Reminder: Shoe Shine Saturday Is Tomorrow!

by Brett & Kate McKay on October 1, 2010 · 16 comments

in Blog

Just a friendly reminder that our Shoe Shine Saturday Photo Contest sponsored by KIWI Shoe Care is tomorrow. Up for grabs is the Ultimate Shoe Shine Kit from KIWI and a handsome, handmade in America cedar shoe shine box. I just got the box in the mail yesterday. I have to say, I’m jealous of the man who wins this thing. I’m gonna have to put it on my Christmas list.

And you can fill this awesome box with a myriad of KIWI products:

• KIWI Express Shine Sponges
  • KIWI Instant Wax Shine
  • KIWI Brush
  • KIWI Shine Cloth
  • Tins of Polish

Plus, KIWI is also throwing in a leather belt, a leather wallet, and a $100 Gift Card to Target. Sweet.

Here’s how you can get your hands on this awesome setup:

To enter, take a picture of your shoes after you shine them. Show us just how shiny and smooth you can get them! Before and after pictures are encouraged. To submit a photo:

Step 1. Join the Art of Manliness Community.
Step 2. Take a picture of your best shined shoes after shining them on Shoe Shine Saturday.
Step 3. Upload the photo to the Art of Manliness Community photo page.

Deadline to enter is Monday, October 4, 2010 by 7PM EST.

Entries will be judged on the quality of the shoe shine and the creativity and quality of the picture. Brownie points can be earned if your picture includes KIWI products. (Hey, they’re sponsoring the contest!)

Here are the submissions we’ve received so far:

To get the latest shoe care tips and deals on KIWI products, become a fan of KIWI on Facebook, follow them on Twitter and visit www.kiwicare.com.

1 Paul October 1, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Are you interested in seeing some results from you fans? Don’t publish this comment if you’d rather not.

Cheers!

Paul

2 London October 2, 2010 at 12:13 am

@Paul …what?

3 Edge of David October 2, 2010 at 12:54 pm

After my time in the military reserve I can shine a boot or a shoe like no ones business. Me and my buddies actually came up with a cheat that takes litterally 3 minutes and looks professionally done.

4 Horatius October 2, 2010 at 1:33 pm

very nice photos. My vote is for the cowboy boots on the round bale

5 Troy C October 3, 2010 at 12:47 am

Man I hope I did everything right when I uploaded my pics. I actually did two pairs of boots, I guess not very inspired picture taking but the work I put into my boots outweighs that I hope :)

6 Scott October 3, 2010 at 2:59 am

Maybe a silly question, but i’ve never seen a shine box before… the top of the box… is that to rest the shoe against?

7 Andy October 3, 2010 at 3:53 am

No, this isn’t me, but gotta love the attention to detail here:

8 Beowulf87 October 4, 2010 at 12:22 am
9 Charles October 6, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Hi – How do we know if we have entered – I put the photos on the community page but they dont appear in the Shoe Shine slideshow – not that I am competitive – but was pining after that cedar box. Great competition me and the boy loved it!

10 Ted Slampyak October 10, 2010 at 10:38 pm

So… has a winner been chosen yet? I’ve been checking back every other day since last weekend! I can’t wait know who won!

11 Matt October 10, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Sad…I got all excited to enter, took a picture of my shoes….and then realized that I’m a week late. Maybe I need to spend more time looking at a calendar than shining my shoes.

12 Brett McKay October 12, 2010 at 1:41 am

The top five have been selected by us and now it’s up to the folks at Kiwi to pick a winner. I would imagine they’d have their pick in about a week. Hopefully less!

13 Ted Slampyak October 12, 2010 at 11:20 pm

We’ll try to be patient. Thanks for the update, Brett!

14 Ray October 15, 2010 at 2:28 am

Two thoughts; first an article on the manly art of buying shoes is evidently in order–I know Clydesdales who wouldn’t be caught dead in most of those shoes (“he said you must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?) “Hint: if it can’t be resoled, it ain’t really a shoe. And second, how about some timely tips on the manly art of photography? The first paragraph should endeavor make one point crystal clear: your phone is NOT a camera! You might direct your readers to study the works of the late Helmet Newton. It won’t make them better photographers, but they will thank you none the less.

15 Ray October 15, 2010 at 2:31 am

Two thoughts; first an article on the manly art of buying shoes is evidently in order–I know Clydesdales who wouldn’t be caught dead in most of those shoes (“he said you must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?”). Hint: if it can’t be resoled, it ain’t really a shoe. And second, how about some timely tips on the manly art of photography? The first paragraph should endeavor make one point crystal clear: your phone is NOT a camera. You might direct your readers to study the works of the late Helmet Newton. It won’t make them better photographers, but they will thank you none the less.

16 alice August 30, 2013 at 9:24 am

like I was saying a black zippered all the way down cardigan, crew neck with a subtle pattern something like see on the old school bowling shirts like maybe a stripe down each side of the zipper in a contrasting color, white, beige or whatever….do you know where I can find one? Did I mention he needs a 3x? I would be so grateful. Thanks ever so much, Alice