Anatomy of a Dopp Kit

by Brett & Kate McKay on January 23, 2012 · 101 Comments

in Accessories, Dress & Grooming, Visual Guides

Deodorant. Travel bottle of shampoo. Aspirin or Tylenol. Bar of soap. Toothbrush. Safety razor. Floss. Toothpaste. Extra pair of contact lenses. $20 bill. Comb. Band-aids. Shaving cream. Sewing kit. Shaving brush. Digestive medicines. Nail clippers.

Illustration by Ted Slampyak

See also: Building the Perfect Dopp Kit

What do you pack in your Dopp kit?

1 Fern Miller January 23, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Old camera cases – now easily found at garage sales, since everyone has gone digital – make GREAT Dopp Kit cases. I used one to make a kit for my husband for Yule a few years back, he thinks it’s the best thing since … well, travel sized toothpaste.

2 Mike W January 23, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Nice compilation… perhaps it might be worth mentioning the “carry-on” worthiness of some of the components. I don’t know about you, but I’ve had difficulty with bringing nail clippers onboard (yes, really). Possibly even the safety pins/sewing needles/razor (depending on type).

3 Bob January 23, 2012 at 9:44 pm

The one uncommon thing that I always find that I need is a good old pen. I now always have one in my kit every time I travel.

4 jim January 23, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Flashlight, and when not flying, or when checking bags, a Swiss Army Knife.

5 Able Sable January 23, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I keep some of those little alcohol wipes in mine, and some immodium if I’m travelling overseas. Also, a couple of napkins that can double as toiletpaper never hurt!

6 adambauer January 23, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I bought my first dopp bag in Ft.Benning GA. Black ripstop nylon with army logo on the side. It has be on every trip in the last 16 yrs.

7 Bruce Williamson January 23, 2012 at 9:48 pm

So that’s what it is called. My parents always packed one during vacations (I guess my father got the idea from the military). My wife and I still pack one and yes it is leather.

8 JRWinkler January 23, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I keep several kits, and throw them together depending on the trip. I have a checked luggage/car trip dop bag (nice black bag like this one), a separate complete TSA-checked luggage toiletries kit, and a travel essentials kit (in an Eagle Creek zip pouch) with eye glasses repair, sewing kit, first aid/medicines, pocket knife, and tea (among other thing). I’ve also got one of those iGo tip cases so that I can charge everything on the road, at the hotel or in the car. After each trip I rebalance and reconsider what I’ve put in each based on what works.

9 Jonathan January 23, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Cologne
Multitool
Stain Remover
Pen
Cotton Swabs
Mouthwash

10 Phil January 23, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I have a travel bottle of Gold Bond in my dopp kit. Gold Bond is utterly indespensible during travel: prevent and treat chafing, and can be used in a pinch to prevent razor burn when wearing collared shirts.

11 Jonathan January 23, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Hair Product (optional)
Body Powder
Styptic pen

12 Pat January 23, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Great post! Got my first 30 years ago when I went off to boot camp. Had to replace it last last year.

13 Jason January 23, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Ammo bags are perfect for these types of things.

14 Marksers January 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm

It’s missing a styptic ~_^

15 Dave January 23, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Good list. Here’s a few tips I’ve learned through years of business travel. Save space by buying a 3-in-1 shampoo/body wash/shaving cream. Nivea’s men’s line works pretty well. Also, I’m old enough to have a bunch of film canisters still around. They’re great for pills like vitamins or a travel necessity like Pepto pills.

16 (r)Ev January 23, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Glaring omission: premium condoms and paraben-free natural lubricant with herbal extracts.

17 Richard January 23, 2012 at 10:56 pm

You’ll never get on a plane with a safety razor, well, the blades at least.
Sucks.

18 Tim January 23, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Razor
Shaving cream
toothbrush
tooth paste
contacts
saline solution
hair product
glasses
dental floss

I travel VERY frequently for work and keep just about all of this (minus the glasses) in my kit all the time. I don’t understand traveling with cleaners. Every hotel I stay in provides shampoo/conditioner/soap.

