Shoe Shine Saturday Photo Contest Sponsored by Kiwi Shoe Care

by Brett & Kate McKay on September 24, 2010 · 18 comments

in Contest

My dad had a manly tradition that I fondly remember from my childhood. Maybe yours had the same one. One Saturday every month, my dad would pull out his wooden shoe polish kit packed with tins of KIWI shoe polish and take all his boots to the den to polish them. He usually watched In the Heat of the Night or a football game while he did it. He had a personal technique, as I’m sure most men do, to get that perfect shine. The warm smell of shoe polish and leather filled the entire room, and it would usually linger there for an hour after he finished.

Now that I’m a man myself, I’m trying to establish the manly tradition of “Shoe Shine Saturday” in my own life. I’ll admit that I haven’t been the best at maintaining my shoes. I’ve sometimes gone months without shining them. But I’ve learned that a pair of glossy, well-shined shoes can pull an entire outfit together and mark you as a disciplined man who pays attention to detail.

Moreover, treating your shoes on a regular basis with waterproof polishes shields your shoes from the elements and ensures they’ll be looking brand new 20 years down the road.

Besides keeping my shoes in tiptop shape, another benefit I’ve found from Shoe Shine Saturday is that it provides a ritual that gives me time to meditate and think deep manly thoughts. The quiet, repetitive activity of brushing your shoes  really settles the mind.

Will you join me in establishing the manly tradition of Shoe Shine Saturday in your life? To motivate you to take part, we’ve partnered with KIWI Shoe Care to kick things off with a shoe shining contest.

Shoe Shine Saturday Contest Sponsored by KIWI Shoe Care

To get you into the Shoe Shine Saturday swing of things, we’re having a shoe shine contest on Saturday, October 2, 2010.
To enter, take a picture of your shoes after you shine them. Show us just how shiny and smooth you can get them! Before and after pictures are encouraged. To submit a photo:

Step 1. Join the Art of Manliness Community.
Step 2. Take a picture of your best shined shoes after shining them on Shoe Shine Saturday.
Step 3. Upload the photo to the Art of Manliness Community photo page.

Deadline to enter is Monday, October 4, 2010 by 7PM EST.

Entries will be judged on the quality of the shoe shine and the creativity and quality of the picture. Brownie points can be earned if your picture includes KIWI products. (Hey, they’re sponsoring the contest!)

The Prize

Up for grabs is everything you’ll need to keep the tradition of Shoe Shine Saturday going for decades to come.

A Wooden Shoe Shine Box Provided by the Art of Manliness:

This handcrafted, cedar shoe shine box is proudly made in Northern Minnesota by George’s Shoes and Repair, which has been in business since 1905! The only thing better than the smell of shoe polish is the smell of shoe polish and cedar.

And to fill your handsome shoe shine box:

The Ultimate Shoe Care Kit from KIWI full of products like:

• KIWI Express Shine Sponges
  • KIWI Instant Wax Shine
  • KIWI brush
  • KIWI Shine Cloth
  • Tins of Polish
  • a handsome leather  belt you can wear while shining your shoes
  • a leather wallet that you can shine when you run out of shoes

Plus: KIWI is also throwing in a $100 Gift Card to Target.

About KIWI Shoe Care

Started in 1906, KIWI Shoe Care has been part of the manly tradition of Shoe Shine Saturdays for over a century. During WWI and WWII, KIWI shoe polish kept the shoes of soldiers shined and ready for inspection.

Today, KIWI has expanded their product line from their classic polish to adjust to the needs of the modern man. For example, KIWI’s Express Shine Sponge is the perfect solution for the busy man. With a clear shine liquid and a hint of color in the sponge, you can easily and completely shine your shoes in a matter of minutes. No mess. No buffing. No problem. It beats rubbing your shoe against the back of your pant leg!

To get the latest shoe care tips and deals on KIWI products, become a fan of KIWI on Facebook, follow them on Twitter and visit www.kiwicare.com.

Read the official rules for the Contest.

