5 Items to Snap You Out of Your Daily Commuting Routine

by Brett & Kate McKay on March 22, 2011 · 565 comments

in Blog

This content is brought to you by the new Hyundai Elantra which helps you “Snap Out” of your routine to live your best life.  Click here to learn more about the new 2011 Elantra. What’s this?

It’s Monday morning. Another work week has begun. You’ve finished your manly morning ritual without breaking a sweat. “Maybe this week won’t be so bad after all?” you think.

You hop in the car or head towards the subway or bus stop. Your high hopes quickly turn into despair as you encounter traffic jams, rude subway passengers, and the monotony of sitting in a car, train, or bus for an hour or more just so you can get to work.

Commuting is no fun. It’s a routine that millions of men must battle each day. We want to help you make this annoying, yet necessary routine a bit more bearable. So here are five things that can help you snap out of your daily commuting routine.

Stanley Thermos

Instead of stopping at the coffee shop on your way to work for a $5 cup of joe, brew the perfect cup of coffee at home and take it with you in this Stanley thermos. You’ll save money and time with this handsome looking thermos. Stanley thermoses are solidly constructed, so they can take years of beating and abuse on your daily commute or on a weekend camping trip with the boys and still keep your coffee piping hot. Stanley thermoses are guaranteed for life!

Price: $25

Saddleback Briefcase

A man needs a bag to carry his stuff from home to work. But not just any bag. A man needs a bag that puts a little pep in his step simply from looking at it. A bag that makes him feel like he’s headed out on an adventure each day. A rugged, manly, handsome bag that provides the smell of leather as he drives to work.

The Saddleback Leather Company Briefcase fits this bill.

Made of 100% full grain boot leather, the Saddleback bag will protect your delicate electronic gizmos from the nastiest of elements. The outside of the bag comes with plenty of D-rings to attach umbrellas, water bottles, or the buffalo skull you happened to find on the way to work. It has plenty of pockets so you can transport important work documents. You’ll be the envy of all your co-workers as you pass their cubicles with this bad boy on your shoulder.

And all Saddleback products are guaranteed for 100 years, so you can pass your briefcase on to your grandson when he begins his new career.

Price: $550

Great Courses Audio Lectures

If you’re like most people who commute, you probably just listen to the crappy morning local radio show or whatever is on your iPod. Nothing really uplifting or edifying about any of those options. They basically just provide background noise to help pass the time.

Instead of listening to the morning DJ make fart noises, grow your mind, intellect, and understanding of the world by listening to lectures from some of the best university professors in the United States. The Great Courses Company offers hundreds of college level courses from a variety of disciplines that you can listen to during your commute to work. Courses are made up of several lectures and each lecture is about 30 minutes long, or the average commute time. If you listen to just two lectures a day–one on the commute to work and one on the way home–you can finish the longest course in just a few weeks.

Check out the Great Courses website to see their course offerings. You’ll be blown away. One week you can learn about quantum mechanics and the next week you can delve into the history of Greece. My favorite courses are from my old Classics professor, J. Rufus Fears. His Famous Romans and Famous Greeks courses are a must-listen. You’ll learn about great men like Alexander the Great and Socrates. Right now, I’m listening to his Life Lessons from the Great Books and am feeling inspired after each lecture.

Price: $200-$85 depending on the course and whether you download the MP3 or buy the CDs.

Standing Valet

A stress-free commute to work begins before you get in the car. If you don’t time your departure just right, you can end up inching towards downtown in traffic that’s backed up for miles.  To ensure you walk out the door on time (and don’t have to come back to retrieve something you forgot!), consider incorporating a standing valet into your daily routine. A standing valet is like having your own personal “silent butler.” It has a hanger for your suit coat, a pant bar, a tie and coat hanger, as well as compartments so you can store your wallet, keys, phone, and other manly accouterments.

The night before, you can lay out everything you’ll need the next morning in this easy to access space. Instead of rushing around in the morning looking for a tie that matches your suit  along with your lost car keys, the standing valet will help you get out the door on time so you miss the morning rush hour traffic. Like a boss!

Price: $100

Dragnet Radio Show Collection

I’m all for taking advantage of our commute time to expand our minds, but sometimes after a long day’s work, you just want to listen to something relaxing and enjoyable. How about passing the time with Sergeant Joe Friday while he solves crimes on the mean streets of L.A.?

