Announcing Art of Manliness Posters

by Brett & Kate McKay on November 29, 2010 · 23 comments

in Blog

We’ve gotten a lot of emails from readers asking us to create some Art of Manliness posters. You know. Something manly you can hang on the wall in your office, garage, or dorm room that inspires you to be the best man you can be. Well, thanks to some help from the incomparable design geniuses at Tankfarm Clothing (the same guys responsible for our outstanding t-shirts designs), we think we’ve created two posters that fit the bill. Ready to check them out? Read on!

Teddy Roosevelt “Man in the Arena” Poster

Click here to view a larger image

A poster of Teddy Roosevelt, smiling at death itself while waving his hat to his admirers. Next to him you’ll find inscribed his manliest and most inspiring quote, “The Man in the Arena.” Whenever dejection and defeat come knocking at your door, simply glance at TR’s toothy grin and hear his voice reminding you that “the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood.” In an instant your manly resolve will be rejuvenated, and you’ll have the vim and vigor to overcome any challenge that comes your way.

24 x 18 inches

$9.99 + $5 Shipping and Handling

Click here to buy the “Man in the Arena” poster from our secure e-store.

Rudyard Kipling “If” Poster

Click here to view  larger image

A poster that depicts Rudyard Kipling’s famous poem “If.” In the background you’ll find Casper David Friedrich’s famous painting “The Wanderer Above the Sea Clouds.” We thought this was a fitting image for such a manly poem. Look how the man looks out upon the majesty below as he contemplates that word with endless possibility, danger, and excitement…. if. Over that image, we took the powerful words of Kipling’s poem and arranged them so they form the word “If.” This poster will be a constant reminder to you of what it takes to be a man. It makes a great gift for a young man to hang in his room.

18 x 24 inches.

$9.99 + $5 Shipping and Handling

Click here to buy the “If” poster from our secure e-store.

We don’t ship internationally (yet). Our apologies to our loyal international readers.

We had a lot of fun designing these posters. We hope you enjoy them. They make a great holiday gift!

1 Adi November 29, 2010 at 11:43 am

Hey there AoM, I believe your “If” poster has a typo–does it say “…and never breath a word about your loss”? It should be “breathE”–the verb, not the noun.

2 Andrew November 29, 2010 at 11:48 am

I really like the Kipling poster, but when I was reading it I think you misspelled “breathe” by spelling it “breath” (the noun version where it should be a verb).

I have looked on other websites to see if this variation was an alternative spelling at the time, but other places this poem is published spell it “breathe,” as I thought it should have been spelled. I’d buy the poem, but I tend to have a sensitivity to typos and I don’t think I’d ever stop staring at the worth “breath” as it is printed. Maybe I will get the Roosevelt one instead.

3 Brett & Kate McKay November 29, 2010 at 12:31 pm

@Adi and Andrew-

The typo only appears on the proof picture-it won’t appear on the actual poster itself.

4 Sergey Zabarin November 29, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Awesome stuff but, like Peter’s soup or salad choice, I am now faced with the dilemma of which one to get.

5 Tony Ryan November 29, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Great stuff guys, I’m really diggin’ the quote you used from Teddy Roosevelt. The posters themselves look awesome – they look super professional and something I would have seen out of a Speceners or allposters.com

6 Curt Weil November 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Great list! I went to the pipe-maker’s site and may very well buy one.
BTW, the knife features a marlinspike, not a Marlin’s Pike! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlinspike)

7 Ben R November 29, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I like the Theodore Roosevelt poster, but I find the huge AoM logo a bit distracting. Unlike the text at the bottom of the Kipling poster that blends in with the art and style, the logo on the Teddy poster is an obtrusive watermark.

8 jb November 30, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I have to agree with Ben, about the placement of the logo. It’s too big. I love AOM but I want the focus on Teddy and the quote.. my eye goes straight to your logo.

9 Darrell November 30, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Well I personally like the AoM logo in the TR poster. What’s the point of an ART OF MANLINESS poster that’s just a regular poster?

