Do you hear that? Listen closely.
It’s the sound of your un-grown mustache beneath the surface of your skin whispering “Grow me! And together we’ll destroy prostate cancer!”
Yes, gentlemen. Movember  is once again upon us.
For those of you who are new to the site, every November AoM takes part in an annual, month long fundraiser called Movember . Started in 2003, Movember is an annual, global, month-long celebration of the mustache that highlights men’s health issues–specifically prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and male depression. During the month of November, men grow a mustache and raise funds for charities like the Prostate Cancer Foundation and the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LIVESTRONG).
We’re going to be celebrating Movember here on the Art of Manliness website by inviting readers to grow a mo during the month of November. Last year the AoM Movember team raised over $30,000! I think we can double that this year. Ready to join us in the fight against prostate cancer? Here’s what to do.
How Movember Works:
1. Awesomely manly Aussie and Movember veteran Shaun Daws  has started an Art of Manliness team on the Movember site.  As team captain, he’ll be keeping an eye on the leader board and encouraging you along.
To join the Art of Manliness team, you must register on the Movember site. You must register as a “team member” so we can keep track of your progress. You can register for the AoM Movember team by clicking on one of the following links depending on where you live.
- Art Of Manliness – USA 
- Art Of Manliness – Australia 
- Art Of Manliness – Canada 
- Art Of Manliness – UK 
2. On November 1, you must start out clean shaven. You will then commence the growing of your beautiful, hairy mustache masterpiece. You cannot shave your mo until Nov. 30, and you must adhere to the following grooming rules:
- There is to be no joining of the Mo at the sideburns–that’s a beard.
- There is to be no joining of the handlebars at the chin–that’s a goatee.
- A small complimentary growth under the chin is allowed (aka The Tickler).
3. During the month, hit up friends and family to sponsor your mustache-growing and donate to the cause. Raise as much money as you can! Basically this is like a walkathon, but instead of getting people to sponsor you for doing laps in a windsuit, you get people to sponsor the growing of your manly mustache. It will be hard to restrain your friends and family from donating.
4. Shaun has created a Movember Group  in the Art of Manliness Community. Join the group and encourage your brothers. Shaun will be posting news, pictures, and updates, and you should do likewise. Let everyone see how your stache is progressing!
5. If you don’t have the cojones to grow a mustache (or if you don’t have cojones, period) you can still donate to the AoM Movember Team.  Ditto for those who, like me, already have an awesome mustache, and don’t want to shave it off.
Men, this is your big chance to grow the mustache you’ve always dreamed of having but been too scared to attempt. The beauty of Movember is that during the early growing stage, the stage where the newly formed mustache’s appearance is so unsightly that men give up and shave, you have a ready and worthy excuse for why you look sort of skeevy. People will not only abstain from laughing at you, men will pat you on the back and women will kiss you with joy. Then, at the end of the month, when the awesomeness of your stache is in full bloom, people will be in such awe of your cookie duster that they will beg you not to shave it off. It’s win-win here, folks.
Speaking of winning, finally having the manly mustache of your dreams is not the only prize. The Art of Manliness team member who raises the most money will be richly rewarded for the effort with some awesomely manly booty:
Saddleback Leather Company Dopp Kit + Straight Razor Shaving Gear
The AoM Movember Team Member* who raises the most money will receive a handsome coffee brown, small-sized Saddleback Leather Dopp Kit.  A big thank you to the Saddleback Leather Company  for kindly donating this handsome travel case!
This is a great prize in and of itself. But that’s not all. Packed inside this uber-manly dopp kit will be everything you need to get started with straight razor shaving as well as gear to help you take care of your new mustache. Here’s what’s included in the travel case:
A Dovo 6/8″ Half Hollow Best Quality Straight Razor
Leather and Canvas Sharpening Strop from Straight Razor Designs
A Badger Hair Shaving Brush from Art of Shaving
Sandalwood Shaving Cream from Art of Shaving
Tweezerman Mustache Grooming Kit
Col. Conk Moustache Wax
A Signed Copy of the Art of Manliness Manvotionals: Timeless Wisdom and Advice on Living the Seven Manly Virtues 
One awesome bag of manliness!
So get those mustaches growing men! Do it for the cause! Do it for the prize-packed travel case! Do it for the chance to finally grow the mustache of your dreams!
*Unfortunately, this year only US residents are eligible to win the AoM contest prize. As we’ve gotten bigger, we’ve received a lot more scrutiny from The Man. One area where we’ve gotten the stink eye are contests. Every country has different rules, requirements, and fees for online contests. Complying with the myriad of laws and regulations is time-consuming and expensive. We’ve been blissfully unaware of these different rules for the past few years, but the powers-that-be have corrected our ignorance. Right now we just don’t have the resources to hold international contests. Quite sorry about that.
I hope this doesn’t discourage international readers from taking part in the Movember cause. Remember, the main goal is to raise money for men’s health research and to grow a wicked mustache! So everybody join in!
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES (D.C.) 18 YEARS AND OLDER. ENDS 12/9/11. TO ENTER AND FOR OFFICIAL RULES, INCLUDING ODDS AND PRIZE DESCRIPTIONS, VISIT HERE . VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.