10 Great Songs About Dads

by Brett & Kate McKay on June 12, 2012 · 324 comments

in Fatherhood, Relationships & Family

The relationship between fathers and their children is one of the most important and influential of all human connections. Children want to be like their fathers, or their complete opposites. They can feel protected, smothered, or abandoned by their dads. Dads can wonder if they’re doing fatherhood right, struggle to express their love to their children, or regret the things they didn’t say or do.

Any way you slice it, the father/child relationship can stir up a lot of emotions, so it’s no wonder these emotions have sometimes been channeled by musicians into songwriting gold. Fatherhood doesn’t get as many songs penned about it as romantic love to be sure, but there have definitely been some dad-themed gems put out over the decades. In honor of Father’s Day this Sunday, here are ten of my favorites. I know there are many more — so be sure to share your picks with us in the comments!

“Father and Son” by the Artist Formerly Known as Cat Stevens

This 1970 folk rock classic by Cat Stevens captures an exchange between a young, idealistic man looking to break away and live a life of passion, and an old, but wise father telling his son to “Just relax, take it easy.”

While many assume that the bearded, pre-Muslim conversion, hippie Cat Stevens identified only with the freedom-seeking son, in an interview in Rolling Stone, Stevens said: “Some people think that I was taking the son’s side. But how could I have sung the father’s side if I couldn’t have understood it, too? I was listening to that song recently and I heard one line and realized that that was my father’s father’s father’s father’s father’s father’s father’s father speaking.”

“Love Without End, Amen” by George Strait

Country music is filled with songs about dads, but George Strait’s “Love Without End, Amen” is surely the best of the bunch. Ever since becoming a father, I’ve definitely been learning about “the secret about a father’s love” of which good old George Strait croons.

“Papa Was a Rolling Stone” by The Temptations

“Papa Was a Rolling Stone” is a strange musical combination: truly doleful lyrics set to a funky groove. This 1970 dance hit by the Temptations tells the tale of a man discovering that his dad was a lazy, womanizing, good-for-nothing. The song teaches us that if your dad was a bad example on how to be a man, learn from him by doing the opposite…and then get up off your thing and dance until you feel better about it.

“Daughter” by Loudon Wainwright III

I can thank Judd Apatow’s Knocked Up for introducing me to this gem of a song. Whenever I hear it, it makes me want to have a daughter. But even if you have a pack of boys (or a wild and crazy Gus), you can still relate to the pride and love that Loudon Wainwright feels for his little girl. When Wainwright sings, “Everything she knows I taught her,” the truth of how much influence you have on your kiddos really hits you. Wainwright also has another song about fatherhood called “Being a Dad” that’s pretty good too.

“Cat’s in the Cradle” by Harry Chapin

The heartwrenching-est song about fathers and sons ever written. The song is based on a poem written by Harry Chapin’s wife. The couple often worked on each other’s writings, and when Harry first read the poem, he tried setting it to music, but the result didn’t grab him. It was not until his son was born that Chapin felt inspired to give turning the poem into a song another try, and “Cat’s in the Cradle” was the result.

The song tells the story of a man too busy with his career to actually enjoy the people that matter the most. He works to provide for his family, but doesn’t make an effort to build a relationship with his boy. By the time the father realizes what he’s let slip away, and wants to spend time with his son, life has come full circle — his son is too busy for him now. “My boy was just like me.”

Every time I hear this song, I start reflecting on the time I spend with my own boy and how quick he’s going to grow up. Men, if you want a relationship with your son (or daughter) when you’re old and gray, put the smartphone down, leave work at home, and go out and throw the ball around with him when he asks.

“Color Him Father” by the Winstons

Stepfathers often fill the role of the evil villain in books, movies, and music. The Winstons’ 1969 hit “Color Him Father” is a refreshing exception. The sentimental soul song is about a young boy’s love for his super stepdad who married his widowed mother and took on the father role for seven children that weren’t biologically his. The man in “Color Him Father” exemplifies the Art of Dad-liness: he works hard for his family, takes an active role in parenting, and loves his children’s mother.

“A Boy Named Sue” by Johnny Cash

Sometimes an epic bar brawl is just thing a father and son need to mend their relationship. In “A Boy Named Sue,” Johnny Cash recounts the tale of a deadbeat dad who gives his son a girl’s name (Sue) before hightailing it out of town. The boy grows up ridiculed and taunted for his feminine name and vows to find and kill his father for branding him with this indignity. When the boy, now a man, finds his dad in a Tennessee bar, a knife and gun fight ensues (see what I did there?), but by the end, the dad explains why he named his boy Sue, and Sue comes away “with a different point of view.”

