The Book Deadline Cometh

by Brett & Kate McKay on January 6, 2011 · 24 comments

in Blog

Hey everyone. As many of you know, Kate and I are working on the manuscript for our second book, tentatively titled Manvotionals: Timeless Wisdom and Advice on Living the 7 Manly Virtues. We’ve got a January 17th deadline and we’re working overtime to ensure that it’s as awesome as possible. We’re so excited about this book. As we search the annals of history for the very best insights and inspiration on being an honorable man, we’re leaving absolutely no stone unturned.

But that’s obviously a very time-consuming task and between the blog, baby, and my day job, things have been getting crazy. So to free up more time to devote to the book, Kate and I are taking a break from writing for the blog until January 24th. Not to worry, though. We’ve got a bunch of guest contributions in queue so you’ll still get your daily dose of manliness every day from the site. And we’ve got a ton of great article ideas for when we return that we can’t wait to dig into and share with you.

Just wanted to give you a heads up so you didn’t think we had jumped ship!

See you January 24th!

Yours in Manliness-

Brett

1 Daniel January 6, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Will miss you! Can’t wait for book #2!

2 Greg January 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm

A one week break after? I thought you guys were committed to breaking the mold!

Good luck and godspeed!

3 Brett McKay January 6, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Well Greg, we do indeed break the mold of most blogs in that our posts require many, many hours of research, writing, and editing. Which is why we need the week “off.” Rest assured we will not be sipping cocktails, but instead need the week to prepare posts for the following week.

4 Andrew January 6, 2011 at 11:47 pm

While i am disappointed that y’all will not be writing anything new for a while, i am very much looking forward to this new book.

Thanks for all the work y’all put into this. It’s a huge blessing.

5 Ryan January 6, 2011 at 11:58 pm

What a Man!

6 Nick January 7, 2011 at 12:16 am

Sir,

7 Nick January 7, 2011 at 12:17 am

**oops didnt mean to just send sir!!**

Sir,

Please have a good time off, and come back refreshed and ready to go. we will all miss you. Until next time!!

8 Francisco G January 7, 2011 at 1:28 am

I bought the first book in December and I found it very useful. I cant wait to have in my hands the second book. Take your time Brett I heard of this site like two months ago and there are plenty or articles I can read while you finish the script.

9 Eric C January 7, 2011 at 3:26 am

I have been eagerly waiting for news on this book and it’s release. When the idea was first proposed I set aside money for it. Take your time and enjoy doing what you love with the one you love!

10 Sean January 7, 2011 at 6:39 am

Can’t wait for the newest book! You guys do terrific work and I’ll be sure to order a copy right away!

11 Mak January 7, 2011 at 6:46 am

Hope it will be available on kindle!
Can´t wait for it!

12 Scott Wertel January 7, 2011 at 9:07 am

Two words…
Kindle Version.

13 Jonathan Sutton January 7, 2011 at 9:43 am

Take an extra week for your family. You are a father now. The loyal community will remain.

14 Mick January 7, 2011 at 10:30 am

Fantastic, the deadline you’re working with is my birthday! Also, I agree with Jonathan, take some time for your family and yourself. We’ll all still be here =)

15 Alexander January 8, 2011 at 2:58 am

I am 14 years old, I was looking up some books of interest and discovered your book . I bought it and and I have found great usefulness in this book , I have not finished reading it yet but I can’t wait until the second book has been released .

16 Laihdutuslääkkeet January 8, 2011 at 7:03 am

All the best to you!

17 RJ January 9, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I ran into your site a few years back and found a great source for things I had always wanted to know and learn. I used some of this to help train and interest my Work Team.
For guys who didn’t have Fathers who could teach us the REAL way to cook bacon or how to start a Fire without a Match.. What Essentials are the basics for your Wardrobe, The Traditions of the Hat and how to tie a tie. , this was a God Send. I think this is a Great site ! I do think you and wifey should take some very earned time off after all the book stuff and just be the Human Being. ( Human Be ing ) not Human Doing. rest.. laugh and recharge the batteries. and Bret. thanks for being there for your Husband in all this.

18 zambonesman January 10, 2011 at 12:23 am

So kind of you to beg our indulgence and patience while you put in so much work and passion into the book for us..as a beginning blogger, a father of two, and someone trying to do the right thing most of the time; I empathise with the workload… My alter ego, the Zambonesman, would be happy to supply any guest blogging should you ever need..or to answer any questions, as that is what he does…
happy 2011
z

19 Sebastian January 10, 2011 at 8:10 am

Hey, thank you so much for this. I read manliness for quite a while now, also sporting a stache since last year which made for some fun adventures.
Ever thought about doing some videos? You could also use something like Movielocker to make a dime with it- you can use it to post videos and getting them out for free or donation etc… check it out: http://movielocker.com/
Have a good one,

Sebastian

20 Andy January 11, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Deadlines~not very manly… (I feel that) Dead lines dont apply to craftmaship nor to the arts. Yes if I had a job to be done and a date to do it, I would for my coworkers and my family. I will get the job done timely for my boss; or not take on the job in the first place. Now all Im saying is whether im painting, wittling, woodworking, or even writing prose; It would be a greater sin to “rush” craftsmanship and inspriation than to fail in delivering quality. Take your time, and deliver quality. Your fans will understand…
{Truely this will help avoid “The curse of the sequel”, im sure it will be great reading.}
’till later, I’ll continue to warm the edge of my seat.

21 Miles R. January 16, 2011 at 7:43 am

I eagerly look forward to seeing the book, but I certainly hope that you reconsider the main title (“Manvotionals”).

22 Simon January 19, 2011 at 6:31 am

Hey Brett, is the upcoming book all new/different content from the first book? I was wondering if I should get both or just wait for this one?

23 Michelle January 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Unrelated, but you bear a striking resemblance to this actor off Parks & Rec: http://i.imgur.com/f13uc.jpg.

24 Ethan January 24, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Any estimate on when the book will hit Amazon so I can buy it?