Before Dragnet was an awesomely manly cop TV show, it was an awesomely manly cop radio show. And thanks to the wonders of technology, you can enjoy this groundbreaking 1940s radio show while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. You can find many old Dragnet radio episodes online for free, but they’re scattered all over the place and the quality is often crappy. If you want the entire series remastered for the best listening experience, pick up the CD collection.

I’ve listened to a bunch of different old time radio shows, and Dragnet is definitely my favorite.

Price: $6

Win a Stanley Thermos

Hyundai will be giving away a Stanley Thermos to one lucky AoM reader, so he can start snapping himself out of his daily commuting routine. Here’s how to enter the sweepstakes:

Leave a comment sharing what sort of tools or methods you use to snap yourself out of your daily commuting routine.

Deadline to enter is March 27, 2011 at 12:00 pm CST.

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.  LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES (D.C.) 18 YEARS AND OLDER.  ENDS 3/27/11.  TO ENTER AND FOR OFFICIAL RULES, INCLUDING ODDS AND PRIZE DESCRIPTIONS, VISIT HERE.  VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
201 Aaron M. March 22, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I use either audiobooks on my iPod, or download lectures from the iTunes U section of iTunes. I tend to zone out less if I’m learning something new on the way in to work.

202 Chris March 22, 2011 at 5:31 pm

With a 45 minute drive each way as a Library Manager, I listen to Books on CD. In particular, I listen to books that I would not choose to read otherwise but feel a need to read either for porfessional reasons or in order to better serve my patrons and help them find their next great read.

203 Chris March 22, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I recently picked up a great travel mug to make it easy and non-messy to travel with coffee. The big Thermos would be great for refills.

204 Justin Isbell March 22, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I listen to audio books and I also try to maximize my car’s fuel efficiency. On the weekend I tweak my car, using different plugs from time to time or trying to lighten my car. Each week I drive 60mi a day and I test to see how good my fuel efficiency is. It doesn’t specifically make commuting better but it makes it more interesting because I try to drive as smoothly as possible and keep my cruise going for as long as possible.

205 Benjamin March 22, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I spice up my morning commute with a little bit of bluegrass.

206 Mark P. March 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Turn on the local classical music station and observe some of the common sights of an everyday drive: cars buzzing down the highway; a flock of birds flying overhead; children hopping aboard a school bus. Everything appears different with classical music playing. I am no expert on it, but I do know that everything looks more poetic with it playing in the background.

207 Robert James Kobus March 22, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Exactly, what I was thinking.

208 Aaron March 22, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I vary my morning cup of tea. Irish Breakfast today, Dragonwell green tomorrow, Lapsang the next day. A thermos would be a great way to brew one big pot in the morning and keep it hot all day.

209 Jonathan Welden March 22, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I love using my AG-7 spacepen to write with daily…it reminds of the time of the moon landing and the technology available at that time…very relaxing to me!

210 Steven Jarvis March 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm

The top drawer of my chest of drawers is very shallow (about 2 inches). I have it lined with that rubbery stuff you put in kitchen drawers and have a power cord to charge my iPhone run into it. So, I lay my phone, wallet, keys, and pocket knife plus a small change bowl out neatly, so that once I get dressed (all laid out the night before in my walk-in closet), I can go gear up on the way out of the bedroom. The night before, I update my iPhone with new podcasts, and I alternate between listening to podcasts and listening to NPR on my 22-24 minute commute. I’ve vowed to quit drinking $5 coffee, but haven’t settled on a coffee-transportation device yet. I’ve had my eye on that Stanley thermos for a while, though.

211 Alex March 22, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Some days I ride my bike rather than drive.

212 Dylan March 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm

All I need is my iPod.

213 Clockwork March 22, 2011 at 6:55 pm

NPR and sports talk radio is all I need for my commute….Also, I’m not sure if anyone else is getting a bit tired of Saddleback Leather being marketed on this site. How can a bag add to your commute?

214 johnmc March 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm

To be fair, a vacuum bottle (which is what this Stanley branded vessel is, rather then the brand mentioned) won’t replace a $5 cup of coffee, but rather a $2 one.