10 Ben R November 30, 2010 at 5:06 pm

@Darrell

It has more to do that the logo does not at all integrate with the poster and is obviously there just as brand marking. It is an eye sore and is the first thing I noticed when I looked at the poster. I’m considering buying it, cropping it down, and framing it, but that would make it almost a square shaped poster which might look weird.

The Kipling AoM branding is much better designed. The type face matches the rest of the poster and is in a smaller and less bold font than “Rudyard Kipling” which is the point of the poster. When you look at the poster you don’t immediately say “gee this is an Art of Manliness poster.” You look at it, read it, and see at the bottom in a natural way who published it. The Teddy one just doesn’t have the eloquence. The first thing I would like people to read when seeing that poster is the quote, not the logo.

11 Brett McKay November 30, 2010 at 5:16 pm

“gee this is an Art of Manliness poster.”

That’s pretty much what we were going for. It is an Art of Manliness poster. If you’d like a plain Theodore Roosevelt poster, you can buy that anywhere else.

12 Ben R November 30, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I think there is a difference though Brett. Your T-shirts and Kipling poster actually do visually appealing and balanced ways of integrating your marketing. In fact another TR product you do the Bull Moose shirt, does not even have your logo on it as far as I can tell. The Teddy poster looks like your branding is just a stamp put on a cool product. I think it would have looked more appealing if the AoM branding was not the logo and well placed text in the signature AoM typeface in a size that is less than twice the size of other fonts used on the poster. I think a lot of it has to do with the out of place and huge color contrast of the logo creates with a black box and a white background. I think the same logo would have looked more integrated if it were stuck on the bottom right where the black card would blend in better, yet the white text still be very readable.

13 Stephen H November 30, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Clearly Ben R. is offering to design your next poster. He obviously has the expertise of a professional graphic designer. It would be silly to sit and criticize it so strongly (repetitively) otherwise.

Because then he could, you know, just not buy it. After all, a lot of us like the logo placement; we think you should have the poster designed however you like it best.

14 allswagga November 30, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Nice work Brett! The posters are clean, simple and classic. Keep them coming.

15 Kurt December 1, 2010 at 12:12 am

Fantastic. The Kipling poem set on “Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog” is especially stunning. I would love to put these posters up in my classroom. Any idea when international shipping will be available?

16 Matthew December 2, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Absolutely excellent. I would suggest making some of the Motivational posters available for purchase as well. I’ve been wanting to see them on my wall since you published them.

17 Darren Singleton December 14, 2010 at 7:06 am

I’m really liking the look of the Rudyard Kipling poster and would really like to get my hands on one. You say you don’t do International shipping (yet), are there any estimates as to when these may be available to the UK?

Thanks,
Darren

18 Bojan D December 14, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Awesome posters. Kipling’s “If” left me speechless, deep poem. Hope you will start to send these internationally because I would love them both on my wall.
Just a thought, I read the comments, I like Matthews idea about motivational posters it would be great if you would print and send them ( internationally too), and for T. Roosevelt’s poster, i think it would look better if you would type the AoM on the bottom or top of the poster ( just my opinion). But it is an AoM poster so I have to respect that.
I hope posters will be sent internationally soon.
Love the posters and the site. Keep up the good work!
Bojan

19 Peter March 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm

When do you all plan to get more posters?

20 Danni March 18, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I want Kipling’s “If” poster for a gift for a friend! When will there me more available? It’s the best I’ve seen.
Thanks!

21 Daniel May 7, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I just graduated from law school and was your page with the Winston Churchill motivational posters as I began to gear up for Bar preparation. I then stumbled on this poster and cannot think of a better addition to my study room and future office. When will more become available?

22 joey joe joe junior shabadu May 11, 2013 at 7:33 am

I had the idea “they should really make motivational posters so that the only ones available aren’t those stupid corporate ones”, but looks like you already had it.

Another product idea for AoM: the manly picture frame. I’m thinking something made of a nice dark wood with the seven manly virtues inscribed, which men could use to put their dad, grandpa, or other personal model of manliness.

23 Chad June 30, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I got the Teddy Roosevelt poster a while back and I love it. I’m really kicking myself for not getting the “If” one when I had the chance. I really hope they become available again. I will buy one the second they are. Maybe even two.