How to Whistle With Your Fingers

by Brett & Kate McKay on April 8, 2012 · 213 comments

in Just For Fun, Manly Skills

Ever since I was a kid, I’ve wanted to know how to give a commanding whistle with my fingers in my mouth. You know. The kind you see people give in old movies when they’re hailing a taxi or trying to get the peanut guy’s attention at the ballpark. It just seemed like a cool skill to have. But alas, I’ve spent my entire young and adult life frustrated that I couldn’t uncover the secret to this age old trick.

Many of you out there reading the blog feel the same way. Believe it or not, covering how to whistle with your fingers has been one of our most requested articles. Most of the emailers shared how they had a grandpa or dad who knew how to give a loud, forceful whistle with their fingers (in my case, my mom was the master of this kind of whistle). Like me, they thought it was a cool skill, but one which unfortunately hadn’t been passed onto them.

So I finally made it a goal to once and for all figure out how to whistle with my fingers, so that I could create an AoM tutorial on the subject. After just forty minutes of annoying my wife with intense practice, I finally mastered the skill that had eluded me since I was eight years old. Achievement unlocked!

Below, I show how you too can whistle with your fingers.

Choose Your Finger Combination

Your fingers do two things that allow you to create an ear-piercingly loud whistle. First, they keep your tongue pushed back, and second, they keep your lips tucked back over your teeth. The pushed back tongue and tucked lips will create a bevel which will produce a tone when you blow.

There are a myriad of finger combinations you can use to get the desired effect. I’m going to show you my two favorites.

Two-Handed, Middle/Index Finger Combo

Extend your middle and index fingers on both hands, keeping them close together, while your thumbs hold down your ring and pinky fingers.

Place your two middle fingers together, forming an “A” shape. [See Fig. 1]

I feel like I get a louder and more forceful whistle using this finger combo.

One-handed, O.K. Sign

This combo allows you to whistle with just one hand. All you need to do is form an “OK” sign with either your thumb and index finger or thumb and middle finger.

Wet and Tuck Your Lips Back Over Your Teeth

Lip placement is key. Give your lips a quick lick to wet your whistle. Tuck your lips back over your teeth. It’s what you do when you pretend you’re an old man without any teeth. Your lips need to cover your teeth in order to whistle successfully. [See Fig 2.] Feel free to adjust how much or little you tuck your lips back. It’s going to vary from person to person.

Your fingers will help keep your bottom lip tucked over your teeth.

Push Tongue Back Into Mouth With Fingers

This step is master key of successfully whistling with your fingers and also the trickiest to get right. It was for me at least.

Some people say you just need to push your tongue back in your mouth with your fingers. That advice was a bit too vague for me.

What worked for me was folding the tip of my tongue back on itself and holding it in place with my fingers, as you see in Fig. 3. Here’s how to do it with the two-handed, middle/index finger combo.

• Place the tip of your fingers underneath your tongue right at the tip.
  • Push the tip of your tongue back with your fingers. You’re basically folding the first 1/4 of your tongue back on itself.
  • Push your tongue back into your mouth until your first knuckle reaches your bottom lips.

Same principles apply if you’re using the one-handed, O.K. sign combo.

Again, this method worked for me. Others do it a little differently–often pushing the tongue in without really folding it over. Experiment to find what works for you.

Blow

With your fingers in your mouth, keeping the tip of your tongue folded and lips tucked back over your teeth, close your mouth around your fingers. You want to make sure you have a complete seal around your fingers.

Here’s how it should look:

Give a soft blow out your mouth. You should feel the air only go out over your bottom lip. If you feel air coming out the sides of your mouth, close your mouth tighter around your fingers. Remember, perfect seal.

Make sure you don’t see your tongue make an appearance in the hole between your fingers! It’s blocking the air from coming out.

You probably won’t get a sound right off the bat. That’s okay. Adjust your finger placement under your tongue and experiment with different finger angles and varying degrees of lip tuckage until you find the sweet spot. Experimentation is key–keep making little adjustments. You’ll know when you’re getting close to your whistle sweet spot because you’ll start producing a noise that sounds sort of like you’re blowing over a beer bottle. Start blowing more forcefully, until you get that high-pitched and loud whistle.