19 Tim January 23, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I left deodorant off of the list on accident. I do prefer to NOT stink.

20 Rob c January 23, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Goldbond and baby wipes. For emergency gouch associated issues.

21 Rob c January 23, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Goldbond and baby wipes. For emergency issues.

22 Nat January 23, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I second the condom note, and fold up a telephone list with that twenty, just in case your cell phone conks.

23 Will tomkinson January 23, 2012 at 11:43 pm

My safety razor blades are confiscated at 1/2 of the TSS airport checkpoints I go through (36 per year or so but some with checked bags) so I have given up on the dopp kit safety razor and keep it at home.

24 Robert Honan January 23, 2012 at 11:48 pm

The only thing I’d change there is the shaving cream, as I use a shaving stick when I travel. I most certainly second the suggestion of including condoms and a list of important contacts. Actually, that prompts the most important item to include in any piece of kit, your contact information a list of medications you take.

25 Brandon January 24, 2012 at 12:08 am

I travel frequently also, and my bag is small and snaps in the top of my suitcase. Space is limited.

I don’t keep soap or shampoo as most hotels we stay in have them.. I do keep a few dollars in quarters for emergency vending machine drinks, a pen and a pencil, a small fork (- you’d be surprised how many times that has come in handy,) a small travel bottle of baby powder and sunscreen (I do a lot of walking in the summer heat for work.) and a tic-tac container with a mixture of tic-tacs, red Advil, and blue sleeping pills.

I also keep an emergency 5-hour energy drink and/or a package of Stacker pills for emergency hangover re-couperation… I have thrown a Cliff bar in there a time or two also…

26 Native Son January 24, 2012 at 12:35 am

OK gentlemen.
For air travel, pack a disposable razor or a cartridge razor in the Dopp Kit. Pack your sewing kit, manicure tools, pocket knife and/or multitool in your checked bag.
Been doing that for the last several years, never have had a problem.
BTW, it’s an excellent idea to stash an extra set of underwear, pair of socks and a hand towel in your briefcase or business carry on bag.
While “most hotels have shampoo”,I’ve found most hotels don’t have dandruff shampoo, so that original advice definitely stands.
Also, don’t forget any daily medications, preferably carried either in those daily pill boxes or the prescription bottle.

27 Jonathan January 24, 2012 at 12:58 am

Lotion
Hand Sanitizer
Travel Size Disinfectant Spray

28 Obadiah Brians January 24, 2012 at 1:07 am

I’m an active duty Officer currently serving in Afghanistan. Since I have to use a community shower area, over a hundred meters from my tent daily, the Dopp kit is a part of life. The key I’ve found is to keep the contents minimal. On a daily basis mine contains:
Nivea 3 in one (Hair, shave body wash)
Deodorant
toothbrush (with travel tube)
toothpaste
Safety Razor
badger brush (a cheap one)
shave soap (in a sealed container)
pre shave oil (3oz)
fingernail clips
toenail clips
10 pack of DE razor blades
Goodys Headache powder

The key is to taylor it to what you need, when traveling I include a shave brush travel tube and move the razor blades, and finger/toenail clips to my checked bags. I usually replace the shampoo with a small travel size and then utilize the hotel’s complementary items.

Sewing kits are great, but keep a little larger more complete set at your house (tent in my case) or just get one from the hotel when traveling.

Weight and size are a premium, especially when you live out of a Rucksack.

29 Randel January 24, 2012 at 3:23 am

Here is my Dopp kit. As a Over the road trucker I seldom see the inside of a motell room and Must pack accordingly for truckstop Hygene..

1, Shampoo. I use the $1shampoo and use it as a body wash. My hair is crew cut so I need no conditioner.
2, Shaving razor. Prefer mach3
3, deodorant
4,toothbrush
5,toothpaste
6,bottle aspirin
7, gold bond powder
8, no sewing kit but I do carry a pack of those instant attach replacement buttons and a roll of gorilla tape.
9, small bottle lystrine
10, Keep a roll of quarters for laundry/ phone
11, large wash cloth
Shower shoes are stored on top and the list of contact phone numbers are in my wallet in plastic photo compartment.

