).

334 Simon Barber March 11, 2013 at 4:58 am

My two favourite sandwiches here in the uk:

Fish finger sandwich
. Two slices of white bread
. 4 100% cod fish fingers (fried or grilled)
. Tomato sauce

Butter up the bread and lay the fish fingers on and give a good squirt of ketchup.
Not the healthiest but oh so good on a cold day.

Bacon, Brie and cranberry.

.White baguette
.Danish bacon, not streaky
.Brie
.cranberry sauce

Butter the baguette and grill the bacon to taste.
Put the bacon in the baguette and put a couple of slices of soft brie on the bacon.
Put the open baguette under the grill to melt the cheese a little.
Top the brie with some cranberry sauce.

Job done, delicious!

335 Ben March 11, 2013 at 6:38 am

Eggy Cheesey Goods

This was a house special in my student days, mainly due to it containing the hangover helping trinity of fats, protein and tasty stodge.

Ingredients (makes 2 sandwiches)

4 thick slices crusty bread
2 slab-like slices of good cheddar
5 medium/large eggs
1 onion
6-10 mushrooms
pepper
rosemary
olive oil
brown sauce

Instructions

Beat the eggs, pepper and rosemary together with a fork, then pour into a large flat dish. Lay the bread into the dish (this may have to be done in batches). Leave for two minutes then turn bread over.

Fry the onion and mushroom in olive oil over a medium heat until translucent (onion) and soft (mushroom). Set aside.

Fry first slice of bread over medium/high heat until golden brown on both sides. Slap it on a plate, add cheese THEN onions and mushrooms. This allows the cheese to melt while you fry the second slice of eggy bread.

Fry second slice, add brown sauce and complete your sandwich.

Eat, messily and with much satisfaction. If you’ve got it perfect, the cheese should be melted enough to ooze slightly, but not burning the mouth or running out the sides of the sandwich.

336 Henry March 11, 2013 at 6:48 am

Three Cheese Italian Club

1 slice of provolone
1 slice of mozzarella
grated parmesean cheese
salami
ham
capicola
italian dressing
a pinch of garlic powder
easy on the mayo

you can add lettuce (romaine),tomatoes, and a little bit of diced onions on white bread

Deliciousness!

337 Yves March 11, 2013 at 7:21 am

Ingredients :
- french bread (baguette)
- camembert
- rasped carrots

Cut the bread in two, put the camembert inside. Warm up in the oven 2 min to melt the camembert and warm the bread, and put the rasped carrots afterwards. The cool, crunchy carrots combine very well with the warm, soft molten camembert.

338 Thomas March 11, 2013 at 8:06 am

First thing, fry some bacon (maybe peppered bacon).
Second, slice up a Granny Smith (or other tart apple).
Third, butter some whole grain bread (I like a darker bread here).

Layer bread with apple, bacon, a good melting cheese (mozarella or gruyere) and a cheese which has a flavor you like (edam or munster for me) making sure the butter is facing out.

Fry the best grilled cheese ever in a tablespoon of the leftover bacon grease to desired doneness.

339 David B March 11, 2013 at 8:12 am

Buffalo Poboy

Take you a nice hot fresh piece of french bread.
Spread you a little ranch and remoulade sauce on there.
Chop some fried chicken or shrimp, throw it in a bag a buffalo hot sauce, get it good a marinated.
Spread it out ova the french bread.
Top with some chopped tomato, onion, little bit of lettuce, and some banana peppers to set it all off.
Pour a little tobasco on for good measure.
Bon Apetit

340 Ben March 11, 2013 at 8:31 am

Grill a pb&j just like a cheese sandwich. You can thank me later.

341 Luke March 11, 2013 at 8:38 am

In eastern Canada bologna is affectionally known as round steak.
It’s a favorite.

342 Matthew Phelps March 11, 2013 at 8:44 am

This is my favorite breakfast sandwich. Start by toasting a piece of bread. (I like to use honey wheat like those made by Pepperidge Farms or Arnold) While the bread toasts fry an egg making sure to leave the yoke a tad runny. Season the egg with salt, pepper, and chives. (Fresh chives if possible) Spread peanut butter on toast, place seasoned egg on top of peanut butter, and finish off with hot sauce. (Best with Cholula) I chose to eat this open face so I can direct the yoke to all possible corners while eating it. Plus it’s very filling with the one piece of bread, but feel free to use two. It is easy and fairly quick to make while still waking up. I find this sandwich along with a cup of black coffee and a piece of fruit the best thing to have after my morning workout.

343 Dan K. March 11, 2013 at 8:47 am

A Famous Sandwich in Buffalo, NY is the Beef on Weck. The key to the sandwich is the roll. It’s called a kummelweck roll and has salt and caraway on it. Recipe below is from Wikipedia. You can just buy some pre-cut. roast beef from the store. Warm it a bit. You will probably have trouble finding a kummelweck roll outside of Western NY. Recipe to make an easy one is below.

