Outfitted & Equipped: Ice Skating Date Night

by Brett & Kate McKay on January 16, 2013 · 16 Comments

in Outfitted & Equipped, Visual Guides

JT_125x125 This post is brought to you by Jack Threads. Sign up for daily sales up to 80% off retail.
What’s this?

Welcome back to Outfitted and Equipped, a gallery series designed to give you some inspiration for what to put on and get together for different outings.

I was quite disturbed by this recent New York Times article on the “End of Courtship.” Has dating really gotten so bad? Ask a lady on a real date this weekend. Lots of cities, even in warmer climes, have outdoor skating rinks this time of year. What could be more cozy than dinner and then gliding hand-in-hand under the stars?

1. Allen Edmonds Leather Wool Gloves. Leather and wool. The best of both worlds. On sale right now!

2. Nordstrom Wool Scarf. The pea coat shown here comes with a detachable scarf, but I’d swap it out for this date for a warmer, larger, more colorful one like this. Don’t know how to tie a scarf? Watch Tony show you seven different ways to do it.

3. Shot Flask. Fill this flask with something to keep you and your date warm (brandy or hot cocoa, take your pick). If your date is cooty about taking a swig from the same spout as you, pop out the telescoping shot glass and pour her a little cup.

4. Goodale Slim Straight Selvedge  Denim. If you’ve ever wanted to own a pair of selvedge denim jeans, but couldn’t justify dropping $150+, Jack Threads has got you covered. Pick up a pair today for $50.

5. Gant Winter Jacquard Sweater. Get in the winter spirit with this Jacquard sweater from Gant. Featuring a Scandinavian-inspired winter print on the front and back. I really dig it.

6. Kenneth Cole Melton Peacoat. The pea coat has been a staple in men’s cold weather wear for decades. Its warmth and water resistance is why the U.S. Navy has issued pea coats to sailors for years. This Kenneth Cole Melton Peacoat comes with a detachable scarf and is on sale now at Jack Threads for $89.

7. Woolrich Watch Cap. Nothing goes better with a pea coat than a watch cap. Worn by sailors for years to keep their heads nice and toasty, the watch cap is another piece of standard issue clothing in the Navy. This one from Woolrich is made from wool and has a fleece lining. If you’re curious about other winter headgear options, Tony will have a post on the subject next week. Stay tuned.

8. Darn Tough Vermont Hiking Socks. Darn Tough has been making warm and durable socks in the great state of Vermont for over 30 years. Made from a mixture of wool, nylon, and lycra, these socks will keep your feet warm and dry while you glide around the skating rink with your gal.

9. Vintage Hockey Skates. Grab an old pair from your dad’s closet.

1 Nate Gilbert January 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I love Outfitted & Equipped.Our city had an outdoor rink in the downtown park during the Holidays but they took it down after the new year. Of course, now it is cold enough here in North Alabama to actually feel right ice skating outside. Oh well.

2 Andrew January 16, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Does anyone know if you can actually use vintage hockey skates safely still?

3 Adrian January 16, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Andrew, I’d assume that as long as the blades are well sharpened and they aren’t falling apart at the seams it would be fine.

4 James January 16, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I would say that ice skating is an excellent activity for a date. You get to spend a good amount of time talking and having fun, generally laughing and getting very relaxed around each other. I have used skating as something for the dreaded “first date” since it beats sitting across from each other at a dinner almost conducting an interview that is pretty lame. It tends to really open both people up and have a great time.

Plus many women have always wanted to try skating, and you would be surprised at how easy it is to get a positive answer when asking them out for the first time. I do play hockey and can skate well, but I would think that someone with any skating ability would have a fun time. Cost wise at an indoor skating rink, including rentals and ice fee, it would be comparable to a movie night out, but you get to talk, laugh and have fun. I can’t recommend this enough. Shows your fun side…

And skating outside is the best, if you have the chance to do it, you will have a blast.

5 jake January 16, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Wear a mouth guard and a helmet, especially the mouth guard…darn near knocked out a tooth a few weeks ago and having some long term issues because if it..

6 Sister January 16, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Thank you! I would love for a man to ask me out skating. If he were to then show up dressed this well (and prepared with a flask to boot!), I’d be blown away.

I’ll spend a good part of the next few minutes enjoying this imaginary date.

7 Andrew January 16, 2013 at 8:55 pm

If you’re not already a skater, I would recommend lacing up a pair of new-ish hockey skates over a pair of vintage skates. The ankle support is so much better in new skates; the last thing somebody who can barely skate needs is even wobblier ankles. Also, who knows what condition the blades are going to be in, and you want a nice sharp set of skates if you’re going to be on the relatively harder ice of an outdoor rink.

8 craig January 16, 2013 at 10:01 pm

The darn tuff socks were made right down the hill from my Alma mater. Still have several pairs.. Great boot socks, for sure!

9 Paul January 17, 2013 at 4:58 am

The list is solid up until the skates. I saw that and I cringed. As an avid hockey player and ref let me assure you that you are in for a night of pain and misery that will ruin everything else if you wear those skates! Just rent a pair at the rink and don’t worry about it.

10 C.G January 17, 2013 at 7:28 am

Wear new skates, but borrow from a friend rather than renting, if you don’t want to buy new. Rental Skates are garbage. Trust me, I’m Canadian.

11 jeff_williams January 17, 2013 at 11:11 am

Let me chime in as another hockey player to ditch the old skates. Modern ones are so much more comfortable and easier to skate on. Rental skates might be alright but one should check it out ahead of time. I’m in MN and many of our rinks have good rental skates.

12 Ben January 17, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I also want to chime in and address the skates. I have flat feet and a pair of skates that are slightly off means a continuous painful stress on my foot. Older skates may cause a lot more discomfort. Make sure you get skates that fit you nice and snug, and that your ankles are relatively well supported so that you can stand up straight on the ice at all times.

13 Alexander January 17, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Another serious hockey player here, and I say go for the vintage skates!

If you don’t already know how to skate, you’re not going to learn in one night – so you’re going to end up looking like a tool anyway. Might as well do it in style.

Bauer Black Panthers all the way, baby!

14 Brock January 17, 2013 at 2:10 pm

A flash with a pop-out telescoping shot glass? Freakin awesome. What’ll they think of next?

15 Grant M. Schooley January 19, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Love this series, thanks again Brett!

16 Jeff P February 17, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Another serious hockey play for ditching the vintage skates. I have a pair that actually fit, almost identical to those. Tried them once, and despite being a very good skater, damn near killed myself. There was no support, and the blades were off center, so just standing on them was difficult.

I’ll stick to my Easton SE16s, thanks. Or the old 800cs that live in the backseat of my car. I think I’ll stick with the one piece composite skates heat formed to my feet. But even if you don’t own such skates, buy a pair. Cheap ones for $50, make sure they fit. Rental skates are horrid, just stay away, and the blades are never anywhere near sharp. Take that from a guy who’s worked at an ice rink.