Check Out the Manvotionals Book Trailer!

by Brett & Kate McKay on June 8, 2011 · 15 comments

in A Man's Life, Manvotionals

Nowadays, authors sometimes create “book trailers,” which are just like movie trailers, but, well, for books. They’re designed to help get the word out about the book, get people excited, and give people a head’s up about what’s coming. So we created a book trailer for our new book that’s coming out in the fall: Manvotionals: Timeless Wisdom and Advice on Living the 7 Manly Virtues. We’d love for you to watch the trailer and to share it with your friends!

The book is, in our humble opinion, amazingly awesome. During the editing process for a book, you read over the manuscript five or six times, at least we do, and even if it’s a great book, like our first one, you start to get pretty tired of reading the same thing over and over. But I honestly have not gotten sick of reading this book and love diving into it again and again.

We’ll be giving you more details and doing some promotions for the book in the next few months as we get ready for the release. If you’re already excited–and who can blame you!–you can pre-order the book from Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.

Trailer made by Jacob Hinmon from Four+One Productions. Thanks Jake!

1 PaulW June 8, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Will there be a kindl/e-book version?

2 Phil E. June 8, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I’ve been wondering something since I stumbled across this site over a year ago. I didn’t want to ask until seeing that you have a book coming out. So now I’ll ask, because I have a strange reverence for books. Whose book is this, Brett’s or Kay’s? Please don’t say both. In my own life I’ve noted that every thing coming out of the household is a joint effort. But I’ve also noted that projects which started out as mine ended up bearing more of my wife’s hallmarks than my own. Other times, something that I thought was my thoughts initially, years later were revealed to be counter to my interests, yet perfectly aligned to my wife’s, and a detriment to me. I just wonder when brett is communicating, and when kay is doing the writing. Brett sometimes speaks about his wife, but I don’t recall Kay doing the same. I assume she does write, since her name is linked. I just want to know when which of the two is writing. I think it’s reasonable. I hope I don’t offend by asking

3 Andrew June 9, 2011 at 12:15 am

Can’t wait! Great follow up to the first book.

4 Brett McKay June 9, 2011 at 1:23 am

No, Phil, you don’t offend by asking, although you do offend by having read the site for a year and still not knowing Kate’s name.

And yes, the book is decidedly a joint effort, and yes the book is indeed both of ours. The book is a collection of excerpts from books, letters, speeches, etc. We both did a ton of research looking for the best selections in history. We would collect things we thought were good, and then exchange what we had found, mark those we liked, and then discuss which were the very best and should be included in the book. I wrote the introduction to the book, and the introductions to each of the chapters. Kate edited and improved them.

When it comes to writing on the site, whoever has been researching and thinking more about a topic starts the article. She may write more of it or I may write more of it. Then we give it to the other person and they edit it and add their thoughts. So for example with today’s post about opening doors, I wrote the whole thing and then Kate looked at it, and revised the intro because mine was clunky. And then she recommended adding a paragraph explaining why the tradition should continue at all. So then I got back in and added that paragraph and then she looked at it again and edited and proofread it. And then I read it over again. And that’s how it generally goes.

I write about my relationship with Kate, but not vice versa because it’s a blog for men, and it wouldn’t make sense the other way around. That’s also why I’m generally the “voice” of posts and the final editor, as I always ensure things are from a man’s perspective.

So Phil, I cannot tell you when I am writing or Kate is writing, unless you’d like a word by word, sentence by sentence breakdown with each post.

I’m sorry your experience in being a team with your wife seems to have dissatisfied you, but I’ve had the opposite experience myself.

5 Brett McKay June 9, 2011 at 1:25 am

@Paul-

Yes, there will be an ebook version. Although with how the book is designed and illustrated, it’s one I would really recommend buying in the print version.

6 Mato Tope June 9, 2011 at 3:22 am

Looks great. I’ll buy it.

7 Erik June 9, 2011 at 6:01 am

Well I know what I’m asking for, for my next birthday! Great idea.

8 Erik June 9, 2011 at 6:07 am

By the by, I’ve recently started forwarding some of your articles to my wife. I think the Art of Manliness is as pertinent to our women – especially if you are in a relationship – as to ourselves.

A column about women’s experiences of men or Manliness would not be amiss on AoM – and Kate, you would be pretty much an expert on that – but perhaps that’s for another blog.

Keep up the inspirational work.

9 Mak June 9, 2011 at 6:59 am

When the kindle version will be available for pre-order on amazon?

Congrats for the noble work!

10 Andrew June 9, 2011 at 9:11 am

Awesome!

11 Sonny June 9, 2011 at 1:14 pm

What song is that in the video?

12 vince June 10, 2011 at 7:19 am

When this comes out I will be buying two copies of each of your books, one for myself and one for my younger brother, who is in need of some sage advice and a subtle hint about what it means to be a man.
You Brett, are an inspiration, you have put into words what I’ve been thinking for years, you’ve given us men who still want to be manly a voice and a focus point, keep up the good work.

13 Aaron Nelson June 11, 2011 at 4:19 am

Brett & Kate,
Did you categorize manly virtues with these seven titles or did someone else create these categories before you two?

Thank You.

14 Curt June 12, 2011 at 11:31 am

Great trailer!

15 Shannon June 13, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Love the first book and looking forward to the next one!
For “man-sake” your wife should write a book on “the art of wo-manliness”, I think all the single guys on this site would echo that thought.
I agree that we should all buy the print version of the book, of course that is my unbiased “book printer in Minnesota” opinion! Say no to ebooks…. :)
Thanks to you and your wife,
Shannon