A typical beef on weck sandwich is made from slow-roasted rare roast beef that is hand carved in thin slices to provide about ½-inch (about 1.3cm) of meat on the bottom half of the roll. The cut face of the top half of the roll may be dipped in the jus from the roast. Prepared horseradish is usually provided for the diner to spread on the top half of the roll to taste. The traditional side dishes for a beef on weck are french fries and a kosher dill pickle spear.

Kummelweck Roll – makes 4 rolls

4 Kaiser rolls
¼ cup cold water
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp coarse salt
1 tbsp caraway seeds
Preheat an oven to 425 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine the cold water and cornstarch until it is dissolved. Place the rolls on a sheet pan and liberally brush the cornstarch mixture on top. Evenly sprinkle the salt and caraway seeds on top of the rolls and place in the oven. Bake until the rolls are golden brown and crisp; about 5 minutes.

344 Samuel Warren March 11, 2013 at 8:51 am

You were close with your bologna sandwich above, but it SHOULD go some like this:

Bread
Jalapenos
Bologna
Cheese
Bologna
Cheese
Ruffles
Mustard
Bread

in that order.

When you cook the bologna right before it’s done, put the cheese on the bologna in the pan. 30 seconds and it’ll be melted to the bologna (as it should be).

345 Michael B March 11, 2013 at 9:00 am

Crab Cake BLT
Simple to make and tastes great!

1 Crab Cake (Store bought, from a restaurant, or homemade)
1 leaf of lettuce (I use Bibb Lettuce)
2 slices Tomato
3 pieces of smoked bacon (my local Fresh Market sells Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Bacon)
2 slices of beard (I go with Pepperidge Farm 100% Whole Wheat Bread)
Salt and Pepper
Optional: Hollandaise Sauce

1. Cook or reheat crab cake.

2. Cook bacon to desired doneness. Method of cooking does not matter; microwave, stove top, or iron.

3. While bacon is cooking, slice tomato. One tomato should yield four slices. Add a little salt to the two slices you do not need and have a snack while you wait for the bacon to finish.

4. Wash off lettuce leaf and pat dry using a paper towel.

5. Once everything is cooked, it is time to assemble the sandwich. Assemble order follows, starting from the bottom:
Bread slice
Lettuce
Tomato slices (2)
Bacon pieces (3)
Crab Cake
Salt and Pepper
Optional Hollandaise sauce
Bread slice

6. Enjoy!

346 Pierre March 11, 2013 at 10:04 am

I like the grilled spamwich,

first you slice a can of spam, and grill the slices, then add some lettuce, yellow mustard, and cheese onto some bread – any bread will do really – and grill that. After it is grilled, I usually add some lettuce, tomato, pickles, onion, sauerkraut, and jalapenos but adding anything to taste is good.

347 Michael March 11, 2013 at 10:29 am

1) 2# roast
1) jar pepperocinni peppers
1) bottle dark beer
Combine above ing. in slow cooker and cook for aprox six hrs. When meat is cooked, shred and serve on crusty roll with provolone cheese.

348 Patrick March 11, 2013 at 10:34 am

Ok, here’s the deal: I like meat and I like eggs. Anytime you can put the two together, it’s a thing of gastronomical beauty. I don’t have a fancy name for this sandwich, but it’s sort of a mix between a reuben and a cheese steak with a twist.

The bread: rye (I prefer dark; you want that pungent taste be the first thing to engage the taste buds)

The sauce: just you’re typical 1,000 island or russian dressing. But not too much — you don’t want it to over power the rest of the flavors.

The cheese: provolone (I like it over swiss because it’s smokey flavor doesn’t overpower everything else)

The fixins: mushrooms, onions, and kraut (OK, so maybe Ron Swanson wouldn’t be so happy about this, but trust me — it works; just keep it lighter on the kraut).

The meat: corned beef (steak is good too, but who doesn’t want corned-beef?)

Preparation: so, first, dice your onions and slice the mushrooms and saute them in some butter or oil (lower heat). Also, put the corned beef on some heat to give it a bit of crispiness at the edges (not too much, though, you want it to stay moist). Also, toast your rye on a flat-top griddle. Add a little dressing to each piece as they toast. Add the provolone to one piece. Place the corned beef on the over piece of bread and then add the kraut (room temp, little liquid) and mushroom/onion mix on top of the meat. Now here’s the twist: fry up an over-easy egg and place it on next; make sure it’s over-easy. Finally, put the provoloned piece of rye on top and then press the sandwich until the yoke breaks and smothers everything in golden goodness. Serve immediately.

It won’t win any healthy eats awards, but it’s good.

349 Lauren March 11, 2013 at 10:37 am

Dofino havarti just worked with celeb chef Elizabeth Falkner on creating a tartine recipe. If you prefer a regular sandwich (sometimes you just want to grab it on both ends), you can always add another piece of bread on top!

