The Movember 2012 Wrap-Up

by Brett & Kate McKay on December 5, 2012 · 7 comments

in Blog

Well, another Movember is on the books here at AoM. For those of you who are new to the site, during the month of November, the Art of Manliness participated in Movember, an annual fundraiser in which participants grow mustaches while raising money for men’s health issues. This is the fourth year we’ve participated.

This year, the 597-man Art of Manliness Movember Team was represented in four different countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Australia. Together, AoM Movember participants raised a whopping $33,987 during the month of November. Since we started taking part in Movember in 2009, we’ve raised $122,771. Yeah, over $100K. Pretty dang impressive if you ask me.

A big thanks to all the AoM Movember Team members who hit the pavement and the keyboard soliciting donations and thanks to all of you who donated money. And a very big thank you to Shaun Daws, who orchestrated the AoM effort from the land down under, and has been generously and enthusiastically spearheading the AoM Movember effort since 2009.

We had a contest among the AoM Movember Team members to see who could raise the most money. The 2012 AoM Movember Contest winner is…

Tristan Todd! Tristan raised an incredible $1,735 during November to help fight prostate cancer. For his efforts, we’ll be giving Tristan a handsome Saddleback Leather travel case filled with manly goodies like a Merkur safety razor, a badger hair brush, Art of Shaving Sandalwood Shaving Cream,  Col. Conk Mustache Wax, and a signed edition of The Art of Manliness Collection Box SetThanks for the awesomely manly effort, Tristan!

Thanks again to all those who helped make Movember such a resounding success! We’ll see you next year!

PS-Are any of you going to keep your nascent mustaches? I’d love to hear your stache stories in the comments!

1 Matty Mac December 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I am very happy that I got to join this team for Movember. I really felt like a part of something and I will be back next year for sure. For the last 5 years I Have had a full beard, but I shaved it off to participate in Movember. Rather than get rid of the sweet ‘stache that I grew, I am growing the beard back around it. It’s like I have an awesome lead singer and now I am surrounding it with a stellar band.

Matty (http://us.movember.com/mospace/3339645)

2 David G December 5, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I’ve decided to keep mine. Contoured to Air Force regulations, that is.

3 Jeremy C. December 5, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Mine couldn’t of come off faster on Saturday morning.

4 Tristan Todd December 5, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Thanks Art of Manliness for encouraging me to participate in my first Movember! It was challenging and yet so rewarding!

I love how one’s upper lip can serve as a billboard and talking point for such a wonderful cause!

Thanks for the support and thanks for the all that you do AofM community!

5 Chris December 6, 2012 at 12:46 am

so, on november 30th I went over to my girlfriend’s apartment so she could say goodbye to my dirt squirrel, and she said “don’t shave it!” I thought she was kidding, so sure enough, next morning, I wake up, shave the lip rug and go over to see’er. She got upset, and I’m still kinda in the dog house for it. Crazy to think that she started off not liking it. Looks like I’m growing it back now!

6 Randy December 6, 2012 at 10:45 am

My final act as a mo bro is to auction off the shaving of the ‘stache. Last year I auctioned it off for $60. I’m hoping to get half that this year (it’s tomorrow and the bids aren’t flying in like last year).

I did go to the Movember gala party in San Francisco and managed to walk away with the best mo character award. If you have never been to a Movember gala party you have to give it a whirl at least once.

So after 48 hot dogs, 100 huge baked potatoes, over 20 pumpkin pies, dozens of mustache cookies, 30 plates of nachos, and a raffle I will have hit the $1,000 mark for the second year in a row! It was a ton of work, but it was an amazing month and well worth it.

Stay health all you mo bros.

7 Joel R December 8, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I went full out this year for Movember! I in fact did a full beard. I wanted to support more than I did last year. My wife was against it completely she has only known me to have my side burns and goatee but no full beard or mustache combo. I grew my beard, and she said I changed I became more confident and I actually felt great and more like myself with a beard. I have since shaved it off but I miss it and I am starting to grow it back. Kinda found out who I was with a beard and want to stay that way.