Outfitted & Equipped: Whisky Tasting

by Antonio on October 18, 2012 · 29 Comments

in Outfitted & Equipped, Visual Guides

This post is brought to you by Chivas Brotherhood

Welcome back to Outfitted and Equipped, a gallery series designed to give you some inspiration for what to put on and get together for different outings.

Editor’s note: This edition of Outfitted and Equipped was curated and written by AoM style writer and Real Men Real Style creator, Antonio Centeno.

1. Dress Sharp Watch from Timex – Simple, affordable, classic.
  2. Wallet from Maxwell Scott – A shout out to our European friends who have to carry coins — this simple coin wallet has you covered.
  3. Blue Sport Coat – For an event like this, I love wearing a true blue sport coat because it’s such a great color for evening. I don’t have a link here to a specific jacket because I couldn’t find a semi-reasonably priced coat in the color I was looking for (the one in the picture above is the right color, but it’s actually denim, which wouldn’t work with this getup). Remember, the idea behind the Outfitted & Equipped series is not to say “buy this exact thing,” but to give you some inspiration on what you might pull together from what’s already in your closet or pick up down the road.
  4. Pocket Square from Kent Wang – The blue edging on this simple pocket square gives it a bit of versatility and uniqueness.  It can be kept simple and white, or show both colors depending on the fold.
  5. 5th & Lamar Shirt – Pick a dress shirt in a different shade of blue from the sport coat.
  6. V-Neck Undershirt from Ribbed Tee
  7. Cigar Smoking Supplies – Nothing goes better with a glass of whisky than a nice stogie. Pictured here is a Kenton Sorenson Cigar Case, a cigar cutter, and a Zippo Blu Torch lighter.
  8. Grey Flannel Trousers from Orvis
  9. Vvego Leather Belt -  An extremely well-made belt, that’s Made in America, and can support a holster — not that you’ll necessarily be packing heat at a whisky tasting, but if you’re going to invest in a belt like this, you want it to be extremely versatile and something you can wear every day with pretty much everything.
  10. Merino Wool Dress Socks from Blacksocks – Good wool socks are hard to find — these feel great, keep your feet warm or cool, and did I mention they feel great?
  11. Shelton Dress Shoe from Allen Edmonds
  12. Chivas Regal 12 – Well of course you won’t be toting whisky to a whisky tasting, but you’ll definitely be enjoying it once you’re there!
  13. Industrial Strength Hand Healer from Jack Black -  You’re going to be shaking a lot of hands and meeting a lot of new people at this kind of event.  My skin gets really dry here in the fall & winter, and to keep it looking and feeling healthy, I use a high quality lotion and creams from Jack Black.  I’ve spoken with co-founder Jeff Dandurand about what goes into his products — 100% natural ingredients that really work. I’m a fan.

Graphic design by Ted Slampyak

What would you wear and bring to a whisky tasting event? Share with us in the comments!

1 andyinsdca October 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Prince Charlie with my kilt (ancient Anderson pattern) See pic here: http://www.andyandnoreen.com/smallwhiskykilt.jpg

2 Robbie J October 18, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I’m loving this series. Keep em coming!

3 Mike October 18, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I love Jack Black products. I use that hand healer, their moisturizer, and their chapstick. I’m not a big fan of their shaving products though.

4 Dondiego Nunziata October 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm

That belt looks cool…love me some Made in the USA crafted goods.

5 Brad October 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I’m in search of wool flannel trousers, so I got all excited when I saw the link…but then found out they don’t carry my (smallish) waist size…where else can I find some reasonable priced with a modern fit?

6 Matt October 18, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Blended whisky? You must be joking! If I’m going to a tasting, it better all be single malt.

As a side note, I have been impressed with single malt irish as well. Give it a try.

7 Brad October 18, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Caol ila
Laphroaig
Lagavulin

Are some of my favorites, but then I really enjoy the smokey, peatyness that are found in islay malts…
Anything older than 10 years and single-malt.

8 The Dutch Dastard October 19, 2012 at 5:31 am

Matt, isn’t blending whisky as much an art as producing a good single malt one? It’s simply a different sport, but a sport just the same. Blended whisky is hardly a joke.