30 Edinburgh Gym Man January 24, 2012 at 6:01 am

Everything the modern man would ever need.

I’d also like to see a compartment to put the cell phone ;)

31 Jason January 24, 2012 at 6:25 am

I have to pack my safety razor/blades in checked baggage due to TSA regs, but I bought an chrome handled razor that accepts trac II blades that work not quite as well in case I need to shave before I reach my destination. I leave the soap at home but pack my own shampoo because hotel stuff often makes my scalp flake.

32 Shea January 24, 2012 at 7:04 am

I concur with most all the post here in the content of your dopp kit. For my sons and other young men just starting to realize the dopp’s importance I would recommend building it to be independent of your normal daily hygiene products. As a National Guard officer I know that I will be traveling no less than once a month, usually more when considering my civilian job too. It helps knowing that it is packed and ready at all times and all I have to do is grab it and go. Another hint is to put it away when not in use and not live out of it all the time. When at home, be at home! Don’t look so anxious to leave, it can be hard on a relationship.

33 Jon January 24, 2012 at 7:48 am

Like Adam, I bought my US Army dopp kit when I went to basic training at Fort Sill, OK. It goes with me everywhere and reminds me of some good times with my brothers from other mothers!

34 Jean January 24, 2012 at 8:08 am

This kit is missing the condoms!

35 Andrew K January 24, 2012 at 8:27 am

I didn’t know they came out with 3 in 1 shampoo/conditioner/shaving gel. How much would you spend for all of the items in the dopp kit and the dopp kit itself?

36 Tyler January 24, 2012 at 8:39 am

I always pack a stash of Q-tips. I use them frequently to take care of wax issues, but they also come in handy when traveling with babies.

I also like to have a small bottle of Melaleuca (Tea Tree) Oil. Antiseptic, bug repellant, and itch reducer all in one. As one who is favored by mosquitos everywhere, this is essential.

37 Darren January 24, 2012 at 8:53 am

I think it’s a good idea to always bring a sewing kit. It’s something people overlook, but you’ll be glad of it if a button pops off or comes loose on your shirt or jacket.

With sewing in general; I think it’s a valuable skill that’s fallen to the wayside through a combination of cheap disposable clothing and an ignorant view that it’s not manly, and something only women do. Life skills are something that everyone should learn.

38 Tom G. January 24, 2012 at 8:59 am

Immodium is a must for business trips.

39 Stan January 24, 2012 at 9:47 am

A second government-issued photo ID. If you lose the one in your wallet, another kept off your person will get you through airport security.

40 Blevins January 24, 2012 at 9:52 am

Given the contents listed, I’m assuming the Twenty is to make sure you get through security???

41 Tim January 24, 2012 at 9:56 am

It never fails…when I travel I always grow a couple of crazy eyebrow hairs or wake up with a 2″ nose hair or find that I need to harvest the shrubbish growing out of my ears. I can’t go anywhere without a good pair of tweezers.

42 MrFlippy January 24, 2012 at 9:58 am

I NEVER leave home without the Trojan MAGNUMS…

43 uscroger January 24, 2012 at 10:00 am

give me a break! condoms, pens, quarters, swiss army??? Gee…why not pack a gun, as well. It is a Hygiene Kit (as we called it in the Marines). I’d recommend a small field mirror (made out of metal) if you are going camping or if you like to shave in the shower (either at the gym or wherever you are staying).

44 jeff January 24, 2012 at 10:29 am

Have a micro fiber wash cloth and a bottle of hand sanitizer so you can have a backup for when you don’t have a shower, or if you just feel like having a sponge bath to remove travel funk before getting to your destination.

45 Martin Paul January 24, 2012 at 10:51 am

I also keep a rubber doorstop in my kit. (Even the best hotels have guests who try to barge in).