Ingredients:
8 slices bacon
4 slices Dofino Havarti Cheese
1 bunch Tuscan Kale, stemmed and finely shredded
8 per sandwich peppadew pickled peppers (sweet piquanté peppers)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
4 slices focaccia or sour dough bread

Full recipe: http://dofinousa.com/recipe/elizabeth-falkners-dofino-havarti-bacon-kale-and-pepper-tartine/

350 Justin March 11, 2013 at 10:48 am

I love the kiss-me-not sandwich. To really make it rock, make it a Vidella (sp?) onion and a pinch of salt.

When I was a kid and sick, I would look all sad and pathetic and sometimes my mom would make me, on white bread, a pb and marshmellow cream sandwich. Pure nervana. Biggest pain in the rear to make, though. Imagine spreading marshmellow cream on bread.
I never buy the cream, but I have had a pb and nutella sandwich. Also, my brother used to always love toast with butter/margarine and brown sugar on top.

351 Justin March 11, 2013 at 10:51 am

My all-time favorite breakfast sandwich. Take a good, buttery biscuit, top with fried country ham and top off with apple butter (my church has always made fresh apple butter every fall, so I have no idea what the stuff at the store taste like). Great buttery, salty, sweet start to the day.

352 Darragh March 11, 2013 at 11:21 am

The Egg Chanwich
First layer slice of bread,
next a layer of cheese, (i use a mature cheddar)
put a small bit of butter on the middle of the cheese layer,
Fry an egg, whatever way u prefer, put on the cheese,
another layer of cheese goes on the egg,
then another fried egg,
another layer of cheese, and the last slice of bread.

Only ate this once, after an intense weekend of hiking, it was rather wonderful

353 Charles March 11, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I absolutely love sandwiches. They are my favorite food. For my birthday this past year, my wife prepared a special dinner of lots of different deli meat, bread, and cheese options. I never tire of sandwiches of any kind.

Pimiento Cheese

Pimiento cheese (or “pimiento and cheese,” for you yankees) is fantastic. You can eat on crackers, celery, by itself, or in a sandwich. Shred a bunch of extra-sharp cheddar. Some people get more complicated and throw in some monterey jack or pepper jack. I like to keep it simple – just extra sharp cheddar, shredded. Do not use pre-shredded cheese. It tastes bad, and it has the wrong consistency. Get a jar of pimientos. Generally, an 8 oz. block of cheese goes with the small (1.5 oz ?) jars of pimientos. Pour half to a third of the pimientos into your hand over the sink. Squeeze out excess juice. Toss the pimientos in your hand into the shredded cheese. Squeeze out another third of the jar of pimientos. Add to cheese. Now, you’ve just kind of got to estimate whether there’s too much juice left in the pimiento jar. What you’re shooting for is a pimiento cheese consistency that is like a thick mortar. You don’t want it liquidy. You want it to be so thick that you can’t dip a saltine in it without breaking the cracker. And remember that you will be adding mayonnaise to it. After you get all the pimientos in, add mayo. Keep in mind what I said above about consistency, and remember that you can always add more mayo, but you can’t take away. You don’t want the pimiento cheese to taste like mayonnaise. The mayo just serves as a light dressing on the cheese and pimientos. Now, crack plenty of fresh black pepper into it. Add several dashes of hot sauce. I like Cholula. Mix together. Enjoy. I like it on crackers, or you can make a sandwich with it. I think it’s best on lightly toasted whole grain bread. I’ve also had it on a burger, for a pimiento cheese burger. It was fantastic.

354 David Bourne March 11, 2013 at 12:25 pm

The Bahn Mi
The best Vietnamese sandwich ever
- first smoke a brined bone in Boston butt(pork shoulder)
-Then when it is so tender you can take the bone out with your hands shred it into big pieces. and place it on a warm crusty baguette ( Vietnamese food has lots of french influence in there cuisine)
- top with siracha mayonnaise (equal parts of both) cilantro, and pickled carrots, dikon radish, and pickled peppers
best sandwich ever!

355 Greg March 11, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Grilled cheese and ham and bacon and clogged arteries

Bread – Oatnut or grain of your choice
Cheese – American. 2 slices. At least.
Meat – Deli sliced smoked ham. Man sized portion.
More meat – 2-3 slices of bacon, or more.

Butter the bread – one side only
Lay a slice of bread on a med-hot skillet, then a slice of cheese, then the ham, then the bacon, then another piece of cheese, then the other piece of buttered bread. Let it toast, then flip.

356 Matthew March 11, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Peanut butter and fried egg

It does not sound like it goes together, but I tell you growing up this was the best lunch sandwich my dad would make (and only when my mom was not home) it is simple to build but the complex flavors are awesome.
Wheat Bread, toasted of course
Fries egg, salt and pepper a must
Chunky peanut butter gave it a great texture, but creamy is just as great
Enjoy a simple but fun sandwich

If you were adventurous (like my brother) you would add mayo

357 Andy March 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Midwestern Philly

This is a must-try, even if it doesn’t make the monthly post.