215 Glen March 22, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Bluetooth phone adapter. I use it to safely catch up with family on my 140 mile commute.

216 Nate Desmond March 22, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I snap out by bicycling to work.

217 Nick March 22, 2011 at 7:29 pm

To be fair, I don’t really commute so much as take a 10 minute bus ride. I would, however, like to say that my father used the very same type of thermos pictured above every day for about a decade. It took years of abuse on the construction site, and now that he’s retired, I travels with me to and from college. You really can’t kill a good thermos.

218 Rolando Corsa March 22, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Pandora radio on my droid does the trick!

219 Eddie March 22, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I love audio books, but only listen to them occasionally — sort of as a treat while commuting (listening to NPR is my other guilty pleasure).

Most of the time, I use my commute as my meditation time. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but it’s the only real “me” time I have (between work and family). All I’m thinking about is the commute — not work, not home, not chores, not politics, not sports, not current events… nothing but the drive itself. Helps me clear my mind for the day ahead and decompress after a day of work.

220 Robbie March 22, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I try to take different routes to school/work at least once a week. Sometimes this means that I must leave a little bit earlier, but I feel that the change of scenery and what it does to my mood is well worth it.

221 Dustin Saunders March 22, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I use a thermos to save money and to get an especially delicious homebrewed cup of coffee, also a good straight razor shave in the morning always brightens my day!

222 Matt Wilson March 22, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Always make sure that your iPod has your up to date podcasts. Nothing worse in the car than realizing you have nothing to listen to with a hour of traffic to go.

223 Dave March 22, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I like to memorize license plates. See how many I can remember before I forget the first. :)

224 Carl March 22, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I alternate between radio news and audiobooks. I have a collection that I rotate through, and I get new ones from the library website (a lot easier than the days of checking out tombs of audio cassettes, followed by CDs). I would love to do the lectures on my commute, but I am saving my money in case I actually get to attend some post-secondary education in the near future.

225 Tony Wilson March 22, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I’m very fortunate to have a great local station (wfpk) that plays jazz in the early morning hours (til 6 am). I crank it up on my commute and it gives me an extra bounce in my stride as I step out onto the parking lot at work.

226 Jacob Huff March 22, 2011 at 8:19 pm

What I do right when I wake up is what sets my tone for the day. It’s pretty simple. First thing I do is drink a glass of water. Your body is dehydrated when you wake up, plus it gets your metabolism going.

Pretty simple but it works.

227 Dave C March 22, 2011 at 8:30 pm

learn a new language on audio CD……i have a long drive!

228 Jack March 22, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Apple juice beats coffee for a jolt any day with no crash in the afternoon.

229 Casey March 22, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Pandora on my smartphone. I listen to it daily on my commute. Nothing better than listening to what you love and not the crap on most radio stations.

230 Peter March 22, 2011 at 9:19 pm

A lot of times I’ll hop on the bus, sit down, and pull out my book of crossword puzzles. It’s a good way to pass the time and not just sit there watching people get on stop after stop after stop. Otherwise a good book usually helps pass the time, too.

231 Brent March 22, 2011 at 9:20 pm

In the morning I try to pray. Afternoon it’s NPR

232 Brian March 22, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I work on memorizing poetry.

233 PERSON March 22, 2011 at 9:26 pm

This post was written from a motivation for monetary gain and nothing more. That’s sick. This blog has finally been whored out. Unsubscribed!

234 Trenton March 22, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I actually use the driving time to listen to forgien language podcasts.

235 Joe C March 22, 2011 at 9:41 pm

find a good sports talk radio station, argue aloud with the loudmouths

236 Eric Tippin March 22, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I listen to Charles Dickens and sip coffee.

Eric Tippin of The Ink Society

237 Joseph R Marshall March 22, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I’m listening to Will Oldham or George RR Martin.

238 Roger March 22, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I commute a brutal 7 miles every third day, so its not really a grind for me. Made it a point to really improve the stereo in my truck and I try an ecletic mix of music, some audio books, and sometimes just rolling the window down and taking in the air. If I have some extra time, I might even try going a different way to work, just to see what’s on that path.

