Outfitted & Equipped: Downtown Spring Arts and Music Festival

by Brett & Kate McKay on February 12, 2013 · 21 Comments

in Outfitted & Equipped, Visual Guides

Arts & Music Festival 2

This post is sponsored by DROID RAZR MAXX HD by Motorola. Check out everything you can do with the longest lasting 4G LTE smartphone.
What’s this?

Punxsutawney Phil has used his powerful powers of prognostication to predict that spring is right around the corner. I for one am excited for what the balmy days will bring, and so to start getting in the mood, I figured we’d devote this edition of Outfitted and Equipped to an anticipated springtime activity. In a few months I’ll be heading to Mayfest here in Tulsa. It is a downtown arts and music festival that boasts tons of food, over a hundred art booths, and several dozen concerts on four stages. Here’s some suggestions on what to wear, pack, and eat for this kind of event.

1. Randolph Engineering Aviator Sunglasses. Randolph Engineering Aviators have been standard issue sunglasses for the U.S. military since 1982. Stylish and battle-tested for the most rigorous and demanding use. Or simply for keeping the sun out of you eyes as you look over some landscape paintings.

2. Marine Layer Shawl Neck Pullover. I bought one of these when I was out in San Francisco this fall. It’s perfect for those early spring days when it’s starting to warm up, but still gets chilly at night. Marine Layer makes all of its products right here in the USA from fabric made of recycled beach wood, and man, is it soft and comfortable. I’ve worn it a few times a week practically since I got it. Also, who doesn’t love something with a toggle?

3. Indian Taco. The best part of festivals is by far the food. Lots of fried and unique delicacies to choose from. Funnel cakes are a classic, but I prefer to get my fried dough fix in a different form – the Indian Taco. Popular here in Oklahoma, it’s a fried piece of dough with taco meat and fixings on top. Dee-licious.

4. Droid* Razr Maxx HD. A phone is a must whether you need to find your way downtown or meet up with friends. This Droid’s got a battery that lasts up to 32 hours*. That’s plenty time to take some pics in the afternoon and record your favorite band’s set at night.  Moreover, if things get rowdy near the stage and you accidentally drop your phone, the Kevlar-covered back and metal edge offer plenty of protection.

5. 5-in-1 Stainless Steel Moneyclip. When you go to an event like this, some of the booths only take cash, and a moneyclip is perfect for carrying your license and a wad of green.

6. Blanket & Roll Sling. You might spend the afternoon browsing the arts and crafts booths, and then go over to a nearby park to watch a concert when the sun goes down. If you’re going to have to park far away, getting back to your car to grab a blanket to sit on to watch the show will be a hassle, so carry your blanket with you in a roll sling. This is a Made in the USA reproduction of one used during the Civil War.

7. Levi’s 501 Original Fit. Any pair of dark denim will do.

8. Brown Leather Journeyman Belt from Carhartt. Just a nice-looking belt.

9. Bull Moose AoM T-shirt. This shirt celebrates the political party Theodore “strong as a bull moose” Roosevelt started. Could be a good conversation starter.

10. Converse Jack Purcell Sneakers. Can’t go wrong with this classic, casual sneaker.

*DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies.
*Based on an average user profile that includes both usage and standby. Actual battery performance may vary.

How would you outfit and equip yourself for a springtime arts and/or music festival? Share with us in the comments.

1 Bill February 12, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Both discussing what to wear prior to, and having to shop for, a simple event like this is not manly. Wear what you wear, and go. If it doesn’t fit in your pockets, leave it.

2 Nate Gilbert February 12, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I own a pair of off whit Jack Purcells and love them. They go with pretty much anything. Also been trying to cut down on the bulk in my pockets, and that money clip just may do it…

3 Mike February 12, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I dig this one. Definitely something I would wear. That blanket sling is cool — never knew something like that existed.

But while Indian Tacos are good, the prize of any festival is the giant turkey leg, bar none.

4 Caleb February 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Oh, man! I haven’t been to Mayfest in YEARS! I had so much fun with my family as a child at those. O Ooh, and Jazzfest; my grandpa still regularly plays every year with his band Soundz-Good. And who can forget the annual Oktoberfest! It’s amazing what a rich cultural melange can be found in Oklahoma!

5 Capt.Ruck February 12, 2013 at 3:22 pm

@Bill I bet your an engineer and are still wearing the same beat down Adidas sneakers you strolled around your college campus when you go out in public. The way you dress to events is important and leaves a good impression with people.