Tools and Supplies:
- Sirloin steak (or venison/elk/etc)
- 1 large onion
- 2 bell peppers (mix up the color for extra fancy)
- Baby Bella (or other) mushrooms
- hoagie buns
- Cheese Whiz
- Salt and pepper
- Butter

- Griddle/skillet (pans are fine, griddle works nice if it’s big enough)

Prep:
- Beat the attitude out of the sirloin steak until nice and tender
- Slice steak against grain into thin strips
- Clean and slice onion and peppers
- Clean and slice mushrooms
- Split hoagie buns and butter the inside (I like them attached on one side like a bratwurst bun)

Cook:
- Get that griddle hot
- Put hoagie buns on griddle butter side down to toast
- Toss on veggies with a little butter, salt and pepper to start the sear and get your company drooling
- Move veggies to side to continue cooking until carmelized (covering with a pan lid works well)
- Rebutter griddle if needed, toss a handful of sirloin strips on and dust with salt and pepper
- Don’t overcook the sirloin, this step goes very quickly

Plate:
- Take toasted hoagie bun off, smear liberally with Cheese Whiz
- Pile high with meat WWTRD (What Would Teddy Roosevelt Do?)
- Top with a generous slathering of veggies
- Close that baby up and devour it

Sirloin (or vennie or elk) has a flavor that stands on its own. It’s tempting to want to overseason here, but try it this basic way first and you will be happy you did.

Enjoy, I know you will.

358 Jess March 11, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Make a PB and J with crunchy PB, your choice of jelly.

Bake in oven until bread is toasted.

Open sandwich add Spicy Nacho Doritos.

Close sandwich.

359 Craigan March 11, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Bacon Fajita/Guac Grilled Chicken Samich

1 Chicken Breast (Butterfly if the breast is thick)
3 Slices Bacon

Preheat Foreman Grill. Coat Chicken and Bacon with your favorite Fajita seasoning. Place on Grill, lower lid. Yes, I cook my bacon on the Foreman Grill. Cook about 4 minutes and turn, continue cooking until chicken and bacon are done. Chicken juice will run clear when pricked when it is done. A Man knows what bacon looks like when it’s done! Cook time should be under 10 minutes.

Toast bread. I like a hearty wheat with grain. Rye would be good or cut off a couple slices of French/Italian. (I use the toaster oven to accommodate Manly slices of bread)

Guac
1 Med. Avocado (peel, deseed, mash)
1 Roma Tom. (deseed, dice)
1 Jalapeno (dice, leave seeds for heat)
2T Cilantro (rough cut)
1/4 c Onion (diced)
Dash of Lime juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix above ingredients

Place one slice of toast on the grill. Sprinkle with finely shredded cheddar jack cheese. Place bacon and Chicken. Spread a couple spoonfuls of Guac on chicken. Place Toast on top and lower grill lid. Heat until cheese is slightly melted and grill marks appear on the bread.

Cut sandwich in half and enjoy with your favorite Manly beverage!

360 Gerald March 11, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Simple but tasty ham sandwich:

Ingredients:

Bread
Ham
Cream Cheese
Pickles – whatever kind you prefer, I like dill for this one. Use spears or sandwich slices.

Assembly is just like you’d expect. Bread/cream cheese/pickles/ham/bread.

Enjoy.

361 Patrick March 11, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Tuna Bacon Chedder

Mix one can of tuna with mayonnaise and finely chopped celery. I prefer white tuna, but any kind will do.

Fry 4 strips of bacon, extra crispy.

Crumble one strip in the tuna mix, save the rest for the sandwich.

Slice a block of good, sharp chedder into medium thick slices (about a centimeter). You need enough to fill your bread. You be the judge here.

Toast your bread. I use an 8 inch hoagie roll.

Combine all the ingredients.

Eat.

Enjoy.

Occasionally I add a little horseradish to the tuna mix. That rules too.

362 Gerald March 11, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Shooter’s Sandwich

Ingredients:

Round loaf of bread. Hollowed out. Save the top “lid”
Steak of your choice. Something thin. About a pound.
Onions
Sliced cheese of your choice (I recommend something strong)
Sauce. Steak sauce is good. We use spicy mustard mixed with a little worcestershire.

Cook your steak and your onions. Place some of it in the bottom of your hollow bread loaf. enough to cover the bottom. Then sauce (use less if your meat is especially juicy). Then cheese. If you have enough steak, you can put another layer on top. Put the bread “lid” on top and wrap the whole thing in foil.

Now for the interesting part: smashing your sandwich. On top of your sandwich you’re going to want to put some heavy objects. We used a big cast iron skillet and a bunch of big books (The Complete Far Side worked well, thanks Gary Larson). Leave the weight on for four hours or so.

Enjoy your shooter’s sandwich.

363 Gerald March 11, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Pulled Pork and Mac and Cheese.

Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 cups prepared macaroni and cheese, warmed
2 onions, thinly sliced Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup barbecue sauce
2 cups prepared pulled pork
8 slices buttermilk or white bread
12 slices sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
Directions
Put 6 tablespoons butter and the mayonnaise in the bowl of a stand mixer; beat with the paddle attachment until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Set aside.