A word of warning: make sure to take a break between blows when you’re first starting out. I’m not kidding. If you keep blowing and blowing, you’ll just hyperventilate, make yourself feel lightheaded and dizzy, and give yourself a headache.

Practice

Keep practicing until you get it. I was able to get it down after 40 minutes of dedicated practice broken up over two days. If you’re married or live with other people, go outside or in a room to avoid driving your loved ones insane. A good time to practice is when you’re stopped at traffic lights while driving alone. Once you figure it out, you’ll wonder why it took you so long to master this awesome skill!

Illustrations by Ted Slampyak

1 NightHawkInLight April 8, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Most excellent. I’ve wanted to know how to do this for years. In about five minutes I’ve been able to get an audible whistle with my index and middle finger using the advice of what to do with the tongue. People are asleep in the house so I’ll have to do some full volume practicing tomorrow. Much appreciated. Great article as always.

2 Andrew April 8, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I was lucky enough to have a grandfather that could give a loud forceful whistle, but who also passed on the skill to me when I was about 8 years old. It has come in handy so many times over the years. I have had so many people ask me how to do it, or to teach them how to do it, but I have never thought to write a post about it.

Thanks I really enjoyed reading it.

3 Jack Park April 8, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Awesome!

Thanks for the article

4 John Weis April 8, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Ugh… Spent 2 or 3 minutes trying to do this and have almost passed out… I don’t get it.

5 Asriel April 8, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I been trying to do this for years, this is helpful but i still just get a hand full of spit and now sound, any more tips?

6 Nick Welch April 8, 2012 at 11:59 pm

YES! I kid you not, I was just thinking today that I was going to give this another try but just needed to find a personal coach. Alas, AOM read my mind once again.

7 Ted April 9, 2012 at 12:18 am

sweet, I was in the same boat as you. I spent years envying my dad who could do the OK style whistle. gonna start practicing!

8 Ted April 9, 2012 at 12:29 am

Did It! wooo!

9 Bobby April 9, 2012 at 12:31 am

This is great, now I can just whistle when I need my wife to bring me a beer instead of yelling from the couch to the kitchen.

10 Dorian April 9, 2012 at 1:10 am

When I was young I mastered the art of an extremely loud whistle without using fingers (handy if you’re hands are full). It involves jutting the jaw forward and forming a whistle between the tongue and the top front teeth.

11 Michael M. April 9, 2012 at 1:47 am

Brett, you’re so cool! I’ve wanted to know how to whistle for years. I can’t wait until I can practice this tomorrow. Too late right now. Thanks, great post.

12 Mike April 9, 2012 at 1:50 am

It’s too late for me to be practicing right now, but from the couple of tries as I was reading I think I’m on to something! The two things that I never thought to do was make a tight seal and, of course, blow harder than just exhaling. Next step is to learn how to do it without fingers at all like my dad does.

13 Philip April 9, 2012 at 2:08 am

Having a grandfather that worked on a farm growing up he really didn’t want to shove his manure covered fingers in his mouth to get the attention of his brothers, so he quickly learned how to make a piercing whistle even so. He’s now just about to turn 75 and his whistle is just as piercing, though he rarely uses it.

14 Jonno April 9, 2012 at 2:23 am

Fantastic that this kind of topic is covered here. I was an only child, so I had a lot of time to practice this kind of thing as a kid. I still can’t do it with fingers, but I do the tight lipped 140db piercing whistle, probably louder than your fingered type! Very much same principles, but forming a small hole between tip of curled tongue and top front teeth and concentrating high pressure blow through that.

15 Rob Flax April 9, 2012 at 2:30 am

Thanks for posting! I mastered the two-handed whistle some time ago, but I always wanted to achieve the (far classier looking) one-handed version. Just reading this article, which made no distinction between the basic premise of the two types, gave me all the information I needed to figure it out the other way. Thanks, AoM!

