Outfitted & Equipped: Fall Cider & Donut Picnic Date

by Brett & Kate McKay on September 12, 2012 · 27 Comments

in Outfitted & Equipped, Visual Guides

This post is brought to you by Levi’s®. Explore the collection at Levi.com What’s this?

A few of my favorite men’s lifestyle blogs have been doing a fun series where they offer a suggested get-up or outfit based on a theme. I really enjoy them and have been wanting to do something similar –  I’m calling ours “Outfitted and Equipped.”

We’ve done a few illustrated guides on what to wear to certain events, which are handy for providing some general guidelines, but I think it’s nice to see concrete examples of outfits, along with what to bring to the shindig as well. Outfitted and Equipped also gives me a chance to show the kind of things I personally wear and enjoy.

But to be clear here — I’m not saying you have to buy these exact things! It’s just a gallery of inspiration for what to get together for different outings. Don’t read too much into it  — it’s just for fun! (Sad I have to make such a caveat, but people always do!)

Outfitted & Equipped: Fall Cider and Donut Picnic Date

1. L.L. Bean Double Layer Henley

2. Donuts (definitely cake, and preferably pumpkin spiced)

3. Levi’s® 508 Regular Taper Jeans

4. Levi’s® Leather Belt

5. Bicycle® Standard Playing Cards (for a few rounds of gin rummy with your gal)

6. Timex Weekender™ Slip Thru

7. Swiss-Link Italian Wool Army Blanket

8. Black Rivet Cycle Jacket from Wilson Leather

9. Original Rockford Red Heel Socks

10. Jack Purcell Canvas Sneaker by Converse

11. Stanley Thermos (filled with hot apple cider)

Levi’s is offering an exclusive offer to AoM readers. Just use Promo Code GOFORTH2012 when shopping at us.levi.com for a 20% discount on one item. Offer ends 10/31/12.

Graphic design by Ted Slampyak

How would you outfit and equip yourself for a fall date? Share with us in the comments.

1 dannyb278 September 12, 2012 at 11:07 am

Nice. Minus the donughts and skater shoes, this looks pretty much like my weekend field gear.

2 Dan September 12, 2012 at 11:20 am

Nice addition to the site. It’s just nice to look at. I think I’m a fan of pretty much whatever Ted does I think. Like Danny, this is pretty much something I would wear too.

3 cparadis4219 September 12, 2012 at 11:24 am

Looks like a home run get-up to me! Right on!

4 David September 12, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Now, if only I could get a leather jack to fit like that… I have discovered that leather jackets and v-shaped torsos tend to leave the bottom bit billowing away from the body. If anyone knows of some that are more “fitted” or if leather jackets can be tailored a bit i’d love to find out about them!

5 John September 12, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I’m a fan of the whole outfit…but skipping the donuts. Love the 20% discount too. I’m going for that double layer henley.

6 Stever September 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Such influence this blog has; the blanket is already sold out.

7 Craven September 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Great stuff – I really like that watch, but I can’t find a side pic. What kind of clasp does it have?

Also, boo to linking to a sold out blanket :(

8 A.J. Ciccone September 12, 2012 at 2:29 pm

From Primer online! “The Getup” series! And I am anxiously awaiting the leaves to change colors for those romantic fall dates.

9 Robert September 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Personally, I think Converse are just okay. If you want true American style, get PF Flyers!

10 Troyster September 13, 2012 at 12:04 am

My ladyfriend loves the Henley shirts. she says they flatter my collarbone.

11 Dalton September 13, 2012 at 7:33 am

Please DO NOT wear tapered jeans. Also not skinny, straight or slim straight.

12 Otoshigo September 13, 2012 at 8:23 am

@dannyb278:
Skater shoes?! Jack Purcell’s are NOT skater shoes.

13 Alex September 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

When going on a picnic, bring a pillow (or 2). This oft forgotten item makes for a great seat cushion on hard ground, and can be used traditionally after the meal is done.

14 Uomo September 13, 2012 at 11:16 am

I’m glad someone beat me to it – Jack Purcell’s are timeless American sneakers. Along with my Puma Romas, they are the only sneakers I’ll wear outside the gym.

15 dannyb278 September 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Sorry, i dont wear sneakers outside of the gym at all. Any flat bottomed shoe is pretty much a “skater” shoe in my book, Chuck Taylors included.

16 Trainer September 13, 2012 at 5:54 pm

There is nothing like the Levi’s Jeans.

17 Daav September 13, 2012 at 7:51 pm

For a fall date I would first & foremost be equipped with my 1978 Harley Davidson Ironhead. Although the fall temps are cooler with the proper layering they are just as comfortable. I would also bring many similar items as listed above, my military issue blanket that came out of the Czech Republic, my leather Nixon watch, most certainly a Stanley thermos filled with hot cider, a camera(although a smart phone will do), my straight leg jeans with rolled cuffs, a henley to go under my grey canvas jacket and my Vans sneakers.

18 dannyb278 September 13, 2012 at 9:11 pm

just add a classic triumph motorcycle and we’re in buisness.

19 Chris September 14, 2012 at 4:13 am

@Craven – it’s probably a normal buckle clasp. Search fleabay for nylon nato strap.

20 Daniel Bortz September 14, 2012 at 5:41 am

Carhartt do a great henley in a variety of colour-ways, if your not too keen on that they have plenty to suffice

21 jonathan September 14, 2012 at 9:47 am

I have the watch and the shoes… The watch is great. You can get different bands so you can change it up. I am no my 5th or 6th pair of Jack Purcell’s. The Stanley Thermos is a must! I don’t know why I don’t have one… You are missing boozes of some kind. Maybe, some apple cider and a bottle of rum… or just wine.

22 jaklumen September 14, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Why the emphasis on cake donuts?

Most of the clothes are typical of what I wore for the autumn season for many years, and still do to this day. I was never comfortable with canvas sneakers, however, preferring hiking-style boots or lug-soled shoes, and I got fed up with wrist watches (the bands always broke at some point). My jackets or overcoats weren’t leather but something similarly understated worked well.

I must take a moment to praise the choice of playing cards. They weren’t specifically part of my dates, but I had numerous friends over the years that used cards to socialize, often on long trips of some sort. So I would say based on my experience that they work better for small group dates.

23 Joe Pearman September 17, 2012 at 9:34 am

Hey AOM, thanks for getting guys discounts on clothes that we actually want to wear.

24 Jeremiah September 20, 2012 at 9:41 am

Don’t forget your trusty Swiss Army knife to cut up the donuts, open a bottle of soda pop, or cut a flower for your gal! Truly enjoyed this post.

25 Michelle October 4, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Pretty late to the game, but oh how I would love to find a man who will take me on a cider & donuts picnic without rolling his eyes.

Thanks for the wonderful posts, AOM. Though I’m female, I’m a regular reader. Women may have more magazines and blogs directed at us, but the guys still get the best ones.

26 Nick October 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm

So, hot chocolate, a sunset and a jazz club afterward work well too.

27 James Austin October 8, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Like the basic concept.. probably not spend 50.00 on a 10.00 henley shirt, , or a cheap timex watch. Replace the basketball shoes with something sturdier, and check with your date on the donuts and cider.. maybe fresh fruit (apples and peaches from a pick it yourself orchard,) some fresh cheese from a dairy, bread from the bakery,and sparkling grape juice, or wine from a winery instead.