6 Alejandro February 12, 2013 at 3:38 pm

A very solid overall list, but you can improve it:

1. Sunglasses: American Optical makes the same with a lower price tag. Both RE and AO supply those shades to the US Air Force.

7. Jeans. 501 are great, but just a bit uncomfortable for my liking. I like my “man’s region” to have some room…

9. The T-Shirt. Just wanted to say it’s epic. If I could just get it shipped to the old world…

10. Converse sneakers: No way. Not because they are ugly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but because they are just a piece canvas or whatever they are made of. Just get yourself a pair of Chukka boots with a thick sole. Real leather, real insulation, real sole for when you have to walk on an unpaved road.

Cheers,
Alejandro.

7 Christian February 12, 2013 at 8:35 pm

That Indian Taco looks phenomenal. I need to look up the recipe since I’m a sucker for both Indian and Latin cuisine.

8 Michael February 13, 2013 at 9:22 am

@Bill – It’s a sad attitude you have that a man can’t put some thought in to what he wears to an event. Regardless of how you feel, people will judge you for what you wear and how you present yourself. If nothing else, I’m sure you’d like to appear respectable. Taking care of your appearance is not a strictly feminine affair. Also, these items are sensible clothes/accessories for an all day outing. Being prepared certainly falls within the realm of manly.

You don’t have to buy all these items. I don’t generally like these posts because they seem to be just selling certain items, but you can still get a general idea of things to bring to such an event. Do you need those brand name glasses? Of course not. Do you need Levi’s 501 jeans? No. Any jeans will do. Take this as a guide, not a shopping list.

You don’t

9 Paul February 13, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Mostly good choices there.

I’d go for these rather than sneakers http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/00111769 – the most comfortable shoes ever made, and a bit more stylish I think.

10 Matthew February 14, 2013 at 12:40 am

Another great post, but BOO to the blatant sponsorship of this post! I’m thankful that AoM is one of the few reads of my day that is not trashed with sponsorship. Let’s keep it that way!

11 Brett McKay February 14, 2013 at 12:56 pm

@Matthew-

1) We’ve been running sponsored posts for more than two years. So I don’t know what you mean by “keep it that way.”
2) It costs more than $100k a year to run AoM (almost $10k simply for server costs alone). Advertising and sponsorships pay the bills and keep AoM alive.
3) Without ads and sponsorships, either AoM would cease to exist, or people would have to pay a monthly subscription fee. We want as many men to have access to this content as possible, regardless of their ability to pay for it, so we prefer to keep the content 100% free, which means the site must be ad-supported.
4) You can’t have quality content AND make it free and non-ad supported, and BOO to those who want to have their cake and eat it too.
5) I quite like sponsorships, as I do not find them intrusive, and they do not really alter our content. In a post like this, the sponsor asks that their product be included, and we only say yes to such deals if that’s something we’re comfortable with. In a text article, they do not control the content at all, and simply underwrite it. People get good content, and we get money to keep the site alive. I think these deals are great, and will keep on running them until the cows come home.

12 Justin February 16, 2013 at 6:59 am

Like the glasses. Thanks for the tip.

13 Jesse February 17, 2013 at 6:47 pm

@Bill

I actually agree with you to a point. I don’t think you should have to plan out an outfit for an event like this. However, I think the everyday gentleman needs a good sense of style and these posts really help. But, yeah… just wear what makes you comfortable, but doesn’t make you look like a hobo. If being a hobo is your thing, embrace it.

14 Matt February 19, 2013 at 11:55 am

Hi Brett,

No Boo from me here, really like what you’ve put together. I’m on the hunt for some new clothes and you’ve given be some ideas – the pull over and blanket look wicked!

Keep up the great work!

15 Dan P February 21, 2013 at 2:39 pm

@Brett

While you’ve got to run a business, maybe you’d be better off not slinging so many products in one post.

Obviously, you’ve been doing this for a while, and probably have a method to your madness.

Maybe it’s just the wording of this post that threw me off … but here’s how it came off :

1. Sunglasses — you “need” this brand. (bad)
2. sweater/pullover — great idea to have, and while you’re at it; these guys make awesome right here in the states (good — hey, maybe I’ll check this out)
3. food — try something different than your normal (good — but I’m not giving up my funnel-cakes)
4. phone — definitely written by some marketing stooge. (terribad — buy something else)
5. moneyclip — good alternative to a big wallet (ok-ish … I mean, I’m carrying a wallet anyway…)
6. blanket and thing – hmm never thought of that (good — should get something like this for the car … )
7. Levi’s – jeans are jeans (meh … although if you went the “they make them in the states” route…)
8. belt – you need one ’nuff said (good)
9. AoM tee – get one ’nuff said (good — you’re promoting YOUR stuff … who can argue with that?)
10. shoes – converse are great (bit meh … I like the all stars better)