16 Cory April 9, 2012 at 2:47 am

I too was obsessed with trying to whistle around 8 years old. I only use the index fingers tho. My mom was patient with me and broke it down like you did. Now that she is older and has dentures she can’t whistle

17 Chris April 9, 2012 at 3:06 am

All I’m doing is spitting on myself. Not a pleasant sight. I’m getting whistle though, just barely. Excellent article, never even knew about the tongue thing!

18 Gavin V. April 9, 2012 at 3:39 am

I’ve been wanting to be able to do this for the longest time.
I sat there for 10 minutes blowing so hard I almost passed out, but it thankfully payed off with an ear-pierceing shrike (for some reason I can only do it one-handed with my left hand despite being right handed). Great article, thank you very much.

19 Kevin Schroeder April 9, 2012 at 3:51 am

Yet another great piece from what I feel is one of the best sites on the web! I’ll be giving this a go tomorrow!

20 Anastasia April 9, 2012 at 3:53 am

first 2 paragraphs mirrored my story :)
now you made me give another try and i’m close enough!
Thank you!

21 Kevin Schroeder April 9, 2012 at 3:54 am

Yet another great piece from one of the best sites on the web!…. I’ll be giving this a go tomorrow!

22 Dre April 9, 2012 at 5:31 am

Wow that was awesome! A skill that I always jealously admired of my grandfather and that I had assumed I would never be able to carry on and in 10min I already have a basic sound coming out.

Thanks dude

23 John Phung April 9, 2012 at 5:58 am

Holy crap I just learned how to do this in about 2 minutes while reading this article!

Took about 30 seconds to do it with 1 hand using the “ok” hand gesture. Awesome!

24 Friedrich April 9, 2012 at 6:15 am

You know what I think is even more manly? The art of having a powerful voice and giving out a barbaric growl instead of having to resort to drooling all over your fingers.

25 Zach V April 9, 2012 at 7:15 am

Did you know you can whistle like this without having to use your fingers?

26 jimmm April 9, 2012 at 7:37 am

Brett, congratulations on tackling the subject, succeeding and (of course) posting. I have never had a problem whistling using two hands or even one. But I still can’t do it with the fingerless method. I’ve searched online quite a bit for how-tos, but came up empty every time.

27 Shawn April 9, 2012 at 8:34 am

Great article. My mother used the OK hand position and was able to call us kids back from deep in the woods in time for supper. I could never master it so I developed one just as loud as hers without fingers that my kids call the “get over here”. It also comes in handy when at a concert or ballgame and your hands are otherwise occupied if you dont have to use your fingers.

28 Taylor April 9, 2012 at 8:47 am

30 seconds with this article and I had a whistle loud enough to wake up the wife… oops.

29 daniel April 9, 2012 at 9:06 am

best. post. ever.

30 Doug April 9, 2012 at 9:27 am

I learned to whistle from my father but he taught me to whistle without using any fingers. It is how he called my home for dinner when I was out in the neighborhood. Now it’s how I call my kids home. I have got them whistle trained.

31 Joel April 9, 2012 at 9:43 am

My dad had a whistle that all of us kids knew growing up. He ddn’t use his fingers, just put his tongue to the back of his top teeth and blew. We could hear it throughout the neighborhood and knew we were supposed to come running. This art eluded me for years. I had given up on being able to whistle like him. A couple years ago I was on a long drive (alone). Out of boredom I kept playing around with it and actually did it. I practiced some more and can now do it on command. Good article, I’ve always wanted to whistle with my fingers but have never been able to do it. I’ll give it a whirl.

32 Joel April 9, 2012 at 9:44 am

My dad had a whistle that all of us kids knew growing up. He ddn’t use his fingers, just put his tongue to the back of his top teeth and blew. This art eluded me for years. I had given up on being able to whistle like him. A couple years ago I was on a long drive (alone). Out of boredom I kept playing around with it and actually did it. I practiced some more and can now do it on command. Good article, I’ve always wanted to whistle with my fingers but have never been able to do it. I’ll give it a whirl.