I wonder how many dads have named their sons Sue after hearing this song? Any male Sue’s out there?

“My Father’s Eyes” by Eric Clapton

Understanding the backstory of this song makes it all the more poignant. Guitarist Eric Clapton grew up not knowing who his father was. In 1991, Clapton’s four-year-old son fell to his death from the window of Clapton’s Manhattan apartment. “My Father’s Eyes” was Clapton’s way of exploring the grief of not knowing his father and the tragic loss of his own son. He shares in his autobiography that the song describes “the parallel between looking into the eyes of my son, and seeing the eyes of the father that I never met, through the chain of our blood.”

Clapton also wrote “Tears in Heaven” in honor of his dead son. He no longer plays both “My Father’s Eyes” and “Tears in Heaven” during concerts because they’re too emotionally draining.

“Just the Two of Us” by Will Smith

In his debut solo album, Will Smith laid down the best song ever recorded that accurately describes putting in a baby’s car seat for the first time. In all seriousness, “Just the Two of Us” is a great song about being a dad. Smith perfectly captures what a man feels when he sees his baby for the first time or when his kid starts cutting up. Thanks to the Fresh Prince, I find myself singing in my head “Tru dat tru dat, uh ah why you do that, I try to be a tough dad, but you be making me laugh,” whenever Gus gets into mischief.

“The Living Years” by Mike + the Mechanics

There’s a reason “The Living Years,” feels so real and poignant. Not only had the man who penned the lyrics lived the song — BA Robertson’s father, with whom he had a strained relationship, had died three months before his son was born — but Mike Rutherford had also recently lost his father and had a child, and Paul Carrack, who sang lead vocals on the song, had lost his father when he was 11 years old. Put those men’s experiences together, and now you know why the song hits you right in the heart.

“The Living Years” is a gentle reminder to pick up the phone, or better yet, write a letter, to tell dad how much he’s meant to you…while you still can.

What are your favorite songs about fatherhood? Share them with us in the comments!

201 Michael June 17, 2012 at 11:25 am

“Father and Daughter” – Paul Simon. My first two children are girls. This was the song that my oldest daughter and I danced to at her wedding. It gets me every single time I hear it.

202 Boots June 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Daddy Frank by Merle Haggard

203 Alex U. June 17, 2012 at 3:50 pm

“Levon” by Elton John

204 Kyle June 17, 2012 at 5:08 pm

“Communication Breakdown” by Led Zeppelin

205 Matt C. June 17, 2012 at 9:17 pm

“Life of a Salesman” by Yellowcard. One rare song from this generation extolling fathers.

206 Big City June 17, 2012 at 11:55 pm

“My Dad” by Paul Peterson (The Donna Reed Show)

207 David G June 18, 2012 at 3:40 am

Daddy’s Hands
written and recorded by Holly Dunn

I remember daddy’s hands folded silently in prayer
And reaching out to hold me when I had a nightmare
You could read quite a story in the callous’ and lines
Years of work and worry had left their mark behind

I remember daddy’s hands how they held my mama tight
And patted my back for something done right
There are things that I’d forgotten that I loved about the man
But I’ll always remember the love in daddy’s hands

Daddy’s hands were soft and kind when I was crying
Daddy’s hands were hard as steel when I’d done wrong
Daddy’s hands weren’t always gentle but I’ve come to understand
There was always love in daddy’s hands

I remember daddy’s hands working ’til they bled
Sacrificed unselfishly just to keep us all fed
If I could do things over I’d live my life again
And never take for granted the love in daddy’s hands

208 Rick Hanby June 18, 2012 at 7:38 am

My best song about dad is ” Leader of the Band”
By Dan Folgelberg.

209 Kaitie June 18, 2012 at 10:42 am

“Daughters” by John Mayer

210 Justin June 18, 2012 at 9:34 pm

How could you possibly forget Stealing Cinderella?

211 Benjamin June 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm

“That’s My Job” by Conway Twitty. Damn song will tear a guy up.

