Every time I turn on a football game, I see players with pink shoelaces and pink gloves and pink towels, all promoting breast cancer awareness. This year the White House was bathed in pink light and even the fire trucks in my town got painted pink for the cause. Now I’m all for saving the world’s wonderful tata’s, but men have a cancer all of their own, and it unfortunately doesn’t get quite as much attention (I guess nobody wants to think about a guy’s junk when they’re peeling off the top of their yogurt.)
But Movember is an effort to change that. Started in 2003, Movember is an annual, month-long celebration of the mustache, highlighting men’s health issues – specifically prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and male depression. During the month of November, men grow a mustache and raise funds for charities like the Prostate Cancer Foundation and the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LIVESTRONG).
We’re going to be celebrating Movember here on the Art of Manliness website by inviting readers to grow a mo during the month of November. Last year the AoM Movember team raised over $8,000! I think we can double that this year. Ready to join us in the fight against prostate cancer? Here’s what to do.
How the Contest Works:
1. Awesomely manly Aussie and Movember veteran Shaun Daws has started an Art of Manliness team on the Movember site. As team captain, he’ll be keeping an eye on the leader board and encouraging you along.
To join the Art of Manliness team, you must register on the Movember site. You must register as a “team member” so we can keep track of your progress. You can register for the AoM Movember team by clicking on one of the following links depending on where you live.
2. On November 1, you must start out clean shaven. You will then commence the growing of your beautiful, hairy mustache masterpiece. You cannot shave your mo until Nov. 30, and you must adhere to the following grooming rules:
- There is to be no joining of the Mo at the sideburns – that’s a beard
- There is to be no joining of the handlebars at the chin – that’s a goatee
- A small complimentary growth under the chin is allowed (aka The Tickler)
3. During the month, hit up friends and family to donate to the cause. Raise as much money as you can!
4. Shaun has created a Movember Group in the Art of Manliness Community. Join the group and encourage your brothers. Shaun will be posting news, pictures, and updates, and you should do likewise. Let everyone see how your stache is progressing!
5. If you don’t have the cojones to grow a mustache (or if you don’t have cojones, period) you can still donate to the AoM Movember Team.
Men, this is your big chance to grow the mustache you’ve always dreamed of having but been too scared to attempt. The beauty of Movember is that during the early growing stage, the stage where the newly formed mustache’s appearance is so unsightly that men give up and shave, you have a ready and worthy excuse for why you look like a child molester. People will not only abstain from laughing at you, men will pat you on the back and women will french kiss you with joy. Then, at the end of the month, when the awesomeness of your stache is in full bloom, people will be in such awe of your cookie duster that they will beg you not to shave it off. It’s win-win here, folks.
Speaking of winning, finally having the manly mustache of your dreams is not the only prize. The Art of Manliness team member who raises the most money will be richly rewarded for the effort with awesomely manly booty:
Runner-Up: An Art of Manliness T-Shirt
The first runner-up will get to select a shirt from one of our 13 manly t-shirt designs.
The Grand Prize: Saddleback Leather Company Dopp Kit + Classic Shaving Gear
The AoM Movember Team Member who raises the most money will receive a handsome chestnut, medium sized Saddleback Leather Dopp Kit. A big thank you to Saddleback Leather Company for kindly donating this handsome travel case!
This is a great prize in and of itself. But that’s not all. Packed inside this uber-manly dopp kit will be:
A Merkur Safety Razor
A Badger Hair Shaving Brush
Taylor of Bond Street Shaving Cream
A Signed Copy of the Art of Manliness: Classic Skills and Manners for the Modern Man
One awesome bag of manliness!
So get those mustaches growing men! Do it for the cause! Do it for the prize-packed travel case! Do it for the chance to finally grow the mustache of your dreams!
Last updated: October 31, 2013