33 Joel April 9, 2012 at 9:45 am

My dad had a whistle that all of us kids knew growing up. He ddn’t use his fingers, just put his tongue to the back of his top teeth and blew. This art eluded me for years. A couple years ago I was on a long drive (alone). Out of boredom I kept playing around with it and actually did it. I practiced some more and can now do it on command. Good article, I’ve always wanted to whistle with my fingers but have never been able to do it. I’ll give it a whirl.

34 Jules April 9, 2012 at 9:47 am

Got a fair bit of spit on my monitor so far……. no whistle yet.
No doubt in this as with many things -persistence will pay off. Getting some real funny looks from my dog.

35 Miles April 9, 2012 at 9:51 am

All I did was drool on myself…

36 martin April 9, 2012 at 9:52 am

awesome! basically got it some high pitched sound with the first try, lil sis is sleeping tho so ill have to try later haha.. thanks for this!

37 Matt (2) April 9, 2012 at 9:55 am

I picked up this skill as a young man from a friend who learned it from his grandfather. At the time, it was a cool trick to know – since then, I can’t count the number of times it’s been a useful tool as a father!

38 M Kitchen April 9, 2012 at 10:20 am

Been trying to figure this out for many years, to no avail. The part about “folding the tip of my tongue back on itself and holding it in place with my fingers” was the bit I had been missing. Took all of 30 seconds to get a whistle out with this method. Thank you artofmanliness.com.

39 Eric R April 9, 2012 at 10:58 am

Not to put down any of the rest of your articles. (because they are all good).
But, this is one of the best you’ve done.
I’m going to get this down pat. It could be very useful.
Thanks a bunch.

40 Chris April 9, 2012 at 11:14 am

Head rushes and no sound. my lips are very thin. Hard to seal, but even when I do, no sound.

41 LG April 9, 2012 at 11:23 am

BEST. AOM ARTICLE. EVER.

Seriously. 20+ years of practice to get my mother’s commanding you-can-hear-it-from-six-city-blocks-away whistle with no success and I hit this one on the first try. My current level of excitement: 11. It’s one more excited.

42 Tyler April 9, 2012 at 11:48 am

Awesome! I’ve always wanted to know how to do this.

43 Joan of Argghh! April 9, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I don’t keep my bottom lip over the top of my teeth, but I do so with the top lip. I use only two middle fingers to get a very shrill, very loud effect. With some tweaking of the upper lip, you can wolf-whistle, too. Not so easy with four fingers stopping up your gob.

I can also make it with just the index and middle finger of one hand. Useful when your hands are full and you need to call the kids, the dog, the husband. . .

44 G Alexa April 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Like everyone else, I wanted to learn how to do this! When my Dad wanted my brother and I home, he would whistle and we knew we better head home! I could hear him three blocks away! I just tried it and of course, I haven’t gotten any sounds out…but my two dogs barked at me while trying! Go figure!

45 Amy E. April 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm

my mother’s been doing the no-fingers whistle (described by so many other commenters) ever since i can remember. she used to be able to call us home from the playground that was at the elementary school, a good quarter mile away at least! still need to work on this method, but at least i’m getting closer! gotta master it before my kids are able to run off on their own.

46 jose April 9, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Men, I can whistle with any finger combination or even one finger alone, but my father say that isn’t useful, he can whistle very loud just using the tongue, so when you are working the field or hunting or any other activity you’ll be able to whistle without using your hands.

47 Jon April 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Excellent. I figured it out after about 10 minutes of spitting everywhere and making myself lightheaded.

The 2 tips I’d recommend if you’re having trouble are:
1. Don’t blow so hard. If everything is right, you’ll get a loud whistle without too much effort.

2. Instead of thinking of pushing/holding your tongue back, think about pushing the underside of the tip of your tongue into your fingers. Mentally, I had trouble curling my lips and curling my tongue back. Pushing forward was an easier way to think of doing essentially the same thing.