212 Ginny June 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Brad Paisley, “The Dad He Didn’t Have to Be”

Lonestar: “My Front Porch Looking In”
Sawyer Brown “The Walk” and “Dirt Road”
There are more about a father’s relation to his daughter – but country music still has plenty about father/son

213 Brian Splash June 20, 2012 at 5:57 pm

“Fathers day ” Weddings parties anything

214 Robert June 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm

“I Love You Son” by Joshua Creek

215 Mark June 21, 2012 at 2:33 pm

“Father” and “Defender” by Manowar

216 Mack Bee June 21, 2012 at 5:00 pm

The Living Years by Mike + the Mechanics really hits me, because I lost my father 9 years ago, and it took them a week to find me to inform me of his death. I was trying to find him the last 6 months of his life to catch up with him and see how he’s doing. Then that fateful last day of April, 2003, I had found out my father passed away a week earlier. Requiescat in Pace, pater. In loving memory of James David McBee II, 6 Jan. 1948 – 23 April 2003.

217 Mack Bee June 21, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I’ve Been Watching You by Rodney Atkins. Great song about a dad’s love for his son!

218 Mosa June 22, 2012 at 8:43 am

Genesis Elijah – Fathers Day

Great song! You should really listen if you have not heard it.

219 Sam Gagliardi June 22, 2012 at 10:03 am

I adore the song ‘just the two of us’ by Will Smith – he’s such a great role model, fashionable, great dad, talented!

220 Jim June 22, 2012 at 10:08 am

It seems to me that there are WAY more songs about fathers and sons than fathers and daughters.

For those of us with daughters I’d highly recommend Cailin by Unwritten Law.

221 Spencer June 25, 2012 at 3:09 pm

“Man Out of Myself” by Wade Bowen

222 John June 26, 2012 at 11:44 am

Pet shop boys – It’s a sin!

223 Joe Kelly June 26, 2012 at 1:00 pm

“Daughters” by Greg Brown

224 Dave June 27, 2012 at 6:16 pm

old school but the best, Oh my papa by eddie fisher. My dad sang it to me as a child, and i sing it to my daughters today.

225 Norman June 28, 2012 at 6:13 pm

All This Time by Sting, written about the death of his father. When my dad was dying I listened to it 25-30 times a day.

226 Alex K. June 30, 2012 at 4:41 am

Dustin Kensrue – Please Come Home

227 chuckles June 30, 2012 at 8:38 am

Walk Like a Man by The Boss from his Tunnel of Love album. (For you youngsters out there, The Boss refers to Bruce Springsteen.)

228 jdrosner June 30, 2012 at 9:52 pm

butterfly kisses
forget the artist

229 Karen July 1, 2012 at 10:01 am

“Father to Son” by Queen. It feels so sad and so majestic at the same time… it is one of my favorites, but I hardly listen to it because it nearly makes me cry.

230 Nick July 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm

“Wear Clean Draws” by The Coup. It’s a bit different from the songs on this list, as The Coup are a leftist political hip-hop group, but “Wear Clean Draws” is the front man’s loving and funny ode to his daughter.

231 Rob July 2, 2012 at 1:30 am

Im in the Navy and whenever I hear the song Home Again by Queensreich I get all choked up. He sings the song with his daughter and its a perfect description of how I feel, since I am deployed, about my little girls back home. “So please be strong, It wont be long till I’m home again with you”

232 Gobananas July 2, 2012 at 2:54 am

These songs shows the relationship between fathers and their children that influences of all human connections. Emotions of the father/child relationship is well channeled by musicians through these songs and is a good tribute to fathers.

233 Rick July 5, 2012 at 8:10 am

There is an old Irish song called, The Old Man it is mostly played at funerals , but a great tribute to fathers

234 JON BARKER July 5, 2012 at 2:18 pm

How about my song – “THANK YOU FOR BEING MY DAD,” – check it out on YouTube & iTunes. Thanks,
JON BARKER

235 Adam July 6, 2012 at 11:40 am

Springtseen got a whole career outta writing songs about the relationship between father and sons.

‘My Father’s House’ (on Nebraska) gets me everytime. You can fall out with your Dad as a younger man, but always remember real adults are big enough to forgive past mistakes.

236 Mason July 6, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Leader of the Band by Dan Fogelberg. It’s just too perfect.

237 Alex Diers July 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Danny’s Song by Loggins and Messina

238 Mark July 7, 2012 at 8:20 am

“Dance With My Father Again” by Luther Vandross. Listening to it as I type this note and tears are rolling down my face.

239 Bradley Keyes July 9, 2012 at 8:12 am

Another one that should bring tears is ‘Oh No’ by Sonia Dada – a very underrated and underexposed band that deserves more attention than they ever got.