1 Paul September 24, 2010 at 4:42 pm

This is a great post. I polish my shoes when I’m watching TV or a movie, or on the lanai watching the the classic car auto auctions (a favorite time for me). I work with some men who buy a pair of shoes and absolutely NEVER put polish or a brush to their shoes, but show up in suits everyday.

There should be a good-grooming class in college that all men MUST pass.

2 Kyle September 24, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Oh, this would be really convenient to have! I’ve just been getting the hang of polishing my boots, being a fairly new recruit to the military. On that note, though, I was wondering if it’d be okay to upload the photo early. The reason being, my shiny boots and I will be off at basic training during that particular Saturday.

3 Adventure-Some Matthew September 24, 2010 at 8:19 pm

What a great idea! I was just thinking yesterday that I need to polish my boots. Unfortunately, it rained today, so now I have to wait for them to dry out. Maybe tomorrow (which would be fitting, since that’s Saturday.)

I probably won’t be entering the contest, since I already have a shoe-shine box. I inherited Dad’s, full of everything that I need. That is a gorgeous box, and I’d rather it go to someone else who needs it more. (If, however, you want to split the Target card, I’m certainly up for that.)

4 MikeW September 25, 2010 at 1:00 am

Good luck to everyone else – ’cause my technique is the envy of Olympus.

5 Luke P September 25, 2010 at 4:16 am

I’ve always suspected that the British Army has shares in Kiwi, such is the insistence of NCOs only to use Kiwi polish.

6 Seth B. September 25, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Shoe shining is cathartic for me. I uploaded my shoes shined pic to the community. I really hope to win the box, it’s gorgeous.

7 Brett McKay September 27, 2010 at 12:46 am

@Kyle-

Uploading your pictures anytime before the deadline is fine.

8 Rob September 27, 2010 at 11:19 am

I will say that the Kiwi Instant shine is darn good stuff. its about 90% of the way without any of the buffing. In fact, the buffing takes a lot of shine away. Still, its not the 100% that you get with the elbow grease.
Also, I swear I’m not a mole for Kiwi.

9 Jason September 27, 2010 at 8:09 pm

@Brett, I have submitted one before and two after pictures. Should I just choose one “after” picture to use or is two OK?

10 Dan September 28, 2010 at 12:43 am

I’ve been trying to get into this practice, though I could do better. I’ve also been buying leather more lately, since I have seen how well it can hold up with good care.

11 Seth B. September 28, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Hot dog. I was afraid that uploading early would disqualify me. I went and retook my picture and uploaded it, now.

12 Brett McKay September 28, 2010 at 6:41 pm

@Jason-

Two is a-okay.

13 Jason September 28, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Thanks Brett…

14 Amanda September 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm

It’s almost not fair, this competition, if you have a former/ current military school cadet in the mix.

Corframs are for the unindustrious and laggards.

15 Noel C. Hankamer October 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I posted my shoe shine photo, but since I used some George shoes from Wal-Mart, I bet there is no chance I’ll win!
How do I know if the photo gets in the contest?

16 Tony October 6, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I am anxious to hear/see the results of the contest. I submitted my photos, and have to say while I am very proud of my work there are some out there with exceptional skill. Is there any word on when we will be hearing about the results?

17 Troy Carrell October 7, 2010 at 9:51 am

Agggghhhh! I can’t wait when do we find out!!! HAHA

18 Rocco October 7, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Well I’m British and an ex-serviceman and it will be a Cold Day in the Devil’s House before I put anything other than Kiwi polish on my shoes. This all stems from an incident in basic training when the Staff Sergeant found a tin of non-Kiwi in my locker and went ballistic. This principal is so deeply ingrained that I actually became incensed one time when I asked my brother to get me a tin of polish while he was out and he came back with that Cherry Blossom muck.
Suppressed psychological trauma aside, Kiwi is probably the best shoe polish on the market (at least in the UK). I use the regular Kiwi on my workboots and the Parade Gloss on my dress shoes. The parade gloss especially brings em up to a mirror finish using a soft cloth, water and plenty of perseverance.