16 Brett McKay February 21, 2013 at 4:05 pm

@Dan P-

I’m not “slinging” a bunch of products. I only get paid by the sponsor of the post. I get paid zero for mentioning everything else. Gallery posts like these have been a staple on many men’s interests sites for awhile and I always personally enjoyed them, and was glad to be able to start running them on AoM when I got sponsorship opportunities. I have to pay a graphic designer to put them together for me, as my design skills are negligible, so I didn’t do them until I got some sponsorships to help pay for that. The idea behind gallery posts is to give people a general idea of an outfit to put together for different events. It’s not to say buy this product or this brand. The reason we do list the brands on this kind of post, is because there are going to be lots of people who look at the gallery, and want to know where to get X item. I still get emails for years-old style articles that have photos with no brand listed asking, “Where can I get that? Who makes that?” But I couldn’t care less if people buy these brands or simply use what’s already in their closet to pull together something similiar with their own style. It’s supposed to serve as inspiration, not a shopping list.

17 Brett McKay February 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm

PS-When it comes to the “method” to my madness, it’s quite simple: I ask myself: Is this something that I like and would enjoy seeing in a men’s magazine? Publish it. Is this something I don’t like or would find annoying in a men’s magazine? Don’t publish it. That’s it. Obviously, not everyone is going to like the kind of features and articles I like, but I’m content to let the chips fall where they may. That’s how I’ve always done things — I started AoM to create the kind of men’s magazine I’d like to read and that’s how I run it. I believe that trying to please everyone is a recipe for failure.

18 Cole February 21, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Brett, just wanted to let you know that I love Outfitted and Equipped and hope they continue. I’m actually surprised that people would interpret it as “buy this specific thing.” I always took it as you describe — general inspiration. Cause you know, we’re grown a** men who don’t need to be told exactly what to wear! But I’ve admittedly struggled with style, pretty badly, so I like seeing some specifics laid out. I like general guidelines too like in Antonio’s post, but it’s helpful to me to see something specific put together. I’m a poor college student, so I just make a note of it, and it helps me look for stuff at thrift stores. By the way, if there others like me out there, I think Primer Magazine does a great job with this too (hopes it’s okay if I link to them another site?):

Anyway, keep it up. And even if I already liked the post, I appreciate you responding to people. It’s nice to get an inside look or whatever.

19 Dan P February 22, 2013 at 7:05 am

@Brett
Thanks for the response. After re-reading my comment, it did not convey what I intended to say as well as it could have (or in a fitting manner).

The article got me thinking about getting the pullover, new jeans, trying something new at an art festival (in addition to my funnel cakes!), a money clip, AoM gear, and maybe take a look at converse again, which I haven’t worn since high school.

The Motorola “ad” was no different than what I’d find on Slashdot (tech news aggregation site), the VzW/Moto websites, or being screamed at me from a TV commercial . I expect something like that on TV, or a tech/vendor site … but not here.

In contrast, the Whisky Tasting, Casual Office, and Fall Picnic “Outfitted and Equipped” articles meshed together exceptionally well, and there wasn’t a feeling of “this article’s only purpose is to sell the sponsor’s wares”.

Normally, I’d attribute this to Motorola being a huge company, though Levi’s is only about 20% smaller (approx 16k vs 20k @ Moto), and they got it right(tm) with their sponsored ads…

20 Brett McKay February 22, 2013 at 10:53 pm

@Dan-

Gotcha. To me, a phone is something I’d bring to an event like this so it seemed like a mesh-able, natural fit. It didn’t strike me as any different than past editions. But I do understand and have heard your feedback. We turn down as many proposals for these as we accept, as we do look for things that are natural fits, stuff I would take/wear anyway, and I’ll continue to use discretion in such things. Obviously where to draw the line won’t align with everyone tastes, but I again, I do understand the point you were trying to convey.

21 Cus March 1, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Brett,
Don’t take it personally. Some people will criticize anything.
Questions for the morons above:
1) Are you a philanthropist who altruistically sends AOM donations because they offer you interesting tidbits a couple times a week?
No. People need to make a living, so let them.
2) Are you aware that the series is called Outfitted and Equipped?
That is almost certainly why the post shows the items that comprise an OUTFIT, and items that are EQUIPMENT related to a specific purpose.
PS – Anyone who criticizes Levi’s and Converse should have their style blog commenting privileges revoked.
My two cents because I’m particularly frustrated with trolls today.