240 Josh Woodward July 9, 2012 at 10:42 pm

“Seeing My Father In Me” – Paul Overstreet

241 Alvin July 9, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Weddings Parties Anything – Father’s Day
A song about a father who gets to see his son every Saturday and how much it means to him. I know a few blokes in this position and this song rings a bell with them everytime they hear it

242 Elke Eich September 26, 2012 at 2:59 am

The most touching Dad songs for me are:
“Papa can you hear me”
and
“A piece of sky”
by Barbra Streisand from the film YENTL

243 Iain September 26, 2012 at 6:49 am

For me, the greatest ‘Dad’ song is a poignant tribute to a lost father – ‘Tank Park Salute’ by Billy Bragg

A buddy of mine and I (we’ve both lost our fathers), try and get to see Billy whenever he’s playing in town. We always consoled ourselves that he never played it live – knowing that we’d struggle to get through without blubbing.

Then one time, Billy plays ‘Debris’ by The Faces before saying “And here’s another song about a father…” and launches in to Tank Park Salute.

Cue the sound of stifled sobbing from hundreds of guys in the audience….

Billy plays it pretty much every time these days, and my friend and I have perfected a standard operating procedure of manly faces and strictly no eye contact for the duration 

If you don’t know the music of Billy Bragg, or have pigeon-holed him as “that guy who does the political stuff”, I urge you to search out Tank Park Salute.
__________

Kiss me goodnight and say my prayers
Leave the light on at the top of the stairs
Tell me the names of the stars up in the sky
A tree taps on the window pane
That feeling smothers me again
Daddy is it true that we all have to die

At the top of the stairs
Is darkness

I closed my eyes and when I looked
Your name was in the memorial book
and what had become of all the things we planned
I accepted the commiserations
Of all your friends and your relations
But there’s some things I still don’t understand

You were so tall
How could you fall?

Some photographs of a summer’s day
A little boy’s lifetime away
Is all I’ve left of everything we’ve done
Like a pale moon in a sunny sky
Death gazes down as I pass by
To remind me that I’m but my father’s son

I offer up to you
This tribute
I offer up to you
This tank park salute

244 Spencer Pennington September 28, 2012 at 1:29 am

These are all fantastic choices. My favorite three here were Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam’s “Father and Son,” Eric Clapton’s “My Father’s Eyes,” and Mike + the Mechanics’ “The Living Years.” Interestingly, it was my Dad who exposed me to such great music. I remember being just a month shy of my twelfth birthday and my Dad playing Cat Stevens’ “Father and Son” for me. I’ll be honest — it made me cry and it still touches my heart.

My Dad’s a big Clapton fan, and by extension, so am I; I grew up absorbing that man’s music, and “My Father’s Eyes” has always had a particularly strong resonance with me — I simply find it to be so haunting and beautiful. I learned about Eric Clapton’s loss of his son from my Dad when I was still very young, so perhaps that concept, of a father losing his little boy, always stayed with me — I couldn’t imagine it.

“The Living Years” has an especially strong connection with me. The song came out originally in 1989, I believe. Just four years previously, my grandfather (Dad’s Dad) died on the morning of March 15th, 1985 in an accident. I was born in November of 1988 and my parents were married in July of 1989, about the time that this song came out. My Dad told me that “The Living Years” was actually played at his wedding, and that he had it played, in part, because I was born not too long after his own father had passed on. He said to me, in a nutshell, that in a way, the song reminded him of both myself and my grandfather.

Great list here — loved reading it!

A couple other great ones you might enjoy would be Randy Newman’s “Memo to My Son” and Colin Hay’s “Dear Father.”

Respectfully yours from Seattle

245 MorWeb October 13, 2012 at 1:54 am

Father about a son: Brad Paisley’s “Anything Like Me.”

Rare Mother about a son – from the son’s perspective: Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man”

I was blessed when Simple Man played off a greatest hits CD, and my young son said “Momma, play that again. What that man’s Momma told him sounds exactly like what you tell me all the time. That’s MY song isn’t it Momma?!” I replied, “Absolutely baby, absolutely.” And it absolutely is what I want for my son…and his sister!