48 Joe April 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I finally, finally managed to get the hang of this after reading this article, thank you so much for the great advice. Pictures were a great help.

49 Toby Barnett April 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I prefer the index and pinky fingers for whistling as my skills with the two fingered method results in drool. Learned when I was a young lad and thought it would be “cool” to know how.

50 mosesblack April 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm

LOVE this post!
Didn’t see anyone mention the, ”one-handed, index/pinky finger” method. It’s easier than the two handed, but just as loud. You fold the two middle fingers down, and push the index and pinky fingers together.
Works the same way otherwise.

51 moses April 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm

LOVE this post!
Didn’t see anyone mention the, one-handed, index/pinky finger method. It’s easier than the two handed, but just as loud. You fold the two middle fingers down, and push the index and pinky fingers together.
Works the same way otherwise.

52 mark schäperkötter April 9, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Thanks AoM! Not only did you rekindle a long smouldering fire, you also unlocked some long lost memories.
May I suggest a few other skills that need attention? Zippo lighter tricks; turning drum sticks between your fingers like a drummer, and, related, moving gambling chips across your knuckles like a vegas pro.
What a great site you’re running!
You guys never fail to get me exited!
Mark

53 HillWilliam April 9, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Bully, old chap! Two minutes, and I was blowing like Moby Dick! I did use vinyl gloves (I work in an environment where they are plentiful–a brothel), and it kept the slobber off my paws, though I did get a nice little flow down my chin onto my waistcoat. My middle finger on my left hand was shot off during an unfortunate incident in Kilimanjaro, so I use my ring finger, just like I do to type the letters E and D. Anyway, thank you for another great article!

54 Mark schäperkötter April 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Dear AoM,
I was discussing this post with my wife and she expressed being somewhat jealous of me having a source of information like your site. I wonder, is there a market for an Art of Womanliness? I think so. I think it could even help men in gaining an understanding of the female psyche. I am of the ” The more I know about women, the more I love my horse” -variety, but still, I think there ‘s a lot of women who’d love to have what you’re giving us men.
Just a thought.
Mark

55 gray April 9, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I am 50 and have never been able to be instructed how to do this. I followed the guide and on my third blow was whistling! A few minutes later I nearly burst my ear drums in a room with a strong echo – I think I may be heading for divorce

56 Jon April 9, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Great post, but the first pic is off with the fingers. I don’t think my wrists bend that way.

57 Doug April 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm

YES!!! I have always to know how to do this… Thank you. I love this site.

58 Deblette April 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I got one whistle!!! I have spit everywhere and I may pass out, but I am loving this. I am not a man, but I have always wanted to whistle like that. I now have something I can practice on my smoke breaks, now that I don’t smoke anymore. Thanks!

59 Timo April 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm

This is a hilarious subject and article! But it’s true, a loud whistle really comes in handy in life and I count myself as lucky to be able to emit a deafening tweet using my thumb and middle finger making a loop instead of both hands. Really useful when you don’t have both hands free. As a kid I tried the “both hands-four finger” method and I just didn’t work for me. Maybe others here will have the same luck as I did with a simpler method. But I still can’t top my dad who can somehow curl up his tongue and blast. No fingers! Dear ‘ol Dad.

60 Peter April 9, 2012 at 8:48 pm

The unfortunate part about this is dribbling all over your fingers and having to put possibly soiled fingers in your mouth and also if your arms are full of goods you cannot whistle for a cab or your wife….or for any attention.
The answer is to take time and to learn to do it without your fingers and you will be able to whistle louder and longer than with the fingers in your mouth.
I did both when i was still in High School (at 12) and never want to put fingers in my mouth to get that whistle again.

61 Michael April 9, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I have always wanted to be able to do this. Your illustrations and instruction was spot. What worked for me was a little different, but the article was a great start. After about a half hour i did it. Thanks.

62 Jonas April 9, 2012 at 9:33 pm

My father is able to do this with no fingers in his mouth, although the rest of the process is identical. I was able to learn how to do this using my index and middle finger. Comes in handy all the time!