46 Mark January 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

Great picture. Now, is there an article that will show just how to pack it like that? When I get to where I’m going mine always looks like the the room of my 10 year old. ;-)

47 Kevin L January 24, 2012 at 11:27 am

The only drawback to the configuration shown in the picture is the safety razor. TSA won’t allow a safety razor through with the blades. They’ll let a disposable razor through. I used to carry my blade in a pocket (there isn’t enough metal mass to set off the detector) but the body scanners eliminated that.

48 John January 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

Always carried one after my stint in the USN-If I could pack a cheap pistol I would! Surprised that Q-tips, Band-Aids and a small tube of Neosporin were not mentioned. I’m always cutting myself at work performing hospital maintenance. BTW, be careful with the powdered aspirins-they will rot a hole in your stomach!
Eagle Scout 1975-Persian Gulf Tours-’90/’93-John

49 Daniel Kim January 24, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I keep individually wrapped Lactase tablets (I am lactose-intolerant) and a tube of prescription Zovirax ointment (anti viral cream for cold sores). The stress of travel often brings up cold sores, and if I apply the Zovirax just as the itching starts, it usually disappears before it becomes visible or breaks the skin.

BTW: Recommend compiling a list of travel essentials, to be updated during every trip, so you never forget an important item twice. This list can also be kept on paper in your kit.

50 brandon January 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm

You guys can laugh all you want at the quarters, but after being hungry or thirsty as heck at 2 or 3am in a hotel room with no spare change for the machine at the end of the hall and nasty tap water, I’ve added a few coins to the bottom of the bag. I keep the pen and pencil because my job requires me to take notes during phone calls, and again, I’ve had times without one handy. It’s just me.. I’m on the road twenty times a year over the spring, summer, and fall… and have been for the last six years. It’s just what I’ve found to be handy. Your mileage may vary… ;)

I will say that things like dandruff shampoo, medication, and condoms are if you need them.. I don’t, so I don’t pack them….

51 cwnidog January 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm

It seems that a lot of us got our first Dopp kit at, or in preparation for, Basic Training.

I’m still using the same one almost 35 years later. Oh, and the same shoe brush too. Both were gifts from my mother-in-law who knew how to choose them.

52 pierre January 24, 2012 at 2:35 pm

You forgot:
High-grade cannabis.
Pinchie.
Small semi-automatic handgun.

53 Moeregaard January 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm

One item that I never travel without is my Mini Maglite. Having that on the nightstand in hotel rooms provides the ability to find my way around the room if the power goes out in an emergency, or just saves my shins when navigating my way through a strange room at night.

54 Rod January 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Thiers Issard Straight Razor
Edwin Jagger Safety Razor
Edwin Jagger Twin Blade
(all depending on the man that I feel that day to which razor I choose)
Travel Strop
Taylor of Old bond Street Regenerating night cream
Vitamins & Medication
Dovo Manicure Set
Gum
Cinnamon tooth picks

55 GP January 24, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Jack Reacher carries a toothbrush in his shirt pocket and that’s it.

56 TonyB January 24, 2012 at 4:42 pm

For some reason I was always under the impression this was called a “diddy bag”… where did that come from!? From now on, I will only be sporting dopp kits whenever I travel. Now I just need one with awesome pockets, straps, and compartments! Great post, AoM!

57 Erik January 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Lot’s of good ideas here. I like to keep it light, but I’d add a small pair of scissors, antibiotic creme and a piece of moleskin to the list.

58 Erik January 24, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I apologize for the extraneous apostrophe in the previous comment. long day…

59 Chris January 24, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Good idea w/the sewing kit and the emergency $20. I never thought of those.

One thing I’d add is a toothbrush cover. You don’t want the brush end to get all dirty and nasty before you stick it in your mouth (particularly if you have cash in there–who knows where it’s been!), or get other items in the bag damp from a not completely dry brush.