239 Craig Carmack March 22, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I read a Psalm or a Proverb each morning. Nothing like the Word of God to wake you up.

240 Greg March 22, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Ive been using one of the smaller Stanley Thermos for years,keeps my coffee hot while i listen to the BBC on the local NPR station.

241 Dan March 22, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I just started a monster commute, going 90 miles from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara 5 days a week. I’ve already made a HUGE improvement with audio books and podcasts. Learning on the drive also gets my mind in gear as much as a cup of coffee gets my body going too!

242 Don March 22, 2011 at 10:11 pm

A newspaper at breakfast is all I need.

243 Eli March 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm

KEXP 90.3 Seattle….Stream it on your phone. A great start

244 bob March 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Every morning I get up at 3:45am and my wonderful wife gets up with me makes my lunch and then we talk on the phone for my 20 minute commute. It’s amazing how great of a conversation you can have at 4:00 in the morning!

245 Christian March 22, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I plug the ipod in and put it on shuffle. Never know what’s gonna come up.

246 Kevin Hunt March 22, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Stop on the way to pray. Listen to satellite radio. Coffee is essential!

247 Melanie March 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I do a combination of audible books / podcasts and also music for my 120 mile RT commute. I use a Nano for the audible “stuff” podcasts and a 60GB Ipod for the music.

Full disclosure: As a woman I enjoy your blog and share with my other half many of the articles.; – )

248 Tiburcio March 22, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I usually break off from the morning DJ and listen to the NPR news station. I believe that knowing what’s going on is a manly habit that one should pick up, or get catched up with the AoM podcasts! I also have something of my own improvised standing valet where i get everything i need in the morning and get a head start.

249 Noa Morales March 22, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I find that a well brewed (non-starbucks bought) cup of coffee is the best way to start my day. Or I buy from my local coffee shop. Either way, a stanley thermos would be perfect for me.

250 Justin Blumhorst March 22, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I subscribe to some podcasts that I listen to using my Android powered phone. I use Google Listen to manage and listen to my podcasts. The thermos looks awesome! I sure could use one in my commute!

251 Rick March 22, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I love podcasts! The time in the car seems better spent learning than just listening to music.

252 Daniel March 22, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I have found that an early morning run and a cold shower get the blood moving best.

253 Kyle Kane March 22, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I use a simple Carabiner as a key-chain. It lets me attach/detach the keys I need for the day so on the weekend I can clip on my car and house keys but for the work week I can clip on the keys to the theatre where I work.

254 Ben W March 22, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I snapped out of my commute to college classes by riding my bike there and back or walking. If the weather’s good, it’s an excellent way to make the commute more interesting and to get some exercise in a static, academic lifestyle.

255 Jason C March 22, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I second the suggestion of the Stanley Thermos. Right now, I start my day off with fresh brewed coffee, just the smell gets me going and I enjoy drinking it during my commute. Right now I use a regular old plastic travel mug, but my dad had a Stanley Thermos and I remember him filling it up everyday for as far back as my memory goes.

256 Jared March 22, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Carpool with someone, listen to the Great Courses lectures, and discuss them on the ride home. Many people learn best when interacting with others.

257 Dan Lyons March 22, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Listening to episodes of This American Life. With a 30 minute commute each way, I can get an episode in each day.

258 Matt March 22, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Actually, I try at least once a week to say a rosary while driving. This is very effective in not getting road rage during gridlock.

259 Jon K March 22, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I used to be really sluggish getting up… now I wake up an hour earlier and run. Helps get a good jolt in the morning.

260 Eric F March 22, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I listen to NPR’s Marketplace on my ride home.

261 Jeff R. March 22, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Either some Podcasts or just simply silence – thinking on the day ahead so I can be on my game.

262 Trevvor March 22, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Along the lines of the Great Courses audio series, I’ve listened to the NKJV audio Bible during various commutes. These and other books on help the time pass more quickly.

263 Steven B March 22, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Coffee, 30 min of Mike and Mike, then windows down and classic rock on the way to school. Fresh air and a cup of joe always do the trick.

264 Dan March 22, 2011 at 11:52 pm

During my drive, when I remember I will be indoors for the next several hours, I roll down the windows and get some fresh air. When I am in a particularly good mood, I stick my head out like a dog (safely).