63 Moses April 10, 2012 at 12:07 am

LOVE this post!
I l ‘arned m’self how to finger whistle (and am always amazed at how few can do so), but I use the one hand, index/pinky method (just fold the others out of the way).
This post made me realize I never taught my sons (or daughters, for that matter) this wonderful skill. I’ll start immediately – with forwarding this article!!!

64 Michael April 10, 2012 at 1:06 am

Oh man! It works! My mother whistles with the two finger method and she was always able to get mine and my sister’s attention quickly and now I can use it with my boys. Thank you!

65 Gil April 10, 2012 at 1:10 am

I remember a fellow who could whistle with only one hand :|

66 Sir Derp April 10, 2012 at 1:11 am

Arrghh!

I’ve seen many an article adressing this skill, but they mostly explain it the same way. I think it’s the kind of thing that can’t be taught intuitively.
What we need is a scientific/engineering approach. I wish someone would commission a study for this. Learn the science behind it and how best to actually teach it.

“…you’ll start producing a noise that sounds sort of like you’re blowing over a beer bottle.” This seems like the most helpful sentence to me.

Also, to everyone saying you are “getting close,” you might be kidding youself. I have thought that in the past. Turns out I was basically just regular-whistling with my fingers in my mouth.

67 GT April 10, 2012 at 1:21 am

@jose April 9, 2012 at 2:31 pm – same here: I learned how to whistle on any finger/thumb combo on either hand, back in the 1980s… once you’ve got it down for one combination, the rest is a matter of practice.

But I’d trade it all to be able to do the mouth-only whistle (like ‘Dr Cox’ does on ‘Scrubs’)… but whenever I try, I just make spazz noises like a massive ‘tard..

(I think there was an episode of Scrubs where JD tried to be Dr Cox… when he tried to do the whistle, it was almost as lame as when I try).

68 acudoc April 10, 2012 at 2:44 am

Got it, after two minutes. The trick for me was to fold the tongue upwards and backwards and close the distance between the tip of the tongue and the upper palate. Thanks!

69 P.M.Lawrence April 10, 2012 at 5:49 am

A gentleman is usually far more discreet than this. Whistling for attention is rarely needed, and the attention it gets may well not be respectful.

70 Aaron H April 10, 2012 at 7:30 am

Awesome! I had tried this many times before to no avail. After reading this article I’m getting some (perhaps not-so-impressive-but-still-existant) whistles! Thank you!

71 Michael a April 10, 2012 at 8:58 am

Why bother sticking fingers in your mouth? It’s dirty for one thing.

Better to learn how to whistle forcefully without using your fingers. It’s easier, if you ask me.

72 Deeemitri April 10, 2012 at 8:59 am

Whistling with your fingers is unsanitary and plain old gross. Much louder, quicker and more effective is whistling by curling your tongue down and back and pushing air over its top. Of course, this is much harder to master. It took me about two years to get it just right and loud enough to hail cabs in NYC. It was worth it. It’s impressive at stadium events and it makes people jump it’s so loud and shrill.

73 Chris April 10, 2012 at 9:41 am

I am giggling with delight… it worked first try! I could never do this but I always could cup my hands with my thumbs together and blow and sound like an owl.

74 Rex April 10, 2012 at 10:35 am

I always admired my Dad and others who could whistle without any fingers. I never learned to do it.

75 Will April 10, 2012 at 10:55 am

Always wanted to do this like my dad could. Definitely going to learn now!

76 Art April 10, 2012 at 11:06 am

Great article. I’ve always wanted to learn to whistle without my fingers. Can you point me in that direction?
Thanks for all that you do.

77 Martin April 10, 2012 at 11:47 am

This is why this website is awesome. Thank you. Keep up the good work! I can’t wait until I actually use this skill in real life!!!