Spread the macaroni and cheese in an 8-inch-square baking dish to about 3/4 inch thick. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 45 minutes. Cut the macaroni and cheese into squares that are slightly smaller than the bread slices.

Meanwhile, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Combine the barbecue sauce and pulled pork in a saucepan over low heat and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes.

Generously spread the butter-mayonnaise mixture on one side of each bread slice. Flip over half of the bread slices; layer 1 slice of cheddar, 1 macaroni-and-cheese square and another slice of cheddar on each. Top each with one-quarter of the pulled pork and caramelized onions and another slice of cheddar. Top with the remaining bread slices, buttered-side up.

Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Working in batches, cook the sandwiches until the cheese melts and the bread is golden, about 5 minutes per side.

364 Kenneth Keene March 11, 2013 at 2:03 pm

My dad taught me the radish sandwich.

Pick a handful of radishes from the garden, wash them and slice them up, then put between white bread with miracle whip.one of the best sandwiches even without meat and cheese

365 Zeb March 11, 2013 at 2:04 pm

This is probably my oldest favorite sandwich, something my mom made for my brother and I when we were but wee lads, and I didn’t care for BLTs (turns out I didn’t like them because I can’t stand Miracle Whip, I’m a mayo guy, but I was too young to know there was a difference–especially when Mom called it mayo, anyway!)

Anyway, it’s the Peanut Butter and Bacon Sammy.

Easy to make, just toast your preferred bread (I stick with white or a light wheat bread for this one, myself), slather with peanut butter (since I’m all grown up I prefer the natural fresh ground stuff myself, without the sugar–but still lightly salted, but any kind will do), then layer on as much bacon, cooked to your liking, and best right out of the pan while it’s still hot–as you feel your heart can handle in one meal. Top with the other piece of toast (slathered with more peanut butter, if you can stand it!)

Be prepared with a glass of cold milk for this one, because your mouth will stick closed (if your eating it right!). The hot bacon warms the peanut butter, and the fat and salt satisfy something primal in you. NOT an everyday sandwich, for sure, but as a rare guilty pleasure, this is the schnizzle.

366 Stephen Cox March 11, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Fried egg sandwich

Piece of toast
mayonnaise
two fried eggs
cheese
piece of toast

367 Caleb March 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Just about anything can be a sandwich. In fact, if I’m given any particular entree served with bread or rolls, invariably I will enjoy a sandwich before the end of the meal.

My favorite is the thanksgiving left-overs sandwich.

My dad used to sing a song when I was a child, that I sing to this day:

I like sandwiches, sandwiches are fine.
I like sanwiches, I eat them all the time.
I eat them for my breakfast, and I eat them for my lunch.
If I had a hundred sandwiches I’d eat them all at once. (repeat indefinitely)

It’s a philosophy that serves me to this day. I never tire of a good sandwich.

368 Joe Jackson March 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I LOVE this post! The Art of the Sandwich, much like The Art of Manliness, is one the is largely going out of style, so kudos to you Brett and Kate for bringing it back.

Note: the following recipe is nowhere near healthy, but as for tastiness… WINNING!

Cajun Monterrey Chicken Sandwich:

Ingredients:
-2 teaspoons salt
-1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper (optional)
-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
-5 dashes hot sauce
-Chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
-flour
-monterey jack cheese
-Ciabatta rolls
-Lettuce
-Tomato
-Hidden Valley Ranch

Directions:

Combine 1st 6 ingredients (salt-hot sauce) in a mixing bowl. Insert chicken into bowl and toss to coat. Cover bowl and place chicken in refrigerator for at least an hour, but up to a day, tossing occasionally. After marinating, pour buttermilk into bowl, remove chicken and allow excess liquid to drip off then dredge in flour. Fry until done, remove and drain. While chicken is draining and still hot, put cheese on chicken to melt.

Build the sandwich from the bottom up.

Lightly toast the ciabatta bread and put ranch on the bottom piece, then put fried chicken with the melted cheese, lettuce, tomato and top of roll.

“Slightly more-healthy:” you can do oven-fried chicken but the tastiness level is reduced at least a few notches. However, for oven-fried chicken, after dredging in flour, dip in egg-wash and coat with Panko breadcrumbs for texture. Cook at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes until done.

Enjoy!

369 Scott March 11, 2013 at 3:32 pm

In my opinion, turkey is the only meat you need for a delicious sandwich. The sandwich I ate pretty much every day for lunch before I went primal is as follows:

2 slices of a delicious 12 grain or honey oat style bread (a brand that has a little sweetness to it is preferred)
3-4 slices real deli turkey, not that processed pre-packaged crap
Big handful of spinach
Thickly sliced smoked gouda
Sweet and Spicy Mustard

That’s it. Simple and wonderful.

