Announcing the Re-Launch of the AoM Barbershop Locator

by Brett on November 11, 2011 · 29 comments

in Blog

A couple of years ago I started a custom Google Map that allowed people to find and add their favorite barbershops from all over the world, so that their fellow AoMers could check them out too. We called it the Art of Manliness Barbershop Locator.

It was one of our most popular features on the site and helped thousands of men rediscover the barbershop.

But the Barbershop Locator wasn’t very user-friendly. Searching for a shop in your area was impossible. You just had to keep zooming in on the map in the area you wanted to find a shop. And don’t get me started on adding barbershops. People couldn’t figure out how to add them, and if they did figure it out, the shop sometimes didn’t show up or showed up multiple times; it was a big headache for users and for me. We even had people add things that weren’t barbershops at all, like Chuck E. Cheeses and strip joints. I have no idea how to explain that combo.

Suffice it to say that the Barbershop Locator was such a dysfunctional mess that I took it down a few months ago. During that time I got in contact with Tulsa web developer, Adam Brown, to help me improve the Barbershop Locator. He didn’t disappoint.

Today, I’m proud to announce the re-launch of the new and improved AoM Barbershop Locator!

The New AoM Barbershop Locator: A Tour

We’ve maintained all the barbershops that we’ve collected over the years. Finding and adding a shop is just easier now.

Finding a Barbershop

Finding where to get a clean shave and a sharp cut has never been easier. The new AoM Barbershop Locator is geolocation enabled so that it will immediately show on the map shops within a 10 mile radius of your current location.

If you want to expand your search, just enter an address, the radius you’re willing to travel for a haircut and a shave, and hit enter. The barbershops will be displayed on the map as well as in a list below the map.

Click a barber pole icon for more info about the shop.

To get directions to the shop, simply click “Directions.” A new tab will open up in your browser and give you Google Map directions to the shop from your current location.

Adding a Barber Shop

Know about a manly barbershop that’s not in our locator yet? Help your AoM brethren by sharing it with them. Just click “Add Barber Shop” and fill in the information. Not all the information is required, but at least give us the name and address. Submissions won’t show up until we approve them. This is to prevent the random Chuck E. Cheese and strip bar problem we had in the old locator.

Reviewing Barbershops

After you visit the shop, let others know about your experience by giving it a review. Simply provide your name, a 1-5 star ranking, and a few comments about the shop.

Helping Us with Quality Control

If you see that a barbershop has incorrect information, like an address or the hours of operation, click “Report” to send us an email with the problem you’ve found, along with the corrections.

Rediscover the Barbershop Today

Well, that’s the tour. I hope you all find the new and improved AoM Barbershop Locator useful. It’s completely FREE by the way. We made it for you guys to use and enjoy and to do our part in helping to bring back the manly barbershop tradition. We’ll continue to make improvements to it so that you have the best experience possible. Now, what are you waiting for? Go find yourself a barbershop and treat yourself to a straight razor shave.

1 TTFK November 11, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Can’t add any shops. Get this:

array(14) { ["sl_store"]=> string(19) “Vito\’s Barber Shop” ["sl_address"]=> string(13) “654 Page Blvd” ["sl_address2"]=> string(0) “” ["sl_city"]=> string(11) “Springfield” ["sl_state"]=> string(2) “MA” ["sl_zip"]=> string(5) “01104″ ["sl_country"]=> string(0) “” ["sl_description"]=> string(140) “Vito is an old-school Italian barber who has been at it since 1974. This is an especially good place to relax if you enjoy talking Soccer. ” ["sl_tags"]=> string(0) “” ["sl_url"]=> string(31) “http://www.vitosbarbershop.com/” ["sl_email"]=> string(0) “” ["sl_hours"]=> string(37) “Tues-Fri 8:00-5:30 Saturday 7:30-4:00″ ["sl_phone"]=> string(12) “413-734-5405″ ["sl_image"]=> string(0) “” }

2 STW November 11, 2011 at 6:01 pm

One of the downsides to living in Montana is that cosmetologists have been able to outlaw barbershop shaves. You can’t even get a razor edge to a hair cut. Apparently, the ladies were not comfortable with a straight edge and, since cosmetologists and barbers fall under the same licensing, got razors banned.