265 Danny C March 22, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Books on tape are wonderful for making the time fly. And they’re free, from your local library. My favorite one is Angela’s Ashes, read by the author, Frank McCourt. If you’re new to books on tape, and not sure if you’ll like them, get a collection of short stories to start with.

266 Greg M March 23, 2011 at 12:02 am

I have a 1.5 hour train ride each way daily, so I used it to study for a Master’s Degree, basic Chinese proficiency and now I’m working toward a different job-related certification. I view it as having a guaranteed 3 hour study period during the day. Seats on a crowded train aren’t guaranteed, so I make sure that I keep all materials small and easy to carry. An iPod/iPhone with relevant audio and video files and applications such as a financial calculator is a must!

267 nick hayes March 23, 2011 at 12:15 am

Instead of driving the car to work some days I ride my bike. It takes a little longer and you have to plan ahead to shower at the office, but it is a great stress reliever to and from work.

268 TJ March 23, 2011 at 12:19 am

Dear AOM,

Every morning on my commute from my home to classes or work, I like to incorporate one of a few techniques. Riding my bike, instead of taking the train, when weather permits is an enjoyable and stress relieving way to break the cycle of mundane commuting. Another thing I try to incorporate, when I do instead take the train, is greeting others with a welcoming “Good Morning.” I find this interaction to be very inviting to the day, not only for myself but also for the person I talk to. You guys are great, keep it up.

TJ

269 Jon Stock March 23, 2011 at 12:26 am

The best thing about my morning commute is some fresh air when I drive with the windows open.

Doesn’t work as well in the winter though.

270 IvanR March 23, 2011 at 12:49 am

I can see the sun now with my morning coffee and the crisp breeze, it is bliss.

271 Asim Kumandan March 23, 2011 at 1:01 am

on days im not late i try to take a different route

272 Carlo d. March 23, 2011 at 1:13 am

My commute is made shorter with my Macbook Pro. I highlight an entire page of a blog entry, right-click and select “speech” to hear it while driving.

273 Matthew March 23, 2011 at 1:47 am

I typically listen to NRP News Podcasts (7AM Update, World Story of the Day, Story of the Day, Foreign Dispatch, It’s All Politics,Intelligence Squared). Also, I listen to iTunes U podcasts (sort of like the Great Course Audio Lectures, but free). Right now I’m listening to the Lessons of Leadership and Political Philosophy.

274 David March 23, 2011 at 1:48 am

Getting up early and spending some quality time with the significant other is the best way to power through your commute, and your day. Podcasts are nice also.

275 Rickard Guy March 23, 2011 at 1:49 am

Ride an old motorcycle and it won’t matter where you’re going.

276 Brian March 23, 2011 at 2:36 am

Irish breakfast tea with milk and sugar, comfortable work shoes and goof-ball music.

277 Jamie March 23, 2011 at 2:41 am

I am a huge fan of podcasts. Particularly NPR’s economics and Marketplace podcasts. While not a substitute for the morning WSJ, they are an acceptable alternative – especially when you are rushed or pressed for time.

278 Ethan Gray March 23, 2011 at 3:25 am

My commute is all about NPR and messing with rude drivers by following the rules extra carefully. There is nothing like following the speed limits in Atlanta traffic. It gets to all the rude drivers from north Atlanta every time.

279 Eric S. March 23, 2011 at 3:41 am

I ride the bus to my college classes and will be adding some new podcasts to listen to. That Valet is awesome though. Plan on making something like this after I move.

280 Jacob March 23, 2011 at 4:19 am

I resent the fact that you relegate music to just ‘background noise’. It can be incredibly inspiring and intellectually stimulating, and sometimes it’s exactly what’s needed to shake off the slumber.

281 John March 23, 2011 at 4:24 am

My commute is rocked by riding my fixie instead of driving. My only complaint is that it only takes me 5 min to get to work. On the way home I tend to do laps around my block just listening to music and enjoying the ride.

282 Shawn Moore March 23, 2011 at 5:20 am

I never want to break my commuting routine. I ride my bike 4 miles to work (2 of them along the greenway so no cars). It is peacefully silent, I have a great appreciation for the subtlest of changes in the weather and I wouldn’t change it for the world even in the coldest, snowiest, rainiest weather. I arrive at work awake and ready to go. Sold my car two years ago and haven’t looked back.