370 Dan in Long Beach March 11, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Okay, here goes my favorite breakfast sandwich recipe…

Make an omelette with two eggs; put whatever you’d like in it. I always go for jalapenos, onions, tomatoes, etc…

Fry up a few slices of spam (I usually do four slices)

Toast an English muffin or toast

Put it all together with a slice of cheese in between the spam and eggs and drizzle it with hot sauce (Tapatio or Cholula [with the wooden cap] preferably)

My dad has been making this sandwich for years…trust me, it’s the breakfast sandwich to end all breakfast sandwiches!

371 Cory March 11, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Spicy Tuna Sandwich

This is my spin on the classic tuna sandwich.

2 Slices of Bread (I personally use thick slices of whole grain bread, but to each their own.)
1 Can of Tuna
Mayo
Ground Horseradish (the kind you get in a jar. Here in Wisconsin we have Bucky Badger XX Hot Horseradish, which is my jam)
1 Celery Stalk, chopped
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Drain the can of tuna, and in a bowl mix tuna, mayo, horseradish, celery and salt & pepper. The amount of mayo you use is all a matter of preference. Make it as dry or as sloppy as you’d like. The same goes for the Horseradish. Mix in as much as you can handle. I like to feel a little burn through the nostrils, which I usually achieve with a hefty tablespoon or more. Although, the type of horseradish you use may differ, so I suggest determining the potency prior to mixing it in.

Once all the ingredients are mixed together, and you have reached the consistency and spiciness that you desire, spread it on one slice of bread. From there feel free to pile on lettuce, tomato or any other vegetable topping that seems fitting. Next, stack the other slice of bread on top, and you got yourself a sandwich, baby!

The horseradish is the key to this sandwich’s success. My advice, don’t skimp on it. Bask in all its glory. Also, I like the addition of the chopped celery because it gives it a satisfying crunch, which I feel is a necessity.

If you’re feeling real ambitious, you can turn this into a mean tuna melt with a nice slab of pepper jack cheese.

Enjoy!

372 Chris March 11, 2013 at 3:55 pm

2 additions. If you get your “round steak” at a deli, have them slice it 1/4 to 1/2 an inch thick. No bubble and its so unbelievably satisfying. Also, the sandwich that got me started on adding chips was ham and cheese on white bread with miracle whip and cool ranch Doritos. The cool ranch dust gives just enough kick to liven things up without overpowering the simple ham and cheese.

373 Tyler McCauley March 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Simple:

Ingredients:
Butter, Margarine, or the like
Peanut Butter
Jelly/Jam of choice

1. Place pan on stove top, do not turn on heat.

2.Butter one piece of bread. Place butter side down into cold pan.

3. Add peanut butter to the slice of bread in pan. Spread to cover the slice of bread. Add peanut butter to taste.

4. Add Peanut Butter to second slice of bread. Set aside.

5. On the bread slice, in the cold pan, add Jelly/jam of choice and spread.

6. Place second slice of bread, peanut butter side down, onto the slice of bread in the pan.

7. Apply butter to the top of the sandwich, spreading evenly.

8. Turn stove on and brown sandwich.

9. Flip and repeat step 8.

10. Serve.

374 Eli Garcia II March 11, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Leftover King

Bread: Rye (suggested but any bread will do)
Ingredients: Thanksgiving Leftovers

Lay a nice foundation of cranberry sauce on both slices of bread, (the rest of the ingredients need to be heated) on one slice put a layer of stuffing, on the other a layer of mashed or sweet potatoes, finally add turkey (I prefer the dark meat in the sandwich), and close the sandwich. Heat up a bowl of leftover gravy and use as au jus.

Pair with a side of ruffles and an ice cold cola. Heaven.

375 John March 11, 2013 at 4:39 pm

a weird but delicious sandwich is peanut butter and hotsauce. best made with any bread, toasted, with creamy peanut butter on both sides and franks hot sauce, occasionally I add some apricot jelly onto it and the flavors mix beautifully. learned it from a friend in the navy who intended it as a prank and soon learned of its deliciousness ;)

376 Andrew March 11, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Peanut butter and banana. If you haven’t had it before go make one right now. Your taste buds will thank you.

377 Roger March 11, 2013 at 5:38 pm

A simple, delicious Mediterranean sandwich (suitable for vegetarians):

1) Cut one Ciabatta bread in half.
2) Drizzle with olive oil.
3) Cover with a bed of rocket lettuce.
4) Add slices of tomato.
5) Slice up half a mozzarella ball and layer it on.
6) Tear up fresh basil leaves and sprinkle them over.
7) One last drizzle of olive oil and crown the sandwich with the top piece of bread.

Enjoy!

378 Dan W. March 11, 2013 at 5:39 pm

One of my favorites is sort of a breakfast Reuben or a hangover cure…

a. 2 slices Rye bread. I prefer marbled but dark or light rye work great also
b. Swiss Cheese or Emmentaler if Swiss cheese tastes too much like farts
c. 1 fried egg, over medium, keep the yolk slightly runny
d. Pastrami, or Corned Beef or sliced roast beef or a little of each
e. Horseradish… or horseradish cream sauce
f. Ketchup
optional: Sauerkraut or Cole slaw, bacon

Fry it up like a grilled cheese. Don’t layer too much meat on there or you’ll have a cold center. Served with hair of dog.