9 John McCall October 19, 2012 at 8:20 am
10 Antonio October 19, 2012 at 8:59 am

@andyinsdca – Nice!
@Robbie J – Thanks!
@Mike – I love them to – Jack Black is a great company!
@Dondiego Nunziata – Robert Porter makes those belts in Alabama – great quality and workmanship.
@Brad – You’re in a tough spot, as Orvis runs there’s large. Maybe I should start a company making flannel trousers only?
@Matt – Sounds like you know a lot about this – what do you think of my friend Heather’s video http://youtu.be/zMpjcxgabGs – is her dad’s advice sound?

11 Okierover October 19, 2012 at 9:07 am

Good socks? I’m having the worst trouble finding good socks. Socks that stay up but don’t cut off the circulation in my feet. I’ve nearly given up.

12 OkieRover October 19, 2012 at 9:37 am

Anything Heather says is okay by me! I checked out a few more of her videos and the 4 snack foods for your car was pretty good too.

13 Michael in NYC October 19, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Love that jacket and Vvego belt. Cool urban combo. No link to the jacket sadly but I’m getting the belt. Nice to find unique men’s accessories for a change.

14 Fredrik Hertzberg October 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Most important to bring to a whiskey tasting is an open mind. Even if you think you know everything and have a favourite whiskey already, be prepared to revise your thoughts!

15 Brent October 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Most Single Malts are premium by selection. Most distilleries use their best product to produce single malt for their own label. This does not mean there are not exceptional blends. I am a big fan of Johnny Walker Green Label. Whyte & Mackay are renowned for their quality. That being said, most whisky drinkers would consider Chivas Regal 12 more appropriate for mixed drinks than a dram at a tasting.

16 Zach October 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm

@Antonio- The Air Force just moved me to Hawaii and needless to say my wardrobe currently consists of Short Sleeved Blues and ABUs. I’m looking for some advice on the types of clothing (fabric in particular) I should be looking for. Personal taste note, I’m not keen on Aloha shirts. Appreciate any advice you can give! -Zach

17 Oskar October 22, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Ey, did someone just post my wardrobe?

Actually i have trouble with finding a good affordable pair of flannels in Europe. – Many makers concentrate on traditional garbs last few years so its hard to get a pair of Trousers that dont look like my grandpa weared it pre-WW2…

18 Tom October 23, 2012 at 5:51 am

I’d also wear a bowtie, maybe a dark blue with stripes. :-)

19 Father Muskrat October 23, 2012 at 3:51 pm

buckskins!

20 Jeff October 24, 2012 at 11:25 am

I’m with Brad – give me the 16-year old Lagavulin or any of the other ‘peaty’ Islay whiskies; favourites are Lagavulin and Bruichladdich

21 Smithhammer October 24, 2012 at 8:47 pm

As a real man once said;

“What’s the ‘proper’ way to drink whiskey? Mixed with Kool-Aid and slurped out of the navel of a Thai hooker, if that’s the way I like it.”

22 Shane October 26, 2012 at 2:10 am

Men need to be dressed. Men need their whiskey. I like your style on both.

23 Glengarry November 2, 2012 at 7:41 am

I´d add a Cravate, and my support for a nice Scottish single malt: a nice Glenfiddich perhaps.

24 JT November 13, 2012 at 11:53 am

That’s not how we do it in Wyoming. Boots , Blue Jeans , Tee shirt under a cowboy shirt , belt with big buckle , cowboy hat , strike anywhere matches and a cigar. Then we just Belly up to the Bar. :)

25 Scott November 14, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I can’t take this post seriously simply because Chivas Regal is the preferred whisky.

26 FR February 13, 2013 at 3:27 am

I’m proud of this community rejecting this Whisky.

27 Eric March 5, 2013 at 3:29 pm

instead of the chivas regal, a glenmorangie and instead of the lighter, some matches, then perhaps this post would seem more thought through.

28 Matthew Spencer-Kociol June 27, 2013 at 2:34 am

Well so what if Chivas is a blended whisky? It’s inexpensive and tastes OK as a starter whisky. Plus it has at least some integrity, by adhering to Scottish legal standards for blended scotch. Apparently if you get the Twelve year stuff, even if blended, it still means that the non-whisky components have aged with the whisky in the barrel for 12 years. Everything in a Chivas 12 is 12 years old, no cheating unlike some American stuff. If it’s good enough for Scotsmen it’s good enough for me.

29 Tyr August 22, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I would personally veto the Chivas Regal , its mouthwash.
Go for something with more pedigree like a Balvenie.