3 Matt Brandon November 11, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I love this idea. I live and travel abroad (I am a travel photographer) to some unique places, to put it mildly. I have several fun, classic barber shops I would like to add to this list. Maybe I didn’t try hard enough, but I can’t see how to add a barber without having a street address. Many of the barbers I have used don’t even have signboards let alone a proper street address. It would be great to be able to zoom in and drop a barber pole at a particular location. Oh, an how about an iPhone add?!

4 Nathan T Jeung November 11, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Any chance for an AoM tailor locator? Because, you know… that would be kind of awesome too. :D

5 Matthew November 11, 2011 at 8:03 pm

What an awesome feature! It looks like there’s a barber shop here in town… I might have to go check them out and see what a barber shave is like.

Have to admit, an AoM tailor would be pretty awesome too. :D

6 Charlie November 11, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I received a similar error message to TTFK’s when I tried to add a barber shop.

array(14) { ["sl_store"]=> string(18) “Joe\’s Barber Shop” ["sl_address"]=> string(16) “337 Delaware Ave” ["sl_address2"]=> string(0) “” ["sl_city"]=> string(6) “Delmar” ["sl_state"]=> string(2) “NY” ["sl_zip"]=> string(5) “12054″ ["sl_country"]=> string(24) “United States of America” ["sl_description"]=> string(119) “Joe\’s Barber Shop is a clean, quick, friendly, convenient and affordable place to go for men’s and boy’s haircuts.” ["sl_tags"]=> string(0) “” ["sl_url"]=> string(0) “” ["sl_email"]=> string(19) “jfb123147@yahoo.com” ["sl_hours"]=> string(85) “Tuesday through Friday from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. and Saturday from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m.” ["sl_phone"]=> string(14) “(518) 439-9814″ ["sl_image"]=> string(0) “” }

Also, I think a tailor locator is a fantastic idea! What do you say, Brett?

7 Brett McKay November 12, 2011 at 12:29 am

So, as you’ve probably seen, we’ve ran into a bug. For some reason people are getting error messages when they add a barbershop. No, worries. We got your shop and it is in the database, you’re just getting weird giberish after you hit submit.

Searching for barbershops works just fine.

We hope to have this cleared up by tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.

8 Daren Redekopp November 12, 2011 at 8:11 am

I just tried it, and it pointed me to an old Italian barbershop of which I was previously unaware. This could be very good indeed…

9 Robyn November 12, 2011 at 8:33 am

When I was traveling in India with my sister we stopped at a barbershop and my sister the photographer took pictures of a man getting shaved. They were more than happy to oblige. The barbershop was nothing more than the barber sitting along the road with a straight edge and a pan of water with some towels. His customer sat on the ground while the barber stooped in front of him and gave him a shave. I don’t remember where it was so sorry I can’t add it to your database!

10 Kenneth Johnston November 12, 2011 at 9:40 am

why stop with tailor lol. You could have a haberdasher, cobbler, the whole manly kit.

11 A Rafael Torres November 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I second Nathan’s question. That would also be great to have. Maybe using the barbershop system as well.

12 Brian November 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm

How about creating an app?

13 Brian November 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm

How about creating an app for smartphones?

14 Marcus November 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Heimie’s Haberdashery
400 St. Peter
St.Paul, MN 55102
651-224-2354
Classic Haircut $25. Receive the cleanest haircut while you relax in our men’s sanctuary.
Ultimate Cut $28. This service includes a shampoo, haircut, neck shave, and steamed towel application.
Classic Shave $28. The single blade straight razor shave you’ve been looking for.
Beard Trim $10. Get your face in order. Shape and style your beard to complement your facial contours.
Mustache Trim $10. Get your handlebars straightened up. Have your mustache shaped and styled.
Heimie’s Haberdashery carries an impressive variety of cigars in our humidor. There is the right cigar for the discerning individual. The joy of finding that perfect cigar is part of the journey. We invite you to come in and enjoy a cigar out front of our store under the awning and take in an hour of relaxation.

15 Marcus November 12, 2011 at 5:11 pm

This was the only way I could figure out how to add a barber. I would have done it another way but I don’t do well with computers. I know it’s pathetic. And since I only have 1/8-inch of hair I won’t be getting a haircut there. I also have a beard that I’m planning to shave off in March in favor of a flavor saver. Since I won’t be able to review Heimie’s until then I thought I add a few from Yelp.
Yes, a very classy place with old-fashioned accoutrements – I felt like I walked into a shop of the 1880′s – and an in-house barber shop. The prices at the barber shop, at least, were very reasonable. I had a thorough haircut, accompanied by a live sax player softly playing in the background, I’m totally serious, for $18. I like the great hats, reminded me a bit of the beautiful Borsalino hats in Milan!
A haircut and beard shave here is the male equivalent of going to the spa for the day. Mine took over an hour, cost $43, and included everything I love- neck shave, face massage, and plenty of hot towels. Not to mention I look and feel great. I can’t wait until next time.