246 Halia October 20, 2012 at 4:53 pm

u2 kite…powerful lyrics, great melody

247 Brian October 28, 2012 at 8:47 pm

drive(for daddy gene) by Alan jackson

248 David October 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Atmosphere – Yesterday, also a great song on the topic of Dads

249 James November 5, 2012 at 7:04 pm

“Desperados waiting for a Train” as sung by The Highwaymen and “Teach me Pa” by Raymond Froggatt.

First one gets me every time, even though it shouldn’t yet.

250 elle November 6, 2012 at 2:51 pm

No Dance with my Father again?

251 Bassmaster November 15, 2012 at 3:22 pm

“The Best of Times” by Dream Theater. I bawl like baby every time. It’s about the drummer’s last moments with his dad, recalling a loving lifetime together. Man, it gets me so much I teared up just typing this… Not because I lost my father or anything, fortunately he’s still with me, but it conveys the emotions perfectly.

Really recommended.

252 Brick Casey November 17, 2012 at 12:57 pm

DEAR DADDY
(Brick Casey/Underground Records)

….why; because everyday is a Father’s Day.

Sincerely,
Brick Casey
100

253 KDH November 18, 2012 at 5:31 pm

The Last Song by Elton John

This song is sad and bitter-sweet. Bernie Taupin wrote the lyrics, Elton John the music. It’s about a young gay man dying of AIDS. His father dis-owned once he learned of his lifestyle.
There are two sides of this story. The son thought he was invincible…”I never thought I’d lose, I only thought I’d win”, and the father must learn to put aside his feelings about his son’s lifestyle, and realise he truly loves his son.
You feel in this song that too much time, love, and caring have been wasted. “I never thought you’d come. I guess I misjudged love, between a father and his son.
There is much debate over this topic but Love, does and should, trump all.

254 antoinette farrugia November 21, 2012 at 11:50 pm

flowers on the water by john williamson is perftect for someone who has lost there dad or any loved one

255 Dan November 23, 2012 at 12:24 am

Thanks for the list of songs (article & comments). I”m struggling with losing my father (his body is here; his mind/spirit left us years ago) and with being a father (two boys with autism; two daughters who are too much like me). The Living Years makes me tear up. Glad there’s a lot of “Dad” songs out there. Just wish there were more. Also wish there were more “life long marriage” songs. If I could write one, I would, if nothing else to honor my parents. Best advice from my Dad: that wedding ring on your hand is like a tourniquet. It’s SUPPOSED to cut off your circulation. Love ya, Dad. Miss ya…even though you drove me nuts.

256 ryan November 27, 2012 at 8:25 pm

what is the title of this lyrics please help me…
my mother was crying my father was crying I’m crying too because of losing you.. thank u

257 Rob November 28, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I Went To Your Wedding
Patti Page

258 Charles November 30, 2012 at 11:22 pm

For your daughter – none tops “Sunrise Sunset” from Fiddler on the Roof… danced with my daughter at her wedding to this and we both cried. Best artist, Topol of course!

For my dad, I agree with many – Leader of the Band by Dan Fogelburg

259 Andrew December 2, 2012 at 3:08 am

Louden Wainwright has created some brilliant work on father/son stuff.
There’s a song for his Dad called “Sometimes I Forget” – which for mine is the best, but he wrote at least four songs that would be comfortable in this “top ten”. He wrote a great song for his son, who is a once-in-a-lifetime-genius etc (I’m serious, by the way) called Rufus Wainwright which also sticks in my brain by its lines, if not by totality:
“I think I know what you’re going through – everything changes but nothing is new”
and
“…boys grow up to be grown men, then men turn back into boys again”

260 Eric December 3, 2012 at 5:54 am

Judy Collins’ “My Father”
Wendy Waldman’s “Vaudeville Man”
James Taylor’s “Daddy’s All Gone”

261 Logan December 6, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Father and Son by Peter Gabriel

262 Luke December 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Im not a country fan but my mom played Coat Of Many Colors by Dolly Parton when i was a little boy and talked about her dad/my grandpa made her choke up and when I think of it, it gets to me.

263 Jon B. Silvis December 15, 2012 at 10:28 pm

“Mu Old Man” by John Mcdermott!
Youtube it! Have a Hankie ready!!!!

264 Gamez December 18, 2012 at 1:05 am

I have finally spoken to my dead mum,she pasted on exactely 4 years ago.When we wanted to do something significant during her remembrance,we called our home town to ask our nieghbour how to go about it because during thier late uncle remembrance they told us that they contacted a powerful diviner that communicates with the dead,i guess what they communicated with thier late uncle.We did likewise,thanks to Doctor Jefferson.i hope you will be interested in talking to your dead loved ones someday,His contacted is…..doctorjeffersontemple@gmail.com

Gamez

265 Matthew January 9, 2013 at 9:19 am

Both “Talking to the Wrong Man” and “Long Line of Love” by Michael Martin Murphey are great dad songs. Love this site, by the way!