283 dajolt March 23, 2011 at 5:31 am

My daily commute is either a 5-10 minute bike ride or a 60 minute drive.

On the bike ride I try to catch the green traffic light wave – a great way to start the mornig. Basically it means I have to watch the traffic lights at the horizon and then act on them – sometimes riding at full speed, sometimes changing the route.

The hour of car commute usually flies by, helped by NPR podcasts of “This American Life” or WWDTM or time shifted radio.

So instead of snapping out of commute, I just re-label it as quality-me-time as accept it as it is.

284 Mark March 23, 2011 at 5:34 am

1. Work from home one day a month (use Skype)
2. Take a different route (use Garmin to find the scenic way)
3. Carpool once in a while (or the bus)
4. Change your air freshener frequently
5. Get some new shades (I like my Ray-Bans)

285 Daniel March 23, 2011 at 5:44 am

Audio books, either from the library or bought through Audible, definitely make the commute minutes fly by while improving the mind. I highly recommend William F. Buckley’s autobiography “Miles Gone By” read by WFB himself. Now there’s a manly man for you!

286 Eric G March 23, 2011 at 5:48 am

I have 1 hour 10 min commute both ways, and have found that Audio books help pass the time wonderfully. Keeps the stress level down and aids me in keeping up with the latest books out. I even have gotten my kids into listening to them.

287 John Paul March 23, 2011 at 5:51 am

Black coffee, thick as syrup. Step outside and smell the weather. 30 minutes of silence. The Word. 2000 strokes at 90 rpm and I’m at work.

288 Richard March 23, 2011 at 6:10 am

I read a wide selection of non-fiction, classic fiction, and contemporary fiction on my cellphone.

289 Kevin March 23, 2011 at 6:11 am

Since my commute takes me across town, I find it interesting to get on Google maps and find a new way to work. I have found this helps me to not only find a new potentially quicker way to get there, but I see sights, shops, and other things I may never have known existed. I have found new hangouts this way. Oh, and on days where I don’t have time, I always listen to my great courses. The library even has these so they don’t cost me anything.

290 Mathias March 23, 2011 at 6:12 am

MIT’s OpenCourseWare is similar to the Great Lectures mentioned in the post above–except free: http://ocw.mit.edu

291 Mike Webb March 23, 2011 at 6:25 am

I take the dog for a walk then use my XM radio to catch up on world news.

292 Kiley March 23, 2011 at 6:38 am

Audible.com; each and every day is a new journey even though it is the same commute.

293 Robert Luckey March 23, 2011 at 6:45 am

I will try different ways of getting to work occasionally.

294 Charles March 23, 2011 at 6:52 am

I enjoy listening to podcast.

295 JohnC March 23, 2011 at 6:53 am

I’ve enjoyed audiobooks, podcasts, Great Courses and iTunes U courses on my various commutes over the years. I’ve also used the time to practice language instruction with some good results. I agree with the idea of accepting the commute as a part of the day to focus on self-development. Just started a new job that is within biking distance and plan to give that a try. Great article and discussion!

296 JRB March 23, 2011 at 7:10 am

Here’s what I do: I wake up earlier.
I make sure to honestly gauge how much time I need in the morning depending on whether I need to shave or prepare breakfast and coffee and then plan accordingly. Planning my tasks in advance, allow me to set aside just the right amount of time I need before stepping my foot out the door.

297 Alan March 23, 2011 at 7:12 am

Audio Bible makes the morning commute all worth it!

298 Jeff March 23, 2011 at 7:17 am

I drink tea more than coffee. I microwave my water to a boiling temp. I like to time my morning wake up shower to it. On the way home I listen to the redskins podcasts on my iPod.

299 Sean Grogan March 23, 2011 at 7:17 am

I have yo wake up at 4 am to go to work (instead of 630 am to go to school). so my normal routine was going for a run but now i try to do a short workout in my apartment and cook a good breakfast to get my blood flowing (for my 90 minute bus ride to my office)

300 Leon Ally March 23, 2011 at 7:19 am

I mix up my route to work some days….just for the change of scenery.

Comments on this entry are closed.