379 Shojahon March 11, 2013 at 5:46 pm

First put two slices of American Cheese onto a slice of bread (your choice). Then go ahead and sauteed 1-2 slices of onion. Then take some turkey (bologna, chicken, etc.) and warm that up as well, place the onion on top of the cheese and the meat on top of that. Place two more slices of cheese (now of any choice) on top of the meat. Place one more slice of bread. And enjoy, if you wish you can change up this recipe to your liking.

380 Richard Parker March 11, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Here’s something for the manly vegetarians among us:

Open faced veggie pita

You can use whatever vegetables you want but the classic way to make this is:
Pita bread, tomatoes, onions, black olives, avocado, mushrooms, peppers, onions, scallions, alfalfa sprouts (necessary!), and cheese

Turn the broiler in your oven on
Slice a pita in half lengthwise (you’ll end up with two small disks)
Add to the top of one or both of the disks (in whatever order you prefer):
Sliced Tomatoes
Sliced Black Olives
Sliced Avocado
Sliced Mushrooms
Thinly Sliced Pepper
Thinly Sliced Onions
Scallions
Any other vegetables you might want

Optional: If you’ve got a meat eater to appease you can always throw some ham or turkey strips on there as well.

Finally throw some Alfalfa Sprouts on top topped with your choice of grated cheese (I prefer cheddar) basically making a sandwich with the alfalfa sprouts (the cheese will keep it all together)
Place your pita(s) on the middle rack of your oven so its not too close to the broiler until the cheese has melted. Watch that they don’t burn as it doesn’t take too long.
Serve and enjoy!

We make these all the time in my family. You can cut up all the ingredients and then let everyone pick what they want on their pita, making it as big (or small) as they want. A few of these is great for dinner or one for a snack and its handy for getting rid of any scrap vegetables you might have lying around.

381 Alan March 11, 2013 at 6:22 pm

A tip so your bologna doesn’t balloon up when your frying it; cut 2 little notches into the edges on the cold cut, say 12 and 6 oclock, this way it’ll stay flat as it fries. Just a little something my dad taught me

382 Joe Coates March 11, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Pretzel Roll
Home smoked Turkey
Bacon
Jezebel Sauce
Pickle on the side

383 Vegas March 11, 2013 at 8:22 pm

A double decker sandwich on wheat bread. One half of sandwich is crunchy peanut butter and strawberry jam (suckers). The other half is ham, cheese and mustard. Enjoy!!

384 Jason Hamilton March 11, 2013 at 8:27 pm

The classic BLT with mayo. Absolutely nothing better. Delicious and comforting.

385 T. Levitt March 11, 2013 at 8:47 pm

My favorite from a Ren & Stimpy episode.
Meat on toasted meat and a nice glass of meat to drink.

386 James March 11, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I’m vegetarian (and every bit a man) so sandwiches for me rely on peanut butter and cheese more than cold cuts, but serve the same purpose of a full meal on the go. Often whatever’s in the pantry or fridge ends up between bread and in a bag for lunch leading to some interesting combinations.

With this in mind, one of the weirdest and surprisingly delicious sandwiches I’ve had the pleasure of making was half an avocado, thick slices of sharp cheddar cheese (cut with a pocket knife off the block), peanut butter and honey on oatnut bread.

387 FF sbeck March 11, 2013 at 10:41 pm

B. L. A. T. or B. L. E. A. T.

A twist on the classic B. L. T.

Fry up some good quality bacon
Toast bread
Add lettuce, tomato, AVOCADO
add salt, pepper, mayo/spicy mayo to taste

Or if you enjoy egg do the same recipe above with
An over medium fried egg on top.

388 Marc March 11, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Apple Cheddar:
Toast & butter the bread, cut a layer cheddar cheese then cut enough apple slices to cover a layer. *Eat while warm.

Perfect combination of sweet & salty.

389 Ryan March 12, 2013 at 6:24 am

Toasted jalepeno-cheese bagel with plain cream cheese, smoked salmon, sliced cucumber (salted and peppered), avocado, and bacon. heaven

390 Penitent Spark March 12, 2013 at 6:38 am

I have two staples when I have little to no time for a serious meal.

1.) Flip ‘n’ Cheese

A Sunday Breakfast staple

2 slices of white bread
2 eggs
Cheese (of your choosing)
Butter

Cut hole in center of both bread slices, mason jar lids work fine.

place butter in pan, and lightly fry both slices of bread, once slightly brown, place a small amount of butter in both holes of bread, then carefully place an egg in each hole.

Once egg is cooked enough to be able to be handled with spatula, carefully flip the toast, place cheese on both slices and continue cooking until other side of bread is cooked, combine and enjoy.

