Download the Lessons in Manliness eBook

by Brett & Kate McKay on May 14, 2010 · 13 comments

in Blog

Edit: The download link should be working now.

Back in March we did a group writing project here on AoM where we asked readers to submit essays on the lessons in manliness they’ve learned from a man in their life. We received 46 submissions from men who shared stories about the grandfathers, friends, and mentors who have lived lives that showcase the very best in being an honorable man.

I’ve finally put all the submissions into a nicely formatted eBook so that everyone can enjoy and hopefully learn from the lives of ordinary men who have helped pass the art of manliness on to others. At over 100 pages long, it’s pretty substantial for an eBook. And it’s completely free.

So download the FREE Lessons in Manliness eBook now! Please share it with as many people as you want. Update: Ebook no longer available. Sorry!

I hope you enjoy it, and if you missed out on submitting a Lessons in Manliness essay this time around, we’ll probably be doing this again in a year. So stay tuned.

Finally, a big thank you goes out to all those who contributed to this project. Kate and I really enjoyed reading your submissions and were inspired and touched by the men you wrote about. Thank you for taking the time to honor these men and for sharing their stories with the men of AoM.

Lessons in Manliness Group Writing Project Winner

To encourage people to submit something to the project, we offered a Box of Manliness as a prize. What’s a Box of Manliness? Behold.

We randomly selected one person from all the submissions. And the big winner is…

Mike Lambert from Virginia. Congrats, Mike! You’ll be getting your Box of Manliness in the mail shortly.

1 John May 14, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Congratulations to Mike.

2 Chris Mower May 14, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I was just talking about this the other day with a friend. I’m glad you completed it (and thanks to everyone who submitted) so soon. Perhaps the next time around I’ll submit an entry.

And to Mike Lambert from Virginia: Congratulations!

3 Brady J. Frey May 14, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Any chance for an ePub version for my iPad? Coding it is very easy if you know how to code a webpage (feel free to ask if you need a hand, I’ve had to do a few at work) or try http://calibre-ebook.com/ but you’ll want to do some code clean up after that export.

4 David @ Super Awesome Dating May 14, 2010 at 7:45 pm

It is working for me. Very cool idea Brett. glad to see that this project turned out really well.

5 Ken May 15, 2010 at 6:33 am

Thank you so much for this wonderful resource!
Ken

6 mattie May 15, 2010 at 8:40 am

Greetings gents,
I’m just getting started, and I am very pleased with this book so far! I especially like the opening story of the “Mountain Man” Bob Powers. Thanks again AoM.
Mattie

7 M.C. Mays Pulliam May 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Character defines the man, let’s start by teaching young men how to be gentlemen !
Macho, barbaric caveman mentality is out, women appreciate men of class and character !

8 Schmidty - Man Vs. Style May 15, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Thanks Brett. Great idea and looking forward to reading it. Cheers, Schmidty

9 dajolt May 17, 2010 at 3:00 am

Thanks for the book!

I second Brady’s opinion: This book would benefit a lot from a conversion to EPUB or some other ebook format. Once it is in one of the proper ebook formats, any reader can convert it using Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) and the book with look great on ebook-readers like the B&N Nook or Amazon Kindle. Pdf-files look like a mess on these devices, even a HTML version of the book would be a vast improvement.

10 Doanh May 17, 2010 at 11:56 am

Truly amazing. I learned a lot about how to be a man from these examples of extraordinary gentlemen. I am really glad that I stumbled upon this website at my age (22). Just as I will start to head out into the real world, I have some wonderful role models to look up to and shape my life by.

Thanks everybody for your contribution

11 Justin Powers May 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm

The book looks excellent, I am honored to be (randomly?) selected to be the first entry. Thank you for your kind compliments mattie. It warms my heart to know that my grandfather’s story can still inspire. His influence is a large reason why I follow this blog, and try as much as possible to grow into my manhood. The world would certainly be a better place if more young men followed in the footsteps of those in this book.

12 Justin Powers May 17, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Brett,

Is there any chance that there will be an opportunity to purchase a hard-copy version of this book? I normally wouldn’t want/need one, but my grandmother (wife to Bob Powers from the first entry) doesn’t have internet, and I would love to gift the book to her.

13 Ray Crego May 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Hello,

Wondering what the chances are of a hard-copy of this? I would rather have AoM get my money than staples or something like that.