266 Josh January 14, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Lots of great songs hear, another good one is “Where Corn Don’t Grow” by Waylon Jennings. This is a great article. Thanks once again.

267 Jim S January 17, 2013 at 1:10 am

Vertical Horizon – The Man Who Would Be Santa

Try listening to this song without a tear in your eye. :)

268 sandra January 18, 2013 at 6:14 pm

its my dads funeral on friday ive chosen dance with my father for goin in to cemetry any ideas on something leaving something reflecting my mum and dad thanks sandra

269 andrew January 19, 2013 at 8:11 pm

alive by pearl jam

270 Fade Away January 28, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Hearthlands- I loved her first (for girls)
And I.agree with Cats in the cradle too

271 Jesse February 2, 2013 at 1:30 am

“Leader Of The Band.” Dan Fogelberg.

272 sterling February 6, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Patches by Clarence Carter

273 Lori February 16, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Jon Barker…I’m looking for a song for a birthday tribute DVD to my father-in law..and your song is PERFECT!!!..already bought it on ITUNES!!! He raised 5 great sons and will be turning 90 years old this year. Thank you!

274 Katherine February 19, 2013 at 3:20 pm

There are so very many beautiful songs of tribute to our fathers as seen here on this website. My FAVORITE, Everything I Own written by David Gates (Bread) for his father. I miss you Dad, everyday I miss you.XXOO

275 Phil Brewer February 21, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I have two: One bittersweet admiration and regret and the other of growing pride for one’s son. In order “My Old Man” by the late Steve Goodman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6BB1FbCA2I) and the second “My favorite Spring” by Tom Paxton.

276 Anthony G. February 21, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I sort the almost entire list and get ready to place my entry and … Catherine beats me to the punch! I second “Everything I Own” by Bread. David Gates is talking about his dad as he stated in concert not as many think, a girlfriend. Great choice.

277 MJP March 5, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I Still Can’t Say Goodbye by Chet Atkins

278 Tom March 6, 2013 at 11:05 am

“Father to son” by Phil Collins is about advice a father gives to his son as he grows up and falls in love. Great song!

279 Kwasi March 10, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Papa Don’t Take No Mess – James Brown:
Papa don`t take no mess
Papa don`t take no mess
Papa is the man who can understand
How a man has to do
Whatever he can

Papa don`t, Papa don`t, Papa don`t
Papa don`t take no mess, no
He don`t take no mess

Now Papa might grin
Drink a little taste of gin
Bet his last ten on
A little game of skins, hit me

Papa don`t take no mess
Papa don`t take no mess
Papa don`t, Papa don`t, Papa don`t
Papa don`t, Papa don`t
Papa don`t take no mess, hey, hey

Papa digs the chick
If she look real slick
Papa rap is very quick
He defintely ain`t no trick

Oh, yeah

Papa don`t, Papa don`t, Papa don`t
Papa don`t, Papa don`t
Papa don`t take no mess
Papa is the man
Who will take a stand
Papa don`t take no mess
Papa don`t, Papa don`t
Papa don`t, don`t, Papa don`t

Look, dig this

Papa didn`t cuss
He didn`t raise a whole lotta fuss
But when we did wrong
Papa beat the hell out of us

Papa don`t, Papa don`t
Papa don`t, Papa don`t
Papa don`t, Papa don`t
Papa don`t take no mess
Papa don`t take no mess

I saw Papa cry when he
Thought that I would die
Lookie here
I saw papa cry
I saw Papa cry when he
Thought that I would die
He says something was in his eye
I knew it was a lie
Papa loves his son

Mama said Papa`s smart
Papa got a whole lotta heart
And Papa would do his part
When the game get hard, hit me

280 Jeremy March 26, 2013 at 4:22 pm

How about “Father of Mine” by Everclear?

281 David Cook April 17, 2013 at 10:58 pm

These are some great suggestions by everyone! I agree that Conway Twitty had a great one with “That’s My Job” but lets also not forget George Strait sang a great tune with “Love Without End”. Randy Travis also sings “Good Intentions”! Thanks everyone God bless our kids and great daddy’s!