2.) Three of a Kind

Wasabi
Whole Egg Mayonaise
Cheese
Ham (of the bone is available)
Lettuce
Egg
White Bread (Sourdough is excellent)

Combine 1 Part wasabi to 4 parts mayanaise.

Fry Egg Sunny Side Up

Layer as follows;

White Bread
Lettuce
Cheese
Egg
Ham
Wasabi-Mayonaise
White Bread

Enjoy

391 Peter March 12, 2013 at 8:10 am

Sourdough roll (or another slightly firmer roll)
1/2 c. Mayo mixed with chopped garlic (2 cloves), chopped cilantro (3-4 T) and lime juice (1 T)
Chicken cutlets or breast, marinated in 1 egg, 2-4 T hot sauce (to taste), 1 t chopped oregano and a pinch of salt (a few hours or overnight)
A few cups crushed tortilla chips (really pack ‘em on…you will probably need more than you expect)
Lettuce and tomato
*Scale up the chicken marinade if you’re making more than 2 sandwiches

To prepare: “bread” the marinated chicken with tortilla chips, pan frying in a few tablespoons olive oil until nice and golden brown on both sides – be patient and let the chicken cook long enough on each side so the coating will fully crisp…the more you flip and poke at it, the more topping will fall off.

To assemble: Toast your bread lightly and spread both sides liberally with the mayo mixture. Place a warm chicken breast on the bread, topping with lettuce, tomato. Enjoy warm. Put more mayo on halfway through when you realize how amazing it is.

Enjoy!

392 Allen March 12, 2013 at 8:12 am

I know that this sounds a little on the strange side, however, when I first heard of this sandwich, I too questioned the taste buds of my bud. Trying it made a believer out of me.

Peanut and Vidalia Onion Sandwich

Favorite Bread
Favorite Peanut Butter
1 FRESH Vidalia Onion about the size in diameter at the bread slice if possible.

Cut a slice – Thin for first sandwich till you find out how unique and delicious the onion makes the peanut butter.

Spread on peanut butter a little thicker than the onion thickness. Cover the slice of bread. Put a thin layer on the 2nd slice of bread to keep the onion from sliding around.

Cut in half and enjoy. It sounds unappetizing but the sweetness or the peanut butter coupled with the tartness and sweetness of Vidalia Onion just is great.

393 Jacob March 12, 2013 at 9:38 am

The Boss Man:

2 slices of cooked bacon
1 slice of cooked Jimmy Dean Sausage
1 thick slice of cooked ham
2 eggs scrambled
1 tomato slice
Cheese
Mayonnaise
On Texas Toast

It will change your mornings from the norm to become mornings of epic proportions.

394 Ken March 12, 2013 at 10:43 am

Bake your own loaf.

Google artisan bread, ingredients is only flour, salt and yeast.

Then stuff some chicken breast with spinach, garlic and cheese.

Grill and slice thin.

Some hummus on the bread with the chicken.

395 Kevin Land March 12, 2013 at 10:50 am

Simply Spanish:

*Baguette
*Smeared tomato / olive oil on le bread
*Jamón Serrano and or:
*Manchego Cheese

396 Aaron March 12, 2013 at 11:10 am

Simple breakfast sandwich

- Toast an English muffin.
- Add thinly sliced strips of old cheddar cheese to one side of the muffin.
- Add raspberry jam to the other.
- Squish together and enjoy.

397 On The Mark March 12, 2013 at 11:28 am

Fish Sammich:
1-2 Beer battered fish sticks cooked per instructions
3-4 drops lemon juice
2-3 dabs of blue cheese dressing
3-4 dill pickle slices
1 hamburger bun
(optional) lettuce & tomato
————-
Grilled Bacon & Muenster on Rye:
2 (or more) slices crispy bacon
1-2 slices Muenster cheese
2 slices rye bread lavishly buttered on the outside
*Assemble in frying pan. Cook until both sides are golden brown
————-
Mexitalian:
Kaiser Roll
Ample piles of pepperoni and/or salami
Provolone cheese
muenster cheese
pastrami
(optional) yellow mustard
rye bread

398 KierO March 12, 2013 at 11:55 am

Best sandwich:

Sausage and egg toasted sandwich.

Fry two eggs, soft yolk.
Fry two good quality pork sausages (then cut then in half length ways)
two slices of toasted bread.

Put together, slice and enjoy.

399 Kyle Triplett March 12, 2013 at 11:56 am

My personal favorite: Hot turkey and cheese sandwich.
Take your favorite deli turkey (Mine is Cajun :). Put turkey and your choice of cheese on a Hoagie bun. Place in oven/toaster oven until cheese is melted and bread is brown. Add tomatoe, lettuce, and my personal favorite, and good helping of Jalapeno Tabasco Sauce! Enjoy!

400 Kevin March 12, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Kill the Irishmen:

Aptly named for the Irish-ness of this sandwich:

2 slices thick cut Irish soda Bread
Dubliner cheese
1/2 lb corned beef ( sliced thick)
Guiness Mustard

Comments on this entry are closed.