60 Donny January 24, 2012 at 7:09 pm

@Chris, Nothing is wrong with a few sandwich bags to keep your dirty stuff separated from your hygeine items. (e.g. Toothbrush, q-tips and the likes)

61 Chieftain January 24, 2012 at 8:33 pm

The Dopp kit in this sketch is pretty good. I’d rearrange it a bit, and add a few things, based on many years as a Road Warrior:

1) shampoo, soap &tc — you can usually get that at any hotel/motel you stay at. So substitute the bottle for a couple of their complimentary sachets and mini soap bars. It will save you room in your Dopp kit, and weight.

2) leave the shaving brush at home. Shave in the shower, use shampoo for your shave cream. Save space.

3) Safety razor — yes, they are good to use, a straight razor is better. On the road tho’, use a disposable razor instead. Less room required, less weight. Pack only one, buy more if you need ‘em.

4) Aspirin/Tylenol — pack a small tin, not a whole bottle. Or, better yet, buy ‘em only if you need ‘em. Unless you are traveling to the deepest darkest jungles of Africa or South America, Aspirin/Tylenol is easy to get, at any chemist/pharmacy. And cheap. Don’t pack it.

5) Prescription drugs: definitely pack them, in their original boxes.

6) Swiss Army Knife — yup, with all the gadgets possible. This probably means your shave kit goes into Checked Baggage. That’s fine. A Swiss Army Knife is an excellent substitute for nail clippers.

7) Deodorant — are you kiddin’ me? Real Men do not wear deodorant. Not on the road, not anytime. Real Men wash regularly instead, and smell nice. Do not pack deodorant in your Dopp Kit. Teddy Roosevelt wouldn’t do it, so why should you?

8) Pen and (small) notebook. Always handy, never around when you need ‘em. In your Dopp Kit, you’ve got one, and you know exactly where it is.

9) Phone Card: payphones are hard to find. Payphones that accept coins are even harder to find. If your cellphone is dead or not in a reception area, and you need to place a call, it’s good to have a viable alternative to begging local businesses to use their phone. And it’s more dignified. Have a Phone Card with, say, $10 bucks on it handy. It takes no space at all.

10) Black plastic garbage bag. Folded small, it has 1001 different uses. Including being converted into a pretty good raincoat if it suddenly decides to pour down rain.

Those are my suggestions, anyrate…

62 Eric January 24, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I got a small spit kit from REI, and always keep the same things in it. That way, it’s ready to just throw in my bag. As far as condoms and knives go, you ought be carrying them on your person. Rubbers and knives do you no good if they’re in your room and not in your hand.

63 Eric January 24, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I got a small spit kit from REI, and always keep the same things in it. That way, it’s ready to just throw in my bag. As far as condoms and knives go, you ought be carrying them on your person. Condoms and knives do you no good if they’re in your room and not in your hand.

64 Eric January 24, 2012 at 8:53 pm

65 Eric January 24, 2012 at 8:53 pm

66 Mikey January 25, 2012 at 12:04 am

+ Sleep Mask
+ Ear Plugs

Never know how inhospitable the sleeping arrangements will be and unfortunately I sleep lightly.

67 Liam January 25, 2012 at 8:02 am

Just finishing a week-long trip, during which I’ve gotten by using only a folding toothbrush, folding razor, toothpaste, shaving oil, styptic pen, deodorant stick, nail clippers, and scissors. I like traveling ultralight, and all of this fits in a wallet-sized pouch that I can stick in my pocket and forget about. It probably helps that I’m bald.

68 Jeff January 25, 2012 at 10:21 am

All of the above, plus:

Travel sized mouthwash (I reuse an old screw top bottle of listerene)

Real bar of soap and ziplock bag
Brush
small scissors
tweezers

wipes for glasses
screw driver for glasses (tape the end)
small thing of baby powder
oragel, benadryl, bacitracin

Bottle opener, wine bottle opener

It packs a little tight in the nice leather case my in-laws gave me a few Christmases back, and I check it with my big bag.

Most of these things aren’t that hard to find if you need them, as long as you discover the need when the stores are open. But the off use ones (like oragel) are worth their weight in gold when you need them.