78 DH April 10, 2012 at 11:51 am

I was 40 years old when a kid showed me how to whistle with an ACORN HAT. I was flabbergasted that I had never seen anyone do it before, because it was awesomely loud and shrill. I have mastered this technique and can whistle on almost anything remotely resembling that acorn hat now. Bottle caps work really well. Maybe something for a future followup?

79 Windmill April 10, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I don’t know what kind of tongues ya’ll have, but whenever I try to push mine back or “fold it” it just retreats into my mouth.

80 Gary House April 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I have been lucky to have learned this skill many years ago. Great for the dog and kids … but I have never mastered the art of whistling with-out fingers, comes out as a puff of air, lol. Oh well! Thanks for the great how-to.

81 Chase Christy April 10, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Just what I need, another way to annoy people. Thanks AOM!

82 Mehul H. April 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Excellent!

Thanks, I always wondered how to do this. :)

83 Barnyard April 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Never could get the one with the fingers down, I can whistle loud w/o the use of my fingers. I never heard of using an Acorn Hat, my dad taught me how to use a 1/2 blade of grass (torn vertically, held tightly between your thumbs). I can also whistle on the inhale and have mastered creating a cricket chirp with the inhale whistle. It drives people nuts, its great when there is awkward silence then you hear cricket chirping.

84 Pete April 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Wohoo, it works. And what a timing ! Just day before yesterday my son asked me if I could whistle with my fingers and I told him his grandfather could but hadn’t passed the knowlegde on to me. Now I can teach him ! This is great !

85 Weston April 10, 2012 at 8:02 pm

yes. finally, I can whistle like my dad. some day my kids will know my call. thank you for this. truly.

86 creesto April 10, 2012 at 8:46 pm

To pull off the one hand trick, all the same steps apply. Just put your thumb and forefinger into a a circle with their tips touching, fingernails tipped forward and down a bit…

87 Dave April 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Thanks for this post. Now I have a manly whistle!

88 Jason April 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I’ve always wanted to know how to do this. My dad could always do the same forceful whistle without using his fingers at all. He just somehow curls his lips into the right shape. I have no idea how he does it.

89 Mike April 10, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I just tried and ended up gagging myself.

90 JeffC April 11, 2012 at 12:04 am

Reading the article: interesting.

Reading the comments: hilarious!

91 Mr. X April 11, 2012 at 5:43 am

Excellent. Have always wanted to know how to do this since I was a kid.

92 Pieter April 11, 2012 at 6:11 am

I forgot how much I wanted to be able to do this as a kid. I’m almost there now! Awesome, thanks to you!

93 robyn April 11, 2012 at 10:30 am

Thank you! After 40 years of being a whistle-less dork, I can finally be cool! Got the “Okay” whistle down after 3 tries! =D

94 laura April 11, 2012 at 10:58 am

My mother could do this when I was a child, used it to call us back to the house since we lived on such a big piece of property out in the boonies, but I could never figure out how. I did, though, learn to mimic the sound perfectly with my throat. Probably awful for my vocal chords, but definitely threw my friends off while they played at my house.

95 stephen April 11, 2012 at 11:03 am

I had a woodshop (remember those?) teacher in elementary school that could whistle loud enought to bring the classroom to attention over the noise of all of the machines. He used a ‘one pinkie finger’ version of this technique. I learned to whistle like this a few years later, but needed two pinkie fingers. Now, 35 years later, I can achieve the same tone and a higher volume without using any fingers at all.

Keep trying guys!

96 andrea hines April 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm

what about the ni finger whistle—teeth and tongue working together!!

97 andrea hines April 11, 2012 at 3:18 pm

or even the NO finger method (don’t know about the ni) some dumb fool did that

98 Adam April 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm

As a kid, when I learned how to whistle with my fingers, it was one of the proudest days of my life. Although I still can’t figure out how to do it sans fingers without it coming out airy and low.

99 Nick April 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm

One word:
YOUTUBE
There are real life examples showing how to whistle like this. I can’t fold my tongue back, so I had to find another methodx

100 Brian April 11, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Ive tried many ways, including using this guide, I have never been able to whistle and still cannot. I suppose I still need to practice.