282 Kyle Payne May 2, 2013 at 10:49 pm

The best is “That’s my job” by Conway Twitty.

283 Steven T. May 8, 2013 at 8:23 pm

This is the greatest song about dads and sons. Ever. Especially when you read about the background.

JCB Song – Nizlopi

284 Paul May 13, 2013 at 9:11 pm

“Dance with My Father” – Luther Vandross

285 Ethel May 15, 2013 at 7:24 pm

For those with absentee fathers: “My Dad’s a Bear,” fr. “The Hoppers’ Holiday Classics” by The Hopper Bros. Hear and/or download for free at http://thehopperbrothers.bandcamp.com/track/my-dads-a-bear-fathers-day.

286 Jacque May 31, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Love Leader of the Band and Cats Cradle. But my favorite is one my parents loved when my brother Scott was little – Watching Scotty Grow by Bobby Goldsborough.

287 Steve Crowell June 1, 2013 at 10:30 am

David Bromberg,- Watch Baby Fall, or John Prine – My Old Man, or Chet Atkins -, I Stiill Can’t Say Goodbye. are some of my faves

288 Michael June 5, 2013 at 12:23 am

Winter by Tori Amos

289 Phil H June 7, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Life of a Salesman by Yellowcard was one that got me pretty good

290 Liz June 8, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Your Dad Did
John Hiatt

Well the sun comes up and you stare your cup of coffee, yup
Right through the kitchen floor
You feel like hell so you might as well get out and sell
Your smart ass door to door

And the mrs. wears her robe slightly undone
As your daughter dumps her oatmeal on your son
And you keep it hid
Just like your did

So you go to work just to watch some jerk
Pick up the perks
You were in line to get
And the guy that hired you just got fired,
Your job’s expired
They just ain’t told you yet

So you go and buy a brand new set of wheels
To show your family just how great you feel
Acting like a kid
Just like your dad did
And

Bridge:
You’re a chip off the old block
Why does it come as such a shock
That every road up which you rock
Your dad already did

Yeah you’ve seen the old man’s ghost
Come back as creamed chipped beef on toast
Now if you don’t get your slice of the roast
You’re gonna flip your lid
Just like your dad did, just like your dad did

Well the day was long now, supper’s on
The thrill is gone
But something’s taking place
Yeah the food is cold and your wife feels old
But all hands fold
As the two year old says grace
She says help the starving children to get well
But let my brother’s hamster burn in hell
You love your wife and kids
Just like your dad did

291 Timothy Jones June 12, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Do yourself a favor. Pour up a single malt and a beer, and listen to “My Old Man” by Steve Goodman.

292 Jonathan B June 12, 2013 at 2:05 pm

“A Father’s First Spring” – Avett Brothers
It’s a new song, but I will be on lists like this for years to come.

293 Sha Yusha June 14, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Christina Aguilera – Hurt

294 Franklin June 15, 2013 at 11:44 am

Leader Of The Band — Dan Fogelberg. :’(

295 Felipe Vieira June 15, 2013 at 2:18 pm

So, where is “Old Man”, of Neil Young?

“Old man look at my life
I’m a lot like you were
Old man look at my life
Twenty four and there’s so much more…”

One of the most beautiful musics I ever heard about the theme. Everytime I hear it, I remember my father, my old man…

296 Tom June 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm

2 different songs called “My Old Man”, one by Jerry Jeff Walker and one by Steve Goodman.

297 Thomas June 15, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I lostm dad a year ago to cancer and everytime I hear Atmosphere’s “Yesterday” I get a tear. The song hits so close to home to so many who lost thier father it seems like it was written just for you.

298 Jason June 15, 2013 at 3:11 pm

For a song about (impending) fatherhood, Creed- With Arms Wide Open. Even though my boys are now 5 and 2, I think of that song often.

299 Jim Thorp June 15, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I dunno if it’s what Tom Petty had in mind, but I used to sing my old daughter to sleep with “Alright for Now.”

On a humorous note (emphasizing how a father recognizes and fosters his son’s strengths): John Lee Hooker’s “Boogie Chillun”:

“One night I was layin’ down,
I heard mama ‘n papa talkin’
I heard papa tell mama,
‘let that boy boogie-woogie,
cuz it’s in him, and it got to come out.’”

300 darius June 15, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Simple man by lynard skynard….300 comments and not mentioned once???

Arms wide open by creed is a great one as well