69 Sugapablo January 25, 2012 at 6:41 pm

And I thought only women over-packed. ;)

I’m stuck on this style myself. Hangs on a hook, door, shower rod when bathroom counter space is slight. http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=150&id=353

Maybe not as suave as a Dopp, but in terms of practicality, they’re great.

70 R Kelly Johnson January 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I use the hanging bag, too, and I have two of them. I have three dopp style bags as well. I mix and match to suit the trip. Since I live in deepest, darkest Africa, and I’m away from home twelve weeks out of the year, I prefer to take a hanging bag for everything I use to shave and wash. The other bag I like to call The Magic Bag of Tricks. In addition to most of the stuff you guys carry, I add a shoe brush and polish, toothpicks, a variety of meds, and Skin So Soft. It is the best bug repellent for the money, and after using it for a prolonged period of time, it starts smelling a little sexy…

71 R Kelly Johnson January 25, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Oh, and I add my trusty beard trimmer, batteries removed.

72 Carl January 26, 2012 at 8:09 am

Alas, I no longer need the comb…

73 Justin January 26, 2012 at 8:40 am

I bought the same one as adambauer 12 and a half years ago at Ft. Benning. It has been around the world twice and all across the country without so mush as a frayed edge. My father has one, my brother has one, and I’d be willing to bet my brother-in-law now has one. The army really got one thing right with that dopp and I’d say they were built for a single one to last the span of a soldier’s career.

74 Andrew#2 January 26, 2012 at 3:13 pm

– Walther PPK (would be cool).

– Condoms (for when wife forgets her pill in the travel).

– Tiny bottle tea tree oil (best all around disinfectant ever)

– Pack all of the scented objects in little ziplock bags to avoid polluting Tylenol/toothbrush.

75 Jim January 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I use my Dopp Kit daily in my home so it is almost always stocked and ready for a trip. Right now is an exception to that rule, I have taken up wet shaving using a DE safety razor and have not added travel brush and shave cream to my supplies.

76 Mike January 27, 2012 at 4:14 pm

If anyone is looking for a Dopp kit. I could recommend this one enough. Spacious and very well made. http://www.redoxx.com/Bag-addict-spots-Bigfoot-with-briefcase/Nomad-Shave-Kit/91035-Shave%20Kit/900-10072/Product

77 John Galt January 28, 2012 at 9:05 am

Lot’s of good comments, but obviously coming from different travel experiences. Dopp kits are like the rest of your packing needs – tailorable to urban/rural, check bag/carry-on, hooch/5-star hotel situations. Would definitely add q-tips as they are equally useful for cleaning wax from the ears or carbon deposits for your PPK/Sig/Taurus (depending on the circles in which you travel).

I agree with uscroger (#43) that the Dopp kit was originally intended for hygene necessities, but to each his own. I usually maintain pen/pencil, notepads and other specialized gear in separate kits. Also prefer the Leatherman to a Swiss Army knife. I have used the pliers/wire cutters on numerous occasions over the past 30+ years of foreign and domestic travel, and much easier to get through customs than the full scale tools.

For TonyB (#56), “diddy bag” is equivalent to a “go bag” rather than the Dopp kit, and is derived from Vietnamese word “di” meaning to go, or move away. Most popular reference is use of “di di mao” in Russian roulette scene from the movie “Deerhunter.”

78 Dave January 28, 2012 at 11:16 am

I keep some extras: a small folded up pancho, 2 in one hand crank radio/flashlight, small compas, paracord keychain and neosporin.

79 Rick T January 29, 2012 at 7:31 am

The only item in my kit that I haven’t seen mentioned thus far is metal and plastic collar stays.

80 Moeregaard January 31, 2012 at 9:09 am

A folding corkscrew. Nothing spells desperation like trying to uncork a bottle of wine in your hotel room by pushing said cork down into the bottle with a table knife.

81 Mick February 3, 2012 at 4:47 am

Thank You John Galt. Took the words right out of my mouth, changed them to something far more polite than I would have said about some of these girls comments above, and saved me offending anyone.