Rumor has it you can get a custom tailored suit for $500 as well. That’s a steal for the quality you get here.
Part of me doesn’t believe that a place like this still exists.
In the day of large department stores and H&M mass produced foreign made crap, there is still a mens furnishings store, where you can sit in a big chair, and have your face shaved buy a guy in a 3 piece suit, complete with watch fob and handlebar mustache.
Why pay over 100 bucks for a shirt your buddies will undoubtedly own no matter where in the US they live when you can spend less (sometimes) on QUALITY? Hats, shoes, watches, ties, socks, suits, links (not sausage) you name it, it is here. This place rocks. Your grandfather would be proud.
High-end services, indeed. I visited Heimie’s recently to purchase my first well-made suit, and the process was a delight. The store can perhaps be intimidating at first, but the staff is quick to attend to customers and walk them through the fitting process. Heimie’s carries everything one might need to add to or even reinvent their style, from the gaudy to the traditional. For men who are looking for quality goods and excellent service, Heimie’s is truly a special destination. I would suggest that visitors be mindful of which salesmen they work with. It’s clear that there are excellent staff and staff members who are merely “pretty okay.” Luckily, when the gentlemen working with me recognized he was in over his head, he brought in another salesman who was able to keep the process going. Finally, don’t forget that there is no sales tax on clothing in Minnesota, which is significant if you plan to spend in the neighborhood of $1000 on a new suit.

Even Norwegian King Harald V shops at Heimie’s.

16 Eric Pierson November 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm

OK, I must be achieving some sort of epic fail because I can’t even find an “Add a Barber Shop” button to add my favorite barbershop.

17 Erin November 13, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Used it to find one for my “art of manliness” devoted 15-year old son…thanks!

18 Calvin November 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I am using Google Chrome version 15.0.874.106 m, and I was trying to add a barber shop for a location in Saskatchewan Canada. When I filled out the info, I clicked the “add location” button, and nothing happened. The button didn’t appear to respond to the click, nada. Is this just a cosmetic problem or is it indeed not working? If it is just a cosmetic problem, then it would help to give some feedback after clicking the button to allow the user to know that the information has been sent.

19 Eddie November 14, 2011 at 9:01 am

fail…Tried search and it returned nothing even at 500 mile radius. Tried to add barber, filled in the form, hit the button, nothing happened.

20 Dave at Dave's Barber November 14, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Tried to add the shop and it won’t even let me submit the info.

21 Chris November 14, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Using my macbook. Unable to select the “Add Location” button after I filled out all the information.

22 Sameer Vasta November 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm

This is great! Only problem: it won’t led me add a review to any barbershops. (Also, the “read reviews” option doesn’t seem to work either.)

Tried on a Mac, PC, and using four different browsers. Still no dice.

23 Mike November 16, 2011 at 8:09 pm

This is just what I needed. I just moved moved and was looking for a barbershop, so this was right on time. I never thought I’d get a hit for Sierra Vista, but low and behold, two people have pointed out the same one. That’s enough for me to give it a go.

24 Clyde November 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Better off just going to a search engine.

25 Calvin November 19, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Huh, it would appear that in-spite of the lack of feedback from the “add location” button my barbershop submission was actually submitted.

26 Alister November 21, 2011 at 8:51 pm

This is an amazing idea, especially if it works. I’ve just taken up an apprenticeship at a barber shop in Brisbane Australia (details to come), we do proper shaves and all that awesome stuff, we’ve just won barber shop of the year for the third year running and have some of the most talented young barbers I’ve ever seen. If you’re in Brisbane and want a cut and shave, pop down to Garden City Westfield, the shop is named TMH.

27 Alister November 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm

28 Curt November 23, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I cannot wait to try it. I am trying to find a good barber here in SLC. I look forward to it being back up and running.

29 John December 6, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Thank you so much, my Dad always took me to the barber when I was a kid. His name was Mr. Elee, and he always had a story for us. Haven’t had a decent haircut since he passed away. It was a shame he was such a heavy smoker…..