82 Mick February 3, 2012 at 4:50 am

I forgot to mention I usually carry enough for a week in a daypack, and as I shave with a cut-throat razor I always put the day pack, with toiletry kit inside it, through checked luggage when I travel by ‘plane.

83 Josh February 7, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I’ve flown with DE razor blades several times and have never had the slightest problem with passing security. I normally only carry a few extra blades. If TSA wants to throw them out I can always pick up something at the other end of the flight.

84 Andrea February 7, 2012 at 10:36 pm

There have been so many times I have said something to guys about a Dopp Kit and they look at me like I’m crazy. My dad always had a dopp kit when I was growing up he took it everywhere we went. What are men teaching their boys these days that I know dopp kits and they don’t and I’m only 29.

85 Evan February 8, 2012 at 1:58 am

You forgot a styptic pencil

86 Don February 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

1. Preshave oil/shaving cream/aftershave balm
2. Toothbrush
3. Marvis Toothpaste
4. Badger hair shaving brush
5. Deodorant
6. Shampoo
7. Body Wash
8. A small stand for the shaving brush (we have to let it dry the right way)
9. Mouth Wash
10. Safety Razor
11. Floss
12. $20 bill

pack it right and keep stuff small and it is amazing how much you can fit in one of these.

87 Don February 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm

@Andrea…I know what you mean. I was a teenager and was gathering all of my soap and shaving stuff to go on a trip with some friends. My dad simply yelled (not in anger) in the bathroom and said “you need to get a small bag and get a second set of your toiletries for trips, that way you can grab and go…a dopp kit”. As soon as I got back I was at Walmart putting together my first kit. But yeah, my introduction was simple…are fathers not even doing that much today?

88 Deep Think February 12, 2012 at 9:36 am

Lens cleaner for glasses, linen cloth.

89 Tyler W Bardwell February 12, 2012 at 4:16 pm

The idea behind the Dopp Kit is simple, pre-pack this thing with ALL the stuff that you find essential to daily life. The REASON behind the Dopp Kit is ironic because the reason itself is overlooked just like its contents. The items found in a dopp kit are so automatic in our lives that they are the things we most often forget to pack. This is why you pack away a Dopp Kit and leave it packed safely away for when traveling. This way, instead of tying to remember 15-35 different small items, you need only remember ONE.

Pack it how you need it packed, and do not unpack it ever! (obviously prescription medication and consumable aside)

90 Evans February 14, 2012 at 7:55 am

I’ve had a Dopp Kit since traveling by myself in my mid-teens. Just the essential toiletries.

Soap
travel shaving cream
disposable razor
Travel-sized deo
small cologne
folding toothbrush
travel toothpaste
travel lotion
comb
travel wipes
travel pack q-tips

Now that I’m married a few things were added…

2nd folding toothbrush
condoms
lube
ladies travel deo
1 sanitary napkin
small hair brush

yup, same small Dopp bag and we both use it.

first aid stuff? leatherman? sewing kit? Not in the Dopp bag. Dopp is only what is needed to stay clean and maintain hygeine. The other stuff is covered by grabbing the correct size duffel or daypack (depending on type of travel) and dropping in a first aid kit (1 of 3 different sizes), and walking along the shelf adding whatever is needed for that particular trip… leatherman, knife, hatchet, handgun w/mags, pre-packaged spare batteries, GPS, whichever light(s) are needed for that trip, emergency rations (energy bar or up to fullblown MRE), water (nalgene or 3 liter bladder), . Drop the Dopp bag in on top and DONE.

91 Pat February 14, 2012 at 10:09 am

I’m often on my feet while traveling on business so I pack moleskin padding for my heels and an icy hot back patch.

92 Bill December 4, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I’m an airline pilot for an International cargo airline. I’ve been living half my life out of my luggage for 12 years now. I’ve got this mastered. First and foremost. DO NOT BUY CHEAP LUGGAGE if you travel a lot. The best place to purchase luggage is from a dealer that caters to pilots/flight attendants. I recommend luggageworksonline.com or crewgear.com

Regarding the Dopp Kit. I have a Bosca leather dopp that I’ve been using for 10 years. The leather has worn and faded into a beautiful condition. It contains:

-Manual Oral-B Toothbrush
-Medium size toothpaste tube
-Travel bottle of Listerine
-Travel size Mach Three razor from Taylor of Old Bond Street with a pack of cartridges.
-Small bottle of Trumper’s Skin Food
-Travel tube of Trumper’s Shave Cream
-Travel Silvertip badger shave brush in tube.
-Nail clippers
-Travel size tweezers
-Plastic travel pack of Q-tips
-small styptic pencil (I’m a bleeder depending on the softness of the water).
-Full tube of Mitchum deodorant
-horn comb in travel sleeve (see classic shaving.com)
-2 or 3 condoms (hey, you never know)

The travel size bottles I use over and over. I just refill them from the larger bottles of mouthwash, etc. when I get home. I also recommend taking those sewing kits when you’re at a hotel. I’ve used them several times to repair my uniform shirt/pants. I keep a credit card and $20-$50 in my pilot case, separate from my wallet in case I get rolled in Shanghai or Sau Paulo. My philosophy is to travel light but to have the minimum you would need to get ready for a date with an attractive woman if you were home.

93 Bill J January 10, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Size and practicality is everything in my kit. Dr. Bronner’s magic soap in a small container can be a shampoo, body soap and even toothpaste in a pinch ( peppermint is great).Ball point pens with a pen light in the end are now powerful night lights in a hotel room or a tent.If it’s only a few nights, Bic makes a razor with the shaving cream in the handle.

94 Ryan January 23, 2013 at 10:21 am

I know everyone is different, but my kit has to have some groom & clean(hair stuff) and some matches or other form of air freshener :-) I leave the shampoo behind in favor of G&C and I also go with small bills and quarters.

95 Gary January 23, 2013 at 10:44 am

When the tooth paste or tube of shave cream gets about half full, it goes into my DOPP kit. That way it takes less room.

A phone card is useful for making long distance calls on the road.

Condoms for sure.

96 Warrior Dad January 23, 2013 at 11:58 am

I like the list but agree on adding:

Gold bond.
Leatherman… swiss army so ’80′s 8-)
Condoms… be optimistic.

The sewing kit maybe if you’re a frequent traveler.

97 savoy6 January 23, 2013 at 1:45 pm

found one in the rafters of my garage with Solomon Islands souvenirs,Japanese ww2 ammo and Japanese teeth…..but that’s another packing story..lol..

98 ChiliMac February 3, 2013 at 12:51 am

2 questions:

1) How do you keep your kit clean? Mine has residue from toothpaste, powder and what not and I cannot seem to get it off.

2) How to do you pack your razor so you don’t get cut by the blades when reaching in?

99 Jordan March 12, 2013 at 4:06 am

Is it a toilet bag or survival kit :)

I have two dopp kits, one for carry-on, up for 3 days. The second one is for 7-10 days.
I’m an Art of Shaving fan so I’m using their travel kits (oil, shaving cream, after shave, small badger brush). Their starter kit is enough for 3 days.
Other than that, Fusion razor, small bottle of my own shampoo, antiperspirant, few cotton swabs, toothpaste and toothbrush. Few aspirins and band aid are also there.

A sewing kit is a good idea, but I never missed it. Shoe sponge isn’t part of my dopp kit, but I never travel without it.

Nivea 3 in 1 is a great product, for somebody who doesn’t have very sensitive skin as I do.

100 Retro October 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Since a dopp kit typically goes straight into a bathroom/shower stall, I do not put any oral meds (i.e. pills), paper money, or other things I don’t want absorbing moisture or getting wet. In fact, I keep one or two swatches of cotton (from an old t-shirt) inside my kit to soak up moisture/wipe water off items before I put them back in the kit. Concealing moisture with toiletries leads to bacterial growth, which is the enemy of good hygiene!

And I would love to pack my safety razor on trips, but the potential security hassle + extra weight mean I settle on a disposable (which means needing to pack good shaving oil and aftershave lotion.)